PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh Coaches Thrilled with Incoming Freshman Class

ngineer
August 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Reports out of camp at Sunday's Annual "Steak Fry" with football alums, players and coaches had several of the coaches very pleased with how the new frosh have shown in camp. One got the impression some make be heard from early this year, especially a certain wr from Florida who has speed to burn...an unusual commodity in past years for Lehigh. While nothing serious, a number of 'minor' injuries have slowed some progress with the OL. The "new" concussion rules have lead to a number of players being held out for precautions. Man, how times have changed. Can't tell you have many times one had their 'bell rung' back in my day and once cleared with smelling salts, back in you went.
Colvin has taken great strides since last year and there is a real competition for the #2 QB position between Jr. Bialkowski and So. McHale. RB Barket is 'almost 100%' which is great news. Def coaches impressed with the overall speed of the LB corps--probably the one segment of the team with the most question marks due to graduations. Key will be solid tackling. Long range forecast for Saturday is warm and sunny.
Halftime of the Lehigh-Monmouth game will feature a salute to the Lehigh Basketball team for their historic season.

heath
August 27th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Reports out of camp at Sunday's Annual "Steak Fry" with football alums, players and coaches had several of the coaches very pleased with how the new frosh have shown in camp. One got the impression some make be heard from early this year, especially a certain wr from Florida who has speed to burn...an unusual commodity in past years for Lehigh. While nothing serious, a number of 'minor' injuries have slowed some progress with the OL. The "new" concussion rules have lead to a number of players being held out for precautions. Man, how times have changed. Can't tell you have many times one had their 'bell rung' back in my day and once cleared with smelling salts, back in you went.
Colvin has taken great strides since last year and there is a real competition for the #2 QB position between Jr. Bialkowski and So. McHale. RB Barket is 'almost 100%' which is great news. Def coaches impressed with the overall speed of the LB corps--probably the one segment of the team with the most question marks due to graduations. Key will be solid tackling. Long range forecast for Saturday is warm and sunny.
Halftime of the Lehigh-Monmouth game will feature a salute to the Lehigh Basketball team for their historic season.

Thought that Patsy Rating "guy" gave a low rating??????????????Would be nice to prove an idiot wrong-GOOD LUCK LEHIGH

van
August 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Thought that Patsy Rating "guy" gave a low rating??????????????Would be nice to prove an idiot wrong-GOOD LUCK LEHIGH

Patsy rating was not really low, just not the highest in the league. And I believe there was a commit or two after the Patsy came out which might have booted it a few pts.

heath
August 27th, 2012, 05:07 PM
can the Patriot give redshirts now(next year) that they offer scholarships?Really helps many CAA teams etc. That 5th year really makes FCS teams much better.

RichH2
August 27th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Watch for Verdon at OLB. Concussion rules may be a bit tight but it is the cumulation of them without proper rest that does most dmb. I cannot count # of times my bell was rung. Back then trainers used # of fingers. If u got right in u went.

RichH2
August 27th, 2012, 05:18 PM
No redshirts.

carney2
August 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM

Not so. The rating was pretty high.

The Idiot

DetroitFlyer
August 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Still cannot believe that WR is not playing for Dayton....

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Would be nice to prove an idiot wrong

It's not worth the time to explain the fallacy of your educational decisions.

The Patsy system is the best we have and for entertainment purposes only.

Pard4Life
August 27th, 2012, 07:55 PM

http://www.openideo.com/open/how-can-we-improve-sanitation-and-better-manage-human-waste-in-low-income-urban-communities/inspiration/who-gives-a-crap/gallery/whogivesacrap.jpg/

ngineer
August 27th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Certainly not Laughyette, whose been collectively constipated in wins for several years.

Franks Tanks
August 28th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Has a coach ever said..” Those guys we recruited 6 months ago really suck. I don’t know what we were thinking”

RichH2
August 28th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Has a coach ever said..” Those guys we recruited 6 months ago really suck. I don’t know what we were thinking”

LOL. Certainly not any that planned on keeping his job. Altho, unusual for Andy to even mention class much less specfic frosh after camp.

van
August 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
LOL. Certainly not any that planned on keeping his job. Altho, unusual for Andy to even mention class much less specfic frosh after camp.

Very unusual, and pretty rare that Frosh show up on a 2 deep chart or get much time on the field. Think Suggs (k-o returns) was the most visible last year. Can't remember the last time a frosh was one of the starting 22, Rackley maybe?

crusader11
August 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM
What coaching staff at a BBQ with alums and supporters of the program alike would say: "Boy, the freshmen class that we just recruited really aren't very good."

Tanks, just saw your post. Funny.

Pard4Life
August 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Very unusual, and pretty rare that Frosh show up on a 2 deep chart or get much time on the field. Think Suggs (k-o returns) was the most visible last year. Can't remember the last time a frosh was one of the starting 22, Rackley maybe?

This is the same thing as a guy going around office blabbering, "Boy, I love my new car! It has great acceleration and has a fully loaded GPS and heated seats!". Again, who gives a crap.

Lafayette always has a couple of frosh on the two deep and received non-ST playing experience when we were winning 7-8 games per year. Take a ticket, get in line.

RichH2
August 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Been to a bunch of these over the decades. Usual coach quote is frosh are doing fine and progressing well. Coen has never before lauded a class and named specific standouts. At least prior to the season.. My question is are they that good so as to beat out good upperclassmen or are the upperclassmen not as good as hoped.

ngineer
August 28th, 2012, 01:07 PM

True, but I can't remember coaches being as enthused over some specific players and actually indicating that some will be pushing for time. Usually you get the generic "there's a lot of talent, they're making strides, blah, blah." However, this was different. Of course, such visions can go to hell real quick with injuries and/or academic issues. We had a kid about 8 years ago, who saw time at TB as a frosh. Had 100 yards in a game. Never seen again due to academics. Bottom line is that there is a bright future as well as a present.

carney2
August 28th, 2012, 01:30 PM
can the Patriot give redshirts now(next year) that they offer scholarships?Really helps many CAA teams etc. That 5th year really makes FCS teams much better.

The answer is, no at this moment and probably no for the foreseeable future. The Patriot League rule is, and has been, medical redshirts only. To do otherwise might create a competitive imbalance, as many schools in the Patriot League (Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross and Lafayette of the "core" schools) either have no graduate programs or only a very meager one. Of the "core" schools, only Lehigh has a serious and significant graduate program. A school with a lot of graduate options has a huge advantage over a school that does not when it comes to stashing a player for a 5th year.

RichH2
August 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
He was a stunning talent, or the Fl. LB who was medicaled out of football. There are dozens more that I can think of. Academics, homesickness, burnout, injury all there. Does not take away from Andy's surprising enthusiasm. Pards shouldn't be so negative. Heck, they beat us on 6 or 7 recruits this yr.

carney2
August 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Prediction: That freshman wideout from Florida will have immediate and significant impact. The faithful, who could never spell his name anyway, will forget Drwal in a heartbeat.

van
August 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Prediction: That freshman wideout from Florida will have immediate and significant impact. The faithful, who could never spell his name anyway, will forget Drwal in a heartbeat.

Like your predictions, but there is a particular one hand catch that is pretty indelible in my mind.

RichH2
August 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I kept the clip. A leader who will be very hard to replace. DK entirely different talent. Very fast, hands and shiftiness. He will make it hard for anyone to double Ryan. Dave must be ecstatic with all his wr talent. Just needs to keep the qb confidant and focused.