PDA

View Full Version : UND to build IPF!!!!!!

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670708

GRAND FORKS, N.D. - Altru Health System has pledged a $10 million gift to the University of North Dakota through the UND Foundation in support of a sports medicine partnership between Altru and UND. According to UND President Robert Kelley, $9 million will serve as the leadership gift for a new UND Athletics Complex, an indoor practice and competition facility on campus.

ABOUT THE GIFT
"This $10 million gift from Altru is one of the largest made in support of North Dakota Spirit | The Campaign for UND, which strives to raise $300 million for UND's passionate students, inspirational educators, innovative programs and extraordinary places like the new athletics complex," said President Kelley. It will be paid over 30 years.

Altru's gift to UND is the most recent example of Altru Health System's fulfillment of its mission by strengthening ties to other organizations. Last year, Altru became the first member in the nation of the Mayo Clinic Care Network. The relationship brings Mayo Clinic knowledge and expertise to Grand Forks by providing access to systems previously available only within Mayo Clinic. In 2010, Altru announced a gift of $6.5 million to the Grand Forks Park District and YMCA to enable them to replace and remodel fitness facilities.

"This gift will help build a transformational facility that is the essence of the North Dakota Spirit Campaign," said Tim O'Keefe, Executive Vice President and CEO of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation. "This gift provides immediate excitement as well as the necessary momentum to raise the remaining $26 million of the $300 million goal." Learn more about the campaign at spirit.und.edu.

ABOUT THE FACILITY
The UND Athletics Complex will provide a state-of-the-art strength and conditioning area, a student-athlete academic center and sports medicine space for all UND Athletics teams. Additionally, it will provide a practice and training facility for the football, track and field and soccer teams. The facility will serve the community by offering a host site for youth athletics camps and college and youth track and field meets.

"Our mission is to build champions, and this facility will play a key role in doing exactly that. As UND Athletics has made the commitment to excellence in Division I competition, the need for an indoor practice and competition facility on campus has become clear," said UND Director of Athletics Brian Faison. "This is a game changer for UND Athletics."

http://www.undsports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&OEM_ID=13500&PALBID=484752&KEY=

This is a link to pics of the new IPF.

BluBengal07
August 29th, 2012, 10:19 AM
that's a lot from $10 million. congrats UND.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM

They paid 1 million to the new turf just put in at the Alerus Center. As the only hospital in Grand Forks its a great gift and partnership they have with UND.

henfan
August 29th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Very cool. Congrats. Good to see UND take this step.

dmksioux
August 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM

I can't find the exact price tag anywhere right now, but the total cost is closer to $20 million. UND had already raised about half through private donations. I believe the donation from Altru, covers the rest which means UND can now go forward with the project. They were waiting until 100% of the costs were covered. Great day for UND football!

dmksioux
August 29th, 2012, 10:32 AM
A little more information on the total cost. Looks to be $19.5 million.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=86452&SPID=6409&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670682

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I can't find the exact price tag anywhere right now, but the total cost is closer to $20 million. UND had already raised about half through private donations. I believe the donation from Altru, covers the rest which means UND can now go forward with the project. They were waiting until 100% of the costs were covered. Great day for UND football!

http://spirit.und.edu/priorities.php#5

Athletic Training Complex Phase I: Phase I: $11.7 million | Phase II: $8.3 million

http://spirit.und.edu/Units/Athletics.php
Extraordinary Places
Indoor Practice & Competition Arena: $20 million
Part of the 20 million is to renavate the Hyslop Sports Center. So I am not sure the exact amount of the 20 mil is the IPF.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Take that, Sanford.

I guess they don't completely own the Dakotas.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM
UND will now have the nicest non-gameday football facility of the Dakota 4, until SDSU builds their equivalent (and Sanford funded) IPF.

NDSU and USD have most of the non-gameday facilities located within the gameday facility, but otherwise vastly lag behind.

In my opinion, having separate IPF's and gameday facilities is the "nicer" way to do it. Looks nicer to recruits.

BluBengal07
August 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM
They paid 1 million to the new turf just put in at the Alerus Center. As the only hospital in Grand Forks its a great gift and partnership they have with UND.

yea, that's a great partnership.

the biggest hospital near JSU (in Jackson) is own by Ole Miss'. so uh, yea. lol. but there is collaborations within academics in our Sciences. not sure on the other two smaller ones in the area.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 10:39 AM
UND will now have the nicest non-gameday football facility of the Dakota 4, until SDSU builds their equivalent (and Sanford funded) IPF.

NDSU lags vastly behind in non-gameday facilities.

Facilities are nice but NDSU has 1 thing the other Dakota 3 want....A National Championship.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM

NDSU lags vastly behind in non-gameday facilities.

Yet somehow, you are the only one who cares. Get that checkbook out, they'll name it after you.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670444

Here is a video of the future IPF.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Yet somehow, you are the only one who cares. Get that checkbook out, they'll name it after you.

Not my fault that every other NDSU fan can only (or only cares to) see what's right in front of their faces: the national championship trophy from last season.

Consistent success requires not a good class every 4 or 5 years, but every year. Recruiting like that requires carrots to lure those recruits, especially to the dead, cold world of Fargo winters. Facilities are the best way to do that. Gleaming, new facilities.

I can see it. I'm proud that I have the ability to look ahead and not bask in the sunlight of last season.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Not my fault that every other NDSU fan can only (or only cares to) see what's right in front of their faces: the national championship trophy from last season.

Consistent success requires not a good class every 4 or 5 years, but every year. Recruiting like that requires carrots to lure those recruits, especially to the dead, cold world of Fargo winters. Facilities are the best way to do that. Gleaming, new facilities.

I can see it. I'm proud that I have the ability to look ahead and not bask in the sunlight of last season.

In the immortal words of the Gary Coleman meme....

Who ****in Cares?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3sMh31VZHMc/TAAavzXnAiI/AAAAAAAACog/001LF010m2E/s1600/Gary_Coleman_Different_Strokes_Before_He_Got_Ugly. jpg

AppAlum2003
August 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Gosh, we've gotten cavalier with our acronyms. IPF? I had to think about that one when reading the thread title for a second.

Twentysix
August 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Gosh, we've gotten cavalier with our acronyms. IPF? I had to think about that one when reading the thread title for a second.

Its an Indian Pale Fail.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 01:22 PM
In the immortal words of the Gary Coleman meme....

Who ****in Cares?

Even more important question (for your sanity), why do you care so deeply about making sure I know no one else cares?

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Mods, this is a serious request so please take it under consideration. Can we please have MplsBison change his name, it is quite clear he is not a fan of NDSU? He has masqueraded long enough and is really giving our fanbase a bad name(well some others have helped with that, but he is certainly the worst).

Again, this is not a shot at MplsBison, I believe everyone on these boards should accurately represent themselves, but his lack of authenticity has been clearly documented.

NDSUstudent
August 29th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Mods, this is a serious request so please take it under consideration. Can we please have MplsBison change his name, it is quite clear he is not a fan of NDSU? He has masqueraded long enough and is really giving our fanbase a bad name(well some others have helped with that, but he is certainly the worst).

Again, this is not a shot at MplsBison, I believe everyone on these boards should accurately represent themselves, but his lack of authenticity has been clearly documented.

I only have 5 posts and I know that.

Professor Chaos
August 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM

You're going to get nowhere quick hoping that will happen.

I honestly stopped caring a while ago about the type of persona that Mpls, Lakes, and JBB exude on message boards. If a fan of another school wants to paint an entire group of fans based on how a few of the more outspoken members act than that fan isn't capable of having a legitimate discussion anyway.

Give more credit to the others on this board and their ability to differentiate posters from the same school for themselves.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Actually, I also care that NDSU does not have an IPF. NDSU is THEE football school in the Dakotas and the fact that UND got one before we did does not sit well with me. I believe an IPF at NDSU would help us take recruiting to that crucial next level, something that is now a possibility in El Forko Grande. I hope this will sound the horn for NDSU and its supporters to get this done.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Actually, I also care that NDSU does not have an IPF. NDSU is THEE football school in the Dakotas and the fact that UND got one before we did does not sit well with me. I believe an IPF at NDSU would help us take recruiting to that crucial next level, something that is now a possibility in El Forko Grande. I hope this will sound the horn for NDSU and its supporters to get this done.

There is a laundry list of capital investments that need to happen before a dedicated indoor practice facility. The only reason UND needs one is because the We-Got-One-Too-Dome is miles away from campus. NDSU has a $50 million dollar indoor practice facility on campus already, called the Fargodome.

There is no way UND is getting ANY recruitment advantage over NDSU for a very long time if ever.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2012, 05:48 PM
There is a laundry list of capital investments that need to happen before a dedicated indoor practice facility. The only reason UND needs one is because the We-Got-One-Too-Dome is miles away from campus. NDSU has a $50 million dollar indoor practice facility on campus already, called the Fargodome.

There is no way UND is getting ANY recruitment advantage over NDSU for a very long time if ever.

Miles away? The Alerus Center is like a 5 minute drive from campus, literally.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM

That must explain the abnormally high student attendance at all the games. LMAO.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM

and the Fargodome is on campus. There is a difference.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM

I didn't realize NDSU utilized the Dome for indoor practices on a regular basis. That leads me to assume the UND also uses the Alerus in a similar fashion(?). With potential scheduling conflicts and availability at both venues, can either the FFD or the Alerus truly be considered an IPF? Or does it matter? My point is that I have been hoping for some time that NDSU would address the idea of having a dedicated facility. If both the FFD and the Alerus are already being currently used as IPF's, and UND will be breaking ground for a DEDICATED IPF, that puts NDSU behind the curve on this one, IMO. And that, simply, is intolerable to me.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 06:02 PM
I didn't realize NDSU utilized the Dome for indoor practices on a regular basis. Thanks for the clarification.

It's actually my understanding that they don't practice indoors often but if they do, the Fargodome is usually available.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
It's actually my understanding that they don't practice indoors often but if they do, the Fargodome is usually available.

Precisely my point: "ussuuaallllllly". Please refer to my amended thread (#27). I believe it's an issue worth exploring.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Precisely my point: "ussuuaallllllly". Please refer to my amended thread (#27). I believe it's an issue worth exploring.

As it stands, spending millions of dollars to complete a facility that is only unusually necessary before you have laid one brick on upgrading the BSA is not worth exploring quite yet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM
As it stands, spending millions of dollars to complete a facility that is only unusually necessary before you have laid one brick on upgrading the BSA is not worth exploring quite yet.

YEP!!!

The BSA is #1 priority now. It would be nice if the state leg would send some funds to NDSU for the BSA upgrade. But that will never happen coming from Bismarck.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 29th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Agreed.

NDSU's tradition in FB runs very deep and is established.

UND is probably the next school closest to NSDU.....when comparing football. SDSU has had a total of 2 playoff games in their history and USD has had 8, with their highlight being in '86 when they made the D2 championship and lost to.......NDSU.

None of those other 3 will win a NC in the near future. NDSU will win another or multiple NCs before any of the other 3 will.

ndsubison
August 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Yes I know that the BSA is (and SHOULD BE) the #1 priority right now. That's an easy one. While I'm dreaming, I would also like to see a brand new 35k (with room for expansion) seat OUTDOOR stadium on campus with all the fixins before I'd like to see a dedicated IPF. I'd like to see another half-dozen FCS NC's in my lifetime. I'd like to see a hand-delivered invitation to join the Big10 in all sports. I'd also like to win the lottery. Hell, I'd like to see them all and right now. Shall I continue??? lmao

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Agreed.

NDSU's tradition in FB runs very deep and is established.

UND is probably the next school closest to NSDU.....when comparing football. SDSU has had a total of 2 playoff games in their history and USD has had 8, with their highlight being in '86 when they made the D2 championship and lost to.......NDSU.

None of those other 3 will win a NC in the near future. NDSU will win another or multiple NCs before any of the other 3 will.

Well... all 4 Dakota schools are now playoff eligible and in AQ conferences so we will see if your statement holds water.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM

They do not. And the fact that you old-timer rubes always crow this just shows how little you know.

NDSU can't practice any time they want in the Dome! And especially when they need it most (in the winter and spring football).

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM

If they're lucky, it's available and can be used (so long as they haven't exceeded the limited number of times that the facility can be used - per the agreement with the school).

Reminder: it's on NDSU's campus but it's not NDSU's facility. It's owned and run by the city as a city venue, whose first and foremost goal is to fill it with as many revenue generating events as possible. As hard as it is to believe, NDSU football practice is not a revenue generating event for the dome.

Believe it or not, the Dome would just as well prefer NDSU football plays it's games and gets out! They'd rather not have put all the permanent structure in place that has been done, but they were forced into it.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 07:01 PM
They do not. And the fact that you old-timer rubes always crow this just shows how little you know.

NDSU can't practice any time they want in the Dome! And especially when they need it most (in the winter and spring football).

From Kolpack's blog August 17th....

"NDSU has been inside the Fargodome more this fall camp because of the new turf, which is easier on the players’ legs"

From the 15th....

"The Bison went indoors today in the Fargodome for a practice on the new turf and maybe the different environment helped the offense. Whatever the case, they looked much sharper than the previous two days on the natural grass practice fields."

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
From Kolpack's blog August 17th....

"NDSU has been inside the Fargodome more this fall camp because of the new turf, which is easier on the players’ legs"

Indeed, two is more than one.

Your point?

frozennorth
August 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM
i think the IPF is overrated, but probably a useful and necessary facility to be competitive against ndsu and sdsu.

if NDSU was able to and did practice indoors in 2010, I bet they have much less success.

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Realistically how often does in Indoor Practice Facility get used? Even in the upper midwest there are only about 3 weeks in the fall that it isn't ideal to practice outside.

I think those who are pushing for an IPF are VASTLY underestimating how often NDSU already practices in the FD. We used to practice in the FD every Monday night and later in the year, especially if it was a home game, we would practice inside 1 or 2 times per week. I agree with those who have said UND needs an IPF much more than NDSU because the FD is where our lockerrooms and coaches meeting our. It is so convenient compared to UND's situation.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Realistically how often does in Indoor Practice Facility get used? Even in the upper midwest there are only about 3 weeks in the fall that it isn't ideal to practice outside.

I think those who are pushing for an IPF are VASTLY underestimating how often NDSU already practices in the FD. We used to practice in the FD every Monday night and later in the year, especially if it was a home game, we would practice inside 1 or 2 times per week. I agree with those who have said UND needs an IPF much more than NDSU because the FD is where our lockerrooms and coaches meeting our. It is so convenient compared to UND's situation.

The football team is not the only team using this building.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670698

ABOUT THE FACILITY
The UND Athletics Complex will provide a state-of-the-art strength and conditioning area, a student-athlete academic center and sports medicine space for all UND Athletics teams. Additionally, it will provide a practice and training facility for the football, track and field and soccer teams. The facility will serve the community by offering a host site for youth athletics camps and college and youth track and field meets.

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
The football team is not the only team using this building.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670698

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great thing to have, but when talking about football I don't see it as a necessity at NDSU because of our access to the FD. Plus from my understanding aren't other sports at NDSU going to utilize the new indoor facility being built to the southwest of Dacotah Field? Can't remember what we are calling it.

darell1976
August 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great thing to have, but when talking about football I don't see it as a necessity at NDSU because of our access to the FD. Plus from my understanding aren't other sports at NDSU going to utilize the new indoor facility being built to the southwest of Dacotah Field? Can't remember what we are calling it.

I just wanted people to know this IPF is not just for UND football only. Its for all sports and non-UND sports like camps and meets.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 07:56 PM

And those of you trying to undermine an IPF on the basis of practicality simply don't get it.

Look, does Texas A&M really need an IPF? No..not really. But they have one of the nicest ones in the country.

Why? Because it's a feather in the cap. It's something to show off. It shows recruits the commitment to excellence and the support.

It's something that UND (and SDSU) are going to be able to show off to recruits that NDSU and USD won't be able to match.

MplsBison
August 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM

Not really. It's literally a building that houses an indoor track. It was the cheapest thing they could do to get the indoor track out of the BSA, so that permanent structure could be built in the arena for bball seating.

UNDColorado
August 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
That must explain the abnormally high student attendance at all the games. LMAO.

RT @davidprimus: Things I like to hear: where do we put students when their tickets run out? #thinkbig

Enjoy that while it lasts because I feel like things are changing around UND.

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
And those of you trying to undermine an IPF on the basis of practicality simply don't get it.

Look, does Texas A&M really need an IPF? No..not really. But they have one of the nicest ones in the country.

Why? Because it's a feather in the cap. It's something to show off. It shows recruits the commitment to excellence and the support.

It's something that UND (and SDSU) are going to be able to show off to recruits that NDSU and USD won't be able to match.

Your ignorance is just beyond laughable at this point. Facilities play a role in recruiting, but coaching, gameday atmosphere, campus life and tradition play a much, much, much larger role than facilities.

Tell me this if you have all the answers. It is pretty widely agreed upon that at this point Oklahoma State has the nicest athletic facilities in the country. When was the last time they won a national championship or were even relevant nationally?

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Your ignorance is just beyond laughable at this point. Facilities play a role in recruiting, but coaching, gameday atmosphere, campus life and tradition play a much, much, much larger role than facilities.

Tell me this if you have all the answers. It is pretty widely agreed upon that at this point Oklahoma State has the nicest athletic facilities in the country. When was the last time they won a national championship or were even relevant nationally?

Are you serious? last year

2011 12-1 Finished 3rd in both the major polls.

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Are you serious? last year

2011 12-1 Finished 3rd in both the major polls.

So once then? Fine I should have left it at the last time they won a national championship, but the point is still valid. If facilities played such a large role in recruiting, the best facilities would lead to the best players, clearly this isn't the case.

Last year was their first Big 12 championship in school history.

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 08:54 PM
So once then? Fine I should have left it at the last time they won a national championship, but the point is still valid. If facilities played such a large role in recruiting, the best facilities would lead to the best players, clearly this isn't the case.

Stadium Finished in 2009 - since then:

2009– 9–4 (6–2) — Cotton Bowl Classic vs. Ole Miss 21–7 (L)
2010– 11–2 (6–2) — Alamo Bowl vs. Arizona 36–10 (W)
2011– 12–1 (8–1)- Fiesta Bowl vs. Stanford 41-38 (W)

Looks like a program that is slowly building.. historically prior to 2009:499–516–47 since 2009: 32-7. I think the facilities are making a difference. Not sure what they are looking like in 2012 not much of a Cowboy fan myself..

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Stadium Finished in 2009 - since then:

2009– 9–4 (6–2) — Cotton Bowl Classic vs. Ole Miss 21–7 (L)
2010– 11–2 (6–2) — Alamo Bowl vs. Arizona 36–10 (W)
2011– 12–1 (8–1)- Fiesta Bowl vs. Stanford 41-38 (W)

Looks like a program that is slowly building.. historically prior to 2009:499–516–47 since 2009: 32-7. I think the facilities are making a difference. Not sure what they are looking like in 2012 not much of a Cowboy fan myself..

They were on the rise long before the facilities were finished.

2006-7-6 Bowl game win over Alabama
2007-6-6 Bowl win over Indiana, not as impressive, but earned Gundy a 5 year extension.
2008-9-3 Gundy gets extended again.

Also, if they started winning in 2008 and 2009 they were winning with players that were recruited in 2005-2007. Doubt the facilities played much of a role in them choosing to attend Oklahoma State.

Since Gundy has had his recruits it looks like they have started winning. Coaching and his ability to recruit is a much more logical conclusion than a player decided to attend OKSt than the practice facilities and the weightroom.

The point that I want to come back to is MplsBison stated that somehow UND has a recruiting advantage over NDSU because of an indoor practice facility when we have the FD likely as much as they would have access to the IPF due to having to share it with other teams per Darell's comment. This is the statement that I find laughable. It isn't laughable to think UND could get a recruit over NDSU, just laughable that it would be because they have a dedicated indoor facility in comparison to the FD.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM

2007-6-6 Bowl win over Indiana, not as impressive, but earned Gundy a 5 year extension.

Also, if they started winning in 2008 and 2009 they were winning with players that were recruited in 2005-2007. Doubt the facilities played much of a role in them choosing to attend Oklahoma State.

Since Gundy has had his recruits it looks like they have started winning. Coaching and his ability to recruit is a much more logical conclusion than a player decided to attend OKSt than the practice facilities and the weightroom.

The point that I want to come back to is MplsBison stated that somehow UND has a recruiting advantage over NDSU because of an indoor practice facility when we have the FD likely as much as they would have access to the IPF due to having to share it with other teams per Darell's comment. This is the statement that I find laughable. It isn't laughable to think UND could get a recruit over NDSU, just laughable that it would be because they have a dedicated indoor facility in comparison to the FD.

This.

Oh, you mean I can play in front of a sold out 20k stadium for a National Championship team? No thanks, you don't have an indoor practice facility like UND.

dumbass.

dmksioux
August 29th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Great day for UND football. Hopefully they are able to get the final couple millon $$ soon and get shovels in the ground.

On a side note, It's amazing that every single UND thread gets inundated by bison fans. I don't get it. Can any of the bison fans answer why they feel the need to consistently post in UND threads and turn them into d!*k measuring contests all the time?

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM

No sure I agree with you on your general facilities comments (don't really care to get into the UND/NDSU thing - you can battle it out with MSP) because they finished the updates in 2009 but the upgrades are used as a recruiting tool prior to 2009. Again, I was kind of shocked by your orginal comment about OSU not contending for National Titles when they were on the brink of the national champsionship game last year.

Years OSU has finished ranked:

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM
No sure I agree with you on your general facilities comments (don't really care to get into the UND/NDSU thing - you can battle it out with MSP) because they finished the updates in 2009 but the upgrades are used as a recruiting tool prior to 2009. Again, I was kind of shocked by your orginal comment about OSU not contending for National Titles when they were on the brink of the national champsionship game last year.

Years OSU has finished ranked:

Again, the rise started with Gundy not the facilities. They are not traditionally known as a national power, in the mold of say USC or Alabama or Ohio St or Michigan. These programs can be down, but they always have the ability to get back to the top relatively quickly due to tradition and alumni support.

Take Oklahoma State out of the conversation if you like and answer this. Do you think that a player would choose a school because they have an indoor practice facility?

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Great day for UND football. Hopefully they are able to get the final couple millon $$ soon and get shovels in the ground.

On a side note, It's amazing that every single UND thread gets inundated by bison fans. I don't get it. Can any of the bison fans answer why they feel the need to consistently post in UND threads and turn them into d!*k measuring contests all the time?

Not sure this thread is a great example of what you are talking about. I have no problem or even an opinion on UND having an IPF, I was simply responding to MplsBison's post that NDSU needs one now to "keep up" with UND. Hilarious.

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Take Oklahoma State out of the conversation if you like and answer this. Do you think that a player would choose a school because they have an indoor practice facility?

It really depends on the person you are recruiting - some people are looking for great class room programs. Others are looking for the all amenities that are associated with sports programs in college sports today. Look at NDSU - they already had the Fargo Dome prior to moving up to D-1. This is generally thought of as one of the top facilities in FCS. But what was one the first upgrades that NDSU made as part of the transition to D-1. They spent millions on meeting rooms and offices for the football program. They wanted to show a commitment to the program which in effect says this is my commitment to you - if you come to this school. It isn't necessarily the specific upgrade itself, but a sign of the commitment the school has toward the program. SDSU did the same thing with the new field house.

Bison06
August 29th, 2012, 10:06 PM
It really depends on the person you are recruiting - some people are looking for great class room programs. Others are looking for the all amenities that are associated with sports programs in college sports today. Look at NDSU - they already had the Fargo Dome prior to moving up to D-1. This is generally thought of as one of the top facilities in FCS. But what was one the first upgrades that NDSU made as part of the transition to D-1. They spent millions on meeting rooms and offices for the football program. They wanted to show a commitment to the program which in effect says this is my commitment to you - if you come to this school. It isn't necessarily the specific upgrade itself, but a sign of the commitment the school has toward the program. SDSU did the same thing with the new field house.

All fair points I suppose. But, the main reason NDSU upgraded the facilities at the FargoDome was to consolidate the football program in the FD. I remember Coach Bohl saying if he had it his way the football team would have it's own weightroom at the FD. I am not saying things can't be nice, of course you want facilities to be nice. But a practice facility? C'mon, that gives UND an advantage over NDSU? Really? I don't buy it. Even stadiums don't sell recruits, it's the gameday atmostphere that sells the recruits. To stay with the UND theme, they have what is considered by many to be the nicest facility in the world. I doubt very much they would get recruits to play for them if they played in front of a quiet crowd of 5 or 6 thousand.

SDFS
August 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
All fair points I suppose. But, the main reason NDSU upgraded the facilities at the FargoDome was to consolidate the football program in the FD. I remember Coach Bohl saying if he had it his way the football team would have it's own weightroom at the FD. I am not saying things can't be nice, of course you want facilities to be nice. But a practice facility? C'mon, that gives UND an advantage over NDSU? Really? I don't buy it. Even stadiums don't sell recruits, it's the gameday atmostphere that sells the recruits. To stay with the UND theme, they have what is considered by many to be the nicest facility in the world. I doubt very much they would get recruits to play for them if they played in front of a quiet crowd of 5 or 6 thousand.

Oh, I think that gameday is a big part of it and UND is putting a lot of focus into gameday this year because the transition slowly wore down the UND gameday experience. I believe being in the Big Sky will really help things this year and I am looking forward to the season (plus hopefully we have QB this year). The UND vs NDSU thing not my cup of tea so not going into that...

Vitojr130
August 29th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I didn't realize NDSU utilized the Dome for indoor practices on a regular basis. That leads me to assume the UND also uses the Alerus in a similar fashion(?). With potential scheduling conflicts and availability at both venues, can either the FFD or the Alerus truly be considered an IPF? Or does it matter? My point is that I have been hoping for some time that NDSU would address the idea of having a dedicated facility. If both the FFD and the Alerus are already being currently used as IPF's, and UND will be breaking ground for a DEDICATED IPF, that puts NDSU behind the curve on this one, IMO. And that, simply, is intolerable to me.

The Fargodome is used quite often for practice. If I remember right, they even have a very nice facility in there for their workouts and the football offices/meeting rooms are in the basement... If the team wants to practice in there, people make it happen. It basically is a dedicated IPF, but is not labeled as such.

moose
August 29th, 2012, 11:28 PM
RT @davidprimus: Things I like to hear: where do we put students when their tickets run out? #thinkbig

I really needed a good laugh!

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM

IPF means nothing if the product on the field is horrible. The IPF is just a recruiting tool, just like academics, direction team is going, and a lot of other factors. Right now NDSU has a huge advantage over UND...they are National Champs. Recruits love to hear that. UND needs to step up to the plate and produce a product like NDSU did or else we won't be any better than SDSU. Let's get the BSC rookie status out of the way and show teams, fans, and especially recruits what UND can do in a real conference.

TheRevSFA
August 30th, 2012, 07:10 AM

You obviously haven't been in Texas in August. Yes they need a IPF.

NDSUstudent
August 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Could anyone tell me why NDSU's new Indoor Track & Field Facility couldn't of had a football practice field in the middle when not in use by Track & Field? Or why they didn't build it as such?

UNDColorado
August 30th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I really needed a good laugh!

Good laugh? David Primus is the Sports Marketing Director at UND so he would know. Student tickets are sold out for the game tonight; this has not happened since before the transition or at least 5 years. So have a laugh but I was responding to someone who was knocking our student attendance; which has been BAD during the transition, but the tansition (and the nickname BS) is over and good things are happening at UND whether you like it or not.

gotts
August 30th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Good laugh? David Primus is the Sports Marketing Director at UND so he would know. Student tickets are sold out for the game tonight; this has not happened since before the transition or at least 5 years. So have a laugh but I was responding to someone who was knocking our student attendance; which has been BAD during the transition, but the tansition (and the nickname BS) is over and good things are happening at UND whether you like it or not.

Have all your home games on Thursdays and student attendance will rise, guaranteed. It's just another event prior to drinking in North Dakota.

UNDColorado
August 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Have all your home games on Thursdays and student attendance will rise, guaranteed. It's just another event prior to drinking in North Dakota.

Right on, when I was a student there were no Thursday night games. As we all know Thursday is a big party night in college and starting the evening with tailgating and football is a great "pre-game" for the bars / parties.

BluBengal07
August 30th, 2012, 08:41 AM
this thread grew QUICK

darell1976
August 30th, 2012, 08:45 AM

For a Thursday game against a DII opponent thats a good sign to the season. Just wait til next weekend....Potato Bowl week (french fry feed, parade, pep rally), and of course the game vs Portland State. I would predict 11-12k+.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM

I never said facilities were the only thing. As you correctly point out, it's one part of many elements.

What I said was that it's something that UND will be able to show off to recruits that NDSU won't be able to. That's a fact. Interpret (twist) that any way you please.

No one considers OK St to have the best facilities in the country. They do have pretty nice facilities, perhaps among a top tier of schools that all have equivalently elite facilities. But no one would say they have the best. And last year they should've been in the national title game (got screwed by the BCS formula -- a selection committee would've picked them over an SEC rematch). So you really don't have any kind of point.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:20 PM

Putting words in my mouth, I guess.

I did not say UND has an overall recruiting advantage over NDSU. They do have something that they can show off to recruits that NDSU can't match. That's a fact and I don't care how you twist it.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:21 PM
This.

Oh, you mean I can play in front of a sold out 20k stadium for a National Championship team? No thanks, you don't have an indoor practice facility like UND.

dumbass.

Did your dog die or something? What are you so bitter about? Bog off.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:23 PM

As you said, there are many aspects to recruiting.

Facilities are one of them. Like it or not - you're wrong to claim otherwise.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
The Fargodome is used quite often for practice. If I remember right, they even have a very nice facility in there for their workouts and the football offices/meeting rooms are in the basement... If the team wants to practice in there, people make it happen. It basically is a dedicated IPF, but is not labeled as such.

Completely false.

First of all, there are only two areas of the Fargodome that can even be considered as dedicated facilities for the football team: 1) the locker room/equipment room/training room area and 2) the coaches' offices. Beyond that, there is a large conference room which acts as the team's main meeting room and does have custom carpet, leather chairs and finishing so it looks like a team facility. But it's used for every kind of meeting and conference that's hosted at the Dome, like the other conference rooms in the basement.

Lastly, the school and the Fargodome negotiate a rent contract that includes a set number of days per year that NDSU is allowed to use the Fargodome main space for practices. I don't know what the penalty is for exceeding that number but I imagine it's steep. And what happens if it's crappy weather but an event is taking place in the Dome that day? SOL

The turf and lights at Dacotah do help quite a bit in this aspect. But it's still not the luxury of having an indoor space to practice in.

No weight room, no academic center, no nutrition area (any food must be catered in), and the training room is halfway decent, but no major permanent structure (like hydro) and it's fairly small.

Does that sound even remotely like what UND and SDSU are going to have at their disposal? Sorry - but you just don't know what you're talking about.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM
You obviously haven't been in Texas in August. Yes they need a IPF.

Ok in the late summer sure. But certainly not in Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan and Mar/Apr - where Dakota schools desperately need one.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Could anyone tell me why NDSU's new Indoor Track & Field Facility couldn't of had a football practice field in the middle when not in use by Track & Field? Or why they didn't build it as such?

The indoor facility that NDSU is building is literally the cheapest way that they could get the indoor track out of the BSA. Nothing more.

There's no room to do anything except host indoor track events.

LetsGoSioux!
August 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Take that, Sanford.

I guess they don't completely own the Dakotas.

That is true and I agree, but to anyone in Grand Forks, it is an ironic statement. Altru is often accused of being a monopoly in our city. They recently bought out a new startup "for profit" hospital in town and will convert it to Altru space.

Regardless, thank you Altru Health for 10 mil!

Bison06
August 30th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Completely false.

First of all, there are only two areas of the Fargodome that can even be considered as dedicated facilities for the football team: 1) the locker room/equipment room/training room area and 2) the coaches' offices. Beyond that, there is a large conference room which acts as the team's main meeting room and does have custom carpet, leather chairs and finishing so it looks like a team facility. But it's used for every kind of meeting and conference that's hosted at the Dome, like the other conference rooms in the basement.

Lastly, the school and the Fargodome negotiate a rent contract that includes a set number of days per year that NDSU is allowed to use the Fargodome main space for practices. I don't know what the penalty is for exceeding that number but I imagine it's steep. And what happens if it's crappy weather but an event is taking place in the Dome that day? SOL

The turf and lights at Dacotah do help quite a bit in this aspect. But it's still not the luxury of having an indoor space to practice in.

No weight room, no academic center, no nutrition area (any food must be catered in), and the training room is halfway decent, but no major permanent structure (like hydro) and it's fairly small.

Does that sound even remotely like what UND and SDSU are going to have at their disposal? Sorry - but you just don't know what you're talking about.

If we had an IPF we would essentially be duplicating many things that are already in place or will be in place with the expansion and renovation of the BSA.

UND and SDSU will also be sharing their facility with other sports, so to call it a dedicated facility is also false. Do not imply, implicitly or explicitly, that having this facility will give either SDSU or UND an advantage over NDSU in recruiting. You keep saying you have a higher level of understanding about NDSU's contract with the FD, but I have yet to see you post one fact about this point.

Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome every Monday night from 2002-2005 with very few exceptions.
Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome 1-2 days/week in the spring.
Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome 1-2 days/week any week that their was snow on the ground. I actually remember a few home games late in the year where we practiced in the dome every day.

An IPF is obviously more valuable for SDSU because they do not have an indoor facility at all.
An IPF is also much more valuable for UND because I don't believe UND has as close of a relationship with the Alerus as NDSU has with the FD.

An IPF simply is not needed at NDSU with our current setup. It would be a waste of money and our leadership knows it.

Also, I find it pretty funny that you say only two areas can be considered dedicated areas, but then you go on to use slashes to consolidate three areas into one. And you completely left out the meeting rooms.

NDSU Football completely occupies the East side of the Fargodome on two of the three levels.

UNDColorado
August 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
The UND facility will be shared, but when practices are scheduled in there Football will have first choice of usage. To think otherwise is a bit shortsighted.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 02:05 PM
If we had an IPF we would essentially be duplicating many things that are already in place or will be in place with the expansion and renovation of the BSA.

UND and SDSU will also be sharing their facility with other sports, so to call it a dedicated facility is also false. Do not imply, implicitly or explicitly, that having this facility will give either SDSU or UND an advantage over NDSU in recruiting. You keep saying you have a higher level of understanding about NDSU's contract with the FD, but I have yet to see you post one fact about this point.

Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome every Monday night from 2002-2005 with very few exceptions.
Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome 1-2 days/week in the spring.
Fact: Our football team practiced in the Fargodome 1-2 days/week any week that their was snow on the ground. I actually remember a few home games late in the year where we practiced in the dome every day.

An IPF is obviously more valuable for SDSU because they do not have an indoor facility at all.
An IPF is also much more valuable for UND because I don't believe UND has as close of a relationship with the Alerus as NDSU has with the FD.

An IPF simply is not needed at NDSU with our current setup. It would be a waste of money and our leadership knows it.

Also, I find it pretty funny that you say only two areas can be considered dedicated areas, but then you go on to use slashes to consolidate three areas into one. And you completely left out the meeting rooms.

NDSU Football completely occupies the East side of the Fargodome on two of the three levels.

Between the Fargodome, the indoor track building and the (eventually) updated BSA, yes NDSU will have somewhat comparable practice facilities to what UND and SDSU are building under one roof.

Similar facilities:

Locker room (practice and gameday) - already have a good one in the Fargodome
Player's lounge - not sure if UND and SDSU facilities include one of these or not, the locker room in the Dome as a sort've one of these in a back room and then the championship room (those who know about this, know what that means)
Equipment room - already have a good one in the Fargodome
Training room - already have an auxiliary training room area in the Fargodome, with limited space and permanent construction for hydro or other major equipment - there's also supposed to be an updated main training room in the BSA for all teams (not sure how much football will utilize this)
Meeting rooms - one of the basement conference rooms in the Fargodome is nicely finished with custom logos, etc. and used a team meeting room, but it's also used for many other Fargodome events so I doubt it could be used on a whim without first clearing it with Fargodome staff. The rest of the conference rooms in the basement are just that. Certainly no dedicated meeting rooms for each position group like is the standard at many IPFs.
Weight room - supposed to be an updated area in the BSA, already have good equipment upstairs in BSA
Coaches' offices - upstairs in Fargodome, as nice of a facility as any in the country IMO (maybe with the exception that it has no view into the stadium like many other programs)
Indoor track - the new building will have a banked 200m oval while UND and SDSU will have flat 300m ovals - IMO the larger ovals are nicer and will eventually become the standard for indoor track at the NCAA level
Academic center - supposed to be included in BSA update (I believe), once again not sure if UND & SDSU will have this - in this day and age I would say this is pretty much a de facto requirement*

Missing facilities (not sure if UND and SDSU new IPFs will have all of these)

Indoor practice area - obviously this is the main thing actually missing - many will falsely claim that NDSU can use the Fargodome main area itself any time it wants, untrue of course
HOF - I'm unaware of any HOF for NDSU football, not sure if UND & SDSU IPFs will include this, it's a "nice to have"
Recruiting lounge/areas - again not sure if UND & SDSU IPFs will have these and I don't think there are any dedicated areas at NDSU for this, again "nice to have"
Nutrition - definitely not at the Fargodome and I doubt the BSA update is going to include a kitchen and training table - once again not sure if UND & SDSU will have this, I would say it's more than a nice to have but probably few I-AA schools can afford it
"Under one roof" factor - NDSU's facilities are piecemeal. Player's can't walk into one building and get everything they need. Fargodome to BSA is not an insurmountable walk, but definitely a pain in the butt in winter.

If you actually thing NDSU football occupies any kind of a majority of anything in the Fargodome, then I think the Fargodome management staff will be very interested to know that! Rent is most likely based on sq. ft. and occupancy rates.

Fact is, I bet dedicated NDSU facilities make up less than 50% of the Fargodome entrance building footprint and that's just the basement and upper level - obviously not the main level.

I never claimed that NDSU doesn't use the Fargodome for practices some of the time. I laid out my case for why it's not an ideal usage.

But at the end of the day, the reason I win the argument and you lose the argument ultimately has nothing to do with functionality!! You know this.

I do not believe NDSU will lose a kid to UND or SDSU because of this....but both are already making good inroads into NDSU's main two recruiting areas: MN and WI. This won't help.

Bison06
August 30th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Between the Fargodome, the indoor track building and the (eventually) updated BSA, yes NDSU will have somewhat comparable practice facilities to what UND and SDSU are building under one roof.

Similar facilities:

Locker room (practice and gameday) - already have a good one in the Fargodome
Player's lounge - not sure if UND and SDSU facilities include one of these or not, the locker room in the Dome as a sort've one of these in a back room and then the championship room (those who know about this, know what that means)
Equipment room - already have a good one in the Fargodome
Training room - already have an auxiliary training room area in the Fargodome, with limited space and permanent construction for hydro or other major equipment - there's also supposed to be an updated main training room in the BSA for all teams (not sure how much football will utilize this)
Meeting rooms - one of the basement conference rooms in the Fargodome is nicely finished with custom logos, etc. and used a team meeting room, but it's also used for many other Fargodome events so I doubt it could be used on a whim without first clearing it with Fargodome staff. The rest of the conference rooms in the basement are just that. Certainly no dedicated meeting rooms for each position group like is the standard at many IPFs.
Weight room - supposed to be an updated area in the BSA, already have good equipment upstairs in BSA
Coaches' offices - upstairs in Fargodome, as nice of a facility as any in the country IMO (maybe with the exception that it has no view into the stadium like many other programs)
Indoor track - the new building will have a banked 200m oval while UND and SDSU will have flat 300m ovals - IMO the larger ovals are nicer and will eventually become the standard for indoor track at the NCAA level
Academic center - supposed to be included in BSA update (I believe), once again not sure if UND & SDSU will have this - in this day and age I would say this is pretty much a de facto requirement*

Missing facilities (not sure if UND and SDSU new IPFs will have all of these)

Indoor practice area - obviously this is the main thing actually missing - many will falsely claim that NDSU can use the Fargodome main area itself any time it wants, untrue of course
HOF - I'm unaware of any HOF for NDSU football, not sure if UND & SDSU IPFs will include this, it's a "nice to have"
Recruiting lounge/areas - again not sure if UND & SDSU IPFs will have these and I don't think there are any dedicated areas at NDSU for this, again "nice to have"
Nutrition - definitely not at the Fargodome and I doubt the BSA update is going to include a kitchen and training table - once again not sure if UND & SDSU will have this, I would say it's more than a nice to have but probably few I-AA schools can afford it
"Under one roof" factor - NDSU's facilities are piecemeal. Player's can't walk into one building and get everything they need. Fargodome to BSA is not an insurmountable walk, but definitely a pain in the butt in winter.

If you actually thing NDSU football occupies any kind of a majority of anything in the Fargodome, then I think the Fargodome management staff will be very interested to know that! Rent is most likely based on sq. ft. and occupancy rates.

Fact is, I bet dedicated NDSU facilities make up less than 50% of the Fargodome entrance building footprint and that's just the basement and upper level - obviously not the main level.

I never claimed that NDSU doesn't use the Fargodome for practices some of the time. I laid out my case for why it's not an ideal usage.

But at the end of the day, the reason I win the argument and you lose the argument ultimately has nothing to do with functionality!! You know this.

I do not believe NDSU will lose a kid to UND or SDSU because of this....but both are already making good inroads into NDSU's main two recruiting areas: MN and WI. This won't help.

That is a much more fair interpretation of the situation than to simply say now those two schools have something NDSU doesn't have and it gives them an advantage. Obviously NDSU can't occupy the majority of the entire building, because the main arena takes up what 75% of the entire space. But they take up the entire lower level on the east side and 80% of the upper level on the east side. Outside of the field and seating areas this is a large chunk of the FD. I only brought that up because to an outsider saying we rent the space over there may sound like we just rent the place when we want to practice or play there. It is a little more than that. The FD is the home of NDSU football, even if it isn't owned by NDSU.

Bison06
August 30th, 2012, 02:31 PM
That is a much more fair interpretation of the situation than to simply say now those two schools have something NDSU doesn't have and it gives them an advantage. Obviously NDSU can't occupy the majority of the entire building, because the main arena takes up what 75% of the entire space. But they take up the entire lower level on the east side and 80% of the upper level on the east side. Outside of the field and seating areas this is a large chunk of the FD. I only brought that up because to an outsider saying we rent the space over there may sound like we just rent the place when we want to practice or play there. It is a little more than that. The FD is the home of NDSU football, even if it isn't owned by NDSU.

I also find your comments very odd in that you seem to have a relatively decent understanding of NDSU's facilities, yet you think that NDSU doesn't occupy the space full time. NDSU uses those meeting rooms and locker rooms and anything else that they need at the FD all year round. There are position meeting rooms at the FD, not sure why you have seen everything else but haven't seen those.

F'N Hawks
August 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Are you having a conversation with yourself or did you forget to log out and log back in as your alter ego?

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Bison06, you're a knowledgeable guy and at this point we're mincing very fine details with a huge, sharp knife. Not looking for a fight over this...but you continue to proclaim a few things that are simply wrong and so they annoy me.

- Occupancy of the Fargodome: just consider the upper and basement levels of the footprint of the east side structure (I'm calling it the main entrance building). Let's say that NDSU football 100% occupies the locker room and the coach'es offices year round. I'm telling you right now...that's maybe...maybe a third of the total sq. ft. of those two levels! I don't know how else to explain it. You obviously have never wandered around those spaces to fully understand just what all is there. There are quite a lot of sq. ft. dedicated to conference and meeting space that can and is rented out year round to various conventions and things like that (including the main team meeting room for presentations).

- there are no dedicated meeting rooms for position meetings in the sense that the coaches officies have dedicated meeting rooms. There are conference rooms in the lower level are are used for position meetings. I don't deny that. But to say that they are dedicated position meeting rooms is false. For example, there is no room in the Fargodome that says "Offensive Line Meeting Room" and has chairs, tables, desks and projectors set up for that function. They make due with the space that's available.

Bison06
August 30th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Are you having a conversation with yourself or did you forget to log out and log back in as your alter ego?

Haha, I meant to quote one of MplsBison's posts and apparently didn't do it correctly. Wouldn't be the first time I have had a conversation with myself.

Bison06
August 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Bison06, you're a knowledgeable guy and at this point we're mincing very fine details with a huge, sharp knife. Not looking for a fight over this...but you continue to proclaim a few things that are simply wrong and so they annoy me.

- Occupancy of the Fargodome: just consider the upper and basement levels of the footprint of the east side structure (I'm calling it the main entrance building). Let's say that NDSU football 100% occupies the locker room and the coach'es offices year round. I'm telling you right now...that's maybe...maybe a third of the total sq. ft. of those two levels! I don't know how else to explain it. You obviously have never wandered around those spaces to fully understand just what all is there. There are quite a lot of sq. ft. dedicated to conference and meeting space that can and is rented out year round to various conventions and things like that (including the main team meeting room for presentations).

- there are no dedicated meeting rooms for position meetings in the sense that the coaches officies have dedicated meeting rooms. There are conference rooms in the lower level are are used for position meetings. I don't deny that. But to say that they are dedicated position meeting rooms is false. For example, there is no room in the Fargodome that says "Offensive Line Meeting Room" and has chairs, tables, desks and projectors set up for that function. They make due with the space that's available.

I can agree with your assessment of the occupancy of FD and I maybe exaggerated the usage to make my point, but my point was to say that NDSU has full time offices at the FD and take up a significant portion of the space. Fair enough?

I guess maybe our differing opinions can be found in our definitions of a dedicated meeting room. I say just because someone else uses it on occasion doesn't mean it isn't primarily used by the NDSU football team. Either way, you are correct, we are just splitting hairs.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I can agree with your assessment of the occupancy of FD and I maybe exaggerated the usage to make my point, but my point was to say that NDSU has full time offices at the FD and take up a significant portion of the space. Fair enough?

I guess maybe our differing opinions can be found in our definitions of a dedicated meeting room. I say just because someone else uses it on occasion doesn't mean it isn't primarily used by the NDSU football team. Either way, you are correct, we are just splitting hairs.

Quite right. Nonetheless, it is a difference between what NDSU has and what UND and SDSU will have in their new buildings - for better or for worse.

ndsubison
August 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Not really. It's literally a building that houses an indoor track. It was the cheapest thing they could do to get the indoor track out of the BSA, so that permanent structure could be built in the arena for bball seating.

Did the designers consider the possibility of making this large enough so that we could possibly install an IPF inside the track in the new building? Is that even a possibility? Looks like the new weight-training, locker rooms and everything else is going to be incorporated into the new BSA "SHAC" renovation so that's covered. What about baseball and soccer? Will they have access to the new Track & Field Center? They probably need it more than anybody.

ndsubison
August 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM

Nope. After a few nice crowds curious to see the new "Big Time" Sky competition wears off, UND will still have a 4-7 season. The fans, once again, will turn their attention to hockey and the Alerus will be a quiet tin shack. Repeat this for 2 or 3 seasons, and you will see what I mean. No longer can the crowds be heard from the annual 1st round playoff beatdowns of Winona State or watching the 5,000 plus crowds go nuts as the Fighting Sioux flex their muscle on UM Crookston. You can then continue the UND tradition of sending your washed-up players and those who run afoul of the law westward into the arms of RT to serve as assistant coaches for the UM Marauders in Bismarck. Keep pushing that "Tradition". Best of luck with your game with SD School of Mines. I will be disappointed with anything less than a BIG Time whooping of 45 pts for UND. I have faith that your athletic administration has learned the dangers of scheduling USF in the future.

MplsBison
August 30th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Did the designers consider the possibility of making this large enough so that we could possibly install an IPF inside the track in the new building? Is that even a possibility? Looks like the new weight-training, locker rooms and everything else is going to be incorporated into the new BSA "SHAC" renovation so that's covered. What about baseball and soccer? Will they have access to the new Track & Field Center? They probably need it more than anybody.

Of course it could've been considered. They could've made it house a 300m indoor oval with a (nearly) full sized football field in the middle. That would've served all sports much better.

It's simply a matter of money. The new indoor track cost I believe around $5million while a fully fledged IPF would've been around $20 million.

ndsubison
August 30th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Of course it could've been considered. They could've made it house a 300m indoor oval with a (nearly) full sized football field in the middle. That would've served all sports much better.

It's simply a matter of money. The new indoor track cost I believe around $5million while a fully fledged IPF would've been around $20 million.

OK well that helps me sleep better. One last thing: does this indoor track & field facility at least boast it's own designated javelin area??xsmiley_wix

Hammerhead
August 31st, 2012, 02:28 PM
Oregon (who also has a billionaire booster) might top Okla. State's facilities and they have been pretty good lately.

I'm not saying NDSU needs a practice facility -- not having one could be an advantage for playoff games in the cold. The 13° temperatures in Bozeman didn't hurt the Bison in 2010. ;)

MplsBison
August 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM
OK well that helps me sleep better. One last thing: does this indoor track & field facility at least boast it's own designated javelin area??xsmiley_wix

I believe only shot put and weight throw are the indoor throwing events. But I'm also sure that they've figured out a way to practice discus, hammer and javelin indoors. Perhaps throwing into a net like hitting a golfball into a net.

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 11:27 AM
Here's a look at what NDSU could've had with the new building. Instead it's going to be entirely dedicated to indoor track.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DF&Dato=20120920&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=209200802&Ref=PH

344Johnson
September 21st, 2012, 11:32 AM
Here's a look at what NDSU could've had with the new building. Instead it's going to be entirely dedicated to indoor track.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=DF&Dato=20120920&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=209200802&Ref=PH

cool story bro.

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
cool story bro.

Thank you, yes it is.

MTfan4life
September 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Thank you, yes it is.

Especially considering those who have been following this site the past 7 months have heard you b*tching about it hundreds of times. How long does it take for you to take the hint that no one cares you don't approve of this?

LakesBison
September 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
mpls i cant wait to see you saturday at the NDSU tailgate lot!

what kind of beer should I have for you to drink?

brats or burgers, let me know, in the meantime, keep bringing up these old topics.

awesome. this is my cordial invitation. if you cant make it this saturday Oct 6 is homecoming ILL see you there for sure, Right?

awesome, hit me back buddy.

LakesBison
September 21st, 2012, 03:50 PM
cricket noise..cricket noise ok. that was my attempt to become best friends have a good weekend everyone!!

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Especially considering those who have been following this site the past 7 months have heard you b*tching about it hundreds of times. How long does it take for you to take the hint that no one cares you don't approve of this?

People do care. Just because they don't feel the need to post does not mean no one cares.

It's too bad that a few d-bags do feel the need to post, even though they claim they don't care.

MplsBison
September 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
mpls i cant wait to see you saturday at the NDSU tailgate lot!

what kind of beer should I have for you to drink?

brats or burgers, let me know, in the meantime, keep bringing up these old topics.

awesome. this is my cordial invitation. if you cant make it this saturday Oct 6 is homecoming ILL see you there for sure, Right?

awesome, hit me back buddy.

You won't be there. You're banned from the NDSU tailgate lot and the games.

LakesBison
September 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM
Was there last year and opener. Frisco cruiser. See ya then. Ur a fake.

coldspot
September 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM
You won't be there. You're banned from the NDSU tailgate lot and the games.

pretty sure lakes was there for the opener. He even made it into some pictures on bisonville. he'll be there. you, on the other hand, will be sitting on your couch at home pretending to be a bison fan.

LakesBison
September 22nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
Cold urses et al. I screwed up , I was extending olive branch, to be friends with my fellow bison fans even from mpls cuzbim Minnesotan. I hope I can still be on ags to have a beer at tailgate with him and share with rest of you ! Take care, this was my last attempt to reconcile my good standing around here. I missed you guys when I was gone, your like family urses et al. Go bison. Cya Monday !

ursus arctos horribilis
September 22nd, 2012, 02:08 AM
Cold urses et al. I screwed up , I was extending olive branch, to be friends with my fellow bison fans even from mpls cuzbim Minnesotan. I hope I can still be on ags to have a beer at tailgate with him and share with rest of you ! Take care, this was my last attempt to reconcile my good standing around here. I missed you guys when I was gone, your like family urses et al. Go bison. Cya Monday !

Hope it works out. If it were me I wouldn't worry about paying any attention to MPLS at all. I gave that up a while back myself.

MplsBison
September 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
pretty sure lakes was there for the opener. He even made it into some pictures on bisonville. he'll be there. you, on the other hand, will be sitting on your couch at home pretending to be a bison fan.

Ah so he was. I just know he was banned from the tailgate lot and the games at some point in the recent past. A model NDSU fan by which all Bison fans should be measured.

MplsBison
September 22nd, 2012, 08:27 AM
Was there last year and opener. Frisco cruiser. See ya then. Ur a fake.

Indeed. Any NDSU fan who has never met you in person is not a real NDSU fan. That is a real shame for 99.99% of NDSU fans. But the even worse shame is for those poor b____tards, that 0.01%, who have met you. Something they deeply regret.

darell1976
September 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM
And back to the real thread......UND to build IPF!!!!

MplsBison
September 22nd, 2012, 08:32 AM
And back to the real thread......UND to build IPF!!!!

Which will be the nicest college football practice facility in ND.

TheBisonator
September 22nd, 2012, 09:24 AM

You are really something else.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM

I'm sure when it is built you will be up there drooling and cheering for your favorite team.

Professor Chaos
September 22nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
What are we talkin' about here?
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0421/nba_g_iverson11_300.jpg

MTfan4life
September 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
What are we talkin' about here?

We're talking about the most potential aspect for every incoming recruit. Anybody who's anybody knows that recruits don't care if you have a winning program, great philosophy, great academics, suitable location, or comfortable fit. Practice facilities are the only thing that should be shown on a campus visit, and if you don't have a state-of-the-art facility, you might as well drop back to NAIA.

MplsBison
September 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
We're talking about the most potential aspect for every incoming recruit. Anybody who's anybody knows that recruits don't care if you have a winning program, great philosophy, great academics, suitable location, or comfortable fit. Practice facilities are the only thing that should be shown on a campus visit, and if you don't have a state-of-the-art facility, you might as well drop back to NAIA.

That's a very absurd stance, which no one on this thread has advocated, myself especially.

darell1976
February 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Ground breaking....May 1st!!!

https://twitter.com/SiouxFootball

SiouxFootballInsider ‏@SiouxFootball

It has been announced that the groundbreaking for the #UND Indoor Athletic Complex will begin on May 1st. #gamechanger

http://iconarchitects.com/projects/masterplan/indoor-practice-facility.html

bisonnation
February 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM

We practice in the dome where our meeting rooms and coaching offices are located. The dome is nicer and its already "indoors." And we also have 4 outdoor fields including 2 field turfs and a brand new field identical to the turf on Gate City Bank Field. Still would be nice to have a 2nd indoor facility but apparently the new turf is getting fittings for a bubble/dome cover

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM
We practice in the dome. The dome is nicer and its already "indoors." And we also have 4 outdoor fields including 2 field turfs and a brand new field identical to the turf on Gate City Bank Field. Still would be nice to have a 2nd indoor facility

We practice in the dome when its available. So if its crappy outside and the Dome is booked we are SOL. That fact alone would be good to have an indoor facility. Plus coaches love practicing being indoors. For some reason they can get more accomplished.

darell1976
February 17th, 2013, 07:11 PM

the building features a full sized artificial turf football field, a 300 meter 8 lane track, and an elevated warm up track. The facility will also include areas for administration, coaches, recruiting offices, weight training and academic services.

This will have more than a football use.

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2013, 07:14 PM

This will have more than a football use.

Congrats to you guys. Sounds like a hell of a facility.

bisonnation
February 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
We practice in the dome when its available. So if its crappy outside and the Dome is booked we are SOL. That fact alone would be good to have an indoor facility. Plus coaches love practicing being indoors. For some reason they can get more accomplished.

The new turf were in the process of installing will have footings? to build a sports bubble/dome over the top. Its a good plan b when the dome is booked

The bsa renovation will cover everything else and we just completed the separate indoor track facility

And with the coaching offices, meeting rooms in the dome and weight room/training in the new bsa, there isn't a need.

Nevertheless nice facility for them

darell1976
February 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM

That is a big factor. Especially if an unplanned sports event is booked and you need that extra practice time you can't move a concert or a monster truck elsewhere.

bisonnation
February 17th, 2013, 07:33 PM
That is a big factor. Especially if an unplanned sports event is booked and you need that extra practice time you can't move a concert or a monster truck elsewhere.

Absolutely. I wish we made our track and field facility into a shared football facility. Strange seeing football take a backseat to track and field

FargoBison
February 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Absolutely. I wish we made our track and field facility into a shared football facility. Strange seeing football take a backseat to track and field

Actually football is taking a backseat to basketball. The track facility had to be built before the BSA could be renovated.

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Actually football is taking a backseat to basketball. The track facility had to be built before the BSA could be renovated.

How is FB taking a back seat to BB?

FargoBison
February 17th, 2013, 09:00 PM
How is FB taking a back seat to BB?

Well I guess I'm not sure it really did, it isn't like the FB program asked for an IPF I guess.

All I'm saying is the renovated BSA is the #1 priority and has been for sometime.

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2013, 10:05 PM

FB doesnt need anything. Track did. So how is FB taking a back seat?

Bisonoline
February 17th, 2013, 10:12 PM
Well I guess I'm not sure it really did, it isn't like the FB program asked for an IPF I guess.

All I'm saying is the renovated BSA is the #1 priority and has been for sometime.

The BSA will be used for many things not just BB. Just because its a number one priority to finish the funding doesnt mean FB is taking a back seat. FB drives the machine. They wont slight the hand that feeds it.

Hammersmith
February 17th, 2013, 10:28 PM
FB doesnt need anything. Track did. So how is FB taking a back seat?
A handful believe it was a waste to build a track facility that doesn't have a football field inside it. Never mind that dedicated facilities will be better for the program in the long run.

NoDak 4 Ever
February 18th, 2013, 07:48 AM
We practice in the dome when its available. So if its crappy outside and the Dome is booked we nut up like ****ing football players.

FIFY

darell1976
June 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/265402/group/Sports/

A historic UND athletics building is scheduled to be demolished this summer in order to make room for what school officials hope will be another significant structure on campus.

The old Ralph Engelstad Arena will be razed to pave the way for the UND Athletics High Performance Center — or more commonly known as the indoor practice facility

“We’ve received approval to proceed with the demolition,” UND athletic director Brian Faison said. “The funding is in place and the construction for Phase I of the facility will begin as soon as the demolition is done.”

UND hopes to have demolition work completed by the end of the summer.

Phase I of the indoor practice facility — a nearly $20 million undertaking — consists of a 100-yard football field and an eight-lane, 300-meter track. Phase I also includes spectator seating for approximately 1,500.

If funding is secured for Phase II, that would house an academic center, as well as space for sports medicine and strength and conditioning.

The timetable for completion of the indoor practice facility’s first phase hinges on the weather, Faison said.

The demolition process will take place in stages, he added.

“As I understand, they’re trying to salvage and remove certain materials,” Faison said

“This is a game-changer,” Faison said. “This spring is the absolute example of why this facility is necessary. It will have an incredible impact on UND athletics.”

The facility is expected to attract area teams, as well. The track, for example, could host high school or Division II meets.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/und-indoor.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/und-indoor.jpg.html)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/und-indoor1.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/und-indoor1.jpg.html)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/darell1976/und-indoor2.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/darell1976/media/und-indoor2.jpg.html)

Laker
June 9th, 2013, 05:16 PM
This will really change things. Looks pretty impressive. Have they done anything with Hyslop?

IBleedYellow
June 9th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Drago would have raped that ceiling with every kick...

WeAreNorthDakota
June 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Drago would have raped that ceiling with every kick...

Probably the case with most punters. Not an aspect I'd considered before.

IBleedYellow
June 9th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Guess that convo will go like this:

"Sorry punter, you have to go outside to practice!" xD

UNDColorado
June 10th, 2013, 10:54 AM
This will really change things. Looks pretty impressive. Have they done anything with Hyslop?

From what I understand the Hyslop will stay and will still house some athletic offices (phase 2 will house the rest of the athletic offices). I am not even sure that they will renovate it but i'd imagine they will do some things to improve the facility.

Yes, this will definitely change some things around campus. I can't wait to see some pictures of the work being done.

Bisonator
June 10th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Will the players still have to shovel the sidewalks to get in the building? xlolx

MplsBison
June 10th, 2013, 12:44 PM
UND and SDSU will have better practice facilities than NDSU in track and football, which purportedly are two of our best sports.

That's a simple fact. The 300m indoor tracks are much nicer than the 200m indoor tracks, particularly those like NDSU's with no banking. And NDSU doesn't even have a bubble over the Dacotah fieldturf in the winter.

Pretty sad.

Fargodome is still the best game day football facility in the Dakotas, for now.

darell1976
June 10th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Will the players still have to shovel the sidewalks to get in the building? xlolx

That's reserved for the baseball team to warm them up for spring.

darell1976
June 17th, 2013, 04:20 PM
http://ndus.edu/uploads%5Cresources%5C4086%5C6-20-13-sbhe-materials.pdf

University of North Dakota June 20, 2013
Authorize UND to proceed with construction of phase 1 of an indoor practice facility with an estimated
total cost of $13,500,000, to be funded from private funds. Furthermore, approve the attached
resolution authorizing University of North Dakota Foundation to issue not more than $13,500,000 in
University Facilities Bonds, Series 2013A, and authorize the execution of related documents for financing
the construction of the UND Athletics’ indoor training facility.

With limited land space near academic facilities, reutilization of the now abandoned Winter Sports
building was considered. Because hockey venues differ greatly from other athletic facilities, a potential
plan to use the existing building failed on size limitations in addition to major existing structural issues.
As a result, a plan to demolish the Winter Sports building (a.k.a. Old REA) and build in its place a new
practice facility emerged as the most practical solution, with cost estimates of $19,500,000.

UND is currently soliciting proposals for Construction Manager at Risk Services as per NDCC 48-01.2 for
demolition of the Winter Sports building, with an anticipated completion date of September 2013.
Design of the phase I component referenced above is underway, with construction anticipated to start
in the Fall of 2013.
The UND Foundation, which has guaranteed the funding for the project, will issue bonds to finance the
pledges for this project.
Project Description: The new facility will be located at the site of the Winter Sports building, adjacent
to the existing Memorial Stadium and EERC Research Campus. Preliminary design sets the footprint at
approximately 80,000 sq. ft., housing a full size football field, 300 meter track, and assorted field event
practice areas. The building will be owned by UND and UND will manage all aspects of design and
construction as well as having responsibility for operation and maintenance of the facility. The source of
funding for the project is gift funds from the UND Foundation. Phase two is pending, with UND seeking
additional SBHE approval as fund-raising for that component is completed. The second phase, estimated to cost $6 million, includes construction of an attached multipurpose training and administrative facility
that provides classrooms, a sports medicine clinic, strength and weight training areas, and
administrative space. Phase one can stand alone functionally, and does not require phase two for
occupancy or utilization.

Estimated Project Timeline and Completion Date: Construction of phase 1 is scheduled to begin in
August 2013 and estimated to be complete by August 2014. At this time, the completion of phase 2 is
anticipated by August 2015; however, completion is contingent upon UND Foundation securing all
necessary project funding.

Total cost 19.5 million PRIVATELY funded, and use can start next August in time for the 2014 season.

frozennorth
June 17th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Are they tearing out the remainer of the east stands? Better not be I loved causing mischief in there.

UNDBIZ
June 18th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Are they tearing out the remainer of the east stands? Better not be I loved causing mischief in there.

I thought I remembered the east stands already being gone. Based on the pictures it appears they'll be tearing down the wall that is still there also.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I thought I remembered the east stands already being gone. Based on the pictures it appears they'll be tearing down the wall that is still there also.

East stands are gone. If you go over the Columbia overpass you can see they aren't there.

344Johnson
June 18th, 2013, 09:20 AM
UND and SDSU will have better practice facilities than NDSU in track and football, which purportedly are two of our best sports.

That's a simple fact. The 300m indoor tracks are much nicer than the 200m indoor tracks, particularly those like NDSU's with no banking. And NDSU doesn't even have a bubble over the Dacotah fieldturf in the winter.

Pretty sad.

Fargodome is still the best game day football facility in the Dakotas, for now.

Thats fine if they have better practice facilities. Like you said, Fargodome is going to help NDSU win recruiting battles against these two regularly.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Thats fine if they have better practice facilities. Like you said, Fargodome is going to help NDSU win recruiting battles against these two regularly.

Was the case in the NCC? I think it may take more than just the dome.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 11:04 AM

The Dome and the national titles/winning tradition will obviously help. NDSU also will still have the best coaching offices in Division I football in the north central (better than those B1G teams too...probably until Minnesota builds its new facility).

But practice facilities are a big deal. Players spend most of their careers on the practice field, in the weight room, in the locker room, etc.

And don't underestimate the convenience of being able to go to one building for everything, vs. NDSU's piecemeal practice facilities.

Not saying it makes SDSU and UND better football programs than NDSU, but I'm saying they have better practice facilities until and unless NDSU builds something similar.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
The Dome and the national titles/winning tradition will obviously help. NDSU also will still have the best coaching offices in Division I football in the north central (better than those B1G teams too...probably until Minnesota builds its new facility).

But practice facilities are a big deal. Players spend most of their careers on the practice field, in the weight room, in the locker room, etc.

And don't underestimate the convenience of being able to go to one building for everything, vs. NDSU's piecemeal practice facilities.

Not saying it makes SDSU and UND better football programs than NDSU, but I'm saying they have better practice facilities until and unless NDSU builds something similar.

At this point, whatever incremental advantage a IPF would gain NDSU, it would not be worth the investment.

dystopiamembrane
June 18th, 2013, 11:24 AM
You're now the University of Oregon of the frozen north!

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM
You're now the University of Oregon of the frozen north!

Just without those hideous jerseys.

NoDak 4 Ever
June 18th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Just without those hideous jerseys.

Well that's not all they're without.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 11:36 AM

NDSU will obviously have the advantage throwing the NC rings, and banner at the recruits, however NC's can disappear in the history books. NDSU hit that drought in the mid to late 90's and in the early 2000's. UND gained the advantage with home playoff games, and 2 NC appearances. I don't know where SDSU fits in with recruiting in contrast with the other Dakota teams. At this point recruits would pick NDSU, SDSU, UND then USD. USD at this point has not much to offer no National Titles, no big stadium (like the Fargodome or CAS), Glenn has a tough road with that team especially in one of the toughest conferences in the FCS. SDSU is a basketball school, UND is a hockey school, NDSU is a football school and USD is just a school. The IPF will help SDSU and UND try to keep up with NDSU but with a big name coach in Craig Bohl, 2 national titles, a big stadium, and now a household name in the FCS it will be quite a battle for that player that makes or breaks your team.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Well that's not all they're without.

UND could do the flying V...oh wait wrong Ducks.xlolx

Bisonator
June 18th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I've never really understood the advantage of an indoor practice facility for football. Sure it would be nice in inclement weather (blizzard, downpour, blazing heat), but football isn't really a sport hampered by weather. Practicing outdoors helps our team when we travel since most games are outdoors anyway.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I've never really understood the advantage of an indoor practice facility for football. Sure it would be nice in inclement weather (blizzard, downpour, blazing heat), but football isn't really a sport hampered by weather. Practicing outdoors helps our team when we travel since most games are outdoors anyway.

It is more than just a football facility it will house track and other events, plus UND doesn't get to raid the Alerus Center so if an event is planned there (concert, convention, trade show, etc) UND can only practice at Memorial Stadium, this way they have their own indoor building to practice under their time schedule.

344Johnson
June 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Was the case in the NCC? I think it may take more than just the dome.

It'd be interesting to get some bigtime coaches stances on practicing indoors.

Bisonator
June 18th, 2013, 12:06 PM
It is more than just a football facility it will house track and other events, plus UND doesn't get to raid the Alerus Center so if an event is planned there (concert, convention, trade show, etc) UND can only practice at Memorial Stadium, this way they have their own indoor building to practice under their time schedule.

Oh I realize that, I was just referring to the football side of it. Obviously this is going to be a nice facility for UND and I am a bit jealous, I just don't see the huge advantage on the football side anyway.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Oh I realize that, I was just referring to the football side of it. Obviously this is going to be a nice facility for UND and I am a bit jealous, I just don't see the huge advantage on the football side anyway.

Maybe more of a convenience during the winter months if they can't use the Alerus. As for an advantage, yeah I wouldn't say huge but its a perk that no one has up here that they can try to lure a recruit. I think the sports that will have a huge advantage may be baseball/softball, and track.

IBleedYellow
June 18th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Maybe more of a convenience during the winter months if they can't use the Alerus. As for an advantage, yeah I wouldn't say huge but its a perk that no one has up here that they can try to lure a recruit. I think the sports that will have a huge advantage may be baseball/softball, and track.

If you get a recruit who doesn't want to play outside every, practice or games, you're screwed. You are in the Big Sky, you know. ;)

Still a nice place, would have been cool if NDSU's new indoor track facility had a field in the middle of it, but hopefully we can put a roof over the old turf from the Dome.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM
If you get a recruit who doesn't want to play outside every, practice or games, you're screwed. You are in the Big Sky, you know. ;)

Still a nice place, would have been cool if NDSU's new indoor track facility had a field in the middle of it, but hopefully we can put a roof over the old turf from the Dome.

UND does have 2 other dome teams in the BSC (ISU, NAU) so it could help with those games, and if they need to go outside there is Memorial Stadium. But a new weight room, coaching offices and other behind the scenes of football is going to be a plus.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
At this point, whatever incremental advantage a IPF would gain NDSU, it would not be worth the investment.

I'm not saying they need to build the whole facility, which would duplicate a lot of facilities already built out in the Fargodome.

But to say that NDSU...located in Fargo, ND ... does not need to invest in a covered field, even if it's just at least a bubble???? You gotta be joking me. ST. FRICKIN' CLOUD has a bubble.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM

The advantage is the 9 months out of the year that Fargo sucks for outdoor weather (yes, that's an exaggeration) and players could be doing conditioning drills, running routes, playing 7-on-7, etc. in a covered facility on actual fieldturf wearing actual cleats.

It's not rocket science. That's why so many schools have such a facility.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 12:58 PM
And don't forget...however inconsequential you think it is...there's always at least a little bit of "keeping up with the Jones's" when it comes to facilities.

Now any recruit's dad is going to be able to look at the recruiter and ask "Say...I'm just curious why SDSU and UND have invested in brand new indoor practice facilities for football, but a school like NDSU, which says football is its bread and butter sport, won't make that same investment?"

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I'm not saying they need to build the whole facility, which would duplicate a lot of facilities already built out in the Fargodome.

But to say that NDSU...located in Fargo, ND ... does not need to invest in a covered field, even if it's just at least a bubble???? You gotta be joking me. ST. FRICKIN' CLOUD has a bubble.

Fargo has a bubble.:D

http://www.thesportsbubble.com/

Bisonator
June 18th, 2013, 01:12 PM
The advantage is the 9 months out of the year that Fargo sucks for outdoor weather (yes, that's an exaggeration) and players could be doing conditioning drills, running routes, playing 7-on-7, etc. in a covered facility on actual fieldturf wearing actual cleats.

It's not rocket science. That's why so many schools have such a facility.

So you're saying it really isn't an issue. The players can do all of those things outside. The only months an IPF would be needed is December thru March and most of that time is spent in the weight room anyway!

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 01:22 PM
So you're saying it really isn't an issue. The players can do all of those things outside. The only months an IPF would be needed is December thru March and most of that time is spent in the weight room anyway!

No, most of that time is not spent in the weight room. Most of the time is spent doing conditioning/agility/speed drills. Weight lifting is of course a big component, but I bet no more than 25% of their time is actually spent lifting weights in the traditional sense. The rest requires a sufficient area to move around. And if such an are was located close to the weight room, all the better.

Sure...you can bundle up and "practice" in miserable conditions outside, assuming the ground is in decent shape. It's not the same as having a 70 degree environment.

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Look, no matter how hard you try you're never going to beat this: St. Cloud St has a bubble. St. frickin' Cloud.

If they felt they could gain enough utility to justify the cost, surely NDSU can do the same.

Bisonator
June 18th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Look, no matter how hard you try you're never going to beat this: St. Cloud St has a bubble. St. frickin' Cloud.

If they felt they could gain enough utility to justify the cost, surely NDSU can do the same.

I'm sure NDSU would love to have an IPF why don't you write them a check and they will put "MlsBison Indoor Practice Facility" on the wall! :D

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
As I said, don't need them to do the whole IPF like SDSU and UND are doing.

But at least a covered field! A bubble! St. Cloud can afford it! Are we poorer than St. Cloud??

Bisonator
June 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
As I said, don't need them to do the whole IPF like SDSU and UND are doing.

But at least a covered field! A bubble! St. Cloud can afford it! Are we poorer than St. Cloud??

Let's get the SHAC done first!

MplsBison
June 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Let's get the SHAC done first!

Should've had a bubble 10 years ago though...not just for football! Also think about rec sports, for students and for the city residents. Thing pays for itself.

And they did build the new track facility for what, $5 million? Bubble would be maybe half that.

IBleedYellow
June 18th, 2013, 04:56 PM
UND does have 2 other dome teams in the BSC (ISU, NAU) so it could help with those games, and if they need to go outside there is Memorial Stadium. But a new weight room, coaching offices and other behind the scenes of football is going to be a plus.

Yeah, but my point was if you have a recruit that's worried about the weather, it's not just home games he'll have to worry about, it's the UM, MSU, EWU, games that will scare him away. Which sucks.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 18th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, but my point was if you have a recruit that's worried about the weather, it's not just home games he'll have to worry about, it's the UM, MSU, EWU, games that will scare him away. Which sucks.

Nobody needs that guy anyway though. Shows an inherent weakness. xlolx

IBleedYellow
June 18th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Nobody needs that guy anyway though. Shows an inherent weakness. xlolx

Well, I agree, but I've heard many players state they wouldn't be able to play in the Northern states. Would I personally want them on my team, probably not, but clearly they make it on teams in Texas and other Southern states.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Well, I agree, but I've heard many players state they wouldn't be able to play in the Northern states. Would I personally want them on my team, probably not, but clearly they make it on teams in Texas and other Southern states.

Geography is not in the Dakota teams favor, although a dome helps (except SDSU) its the not the slam dunk thing to get a recruit. UND just had a QB from North Carolina he didn't complain about the weather when choosing UND he chose it because of the depth chart a huge factor for recruiting.

MarkyMark
June 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Question for anyone: Has a bubble or an IPF center moved a program at any level of college football from a mediocre program to a good program? or helped a decent program get to a championship or make a championship appearance?

I think the IPF's for UND and SDSU look great but there is something about practicing outside in bad weather that helps your team get/stay tough.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Question for anyone: Has a bubble or an IPF center moved a program at any level of college football from a mediocre program to a good program? or helped a decent program get to a championship or make a championship appearance?

I think the IPF's for UND and SDSU look great but there is something about practicing outside in bad weather that helps your team get/stay tough.

I sort of agree with this sentiment and don't know of any specifics as you had asked them. I do know that the topic of an IPF has been thrown around at Montana for a long time and have no idea how serious the topic is/was but it has never gotten the traction needed to go into the stage where I've ever seen anything more than idle talk over it. In fact in only an occasion or two in deep runs in the playoffs has the team even practiced indoors (the bball court, which I'm sure sucked) but it just hasn't been very necessary it would seem. However if a school wants it and they think it will help then more power to em'. It would have to be done for more than just football like UND is doing here.

I'm just not sure the benefit outweighs the cost but I could be wrong on that count.

MarkyMark
June 18th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I sort of agree with this sentiment and don't know of any specifics as you had asked them. I do know that the topic of an IPF has been thrown around at Montana for a long time and have no idea how serious the topic is/was but it has never gotten the traction needed to go into the stage where I've ever seen anything more than idle talk over it. In fact in only an occasion or two in deep runs in the playoffs has the team even practiced indoors (the bball court, which I'm sure sucked) but it just hasn't been very necessary it would seem. However if a school wants it and they think it will help then more power to em'. It would have to be done for more than just football like UND is doing here.

I'm just not sure the benefit outweighs the cost but I could be wrong on that count.

I am curious to see what the NDSU athletic department will focus on once our basketball arena gets completed. With how crazy we are for football I would think NDSU could build the best IPF in the region if they determined that was a need for the program. The difficulty of expanding the Fargodome is our biggest roadblock to growing our football program in my opinion.

CrazyCat
June 18th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Was 13.5 the final cost ?

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Was 13.5 the final cost ?

It's estimated the total cost including destruction of the old hockey arena would be around 19 million. The funds have been raised from the Spirit Campaign which had a goal of 300 million its around 330 million now.

CrazyCat
June 18th, 2013, 09:25 PM
It's estimated the total cost including destruction of the old hockey arena would be around 19 million. The funds have been raised from the Spirit Campaign which had a goal of 300 million its around 330 million now.

Thanks. Just wondering and calculating some fuzzy math in my head on some of our facility needs.

darell1976
June 18th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Thanks. Just wondering and calculating some fuzzy math in my head on some of our facility needs.

Authorize UND to proceed with construction of phase 1 of an indoor practice facility with an estimated
total cost of $13,500,000, to be funded from private funds. Furthermore, approve the attached
resolution authorizing University of North Dakota Foundation to issue not more than $13,500,000 in
University Facilities Bonds, Series 2013A, and authorize the execution of related documents for financing
the construction of the UND Athletics’ indoor training facility.

With limited land space near academic facilities, reutilization of the now abandoned Winter Sports
building was considered. Because hockey venues differ greatly from other athletic facilities, a potential
plan to use the existing building failed on size limitations in addition to major existing structural issues.
As a result, a plan to demolish the Winter Sports building (a.k.a. Old REA) and build in its place a new
practice facility emerged as the most practical solution, with cost estimates of $19,500,000.

89rabbit
June 18th, 2013, 10:39 PM

Do facilities win championships? No but they are still nice to have. Our team will continue to practice outside but they will soon (construction begins in July) have the option to practice inside as well.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111726-SDSU-gets-18-Million-dollar-gift&highlight=SDSU+Indoor+practice

UNDColorado
June 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Do facilities win championships? No but they are still nice to have. Our team will continue to practice outside but they will soon (construction begins in July) have the option to practice inside as well.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111726-SDSU-gets-18-Million-dollar-gift&highlight=SDSU+Indoor+practice

I agree. UND / SDSU will still continue to practice outside...especially when they are going on the road to an outdoor stadium. If the weather is terrible then you can go inside and still be able to run a full practice. I do not see a downside for UND and SDSU here.

This spring was terrible for practicing outside, both SDSU and UND had issues with running their normal schedules. Heck, I don't think SDSU even played their spring game.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM

Especially when they play indoors!

MplsBison
June 19th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I agree. UND / SDSU will still continue to practice outside...especially when they are going on the road to an outdoor stadium. If the weather is terrible then you can go inside and still be able to run a full practice. I do not see a downside for UND and SDSU here.

This spring was terrible for practicing outside, both SDSU and UND had issues with running their normal schedules. Heck, I don't think SDSU even played their spring game.

I can't believe people can only comprehend a need to practice football just in the fall.

It's a year round sport. Routes can and are being run from January through December. Conditioning/agility drills are the same way. An indoor field, at the least, is not a luxury.

MarkyMark
June 19th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I can't believe people can only comprehend a need to practice football just in the fall.

It's a year round sport. Routes can and are being run from January through December. Conditioning/agility drills are the same way. An indoor field, at the least, is not a luxury.

I do think IPF's are good thing for a football program. I am not questioning UND and SDSU building them to enhance their program but I simply put the question out there, "Has an IPF propelled a football program to a higher level?"

Once UND and SDSU complete their IPF's, I would like to see NDSU build a bigger and better version for our program.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I do think IPF's are good thing for a football program. I am not questioning UND and SDSU building them to enhance their program but I simply put the question out there, "Has an IPF propelled a football program to a higher level?"

Once UND and SDSU complete their IPF's, I would like to see NDSU build a bigger and better version for our program.

I feel like SDSU should want a better stadium before they go and build something just for practice. Maybe I'm thinking irrationally.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I feel like SDSU should want a better stadium before they go and build something just for practice. Maybe I'm thinking irrationally.

I'm sure glad MT went with that option as opposed to IPF but things are different with what is seen as most needed I suppose. Coughlin sure doesn't look like a bad stadium to me but I haven't seen it in person. Not saying an upgrade for them wouldn't be nice either.

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I'm sure glad MT went with that option as opposed to IPF but things are different with what is seen as most needed I suppose. Coughlin sure doesn't look like a bad stadium to me but I haven't seen it in person. Not saying an upgrade for them wouldn't be nice either.

One side isn't TOO BAD, but the bleachers that NDSU owns are pretty spooky when we get that place rocking with green and gold on them.

MplsBison
June 19th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Well it was a poorly defined question.

Are you talking about nationwide, where there are some parts of the country that literally can practice year long outdoors?

Are you only talking about programs that literally had no where to practice/train indoors? NDSU is does not fall into that category.

What does propel mean in your definition?

ETC.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 03:51 PM

UND might be looking at a new stadium once the IPF is built, and the lease on the Alerus is about to run out. They are building the IPF next to Memorial Stadium, so maybe a complete renovation including a retractable roof and 25k seats may be in the future. Of course it will be close to the end of the decade when this idea gets floated around.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
UND might be looking at a new stadium once the IPF is built, and the lease on the Alerus is about to run out. They are building the IPF next to Memorial Stadium, so maybe a complete renovation including a retractable roof and 25k seats may be in the future. Of course it will be close to the end of the decade when this idea gets floated around.

Would be exciting to see for sure.

344Johnson
June 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM

A.) I'll believe any retractable roof when I see it actually happen.

B.) 25,000 would be interesting, I wonder how many people would show up consistently.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
A.) I'll believe any retractable roof when I see it actually happen.

B.) 25,000 would be interesting, I wonder how many people would show up consistently.

For A to happen, $$$$ must roll in. As for B it will take UND scheduling all DI games and if the FBS hasn't split by then (then being around 2020) it will take great success in the Big Sky and a couple rings on the players/coaches fingers.

Southern Bison
June 19th, 2013, 05:40 PM
For A to happen, $$$$ must roll in. As for B it will take UND scheduling all DI games and if the FBS hasn't split by then (then being around 2020) it will take great success in the Big Sky and a couple rings on the players/coaches fingers.

Well now we know it won't happen!! :D Besides, y'all didn't hit 5-figures in the Alerus in 2012 and UM, MSU, & CP won't allow the Whioux any type of great success in the Big Fluffy.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Well now we know it won't happen!! :D Besides, y'all didn't hit 5-figures in the Alerus in 2012 and UM, MSU, & CP won't allow the Whioux any type of great success in the Big Fluffy.

We have hit 5 figures against a team like Texas A&M-Kingsville and St. Cloud State so its not like it won't happen.

Southern Bison
June 19th, 2013, 05:56 PM
We have hit 5 figures against a team like Texas A&M-Kingsville and St. Cloud State so its not like it won't happen.

You had a mascot once upon a time...are you telling us y'all will get one of those too?

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM
You had a mascot once upon a time...are you telling us y'all will get one of those too?

2015!!

IBleedYellow
June 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM

frozennorth
June 19th, 2013, 07:14 PM
and the lease on the Alerus is about to run out.
Ignoring the rest of your crazy post, the alerus was recently reupped for a decade around the time the new turf. Also the ipf appears to eat some of memorial stadiums east grandstand.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Ignoring the rest of your crazy post, the alerus was recently reupped for a decade around the time the new turf. Also the ipf appears to eat some of memorial stadiums east grandstand.

Memorial stadium is not affected by the IPF. The east stands have been gone for years.

frozennorth
June 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Th
Memorial stadium is not affected by the IPF. The east stands have been gone for years.
The stand have been, but the walls are still there, and if you actually bother to look at the official renderings and have and native sense of geometry, then it should be apparant that the ipf infringes on the current site of memorial stadium.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Th
The stand have been, but the walls are still there, and if you actually bother to look at the official renderings and have and native sense of geometry, then it should be apparant that the ipf infringes on the current site of memorial stadium.

Funny how nothing was said that the IPF will take over parts of Memorial Stadium.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Th

According to IrishSiouxFan on SS it will come close but will not overlap Memorial Stadium.

dakotadan
June 19th, 2013, 08:48 PM
The IPF was purposely designed to wrap around the existing footprint of Memorial Stadium. The old brick wall that wrapped around the stadium will virtually be where the walls of the IPF will be built. This was done purposely to give UND the option of some day returning to a remodeled Memorial Stadium. And that came straight from the AD.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 09:08 PM
The IPF was purposely designed to wrap around the existing footprint of Memorial Stadium. The old brick wall that wrapped around the stadium will virtually be where the walls of the IPF will be built. This was done purposely to give UND the option of some day returning to a remodeled Memorial Stadium. And that came straight from the AD.

Thanks Dan!!

dakotadan
June 19th, 2013, 09:40 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/dakotadan/627415.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/dakotadan/media/627415.jpg.html)
This is probably the best view of how it sits up against the old stadium. You can see the grassy area where the east bleachers used to sit. Random fact: the old east bleachers are now used at the Grand Forks racetrack.

If Memorial was remodeled the thought is the track would be removed, the field would be slide closer to the original grandstand, and a new grandstand would be built connected to the IPF possibly wrapping around to the old grandstand to create a horseshoe or bowl.

darell1976
June 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a228/dakotadan/627415.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/dakotadan/media/627415.jpg.html)
This is probably the best view of how it sits up against the old stadium. You can see the grassy area where the east bleachers used to sit. Random fact: the old east bleachers are now used at the Grand Forks racetrack.

If Memorial was remodeled the thought is the track would be removed, the field would be slide closer to the original grandstand, and a new grandstand would be built connected to the IPF possibly wrapping around to the old grandstand to create a horseshoe or bowl.

Could the stadium rotate into a horseshoe with the endzones going east west? (for those that don't know the stadium sits north-south so the new endzone would be the towards the IPF).

frozennorth
June 19th, 2013, 11:04 PM
That diagram again seems to show the ipf infringing pretty deep into what is currently within the confines of memorial stadium. I'll take a look tomorrow or Friday.

WeAreNorthDakota
June 20th, 2013, 09:26 PM
That diagram again seems to show the ipf infringing pretty deep into what is currently within the confines of memorial stadium. I'll take a look tomorrow or Friday.

Mostly just some fencing I believe. I see no reason why that small brick wall on the east side of the field would need to be kept in tact for a Memorial renovation. Much less important than the permanent bleachers/offices.

UNDBIZ
June 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Here are the old plans. West side of IPF (offices, locker rooms, etc) appears to be under the east stadium stands (they're building it to work that way). I think a retractable roof is obviously a pipe dream, but apparently it was somebody's long-term vision/hope.

Stadium on left, IPF on right, outdoor track across the street to the north (currently a parking lot).

Bigger pics at http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/18062-indoor-practice-facility-coming-soon/page__st__160

darell1976
June 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM
Here are the old plans. West side of IPF (offices, locker rooms, etc) appears to be under the east stadium stands (they're building it to work that way). I think a retractable roof is obviously a pipe dream, but apparently it was somebody's long-term vision/hope.

Stadium on left, IPF on right, outdoor track across the street to the north (currently a parking lot).

Bigger pics at http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/18062-indoor-practice-facility-coming-soon/page__st__160

How much would a retractable roof cost this small? The one in Atlanta including the cost of destroying the Georgia Dome is 947 mil, Arizona paid 518 mil, in 2013 dollars but UND doesn't need a stadium for 63,000+. Is there any retractable roof stadiums in either the FBS or FCS that is NOT used in the NFL?

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/new-stadium-plan-retractable-roof-demolish-dome-1/nQTK4/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium

UNDColorado
June 21st, 2013, 10:05 AM
How much would a retractable roof cost this small? The one in Atlanta including the cost of destroying the Georgia Dome is 947 mil, Arizona paid 518 mil, in 2013 dollars but UND doesn't need a stadium for 63,000+. Is there any retractable roof stadiums in either the FBS or FCS that is NOT used in the NFL?

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/football/new-stadium-plan-retractable-roof-demolish-dome-1/nQTK4/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium

Retractable roofs are so expensive...not realistic. However, a clear / transparent roof like the Vikings new stadium could be a more economical option. Discuss.

MplsBison
June 21st, 2013, 10:32 AM
Or just be reasonable and build it as a fixed roof.

There's no way you're ever going to get a significant percentage of a stadium built with public dollars that isn't to some extent a multi-purpose, "people's stadium" type of facility. They're not going to build you a $100 million building for 6-8 football games a year.

And in that case...you already have the Alerus. The fact that it only seats 13.5k doesn't mean anything. That won't hold you back from moving to FBS if that's what the future holds.

Now if you get another mega gift to build it...bless your hearts. Do with it as you please.

darell1976
June 21st, 2013, 10:51 AM
Retractable roofs are so expensive...not realistic. However, a clear / transparent roof like the Vikings new stadium could be a more economical option. Discuss.

I wonder if the people at the Alerus would frown upon another dome especially a bigger one that they (city of Grand Forks) can't control.

darell1976
June 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM
Or just be reasonable and build it as a fixed roof.

There's no way you're ever going to get a significant percentage of a stadium built with public dollars that isn't to some extent a multi-purpose, "people's stadium" type of facility. They're not going to build you a $100 million building for 6-8 football games a year.

And in that case...you already have the Alerus. The fact that it only seats 13.5k doesn't mean anything. That won't hold you back from moving to FBS if that's what the future holds.

Now if you get another mega gift to build it...bless your hearts. Do with it as you please.

That is the only way I see UND getting such a dome. If you tell the students, alumni, etc. lets raise money for it (like the Spirit Campaign) I don't think they would be too enthused for the reason you gave (football only).

Hammerhead
June 21st, 2013, 11:27 AM
Retractable roofs are a waste of money. It's like paying for a convertible and only getting a sunroof.

darell1976
June 21st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Retractable roofs are a waste of money. It's like paying for a convertible and only getting a sunroof.

Unless UND can use it for baseball they do need an on campus facility of it.

darell1976
September 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Groundbreaking today!!!!!!!!!!

http://undnews.areavoices.com/2013/09/03/und-breaks-ground-for-und-athletics-high-performance-center-thursday-sept-5/

The University of North Dakota will hold groundbreaking ceremonies for Phase I of the $13 million UND Athletics (http://www.undsports.com/) High Performance Center (http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205670444) Thursday, Sept. 5, 1:30 p.m., at the UND Practice Field South (south of Memorial Stadium). Parking is available in the UND lot on Second Avenue North, just north of Memorial Stadium. - See more at: http://undnews.areavoices.com/2013/09/03/und-breaks-ground-for-und-athletics-high-performance-center-thursday-sept-5/#sthash.krlHjZzP.dpuf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HV2GeusQ4dU

MplsBison
September 5th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Ugh. Every time I look at UND and SDSU's new indoor facilities, it makes me shake my head at the dinky indoor facility NDSU built that can literally do nothing more than host indoor track meets on its undersized, 200m track.

Not fair.

darell1976
June 12th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Update:

Contruction crews have begun work on the University of North Dakota High Performance Center over the last few weeks, preparing the footings for the building that will be a game-changer for UND athletics.
Early work has focused on the ground, digging down 10 feet to prepare for the 100-yard artificial turf and 8-lane, 300-meter track. In the coming weeks, steel framing and cranes will move into the area to construct the building.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=209518765

They expect Phase 1 done by fall, I hope the rainy spring hasn't slowed them down.

SDFS
May 19th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Looks like things are moving forward on Phase 1 and it sounds like they will start funding raising for Phase II $15 addition later this year.

The UND High Performance Center, a more than $18 million facility, is expected be in the university’s possession by August 1.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-football/3746829-und-football-high-performance-center-be-ready-august

UNDColorado
June 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM
https://instagram.com/p/4kM_LstcGU/

For those interested it looks like progress in the UND indoor practice facility is on track to finish 8/1.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20900&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20900&stc=1

nodak651
June 30th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Looking good! Hopefully they can get phase II started relatively soon.

344Johnson
June 30th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Said it on Hitler Youth board, I'll say it here. Looks great. Congrats to the UND on raising the money for it

UNDColorado
July 1st, 2015, 05:01 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20907&stc=1

Turf going in today.

UNDColorado
July 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20947&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20948&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20949&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20950&stc=1

Hambone
July 10th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Coming along nicely!! Excited for the final product.

geaux_sioux
July 10th, 2015, 04:51 PM
I'm very concerned about the lack of natural lighting in there.

lionsrking2
July 10th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Looks great! xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
July 10th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Are we sure these aren't just more pictures of the Alerus Center?

344Johnson
July 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Are we sure these aren't just more pictures of the Alerus Center?

The atmosphere will be similar in both no doubt