PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky leaving I-AA?

Ronbo
July 17th, 2006, 11:36 PM
From the Big Sky Conference meetings.

It was announced on KPAX news tonight that the 2006 season will be the last year that the Big Sky Conference will compete under the I-AA classification. I'm as confused as anyone. I think they're really really pissed off about the name change being put off and the 12 game season being defeated. No name change and the Conference goes I-A? You tell me. I'll look for a news story in the papers tomorrow.

McNeese75
July 17th, 2006, 11:44 PM
NAIA???????:eek:

Ronbo
July 17th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Well I doubt that but Division I is what they want. This is a ploy to force the issue I reckon. They're going to blackmail the NCAA for the name change. If they don't get it bye bye I-AA. That's what I get from this.

superbrett2000
July 17th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I didnt think the Big Sky was even in support of a 12 game season... I dont see them dropping to D-II nor can I see most of the member schools being able to support I-A.

July 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM
From the Big Sky Conference meetings. It was announced on KPAX news tonight that the 2006 season will be the last year that the Big Sky Conference will compete under the I-AA classification...It's because it will not be called I-AA next year. We all know that.

rokamortis
July 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM
It's because it will not be called I-AA next year. We all know that.

We do? Link? As far as I'm aware there haven't been any official releases on what it will be called. The last time we 'knew' it was going to change it didn't.

Ronbo
July 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM
That's got to be all it is.

MplsBison
July 18th, 2006, 07:52 AM
The only school I could see in I-A is Montana. But then they would go from national championship contenders to San Jose State.

Tribe4SF
July 18th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Much ado about nothing.xcoffeex

AppGuy04
July 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Believe it when I see it

Green Cookie Monster
July 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM

It was announced on KPAX news tonight that the 2006 season will be the last year that the Big Sky Conference will compete under the I-AA classification. I'm as confused as anyone. I think they're really really pissed off about the name change being put off and the 12 game season being defeated. No name change and the Conference goes I-A? You tell me. I'll look for a news story in the papers tomorrow.

How? EWU and UNC don't have stadiums in the 15K range. Same with ISU at 12K.

UM-23K
Sac-21K
PSU-20K
Weber-17K
MSU-14K
NAU-15K

How would EWU and UNC fund 85 schollies with only 6-8K stadiums and pass the NCAA requirement of 15K attendance? Plus, the Title IX requirements.

Ronbo
July 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Might be a case of bad reporting. Here is the guys exact quote.

"Also it was announced that 2006 will be the last season that the Big Sky will compete in the I-AA classification."

No futher clarification.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

NoCoDanny
July 18th, 2006, 09:02 AM
It was in reference to the name change. Fullerton was quoted in the Greeley Tribune talking about that. I'm to lazy to get a link though but it's there.

GeauxColonels
July 18th, 2006, 09:45 AM

"Also it was announced that 2006 will be the last season that the Big Sky will compete in the I-AA classification."

No futher clarification.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
The sad thing is that many of these media-types try to report on I-AA issues based SOLEY on what was told to them by some intern who knows even less about the subject. Then they report, people believe everything they say and confusion runs rampant. :bang:

Mr. C
July 18th, 2006, 10:27 AM

The Big Sky Conference isn't noted for having the sharpest tacks in the box for reporters (outside of the newspaper folks who cover the Montana schools). It seems like every year about this time, we are discussing something stupid that was written by a Big Sky media outlet — most often something that comes out of Portland State's media.

ncbears
July 18th, 2006, 10:57 AM
NoCoDanny is correct, here's an article in the Greeley Trib

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20060718/SPORTS/107180074

GeauxColonels
July 18th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Thought so. Once again, a classic example of the media personalities pretending to know what's going on in I-AA.

NoCoDanny
July 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM
NoCoDanny is correct, here's an article in the Greeley Trib

http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20060718/SPORTS/107180074

Here is his exact quote in context:

The commissioner also hinted that the Division I-AA football playoffs could be known by a different name by 2007.

"We're interested in a name that's football specific so people won't refer to basketball as I-AA. It refers to football only."

One name that's being discussed is Football Playoff Championship Series.

July 18th, 2006, 03:18 PM
We do? Link? As far as I'm aware there haven't been any official releases on what it will be called. The last time we 'knew' it was going to change it didn't.Well, I was speaking to people who pay close attention to I-AA and the NCAA. Seems like every show of I-AA WAVES this year talked about the imminent change which currently sits on the agenda of the management council waiting to be passed (next meeting within a month). Every other hurdle was cleared. When it is passed we will know the names but there is no opposition.

McTailGator
July 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM

Anticipating that I-AA will no longer have A's in it I bet...

GOKATS
July 19th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Sorry...., but this has to be one of the stupidest threads I've seen on AGS.

blukeys
July 19th, 2006, 08:12 PM
The Big Sky Conference isn't noted for having the sharpest tacks in the box for reporters (outside of the newspaper folks who cover the Montana schools). It seems like every year about this time, we are discussing something stupid that was written by a Big Sky media outlet — most often something that comes out of Portland State's media.

LMAO!!!!!!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

You are so on target. Thanx to the internet I can read these guys and to say they are clueless is giving them too much credit.

When it comes to the PSU media, they may have the six cans of beer but they are lacking the plastic thingy that keeps the cans together!!!!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

paytonlives
July 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Sorry...., but this has to be one of the stupidest threads I've seen on AGS.
stupidest- Nic ta see tha kittie edacation is workin' fo ya!!!

GOKATS
July 19th, 2006, 09:01 PM
stupidist- Nic ta see tha kittie edacation is workin' fo ya!!!

Didn't think there was a chance in the world that a 'grizidiot' would pick up on (or wallow) in a typo that simple.

My comment remains the same re the thread.