PDA

View Full Version : One last Mayor's Cup!

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2012, 06:09 PM
I fully expect a competitive game next week! Part of me wishes the series would continue but I understand that it is time to move on.

Overall, the game has helped raise interest in college football in Philly which was its intended purpose.The first two games were absolute classics.

Everybody, including the mayor, is expecting a much more competitive game this time.

"For the new freshmen who go to Temple and Villanova and those who grew up unaccustomed to Philadelphia sports, this is going to be their first exposure to Philadelphia football," Nutter said. "There's really nothing like sports in Philadelphia when you're the leader of the fifth-largest city in America, but also the sports capital of the United States of America, you know that you are going to have some great fun."

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/20120824_One_final_Mayor_s_Cup_matchup.html#ixzz24 VYinjjs
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else

Grizalltheway
August 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Uh, so what exactly makes Philly the sports capital of the country?

Pard4Life
August 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM

If you've been there, you know.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I am a NYer but in this context they are right.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I am a NYer but in this context they are right.

MplsBison
August 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM
I fully expect a competitive game next week! Part of me wishes the series would continue but I understand that it is time to move on.

Overall, the game has helped raise interest in college football in Philly which was its intended purpose.The first two games were absolute classics.

Why is it time to move on? Because Temple is moving up in the world of college football?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Why is it time to move on? Because Temple is moving up in the world of college football?

Playing the same FCS opponent, rival or not, year after year, really doesn't benefit Temple imo.

MplsBison
August 24th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Not saying you're wrong - but why? Seems like a great rivalry.

Or perhaps you could rotate with Penn, Delaware, etc.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM

I don't think it makes sense for a FBS team to have a FCS squad as a yearly rival. Even if we win 9 out of 10 years, we'll always hear about the 1.

I'd love to see us use a rotation of regional FCS schools. Delaware, Lehigh, Towson, Lafayette , 'Nova and JMU would be excellent choices going forward imo. A TU-UD match-up needs to be made a reality imo.

bonarae
August 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Not possible at this point, since the Ivies still play 10 games. It's still wishful thinking at this point if Temple-Penn is scheduled at all (in football, that is).

BlueHenSinfonian
August 24th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Every Philly major league team has been highly competitive. The Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, Phillies and Soul have all been championship contenders in recent history, and all have great fan support.

Delaware would bring 15-20K to the Linc for a game against Temple easily. Supposedly the idea of a game or series vs Delaware was discussed in the recent past, but the sticking point was Delaware insisting on a home and home and Temple being unwilling to travel to a FCS team. The Delaware-Temple rivalry was bloody, and for the old timer fans, it still pulls the strings as the biggest in school history. Delaware leads the series all-time 22-14, and won the last two games in the series. The concept of traveling to a game at Temple without a return guarantee brings up a bit of an ego crisis within the Delaware athletics department.

For more on the rivalry check this out: http://books.google.com/books?id=EV557kOFNlcC&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=delaware+temple+rivalry&source=bl&ots=XujIjCoVew&sig=1WPkQmGbYUDZxadguGHbEhtRhkg&hl=en#v=onepage&q=delaware%20temple%20rivalry&f=false

Mr. C
August 24th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I don't think it makes sense for a FBS team to have a FCS squad as a yearly rival. Even if we win 9 out of 10 years, we'll always hear about the 1.

I'd love to see use a rotation of regional FCS schools. Delaware, Lehigh, Towson, Lafayette , 'Nova and JMU would be excellent choices going forward imo. A TU-UD match-up needs to be made a reality imo.

You haven't won 9 out of 10 years. The Owls have been lucky to win at all until last year's blowout. Villanova has led this series in the past decade.

Mr. C
August 24th, 2012, 09:24 PM
What is Mayor Nutter, the original Attention Whore, going to do without this game?

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
You haven't won 9 out of 10 years. The Owls have been lucky to win at all until last year's blowout. Villanova has led this series in the past decade.

We haven't, and until our program takes the next step, legit top 40, it would be hard to see us ever beating 'nova 90% of the time.

We should have won in '09 and lost and should have lost in '10 and won.

I was at both. 2009 was a long drive home to Scranton.

I'm nervous about next week. We're starting a ton of new players against a pretty experienced 'nova team. This will likely be Talley's last shot against us.

We need FCS teams that will bring fans. Delaware absolutely would! So would Lehigh and JMU to a lesser extent. Playing Fordham next year makes very little sense given our need to average 30k.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Blue hen,

UD is insane if they believe Temple is coming to the tub without expanded seating and some sort of 50/50 ticket distribution.

If the soccer stadium was a little bigger I could us being open that.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Blue hen,

UD is insane if they believe Temple is coming to the tub without expanded seating and some sort of 50/50 ticket distribution.

If the soccer stadium was a little bigger I could us being open that.

I don't believe Temple would come to Delaware Stadium either, when was the last time any FBS team travelled to any FCS team? It's an ego thing - the older powers that be at Delaware who still remember the Temple rivalry well want to show Temple up by forcing them to travel to Newark. Hopefully with more new blood coming in to the AD's office a game can finally be arranged, even if it is a one shot deal in Philly. I think it would bring a lot of Hen fans out that maybe haven't even come to home games in Newark in a while, and could be good for UD regular season attendance. From a competitiveness standpoint Temple isn't any tougher than Navy, and the Hens have done all right there over recent history, so I don't see any downside to setting the game up.

I know Keeler has said he doesn't want FBS games in 11 game seasons, and we're booked up for the near future for those, but I think an exception could be made for Temple, especially with the playoffs expanding and the end of the Westchester series meaning we'll have an easier time making the playoffs consistently even if there is a FBS game on the schedule.

clenz
August 25th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Ball state is traveling to illinois state next year I believe, and at least 3 mac teams have talked with UNI about a home and home series

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

MplsBison
August 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Every Philly major league team has been highly competitive. The Eagles, Sixers, Flyers, Phillies and Soul have all been championship contenders in recent history, and all have great fan support.

Delaware would bring 15-20K to the Linc for a game against Temple easily. Supposedly the idea of a game or series vs Delaware was discussed in the recent past, but the sticking point was Delaware insisting on a home and home and Temple being unwilling to travel to a FCS team. The Delaware-Temple rivalry was bloody, and for the old timer fans, it still pulls the strings as the biggest in school history. Delaware leads the series all-time 22-14, and won the last two games in the series. The concept of traveling to a game at Temple without a return guarantee brings up a bit of an ego crisis within the Delaware athletics department.

For more on the rivalry check this out: http://books.google.com/books?id=EV557kOFNlcC&pg=PA151&lpg=PA151&dq=delaware+temple+rivalry&source=bl&ots=XujIjCoVew&sig=1WPkQmGbYUDZxadguGHbEhtRhkg&hl=en#v=onepage&q=delaware%20temple%20rivalry&f=false

Interesting, thanks!

Oh and it seems like Boston might be able to compete with that: Pats, Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 26th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Interesting, thanks!

Oh and it seems like Boston might be able to compete with that: Pats, Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox.

Boston could make a claim. However, if the tiebreaker came down to concession stand bragging rights, cheese steaks and philly roast pork sandwiches > baked beans, and Yeungling > Sam Adams.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
I haven't had a drink in 29 years, but sensory memory is strong enough to not think that Yeungling is not the strongest part of the Boston vs Philly argument.

HailSzczur
August 26th, 2012, 10:55 PM
I'm real excited for the game, after a rough season its been a real long offseason. There's a lot to get excited for and to look forward to this year, the team could have some decent potential. I don't think we have a shot at winning, and my judge of the game will be the score at halftime. If we are within 1 TD I will be happy.

As far as the game and attendance goes, I'm not sure what the Nova side is going to be like. The alumni tend to show up reasonably well for this game, its the biggest name team we play all year, its local, and its a world class venue. The only thing that sucks is that its the Friday night of Labor Day weekend, not exactly a good time to be getting into the city.... As far as students go, they haven't told us anything yet about getting tickets......

HailSzczur
August 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Boston could make a claim. However, if the tiebreaker came down to concession stand bragging rights, cheese steaks and philly roast pork sandwiches > baked beans, and Yeungling > Sam Adams.

Not sure if I would agree with the beer equation here.......

But you did leave out clam chowda from the food equation. It still does't top cheesesteaks and pork w/ prov and broccoli rabe, but there's nothing like a eating chowda in your seat at Fenway on a cold night.

bluehenbillk
August 27th, 2012, 08:09 AM
With Temple in the Big East now, them playing a game at UD is a moot point - Big East rules forbid it.

timmcd_123
August 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Looking forward to attending my first game for TSN