PDA

View Full Version : UCA Looks to Continue Rivalry With Div II Henderson St

TexasTerror
July 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
We've talked about lost rivalries some on these boards. This goes to show you that despite a team moving from Div II to I-AA, that they are interested in keeping the rivalry.

I know we have some less publicized I-AA vs Div II rivalries that continue, that might not be on the brain (think Tuskegee and wins over I-AAs), but there are some out there...

UCA, HSU officials talk up Capital City Classic

By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer

LITTLE ROCK _Ê While University of Central Arkansas and Henderson State officials talked about the ramifications of going separate directions Wednesday, both celebrated aÊkey link to the past.

The Bears, now official members of the Southland Conference and NCAA Division I-AA, and the Reddies, who will continue participation in the Gulf South Conference and Division II, will renewÊone of the state's oldest footbalÊrivalriesÊon different terms, Thursday, Aug. 31, in the Capital City Classic at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. The game, the first college football contest to be played in the state, will benefit the Arkansas Children's Hospital Foundation.

The first Capital City Classic to benefit ACH, between UCA and Eastern New Mexico State, raised $11,000 for the foundation last year, according to Foundation President John Bel.

"As football fans, I think we'll have a good game, an exciting event that will also bring a focus and exposure to the work of Arkansas Children's Hospital," Bel said Wednesday before aÊVIP luncheon among officials of the two schools and the charity. "As we try to bring healing to children, we are offering hope for the future by watching young, healthy athletes play. To see them perform on the football field gives our children hope for better lives."

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/071306/spo_0713060034.shtml

July 13th, 2006, 08:31 PM
...UCA, HSU officials talk up Capital City Classic
By DAVID MCCOLLUM
Log Cabin Staff Writer
... The Bears, now official members of the Southland Conference and NCAA Division I-AA...Does this guy know what's up? UCA is not in the SLC this year for football and not officially I-AA for a few more years. PROVISIONAL, MCCOLLUM, PROVISIONAL.

UCA will be included in the GPI and poll voting since they are provisional however...

Ronbo
July 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Henderson State might reconsider the rivalry in a few years when 63 scholarship Central Arkansas is thumping them year in and year out.

My smiles links are dead. Ralph?

blukeys
July 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Henderson State might reconsider the rivalry in a few years when 63 scholarship Central Arkansas is thumping them year in and year out.

I know your view makes sense but it could really come down to $$$$$$$$. West Chester State would play UD for the next 200 years if they could since it is their biggest payday. I look for UD to get out of the relationship when this current contract is over. :nod: :nod:

ucdtim17
July 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM

63 schollies does not guarantee thumpings. UCD played 3-4 I-AA's a season our last decade+ in D2 and probably won at least as many as we lost

golionsgo
July 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM

Considering how UCA thumps them on a regular basis already, I don't see where the 63 limit will make that much difference to Henderson State.

UCABEARS75
July 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
LOL, this has been true for the last couple of decades or so anyway. We beat them 50-7 or so last year.

I doubt this "rivalry" will continue past this year. As a transitional/provisional school who will not play a full SLC schedule until 2007 we had to scramble to fill a schedule. Our schedule will be pretty tough, by the way, with trips to UC-Davis, South Dakota St., Ill. St., Ga. Southern, Sam Houston, and Stephen F. Austin along with a home game against Missouri St. Therefore to have some games (counting the one in Little Rock against Henderson) we did schedule 4 games against D-II opponents.

In the future I doubt we play many, if any, D-II opponents on any type of regular basis.

Ronbo
July 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
63 schollies does not guarantee thumpings. UCD played 3-4 I-AA's a season our last decade+ in D2 and probably won at least as many as we lost

Oh come on Sac State was half of them. Poor example.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley_wink.gif

RabidRabbit
July 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM

:D Careful Tim! You'll feeding into the Sioux line that there's not much difference between II ball & I-AA footballxlolx

UCD was a top-notch II team, and I'm happy that the Bunnies/Aggies are in a league together.

UCA- Great line up for the toughest year, and we look forward to demonstrating that there is a big difference :thumbsup: Look forward to the Beef Bowl vs. UCA. :thumbsup:

ucdtim17
July 14th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Oh come on Sac State was half of them. Poor example.http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley_wink.gif

True. And St. Mary's, who never had 63 schollies, and CP, who I think only semi-recently got fully funded