PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic 10 Conference in 2006?

JMU Duke Dog
July 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
2006 will mark the last season with the A10 name for the conference.

Who will win the title in 2006? (the maxiumum number of choices was 10 so unfortunately I could not enter all 12 teams separately)

What is the 2006 A10 game of the year?

JMU Duke Dog
July 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
I think the A10 game of the year will be James Madison at New Hampshire for the Wildcats' 2006 homecoming game on October 14. The game will be high scoring as both teams return a lot on offense but are questionable on defense heading into the 2006 season. Unfortunately as a Dukes fan, I think New Hampshire will win it on a game-winning field goal drive late in the fourth quarter. In my opinion, the winner of this game has the best chance of bringing home the conference crown in 2006.

OL FU
July 14th, 2006, 12:56 PM
So far its 100% UNH:smiley_wi

nlwwln
July 14th, 2006, 01:34 PM
i think you can make an arguement for richmond, they have probably the best defense in the new CAA and their offense is full of talented skill players. not quite sure how the O-line is and losing tutt is a very big loss but if one of the young QBs can come in and run that offense richmond could be pretty tough to beat. dont know how deep they are on the defensive side of the ball but their starters are as good as any in the CAA. UNH is the logical favorite with Ball and Santos but what else do they have, who do they got on D?

bluehenbillk
July 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM
The league is UNH's to win, with 3 of its toughest 4 conference games in Durham.

Fordham
July 14th, 2006, 01:40 PM
The impact of Cohen at Hofstra will be very interesting imo. I'm very curious as to what he produces there and if I were a betting man, I'd say that he's going to take what is some pretty good talent and have them improving over even what Gardi accomplished there but I don't know if it's realistic to expect dramatic changes in year one.

Clearly UNH is the favorite but it's dam* tough to be the team with the bullseye on your back.

And, just out of curiosity, what is Tutt doing now? Did he get picked up by someone or is he pursuing the CFL or alternative routes to the NFL? Or did he hang up the cleats?

JMU Duke Dog
July 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM
i think you can make an arguement for richmond, they have probably the best defense in the new CAA and their offense is full of talented skill players. not quite sure how the O-line is and losing tutt is a very big loss but if one of the young QBs can come in and run that offense richmond could be pretty tough to beat. dont know how deep they are on the defensive side of the ball but their starters are as good as any in the CAA. UNH is the logical favorite with Ball and Santos but what else do they have, who do they got on D?

Richmond returns all five in 2006 from its 2005 offensive line.

Tribe4SF
July 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM

I agree on Richmond. Their defense will be at least as good as last year, and if their young talent performs on offense, they should be in the thick of the race.

WMTribe90
July 14th, 2006, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing we'll see co-champs in the A10 once again. Nobody is going to run the conference table. Could be a bottleneck at the top.

dbackjon
July 14th, 2006, 02:56 PM
New Hampy

DTSpider
July 14th, 2006, 04:11 PM
And, just out of curiosity, what is Tutt doing now? Did he get picked up by someone or is he pursuing the CFL or alternative routes to the NFL? Or did he hang up the cleats?

Tutt is with the Jets. He has converted to a h-back. He's a link to the story.

http://www.richmondtimesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&%09s=1045855934926&c=MGArticle&cid=1149188989635&path=%21sports%21colleges

ngineer
July 14th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Talk about a 'prohibitive favorite'. Corraling 60% from a large field is impressive. Da' Bulls' Eye is da' Kitty-cat's Back!

Fordham
July 14th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Tutt is with the Jets. He has converted to a h-back. He's a link to the story.

http://www.richmondtimesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArti cle&%09s=1045855934926&c=MGArticle&cid=1149188989635&path=%21sports%21colleges He couldn't be in a more perfect spot except perhaps NE. Those staff's love guys who are simply athletic and can play multiple positions. Kind of surprised he's not going to be a TE as opposed to TB, though. Regardless, it seems Mangini is loading up on guys like this. Start out on special teams and then be prepared to play some O or D or whatever.

Good luck to him.

FlyYtown
July 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Delaware.. I like seeing Blue Hens in playoffs.

TheValleyRaider
July 14th, 2006, 10:31 PM
James Madison, even though I'm not fully sold on them just yet. As much as UNH looks good, I can't see the favorite winning this conference.

Umass74
July 15th, 2006, 08:18 AM
A couple of random facts about the A10 in 2006:

UNH lost 11 starters to graduation---the most in the A10
Delaware has SEVEN home games and Matt Dougherty rated their OOC as the softest in I-AA

Go...gate
July 15th, 2006, 02:24 PM
UNH to repeat.

CollegeObserver
July 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Delaware has SEVEN home games and Matt Dougherty rated their OOC as the softest in I-AA

Yeah, we had SEVEN last year, too. Of course one of them was in Richmond.

This conference is absolutely wide open this year. Who's going going to gel? Who's going to avoid injury? It's a crap-shoot, but I'll go with UNH in the north, and JMU in the south, despite the Duke's loss to the Omar Cuff led Hens in Harrisonburg.
I'm not high on my Hens' chances, due to a new QB, new defensive coordinator, other coaching turnover, off season issues, and a largely unseasoned receiving corps. Just too many questions. Taking the negative view, in hope of being totally off base.

Tribe4SF
July 17th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, we had SEVEN last year, too. Of course one of them was in Richmond.

This conference is absolutely wide open this year. Who's going going to gel? Who's going to avoid injury? It's a crap-shoot, but I'll go with UNH in the north, and JMU in the south, despite the Duke's loss to the Omar Cuff led Hens in Harrisonburg.
I'm not high on my Hens' chances, due to a new QB, new defensive coordinator, other coaching turnover, off season issues, and a largely unseasoned receiving corps. Just too many questions. Taking the negative view, in hope of being totally off base.

I think UNH and UMass will be at the top in the North, with Hofstra as the potential surprise. JMU likely in the South, but that's the real crapshoot. With any offense, Richmond will contend. Delaware and W&M have too many questions to say they can make a run, but either has the talent to surprise.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 17th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I think UNH and UMass will be at the top in the North, with Hofstra as the potential surprise. JMU likely in the South, but that's the real crapshoot. With any offense, Richmond will contend. Delaware and W&M have too many questions to say they can make a run, but either has the talent to surprise.

That sounds right to me. But in truth this thing is so wide open. That is why we consistently say that A-10 (CAA) is the best in the land. Preseason means nothing. Look what UR did last year after dropping a couple early on and inserting Tutt in as QB.

I am really excited to see how Towson and Villanova do as a fan of the league. These teams could be sleepers, not necessarily to win the title, but to contend even. Maybe somoe of you think I am drinking the kool-aid, but UD, JMU, UNH, and UMASS will be getting ready for some big games, and games vs. these two teams could surprise the league, like Towson vs. UD last year, and URI vs. W&M.

I don't know who it is, but there will be a surprise team within a game of the title this year!

89Hen
July 17th, 2006, 04:53 PM
However, that's a little redundant because all three of the OOC games are home games. I don't like the Hens chances yet. Should be UNH in the North and JMU in the South with the JMU-UNH game determining the auto.

GannonFan
July 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Just to clarify, he didn't say it's the softest in I-AA - he said it was the easiest OOC schedule relative to the strength of the team playing it (UD in this case) - that's saying the schedule is light versus the expected strength of UD this year. Slightly different that being the softest in IAA.

Tribe4SF
July 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
With Hofstra as an OOC, it's hard to see the Delaware schedule as soft.

SoCon48
July 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
With Hofstra as an OOC, it's hard to see the Delaware schedule as soft.
7 home games including Albany and West Chester doesn't exactly fit the "tough" category.
A good I-A on the road would dress it up a bit.

GannonFan
July 18th, 2006, 09:27 AM
No one is saying it's tough, but there are softer games out there than the 3 on the schedule. Don't worry about the I-A's, they come back next year with Navy and then Maryland after them. In the meantime, 7 home games works for me - plenty of good tailgating opportunities. ;)

Tribe4SF
July 18th, 2006, 12:45 PM
7 home games including Albany and West Chester doesn't exactly fit the "tough" category.
A good I-A on the road would dress it up a bit.

Certainly not tough, but beyond you guys, JMU has Bloomsburg and VMI at home. Now that's soft.

GannonFan
July 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Certainly not tough, but beyond you guys, JMU has Bloomsburg and VMI at home. Now that's soft.

Now now, Tribe, stop with the JMU-baiting. Their schedule isn't any worse than UD's - Bloomsburg and West Chester are pretty even, and I would argue that Albany and VMI are terribly far apart. JMU then is at Appy St while UD is at home against Hofstra - JMU has it tougher there. Like I said, UD's isn't the softest schedule, but it's clearly not hard. JMU's is a little harder than ours though.

89Hen
July 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
In the meantime, 7 home games works for me - plenty of good tailgating opportunities. ;)
:nod: :nod:

7 home games 1:40 from my house
@ Richmond 2:00 from my house
@ Madison 2:30 from my house

Only Northeastern and URI are far and you couldn't pay me to go to either of those venues.

bluehenbillk
July 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Wholeheartedly agree on your Parsons Field sentiments.

GannonFan
July 18th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Amen on the Parsons - I just can't do it, sorry. Although, I've never seen Meade Stadium and could possibly still go to that one this year - will have to see if there's other interest in going.

89Hen
July 18th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I haven't been to Meade since the 80's, but it was a dump then, now it's half a dump thanks to their new arena. I don't know if the away side will be done for this year, but if it is, it may be worth a look. I do love going to Newport while in RI.

bostonspider
July 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Meade Stadium looks like it could be a lot nicer this fall. The new stands in front of the Ryan Center seem to be coming along nicely and will really help define that stadium better.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/uri/sports/m-footbl/auto_wide/168354.jpeg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/uri/galleries/meade-071706/DSCF3000-lg.jpg

Combined with the existing grand stand, it seems to be a nice little stadium. At least as long as it doesn't rain too hard. xlolx

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/uri/graphics/meade-stadium450.jpg