PDA

View Full Version : GTTS: Patriot League Offseason 2006

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2006, 04:00 PM
A few days late, but here is my much-anticipated review of the offseason for every team in the Patriot League. Included are: "big name to replace", "coaching changes", "review of incoming class", and more:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

DFW HOYA
July 16th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Can you make one quick correction? On the Michael Ononibaku item for Georgetown, the school is not at Foggy Bottom--that's George Washington. (That's like referring to the Lehigh campus as "College Hill".)

Great summary, though.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks DFW, it's fixed.

ngineer
July 16th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Can you make one quick correction? On the Michael Ononibaku item for Georgetown, the school is not at Foggy Bottom--that's George Washington. (That's like referring to the Lehigh campus as "College Hill".)

Great summary, though.

Good point. I, too, would be offended if I was accused of having a foggy bottom....:D ;)

colgate13
July 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
On Colgate's front, we also lost coach Bob Fraser to Rutgers. He coached the linebackers - and therefore coached three out of the last four PL Defensive POY's. We will miss him.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 10:45 AM
On Colgate's front, we also lost coach Bob Fraser to Rutgers. He coached the linebackers - and therefore coached three out of the last four PL Defensive POY's. We will miss him.

Good point - forgot to mention him in the article. My personal favorite part of the article was Biddle not only (for the first time) *speaking* about spring practice, but only saying it was "so-so".

Yeah, right!. :rolleyes: :D Biddle is the Woodrow Wilson of the Patriot League! Maybe I'll nickname him "Woodrow". :)

Fordham
July 17th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Great write-up. Thanks for putting that together. I like the fact that it's more focused on how teams did in the off-season v. a prediction of the upcoming season, so it brings something a little different to the table from what gate13 put together (even though you both touched upon both topics). Again, good stuff.

Also, for what it's worth Fordham recruited 3 (not 2) 300lbers for the O-line along with two guys are a Coney Island hot dog eating contest away from topping that mark as well. Our strength in this class is definitely the big uglies, although the staff is raving about Jason Caldwell (WR from a PG year at Wyoming Seminary) as an impact guy at this point. Obviously not a big deal but figured I'd mention it since your affinity for the big guys (and specifically the 300+ lber's) shines through (I share your love of the big, smash mouth, OL):

1. Robby Reis OL - 6’2” 316 - Vermont Gatorade Player of the Year; Vermont Red Zone Player of the Year; 2005 1st Team All State; 2005 1st Team All-State; Team MVP

2. Amen Igbinuson OL - 6’4”320 - 2005 1st Team All Union County; 2005 1st Team All Group; 2005 Hon. Mention All State (NJ); 3rd Ranked OL in New Jersey; 2005, 2004 1st Team All Area; 2005, 2004, 2003 1st Team All League

3. Tom Porto OL 6'3 305 - ESPN Top 150 Linemen in the Country; 2005 Sec. III Most Outstanding Player; 2005 Sec. III All Star; 2005 Sec. III Champions

4. Frank Rizzo OL 6'3 285 - 2004 New Jersey State Champions (Bergen Catholic); 2nd Team All League; 2 Way Starter DT/OT; One of gate13's favorite incoming frosh due to his name.

5. James Dunn OL 6'2 270 - 2005 1st Team All League; 2005 Philadelphia City Champions (St. Joe's Prep); Member of Daily News Best OL; Team Ranked USA Today Top 25

These guys join 3 or 4 soph's from last year's recruiting class who are all 300lbers and got a lot of PT last year due to injuries ... as well as junior Mike Nardone (6'1. 294), who was not eligible last year but former Coach Ed Foley referred to as our best OL-man, as well as 2 other starters (Ricky Bencivenni, 6'2 250) and Mike Breznicky, 6' 280)to give us a nice big, experienced group up front, which hasn't been the case in a long, long time. Can't wait to see what Ed Argast, who has a great reputation as an OL coach, can do with these guys.

Again, great write-up.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Thanks Fordham. Another indication that it's worth keeping an eye on you guys. Yeah, I'm a big believer that winning football games starts with the "big uglies" up front, and my incoming class grades reflect that. :)