PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 8-27

JALMOND
August 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I'm a couple days early with these, but with half the Big Sky teams starting play on Thursday, it seemed to be right. A lot of changes in the offseason has inflated the conference to 13 teams and not everyone will play each other. Also, the level of improvement is evident in all the teams which made a preseason ranking very difficult, so it should stimulate great discussion. Here are the rankings for the preseason. As usual, all are my opinions only so take it as it is.

1. Montana State Bobcats---Probably the team with the least amount of questions, the Bobcats return a lot from last season's run through the conference. About the only main question evolves from if they can win in the playoffs, which means getting there is pretty much a given. The season begins at home for the Bobcats against Chadron State, a team that surprised the Bobcats a few seasons back.

2. Eastern Washington Eagles---The Eagles have been pretty consistent through the recent years, but this time they must replace their quarterback. Mini-Quarterback U has dug once again into the transfer ranks, stealing one from SMU so they should not miss a beat. They start the season on the road against the WAC's Idaho team.

3. Cal Poly Mustangs---Hard to imagine a newcomer to the conference could have about as much experience at the coaching level as the Mustangs do, but Walsh has seen success in the Big Sky before, having coached at Portland State when they came into the conference. Combine that with an experienced quarterback and the Mustangs could find themselves near the top. An opening game at home against San Diego should iron out the wrinkles.

4. Montana Grizzlies---The offseason turmoil on campus has robbed the Grizzlies the coach of the year, as well as their AD and their starting quarterback. It remains to be seen how it all plays out, but the most dangerous animal on earth is a wounded grizzly bear and the Grizzlies are definitely wounded and dangerous. They will welcome South Dakota the opening weekend.

5. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The Jacks return the conference's top rusher from last season and hope to build around him. High expectations in the preseason usually do not translate into success during the season, but maybe this will be the year. They start on the road at Pac-12's Arizona State.

6. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---One of the things necessary to succeed in the Big Sky is a strong returning quarterback and the Thunderbirds are led by one of the nation's best. If they can get the defense to come around they could turn heads in their first season in the conference. They start on the road playing against the WAC's Utah State.

7. North Dakota Sioux---Last season, the Sioux were up and down, but found enough life to finish the year in the top 25 in most publications. Now with a good core group returning, they are poised to make some noise their first year in the conference. They will start the year at home against the DII's South Dakota Mines.

8. Portland State Vikings---A big improvement last year over the year before has some Vikings fans looking forward to this season. But replacing both Kavanaugh and McCaffrey and tweaking the pistol offense has saddled this year's team with questions right off the bat. They welcome NAIA powerhouse, Carroll College to Portland during the opening weekend.

9. Weber State Wildcats---The Wildcats knew after last season that they would have to replace their long time coach who was retiring, but they did not think they would have to reopen the search once their new coach left for Arkansas. Getting accustomed to each other as well as the new faces and the Wildcats could be rebuilding. They start the year at WAC's Fresno State.

10. Sacramento State Hornets---Great things were planned for the Hornets last year and they looked promising after a season opening win at Oregon State. However, the injury bug hit and they struggled to stay relevant throughout the season. Will they return back or were they just a flash in the pan. They go on the road and play the WAC's New Mexico State.

11. Idaho State Bengals---This is usually when Kramer's teams start to make noise in the conference and perhaps the Bengals can surprise. Hard to be worse than last year and that is something Kramer will not stand for. They start on the road against the Mountain West's Air Force squad.

12. UC-Davis Aggies---The Aggies should have a great defense this season. The bad thing in that in the Big Sky, defenses sometimes go by the wayside in matchups with the high fueled offenses in the conference. If they can find an offense, they could surprise. As it is, they start the season at home against the NAIA's Azusa Pacific.

13. Northern Colorado Bears---Don't be surprised, the Bears will be better this year. The question is that the conference will be much improved as well. The Bears have the talent to be competitive in every game and could surprise some teams. They start the year at Pac-12's Utah.

1 is a given, but many questions for all the rest. Should be a great year.

darell1976
August 25th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I would have it:

1. MSU
2. Cal Poly
3. EWU
4. Montana
5. UND
6. NAU
7. SUU
8. PSU
9. WSU
10 Sac St
11. UC Davis
12. ISU
13. UNC

slostang
August 25th, 2012, 11:07 PM
The Aggies first opponent Azusa Pacific moved up to DII.

coover
August 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
The Aggies first opponent Azusa Pacific moved up to DII. Quite right, except I would not use the phrase "moved up". Azusa Pacific moved their sports programs from NAIA to NCAA Division 2. There is not much difference with the quality of top NAIA athletes and top NCAA Division 2 athletes, and I would not be surprised to see Azusa Pacific close to or at the top of their Division 2 league this year.

I would agree that the bottom level NAIA schools might have problems competing with bottom level NCAA DII, as they tend to be smaller in number of students, but that is not true at the top. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to having an NCAA sports program, but there are also certain advantages and disadvantages to a school competing in the NAIA. I'm not sure what those advantages and disadvantages are, but Azusa Pacific (and Cal Baptist) evidently found that NCAA affiliation to be more advantageous than NAIA affiliation.

darell1976
August 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Quite right, except I would not use the phrase "moved up". Azusa Pacific moved their sports programs from NAIA to NCAA Division 2. There is not much difference with the quality of top NAIA athletes and top NCAA Division 2 athletes, and I would not be surprised to see Azusa Pacific close to or at the top of their Division 2 league this year.

I would agree that the bottom level NAIA schools might have problems competing with bottom level NCAA DII, as they tend to be smaller in number of students, but that is not true at the top. Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to having an NCAA sports program, but there are also certain advantages and disadvantages to a school competing in the NAIA. I'm not sure what those advantages and disadvantages are, but Azusa Pacific (and Cal Baptist) evidently found that NCAA affiliation to be more advantageous than NAIA affiliation.

Would you rank it this way:
NCAA FBS
NCAA FCS
NCAA DII
NAIA DI
NCAA DIII

MTfan4life
August 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I would have it:

1. MSU
2. Cal Poly
3. EWU
4. Montana
5. UND
6. NAU
7. SUU
8. PSU
9. WSU
10 Sac St
11. UC Davis
12. ISU
13. UNC

Darell, I am curious to hear your reasoning behind why you have cal poly at number two for your power rankings. They were 6-5 last season and they return 7 starters, which is the lowest of all 13 Big Sky teams. I understand that every one is entitled to an opinion, so I'm simply asking for yours.

slostang
August 26th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Darell, I am curious to hear your reasoning behind why you have cal poly at number two for your power rankings. They were 6-5 last season and they return 7 starters, which is the lowest of all 13 Big Sky teams. I understand that every one is entitled to an opinion, so I'm simply asking for yours.

First, the number of starters is questionable. Not counted in returning starters is OT Giovani Sani that has 16 starts in the last three years, RB Williams 4 starts in 2011 and former Big Sky Newcomer of e Year, WR Willie Tucker who played more snaps than last years starters on offense. On defense Cal Poly has two transfers from Wisconsin, one from UCLA and three JC transfers who should all see a lot of playing time. They also return senior QB Andre Broadous who can turn a busted play into a 50 yard TD. Lastly Cal Poly does not play Montana, Montana State or Eastern Washington in Conference.

WeAreNorthDakota
August 26th, 2012, 11:21 PM

I don't want to put wordss in Darell's mouth but I think I get it. Poly is one of the few FCS teams that UND fans know really well first-hand and they've always given us one of our best games of the season. I think UND fans as a whole may overrate Poly a little because we have seen them be competitive with us and assume they will continue that competitiveness in the Big Sky. This is something that established Big Sky and FCS fans may not necessarily agree with.

I also think this may be a misunderstanding of the difference between Power Rankings and projected order of finish. Poly plays one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky thanks to the unbalanced schedule after expansion. With their schedule, Poly could be the 5th or 6th best team in the Big Sky and still finish 2nd or 3rd.

Darell, if that's not the case please jump in. If it is the case, I too would like to hear your reasoning.

frozennorth
August 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I also think this may be a misunderstanding of the difference between Power Rankings and projected order of finish. Poly plays one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky thanks to the unbalanced schedule after expansion. With their schedule, Poly could be the 5th or 6th best team in the Big Sky and still finish 2nd or 3rd.

this. i'm putting poly at second in conference standings, but i'd say they are only the fourth best team, give or take. I don't think the big sky has seen much option ball, which is also favorable to CP.

MTfan4life
August 27th, 2012, 12:26 AM
First, the number of starters is questionable. Not counted in returning starters is OT Giovani Sani that has 16 starts in the last three years, RB Williams 4 starts in 2011 and former Big Sky Newcomer of e Year, WR Willie Tucker who played more snaps than last years starters on offense. On defense Cal Poly has two transfers from Wisconsin, one from UCLA and three JC transfers who should all see a lot of playing time. They also return senior QB Andre Broadous who can turn a busted play into a 50 yard TD. Lastly Cal Poly does not play Montana, Montana State or Eastern Washington in Conference.

First, all teams have players that have started before that weren't included on their list of returning starters. Cal Poly lost almost 40% of their lettermen from last season, which was highest in the conference. They return just 5 all-conference performers, which is only higher than ISU and Sac St. They do bring in a solid amount of transfers, just like a handful of other Big Sky teams.

Second, yes their schedule is missing the three headed monster, but playing at Ogden, Flagstaff, and Grand Forks will be no cake walk by any means.

Third, I know Broadous is good. I just don't know if he has enough supporting cast to compete in a conference packed with teams that return a bunch. Montana State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Weber State, Idaho State, UC-Davis, Northern Colorado all return their starting quarterbacks just like Cal Poly, and Eastern Washington and UND bring in marquee transfers. I'm not trying to downplay Cal Poly; I'm just saying the Big Sky will be a lot deeper top to bottom than last season. It will take a little more than a comparatively easy schedule and a talented quarterback to be in the top 2 or 3 of the conference.

darell1976
August 27th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I don't want to put wordss in Darell's mouth but I think I get it. Poly is one of the few FCS teams that UND fans know really well first-hand and they've always given us one of our best games of the season. I think UND fans as a whole may overrate Poly a little because we have seen them be competitive with us and assume they will continue that competitiveness in the Big Sky. This is something that established Big Sky and FCS fans may not necessarily agree with.

Darell, if that's not the case please jump in. If it is the case, I too would like to hear your reasoning.

Yeah I kinda did a little of both. I think i misread it and my list is mostly a projected finish list. I do think Cal Poly is a very tough team and should be ranked in the top 4 of the conference. Sorry if I confused anyone. Its easier to rank teams after games than during preseason.

coover
August 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
We're coming!xnodx

slostang
August 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
First, all teams have players that have started before that weren't included on their list of returning starters. Cal Poly lost almost 40% of their lettermen from last season, which was highest in the conference. They return just 5 all-conference performers, which is only higher than ISU and Sac St. They do bring in a solid amount of transfers, just like a handful of other Big Sky teams.

Second, yes their schedule is missing the three headed monster, but playing at Ogden, Flagstaff, and Grand Forks will be no cake walk by any means.

Third, I know Broadous is good. I just don't know if he has enough supporting cast to compete in a conference packed with teams that return a bunch. Montana State, Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, Weber State, Idaho State, UC-Davis, Northern Colorado all return their starting quarterbacks just like Cal Poly, and Eastern Washington and UND bring in marquee transfers. I'm not trying to downplay Cal Poly; I'm just saying the Big Sky will be a lot deeper top to bottom than last season. It will take a little more than a comparatively easy schedule and a talented quarterback to be in the top 2 or 3 of the conference.

All good points. I really think that Cal Poly will have a good year. Walsh is starting his 4th year and he now has players he recruited for his style of offense and defense. One thing I will say about Walsh is he and his staff are tireless recruiters and I really believe the talent level at Cal Poly is better than it has ever been. A lot of these players are young, but I think by the season's end Cal Poly will be near the top of the conference standings and the Big Sky will know more of their names.

Walkon79
August 27th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I'm a couple days early with these, but with half the Big Sky teams starting play on Thursday, it seemed to be right. A lot of changes in the offseason has inflated the conference to 13 teams and not everyone will play each other. Also, the level of improvement is evident in all the teams which made a preseason ranking very difficult, so it should stimulate great discussion. Here are the rankings for the preseason. As usual, all are my opinions only so take it as it is.

1. Montana State Bobcats---Probably the team with the least amount of questions, the Bobcats return a lot from last season's run through the conference. About the only main question evolves from if they can win in the playoffs, which means getting there is pretty much a given. The season begins at home for the Bobcats against Chadron State, a team that surprised the Bobcats a few seasons back.

2. Eastern Washington Eagles---The Eagles have been pretty consistent through the recent years, but this time they must replace their quarterback. Mini-Quarterback U has dug once again into the transfer ranks, stealing one from SMU so they should not miss a beat. They start the season on the road against the WAC's Idaho team.

3. Cal Poly Mustangs---Hard to imagine a newcomer to the conference could have about as much experience at the coaching level as the Mustangs do, but Walsh has seen success in the Big Sky before, having coached at Portland State when they came into the conference. Combine that with an experienced quarterback and the Mustangs could find themselves near the top. An opening game at home against San Diego should iron out the wrinkles.

4. Montana Grizzlies---The offseason turmoil on campus has robbed the Grizzlies the coach of the year, as well as their AD and their starting quarterback. It remains to be seen how it all plays out, but the most dangerous animal on earth is a wounded grizzly bear and the Grizzlies are definitely wounded and dangerous. They will welcome South Dakota the opening weekend.

5. Northern Arizona Lumberjacks---The Jacks return the conference's top rusher from last season and hope to build around him. High expectations in the preseason usually do not translate into success during the season, but maybe this will be the year. They start on the road at Pac-12's Arizona State.

6. Southern Utah Thunderbirds---One of the things necessary to succeed in the Big Sky is a strong returning quarterback and the Thunderbirds are led by one of the nation's best. If they can get the defense to come around they could turn heads in their first season in the conference. They start on the road playing against the WAC's Utah State.

7. North Dakota Sioux---Last season, the Sioux were up and down, but found enough life to finish the year in the top 25 in most publications. Now with a good core group returning, they are poised to make some noise their first year in the conference. They will start the year at home against the DII's South Dakota Mines.

8. Portland State Vikings---A big improvement last year over the year before has some Vikings fans looking forward to this season. But replacing both Kavanaugh and McCaffrey and tweaking the pistol offense has saddled this year's team with questions right off the bat. They welcome NAIA powerhouse, Carroll College to Portland during the opening weekend.

9. Weber State Wildcats---The Wildcats knew after last season that they would have to replace their long time coach who was retiring, but they did not think they would have to reopen the search once their new coach left for Arkansas. Getting accustomed to each other as well as the new faces and the Wildcats could be rebuilding. They start the year at WAC's Fresno State.

10. Sacramento State Hornets---Great things were planned for the Hornets last year and they looked promising after a season opening win at Oregon State. However, the injury bug hit and they struggled to stay relevant throughout the season. Will they return back or were they just a flash in the pan. They go on the road and play the WAC's New Mexico State.

11. Idaho State Bengals---This is usually when Kramer's teams start to make noise in the conference and perhaps the Bengals can surprise. Hard to be worse than last year and that is something Kramer will not stand for. They start on the road against the Mountain West's Air Force squad.

12. UC-Davis Aggies---The Aggies should have a great defense this season. The bad thing in that in the Big Sky, defenses sometimes go by the wayside in matchups with the high fueled offenses in the conference. If they can find an offense, they could surprise. As it is, they start the season at home against the NAIA's Azusa Pacific.

13. Northern Colorado Bears---Don't be surprised, the Bears will be better this year. The question is that the conference will be much improved as well. The Bears have the talent to be competitive in every game and could surprise some teams. They start the year at Pac-12's Utah.

I would swap SUU and NAU. Other than that this is spot on for the 1st week.

MSUBobcat
August 27th, 2012, 06:02 PM

Pretty good analysis as usual JALMOND. I might switch SUU and NAU, as well as ISU and UC-Davis, but it's hard saying before any games are played.

JALMOND
August 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM

For me, I'm trying not to put as much emphasis on the schedule as I did in the past because of the unbalanced nature of the schedule. Cal Poly comes in with an experienced quarterback, something that is necessary in the conference, and also a coach who has had success in the Big Sky before. Granted they have as many questions surrounding them as pretty much anyone else in the conference, but based on that, I can start them at #3 without the favorable conference schedule and see how it plays out.