PDA

View Full Version : Who's going claim the Southland Conference Championship?

GeauxLions94
July 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Is McNeese State back? Can Nicholls State and Texas State repeat? Or is Southeastern Louisiana, Northwestern State, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin ready to lay claim to the title?

TheValleyRaider
July 15th, 2006, 05:45 PM
McNeese looks like they've been building and growing. The 'Boys are back.

BEAR
July 15th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I can't believe you didn't put UCA in those options! I mean we are trying to get early entrance.....:eyebrow:

...ohhh wait a minute..we aren't eligible yet...

that's ok...probably wouldn't win it anyway!xlolx

golionsgo
July 15th, 2006, 07:21 PM
McNeese looks like they've been building and growing. The 'Boys are back.

Not buying the Cowboy hype. I'm sure they'll be better but they don't match up well with either us or Texas State and I think they'll lose a third one in there somewhere. But I guess they have as good a shot as anybody. It's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

blackfordpu
July 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Do you even have to ask? The Kats are running away with it again baby! http://forum.harrisangling.co.uk/forum/images/smilies/mario.gif

We are going to whip up on the SLC..... http://forum.digital-digest.com/images/smilies/1/sandm.gif

That is if our coach can get a QB settled and concentrate on making the starter comfortable with his system. I see that as our only huge weakness. WRs have more experience and a couple of those guys could break it open this season.

We have a very good and experienced secondary and if they stay healthy could take away several passes this year.

The OL and DL are pretty big and we have some experienced guys there too.

RBs could be a weakness or a huge boost to the team, only time will tell there.

JohnStOnge
July 15th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Is McNeese State back?

I don't think so. At least not to what they were for most of 1991-2003. However, I wouldn't say they don't have a shot because nobody really sticks out right now as a prohibitive favorite.

Of course, I'd love to be surprised and have McNeese back to its former relatively consistent level.

JohnStOnge
July 15th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Not buying the Cowboy hype. I'm sure they'll be better but they don't match up well with either us or Texas State and I think they'll lose a third one in there somewhere. But I guess they have as good a shot as anybody. It's up for grabs as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know if it's so much not matching up well as just not being good the past two years. I'd say that McNeese's 2004 team was its worse since 1990 and the 2005 team was the third worst...with it being close to 1996 for second worse. Hopefully, from my standpoint, they'll be able to make significant progress this season.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 15th, 2006, 07:58 PM
it's too wide open (like always). nicholls always manages to "sneak up" on everyone else and i don't think this season will be any different. however, i really like SELA's chances with their great offense (pass-happy now with a loaded backfield) and great defense.

Cat79
July 15th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Texas State will have a winning season.:D

lambertjr
July 15th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Just for kicks I played the conference schedule on my PS2, I used NW La. obviously, and the Demons finished 3-3.
I don't think it will be my guys :( .
But I can hope!!:hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray:

blackfordpu
July 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Just for kicks I played the conference schedule on my PS2, I used NW La. obviously, and the Demons finished 3-3.
I don't think it will be my guys :( .
But I can hope!!:hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray:

which version? 06 or 07?

golionsgo
July 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I don't know if it's so much not matching up well as just not being good the past two years. I'd say that McNeese's 2004 team was its worse since 1990 and the 2005 team was the third worst...with it being close to 1996 for second worse. Hopefully, from my standpoint, they'll be able to make significant progress this season.

No doubt your overall team performance is a direct result of not being as good, but I still don't think you guys match up very well with us. Even in 2003 when we were totally outmanned physically, we still had a bunch of things open in the passing game that we just missed on, either because of a drop, an overthrow or too much pressure. I remember saying at the time that if we had the same level of talent, or close to it, we would move the ball well against the Cowboys. Fast forward a year to 2004, and again to 2005 and I think my hunch was pretty much correct. Plus I think we're at the point now defensively where just about anybody we play will have a tough time moving the football.

kats89
July 16th, 2006, 07:56 AM
:twocents: This season will be very interesting to say the least. I have been saying that I thought McNeese is the team to beat, but I do feel that SE La. could be the up and coming surprise team this year.

I do like SHSU's chances if the coach will settle on a starting QB. OL is solid, WR's are good size and will get open. QB's are very capable, but someone needs to step up and take the job. Our defense will be very good with the secondary being the strength.

Tx State, McNeese St, Nicholls St and UCA all have to come to our house. I see us going 3-1. How we play on the road will be the determing factor for us with conference games at NW St, SE La and SFA. The early part of the season will be a very good indication of our team with 4 of our first 5 on the road @Missouri St, @SMU, @ Texas and @ NW State.

Again, the SLC is hard to predict. Everyone beats up on each other in this league. I think the team with the best conference road record is the team to beat, how's that?xcoffeex

lambertjr
July 16th, 2006, 09:01 AM
which version? 06 or 07?

'06......Still waiting for Tuesday to pick-up the '07 game.:bang:

golionsgo
July 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
:twocents: This season will be very interesting to say the least. I have been saying that I thought McNeese is the team to beat, but I do feel that SE La. could be the up and coming surprise team this year.

By no means am I saying we'll sneak up and win the league this year. We have concerns like everyone else, but I do think we'll be a factor and I agree it's a wide open race.