PDA

View Full Version : Gateway Conf. in 2006?

FlyYtown
July 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Last year, UNI-SIU-YSU Shared the title honors, this year Illinois St. may play a role in it and maybe a surprise may pop up.

Who do you think will win the Gateway and will that team play for a national championship..

Your Game of the Year in this conference?

RabidRabbit
July 13th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Fly - Good choice - Check out the Great West Prediction thread, and perhaps establish the Gateway thread similiar. That way us non-Gateway don't have to figure out the match-up's :thumbsup:

I know, lazy Rabbit xlolx

With that said,
UNI 8-3 5-2
YSU 7-4 5-2
IlSU 7-4 5-2
WKU 6-5 4-3
SIU 6-5 4-3
WIU 5-6 3-4
MSU 5-6 3-4
InSU 2-9 1-6

Have at it guys!:hurray:

Mountain Panther
July 13th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Gateway Game of the Year:

Illinois State @ UNI 11/18

We'll be coming off a YSU-WIU-WKU-SIU stretch leading up to that point.

TheValleyRaider
July 13th, 2006, 08:02 PM
UNI for now.

It's also July, and I don't feel I have a reason to trust Y'town or the Redbirds just yet...

BearsCountry
July 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM
If Sanders is healthy, UNI wins. If not Illinois State.

Mountain Panther
July 13th, 2006, 09:32 PM

A turned ankle last year and now everyone thinks he's "injury prone." Geeeeeez :bang: :confused: : smh :

Cap'n Cat
July 13th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Watch out for Missouri State. Youngstown goes 3-8.

UNI wins title outright by one game.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Chi Panther
July 13th, 2006, 09:55 PM
at 20 votes and still no takers on WKU or SIU.......WOW!!!!!:rotateh: :eek: :rotateh:

MSUBear42
July 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Definately UNI with Whitney Lewis or whoever that was from USC coming in.

PS MSU will do a whole lot better than 2nd to last.

FlyYtown
July 13th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Definately UNI with Whitney Lewis or whoever that was from USC coming in.

PS MSU will do a whole lot better than 2nd to last.

I gotta go out on a limb and say that USC guy won't play this year, its kind of late for him to transfer and play??? Or am I wrong????

Anyways of course I say YSU. We got 25 starters, some 1 some all 11, coming back. Our offense is loaded. At the helm is 3 year starting Junior Tom Zetts, our running backs are Marcus Mason and Mo---Quante Gibson, each I-A Transfer. We got arguably one of the best Tight Ends in ALL OF NCAA Football in Louis Irrizarry. Our biggest loss is now an nfl player by the name of Kyle Smith, I think he is heading to the NFL, signed a free agent contract...

Our defense took major steps last year for the good and they got better with backup qb heading to the defense, his name is Vince Gliatta, he will help back there. Jason Perry is a threat as is All-American Codera Jackson.

Biggest Game of the Year: Northern Iowa @ Youngstown State.
no comment on capncat, his comments speak for himself.
YSU- 9-2 YEAR.
Losses to PSU.... and either Il.St-UNI-SIU.

Killtoppers90
July 14th, 2006, 10:52 AM
That was my thinking too Bear!

Killtoppers90
July 14th, 2006, 10:54 AM
at 20 votes and still no takers on WKU or SIU.......WOW!!!!!:rotateh: :eek: :rotateh:
As much as I wanted to put in for my boys, I don't think we will be there at the end this year. Unless all of our seniors come in with a huge f'ng chip on their shoulder and our defense plays better pass coverage, we will be middle of the pack again this season. I put in for Ill State for winning in an upset!

JMU Duke Dog
July 14th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I am a Gateway outsider, but I went ahead and voted for Northern Iowa to win the Gateway title in 2006.

GoGuins
July 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Watch out for Missouri State. Youngstown goes 3-8.

UNI wins title outright by one game.

I'll say YSU goes 2-9 with wins over Slippery Rock and UNI :smiley_wi

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I'll say YSU goes 2-9 with wins over Slippery Rock and UNI :smiley_wi

Ouch!!:D

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM
3 votes for Indiana State and 0 votes for Southern Illinois??????????????

Methinks there is some serious crack smoking going on out there!!:cool: :D :nod:

douglasdmb
July 14th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Wow...how is it that Indiana St. has 3 votes and SIU has none?

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 03:28 PM
I put in for Ill State for winning in an upset!

I'm not so sure that would be much of an upset, Killtoppers. Ill State destroyed UNI last year, beat SIU, and gave the Iowa State Cyclowns all they wanted.

Of course, they will have to play UNI in the fabulous UNI-Dome!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GaSouthern
July 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM
YSU, welcome back to the playoffs in 2006 (just my prediction)

Killtoppers90
July 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I'm not so sure that would be much of an upset, Killtoppers. Ill State destroyed UNI last year, beat SIU, and gave the Iowa State Cyclowns all they wanted.

Of course, they will have to play UNI in the fabulous UNI-Dome!!:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Exactly! If Il State can win in the Dome - that would be an upset.

SO ILLmatic
July 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Voted for UNI, it will be a tough conference race though...alot of good ballgames to be played between now and the start of the playoffs

and im gonna go out on a limb and say we will finish above Indiana St., even though they have more votes in this poll

FlyYtown
July 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
YSU, welcome back to the playoffs in 2006 (just my prediction)

Your one of many who say that statement. I think not only is this team loaded this year, but we got a great future, but we need to get more of our local players..

Northeast Ohio High School Football is as good as it gets in the nation: St. Ignatius-St. Ed's-Mooney-Ursuline-Akron St. V's..... and those are just the Catholic Schools!

Mountain Panther
July 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Your one of many who say that statement. I think not only is this team loaded this year, but we got a great future, but we need to get more of our local players..

Northeast Ohio High School Football is as good as it gets in the nation: St. Ignatius-St. Ed's-Mooney-Ursuline-Akron St. V's..... and those are just the Catholic Schools!

I dunno what it is about HS football in Eastern Ohio-Western Penn but they really git-er-done.

Could throw West Texas in there too.

D1B
July 14th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Agree. But only this guy is left once the Big Ten, Notre Dame, CUSA, and Pittsburgh gets their pick...

http://www.adam.belsky.com/rerun/rerunphoto.jpg

Fred Berry, YSU's top recruit in 06. Projected to contribute immediately on special teams, could see some action at free safety. Source: Vibe Magazine

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Exactly! If Il State can win in the Dome - that would be an upset.

Good point!!

igo4uni
July 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Agree. But only this guy is left once the Big Ten, Notre Dame, CUSA, and Pittsburgh gets their pick...

http://www.adam.belsky.com/rerun/rerunphoto.jpg

Fred Berry, YSU's top recruit in 06. Projected to contribute immediately on special teams, could see some action at free safety. Source: Vibe Magazine

Don't forget about the poweful MAC!!:cool:

D1B
July 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Don't forget about the poweful MAC!!:cool:

Yep, good one. I guess we could add Western Ky, Eastern Illinois, Kentucky.

Maybe this guy would be left for the Pens...
http://tvphotogalleries.com/data/597/1emmanuel8299.jpg

therealbigredrules
July 14th, 2006, 10:51 PM
As much as I wanted to put in for my boys, I don't think we will be there at the end this year. Unless all of our seniors come in with a huge f'ng chip on their shoulder and our defense plays better pass coverage, we will be middle of the pack again this season. I put in for Ill State for winning in an upset!

I hate to say it, but after last years performance by our pass defense, this is the picture being used by either our starning Cornerback or Safety in the 07 media guide. :pumpuke:

http://www.dumbphotos.com/images/People/127-passport.jpg

I hope I am wrong - but it is not going to be Western this year.

crunifan
July 15th, 2006, 01:02 AM
UNI obviously has the talent and guidance to get them to the play-offs and win the Gateway, but I think Youngstown and Illinois State could give us a run. Plus, Western Kentucky and SIU are always a threat. Missouri State with Mr. Allen could be a wildcard as well.

Killtoppers90
July 15th, 2006, 10:26 AM
I still think that everyone is overlooking The Redbirds of Ill. State! They are gonna make some nosie this season.

ISUMatt
July 15th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I still think that everyone is overlooking The Redbirds of Ill. State! They are gonna make some nosie this season.

Expectations are HIGH, but the knock on Coach Johnson is he cant win the big game, see the WKU of WIU game last season...ILS is LOADED on O and returns Siskowic on a FAST defense...Weakness...KICKING, could kill us

Go...gate
July 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
UNI.

FlyYtown
July 15th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Expectations are HIGH, but the knock on Coach Johnson is he cant win the big game, see the WKU of WIU game last season...ILS is LOADED on O and returns Siskowic on a FAST defense...Weakness...KICKING, could kill us

You also forgot the YSU Game. You had a 3 point lead with less than 5 minutes left, and we hit 2 key field goals to win.... that was by far the best game of the year for YSU.. We had 17,000 at the game and they screamed as loud as you could hear in the last minute of that game.. damn refs!

IL. STATE Should've beat YSU.

GoGuins
July 15th, 2006, 02:45 PM

Ditto here, except it's Heacock who hasn't won a big game

blur2005
July 15th, 2006, 02:46 PM
I think the Gateway comes down to the Illinois State-UNI game at the dome on November 18th. Since it's at the dome, I'm going with the Panthers.

shakdaddy3
July 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM

our kicking was pretty awful last year, but i think you'll be very surprised how good kelsey will be this year... VERY

i gotta take my redbirds though... the only team that can stop us is ourselves... which has happened all too often the last few years.

Chi Panther
July 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I think one thing to consider regarding UNI and Ill State is that last year UNI limped into Normal after losing the week before at MSU when Sanders went down......the week before Ill State got done spanking SIU. Ill State had all the confidence in the world....and UNI was trying to find a new leader.

Circumstances will be MUCH different going into the game this year.

:nod: :rotateh: :hurray: :rotateh: :nod:

douglasdmb
July 15th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I've picked UNI to win the conference, but Illinois St. is not far behind AT ALL. The Redbirds were definitely the best team in I-AA last year that didn't make the playoffs...and they could've done some damage in the playoffs.

They've got a a solid defense again (where do they get these LBs???:eek: ), and they're offense will be even better, with Laurent Robinson and their stud running back (name?) who absolutely tore MO State's defense last year for 200+ yards, 5 TDs, etc.

The Gateway is STACKED

ISUMatt
July 15th, 2006, 10:20 PM
I think one thing to consider regarding UNI and Ill State is that last year UNI limped into Normal after losing the week before at MSU when Sanders went down......the week before Ill State got done spanking SIU. Ill State had all the confidence in the world....and UNI was trying to find a new leader.

Circumstances will be MUCH different going into the game this year.

:nod: :rotateh: :hurray: :rotateh: :nod:

I know how good Sanders is..BUT even if he was healthy last year, ILS still would have beaten UNI

ISUMatt
July 15th, 2006, 10:22 PM
You also forgot the YSU Game. You had a 3 point lead with less than 5 minutes left, and we hit 2 key field goals to win.... that was by far the best game of the year for YSU.. We had 17,000 at the game and they screamed as loud as you could hear in the last minute of that game.. damn refs!

IL. STATE Should've beat YSU.

I guess I wont give YSU's D any credit and Ill just say Drone was young and blew it...Nah Ill go with our playcalling was bad, how about that

FlyYtown
July 15th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Pretty cool to see my thread get so much attention. I figured that noone would comment on it.

Regardless, after 83 votes.
1) UNI
2) YSU
3) IL. STATE

All 3 would be in my top 3 if I had to pick and if all three are 8-3 or better, all 3 belong in the playoffs, the last thing we need again is a 2005 repeat.

shakdaddy3
July 15th, 2006, 11:17 PM
I guess I wont give YSU's D any credit and Ill just say Drone was young and blew it...Nah Ill go with our playcalling was bad, how about that

The first INT late in the 4th was bad luck due to a heck of a play. An LB biting on a play action fake got his hand up right in time and tipped the ball straight up in the air to himself for the pick. If the ball gets threw, you'd see L-Train with a first down catch, but that's football right? Second one was bad play calling... tied game 17-17 and we were deep in our territory with only a few minutes left. Great play by the LBer to hold on to the pick. Another great stop by the D to hold YSU to an FG with 1:30 or so left. We drive down getting a first down on about the 20-30 yardline, BUT NO.. HOLDING, I think the sole one.. coulda have been a few more but horrible timing on the penalty.... a few bad plays and then Drone forces a ball on 3rd and long ANOTHER INT... game.

That one hurt... can you tell? Like I said, we beat ourselves... don't even get me started on WKU :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

skinny_uncle
July 16th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Wow...how is it that Indiana St. has 3 votes and SIU has none?
The Dawg fans just hadn't showed up yet. As of this writing, the Salukis have taken a 4-3 lead over the Trees. After the 3-way tie last year, maybe we should have been allowed to vote for more than one team. Another co-champ kind of year would not surprise me.

Chi Panther
July 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
I know how good Sanders is..BUT even if he was healthy last year, ILS still would have beaten UNI

I'm not just implying that having Sanders healthy UNI would have over came 30+ points. UNI was NOT going to win on that day in Normal period.
My point is there was other variables involved. This year circumstances will be different. That was UNI's worst Gateway loss since 1983 vs. SIU (Nat. Champs).

I suggest making the trip to CF in Novmember.

Killtoppers90
July 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Like I said, we beat ourselves... don't even get me started on WKU :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
What? It was a decent game that we won in OT. We damn near GAVE you that game with 2 turnovers in the 4th.

ISUMatt
July 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I'm not just implying that having Sanders healthy UNI would have over came 30+ points. UNI was NOT going to win on that day in Normal period.
My point is there was other variables involved. This year circumstances will be different. That was UNI's worst Gateway loss since 1983 vs. SIU (Nat. Champs).

I suggest making the trip to CF in Novmember.

Ill be there

skinny_uncle
July 16th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Nice to see that everyone is writing off my Dawgs as a contender. This year we can be underDawgs and sneak up on you.
http://www.freewebby.com/shocked-smilies/eyerub.gif

shakdaddy3
July 16th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Nice to see that everyone is writing off my Dawgs as a contender. This year we can be underDawgs and sneak up on you.

IMO, never rule out a team coached by Coach Kill.. he's definetly a good one and his teams tend to be good products at least.

Mountain Panther
July 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM
IMO, never rule out a team coached by Coach Kill.. he's definetly a good one and his teams tend to be good products at least.

And Arkee Whitlock is a I-AA.org 1st Team Pre-Season All-American.

Killtoppers90
July 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM
http://www.freewebby.com/shocked-smilies/eyerub.gif
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! No one is picking my Dawgs! Come on! You guys are not going to sneak up on ANYONE! It just appears that there is lots of parity in the Gateway.

PantherRob82
July 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like Illinois State sort of snuck up on people last year. I don't see them being much of a suprise thise year and don't think they'll finish top 3. guess we'll know in November.

birdsflyhigh
July 17th, 2006, 12:59 PM
PantherRob82, don't see how the Birds could have "snuck up" on anyone because (during the year) their record indicated they were a quality team. After the bashing the Birds gave SIU the week before, you would have thought the Panthers would have NOT been snuck up on. :confused: Hmmm??

Anyway, if you think the Birds will NOT be in the top 3 Gateway, so be it, but that's ludricrous thinking IMO. Pretty pumped for the season to begin and think the Gateway will once again field some of the nations premier teams. :hurray:

Cap'n Cat
July 17th, 2006, 04:02 PM
PantherRob82, don't see how the Birds could have "snuck up" on anyone because (during the year) their record indicated they were a quality team. After the bashing the Birds gave SIU the week before, you would have thought the Panthers would have NOT been snuck up on. :confused: Hmmm??

Anyway, if you think the Birds will NOT be in the top 3 Gateway, so be it, but that's ludricrous thinking IMO. Pretty pumped for the season to begin and think the Gateway will once again field some of the nations premier teams. :hurray:

I think he meant "snuck up" in that no one was expecting them to be any good. Kinda like Youngstown this coming season.

:D :D :D :D :D :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

PantherRob82
July 18th, 2006, 09:38 AM
yeah, i didn't mean they snuck up on us. i meant they were a dark horse as far as winning the gateway. I stand by my top 3 without Illinois St.

Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Youngstown St

birdsflyhigh
July 18th, 2006, 12:52 PM
PantherRob82, not sure what you're thinking when not putting the Birds in the top 3. Illinois State has 18 starters returning including 2 first team All-Americans. The Birds dismantled both UNI and SIU (by over 30 points each) last year. They lead for all but the final minute AT YSU's Ice Palace.

The Birds now get to play both SIU and YSU at home, while traveling to UNI. I'll give you that fact that the Birds may be up against it at the UNI Dome, but I'd have to think they are looking real good for the top 3. Hell, SIU lost a huge portion of their team, and this time they'll be playing on ISU's turf. Hmmm? Just some food for thought for you. One thing's for sure, barring key injuries, the game/battle between the Panthers and the Birds should be WILD!

Wish the Panthers and all Gateway teams good luck out of conference and also in the postseason. Let's see the Gateway regain the IAA spotlight!

:) :thumbsup: :hurray:

douglasdmb
July 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I have to agree with birdsflyhigh on this one. UNI is my pick to win conference this year, but they could just as easily finish as low as third. YSU and Ill State are VERY good as well.

As it stands right now, I think it's a toss-up between SIU, WKU, MO State, and WIU for places 4-7. SIU has just lost too much from last year to keep up with those stellar 3 I mentioned before.

Cap'n Cat
July 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Pretty cool to see my thread get so much attention. I figured that noone would comment on it.

Regardless, after 83 votes.
1) UNI
2) YSU
3) IL. STATE

All 3 would be in my top 3 if I had to pick and if all three are 8-3 or better, all 3 belong in the playoffs, the last thing we need again is a 2005 repeat.

BTW, FlyBoy, WTF is with that avatar? Kinda stretching things a bit, ain't ya?

Most Pen fans would be embarrassed to show that. Third place.

: smh : : smh : : smh :

igo4uni
July 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Northern Iowa
Southern Illinois
Youngstown St

Looks good, but I think Ill. State will beat out YSU for 3rd.

Redbird Fan 21
July 18th, 2006, 11:08 PM
This season is going to be amazing. I cannot wait for it to start in K-State.. hoping I can go but not sure yet...

We are looking for a huge upset in Manhatten, KS.

I have a feeling there is going to be alot of talk on this board come season time due to the fact that no one really knows what is going to happen this year..

UNI- seems to be the favorite on paper...
ILSU- can they live up to expectations...
YSU- can they continue to dominate at home and get enough road wins to do it?
SIU- can they rebound from a boatload of graduates?
MSU- can they suprise some people like i and many others think they can.

My pick will be..

1. ILSU
2. UNI
3. YSU

I am looking forward to being in the UNI dome for what will be an amazing game. I hope ISU can pull off the upset, but if not, hopefully they can win the rest and hope UNI gets upset somewhere along the line...

Good luck to all teams on the season and lets hope everyone can stay healthy!

FlyYtown
July 18th, 2006, 11:25 PM
BTW, FlyBoy, WTF is with that avatar? Kinda stretching things a bit, ain't ya?

Most Pen fans would be embarrassed to show that. Third place.

: smh : : smh : : smh :

Its the mark of a champion, not the mark of 3rd place!
http://ysusports.com/football/images/gateway_champs.gif
Ready to Rock N' Roll in 2006.. Go Penguins!

PantherRob82
July 18th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Isn't the point of a poll to gather differing opinions? xidiotx

Rather than keep blabbing about it now, how about we come back at the end of the season and see who was right. If Il St finishes top 3 I will gladly admit I was off.

birdsflyhigh
July 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM
PantherRob82, sounds good. Will be looking forward to your admission. :D

PantherRob82
July 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Come up to the dome and if it is needed I will give it in person. :D

Cap'n Cat
July 19th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Its the mark of a champion, not the mark of 3rd place!
http://ysusports.com/football/images/gateway_champs.gif
Ready to Rock N' Roll in 2006.. Go Penguins!

Hang on, I spit coffee on my monitor!!

:p :p :p :p :p :D :D :D :D :D

Seriously, Cap'n Cat is very proud of all teams in the conference and wishes them all the best.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Paladin1aa
July 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Pre-season outlook--

Co-Champs would not surprise me this year. Several very strong teams. I expect YSU to win it ,but could share with UNI or ILS. WKU & SIU fight it out for 4th. INS in the basement as usual.

YSU, UNI & ILS have the best athletes in the conference-- no question. YSU-- the best D. UNI --the best O. And ILS-- has the best receivers.

Three GFC teams to the play-offs.

birdsflyhigh
July 19th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Rob, you're alright! Hopefully, if things work out schedule wise, I can make it up to the Dome to see the Birds take on the Panthers. Definitely NOT direspecting the UNI program at all...far from it. Think you guys can make a serious run at the national championship. Just think the Birds are going to be as strong, if not better, than last year (and that's pretty good).

Maybe I think you're giving SIU a bit too much credit, but one thing's for sure....the Gateway is going to be TOUGH with the possible exception of the Sycs.

Let's see the Gateway steam roll some non-conference teams...YES!! :nod:

Cap'n Cat
July 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Rob, you're alright! Hopefully, if things work out schedule wise, I can make it up to the Dome to see the Birds take on the Panthers. Definitely NOT direspecting the UNI program at all...far from it. Think you guys can make a serious run at the national championship. Just think the Birds are going to be as strong, if not better, than last year (and that's pretty good).

Maybe I think you're giving SIU a bit too much credit, but one thing's for sure....the Gateway is going to be TOUGH with the possible exception of the Sycs.

Let's see the Gateway steam roll some non-conference teams...YES!! :nod:

They're rather good v OOC.

Cap'n Cat
July 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Pre-season outlook--

Co-Champs would not surprise me this year. Several very strong teams. I expect YSU to win it ,but could share with UNI or ILS. WKU & SIU fight it out for 4th. INS in the basement as usual.

YSU, UNI & ILS have the best athletes in the conference-- no question. YSU-- the best D. UNI --the best O. And ILS-- has the best receivers.

Three GFC teams to the play-offs.

Pally, the boys and I miss you in the Lounge.

:) :) :) :)

birdsflyhigh
July 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM
good to see the Gateway getting some major love in the Don Hansen pre-season poll. WOW! Five teams in the top 20. Missouri State was noticeably absent in the top 40. I for one think the Bears might suprise a few people. Who knows? :cool:

Rock on Gateway!!!: hurray:

BearsCountry
July 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Its going to be a fun year in the Gateway.
Here is my predictions:
1. UNI
2. Illinois State
3. Youngstown State
4. Western Kentucky
5. Missouri State
6. Southern Illinois
7. Western Illinois
8. Indiana State

Cap'n Cat
July 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Its going to be a fun year in the Gateway.
Here is my predictions:
1. UNI
2. Illinois State
3. Youngstown State
4. Western Kentucky
5. Missouri State
6. Southern Illinois
7. Western Illinois
8. Indiana State

Looks good, BearButt!

I think a lot of people are over dramatizing UNI's "runaway" with the title, though. It will be tough, as always.

Still, no way YSU finishes in the top five.

BearsCountry
July 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Looks good, BearButt!

I think a lot of people are over dramatizing UNI's "runaway" with the title, though. It will be tough, as always.

Still, no way YSU finishes in the top five.

No doubt it will be tough. I like you guys alot, UNI looks loaded especially with Sanders running the show.

Cap'n Cat
July 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
No doubt it will be tough. I like you guys alot, UNI looks loaded especially with Sanders running the show.

Word I'm hearin' from Cedar Falls is that rebuilding a linebacker corps will be the challenge this year.

I worked for Terry Allen as a GA, Bear, and he is tops. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him last month. Absolute class act. You guys will be winning left and right.....and soon.

BearsCountry
July 19th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Word I'm hearin' from Cedar Falls is that rebuilding a linebacker corps will be the challenge this year.

I worked for Terry Allen as a GA, Bear, and he is tops. Exchanged a couple e-mails with him last month. Absolute class act. You guys will be winning left and right.....and soon.

Good to hear that, us Bear fans are hoping for something we have been snakebite for a while now.

Paladin1aa
July 19th, 2006, 07:38 PM
My outlook as the possible finish--

1 YSU
1 ILS
3 UNI
4 SIU
4 WKU
6 MSU
7 WIU
8 INS

YSU, ILS & UNI to the play-offs

Redbird Fan 21
July 19th, 2006, 10:31 PM
One thing that there should be no argument about is if ILS does not make the playoffs... Denver Redboots Johnson will be packing his things as soon as they playoff pairings come out. He has one year to prove to new AD Sheaon Zenger that he is the right guy for the job. Lets hope DJ can silence his critics and win the big game!!!

Paladin1aa
July 19th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Love the cowboy boots. What a redneck !! LOL !!!

birdsflyhigh
July 19th, 2006, 11:48 PM
sure he wears red cowboy boots...c'mon his name is DENVER :D

SO ILLmatic
July 20th, 2006, 03:11 AM
YSU, ILS & UNI to the play-offs

I think this is another good topic going into the 2006 Gateway Season: How many teams from the Gateway get in the playoffs and which teams would be representing?

igo4uni
July 20th, 2006, 12:48 PM
They're rather good v OOC.

Yeah, even Indiana State wins an OOC game once in a while.:D :D :D

Cap'n Cat
July 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM
One thing that there should be no argument about is if ILS does not make the playoffs... Denver Redboots Johnson will be packing his things as soon as they playoff pairings come out. He has one year to prove to new AD Sheaon Zenger that he is the right guy for the job. Lets hope DJ can silence his critics and win the big game!!!

If he is ousted, do like everyone else in the conference and hire someone from Northern Iowa.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

;)

Chi Panther
July 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM
If he is ousted, do like everyone else in the conference and hire someone from Northern Iowa.

;)

You know that coach Salmon would be on that list......:mad:

Cap'n Cat
July 20th, 2006, 03:00 PM
You know that coach Salmon would be on that list......:mad:

He wouldn't go Illinois State unless it was for a bankroll.

Chi Panther
July 20th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Tru.....but Salmon and Verduzco have to be the most sought after
non-head coaches in the GFC.

Toppertonic
July 21st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Why are we being overlooked so much?? I'm much more confident in this years team than last years.

Killtoppers90
July 21st, 2006, 11:08 AM
Why are we being overlooked so much?? I'm much more confident in this years team than last years.
We are not being overlooked. However, we do not have a superb sqaud this year, have a difficult schedule and lots of re-building to do on the O and D lines. We do have quite a few seniors on the team but they need to show leadership we lacked last season. We must be able to stop a throwing QB and show that we are more than a one dimensional offense. Until that happens, we will be middle of the pack in the league. Sorry this is hard news to swallow, but it is for me too.

Cap'n Cat
July 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
Welcome to AGS, Ttonic!!!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

FlyYtown
July 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM

As a penguin fan, not to sound mean, but maybe that 42-10 pounding you guys took in the last game of the season vs. YSU has something to do about it?

Thats the only logical reason I got... You looked good for the most part last year until we tore you apart.

BearsCountry
July 21st, 2006, 01:21 PM

;)

:D :D :D :D

MSUBear42
July 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
Unless that doesn't work, then everyone can decide another school to hire from.

Shockerman
July 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hard to vote against the fighting UNI's. One thing for sure, you can count on MO-State to bring up the rear! :D Although I am sure TA will have something to say about that in the future. We shall see.

Go Gateway, Go Valley, Go Shox!

skinny_uncle
July 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hard to vote against the fighting UNI's. One thing for sure, you can count on MO-State to bring up the rear! :D Although I am sure TA will have something to say about that in the future. We shall see.

Go Gateway, Go Valley, Go Shox!
I don't see MO-State bringing up the rear as long as Indiana State is in the league. But then how much can a Shocker fan know about football? UNI seems to be the popular choice so far, but this aint a popularity contest once the season gets started. May the best team win!

I-AA Fan
July 22nd, 2006, 07:51 AM

;)

Unless you are more serious about football, then they hire Penguin coaches. That is why 5 of them currently are IA head coaches ;)

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM
Unless you are more serious about football, then they hire Penguin coaches. That is why 5 of them currently are IA head coaches ;)

I guess that would explain the recent lack of wins in a certain dome. :thumbsup:

Paladin1aa
July 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM
No, Panther. That helps to explain 4 I-AA National titles for the Guins vs. NONE for UNI !!

Mountain Panther
July 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
No, Panther. That helps to explain 4 I-AA National titles for the Guins vs. NONE for UNI !!

This argument again? You have titles, we don't. But we have many more wins over your program that you over us. Nuff said.

I-AA Fan
July 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
This argument again? You have titles, we don't. But we have many more wins over your program that you over us. Nuff said.

Don't involve me in this one. I watched the 2005 title game & I know which GFC team was, and was not, in it. I merely added a bit of sarcasm to the thread.

Mountain Panther
July 22nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
Don't involve me in this one. I watched the 2005 title game & I know which GFC team was, and was not, in it. I merely added a bit of sarcasm to the thread.

I'll leave the Youngstown smack to the Cap'n!

Chi Panther
July 22nd, 2006, 07:49 PM

Yes...I'm trying to recall the head to head UNI vs. YSU series record....:read: xcoffeex :thumbsup: xlolx :thumbsup: xcoffeex :read:

PMB4Life
July 23rd, 2006, 03:06 AM
Yes...I'm trying to recall the head to head UNI vs. YSU series record....

OWNED.

ISUMatt
July 23rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
OK I had to look it up...

UNI is 14-6 vs YSU

UNI has racked up the most wins vs Morningside (IA): 36-11-3
UNI has lost the most to Drake: 18-25-1

Mountain Panther
July 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
UNI has racked up the most wins vs Morningside (IA): 36-11-3
UNI has lost the most to Drake: 18-25-1

And in what years did those games take place??? A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

All-time vs. each Gateway team would be interesting. Better do my homework :read: xcoffeex

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM

Yup, heard that one, when was the last time you beat us in the Dome? That was my point.

Let me guess, 4 Titles?

shakdaddy3
July 23rd, 2006, 01:34 PM

I would rather have 4 titles than a better record vs. a specific team...

crunifan
July 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
If UNI beats Youngstown this year, away from the dome. Will you guys please be quiet? PLEASE?

Mountain Panther
July 23rd, 2006, 02:10 PM
If UNI beats Youngstown this year, away from the dome. Will you guys please be quiet? PLEASE?

I would rather lose at Y-Town and then win a NC then the other way around this year. :twocents:

Killtoppers90
July 23rd, 2006, 03:58 PM
Dude, you know damn good and well Y-town fans can't shut up. Why even ask the question?

FlyYtown
July 23rd, 2006, 09:23 PM
Dude, you know damn good and well Y-town fans can't shut up. Why even ask the question?

See you UNI Fans, Mr. Marc here got us read, now you guys can too! We love our team, most of us love our town[maybe stretching it], and we know what football is all about.

We are your football experts, we get a dose of some of the best high school football Friday night, then go tailgating across from Stambaugh around noon on Saturday to get ready for the game.

I Won't shut up until I get what I beleive is needed at YSU, I won't make that an argument this year.

crunifan
July 23rd, 2006, 09:29 PM
See you UNI Fans, Mr. Marc here got us read, now you guys can too! We love our team, most of us love our town[maybe stretching it], and we know what football is all about.

We are your football experts, we get a dose of some of the best high school football Friday night, then go tailgating across from Stambaugh around noon on Saturday to get ready for the game.

I Won't shut up until I get what I beleive is needed at YSU, I won't make that an argument this year.

I have no problem with you our or other Youngstown fans. And if all you wanted was to support Youngstown State I would completely enjoy your company on this board. You have every right to be excited about Penguin football, everyone knows you have on hell of a I-AA program. But you talk so much smack about UNI and gloat so much about Youngstown it annoys other people. So if you would tone it down just a little, everyone would get along a lot better.

FlyYtown
July 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
I have no problem with you our or other Youngstown fans. And if all you wanted was to support Youngstown State I would completely enjoy your company on this board. You have every right to be excited about Penguin football, everyone knows you have on hell of a I-AA program. But you talk so much smack about UNI and gloat so much about Youngstown it annoys other people. So if you would tone it down just a little, everyone would get along a lot better.

Well thats not what I wanted, I still won't say it. Here's a thought, Tell Mr. Cap-N-Cat to shut his trap too, then I will.. Until he does, I will gloat some more about my YSU.

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2006, 10:43 PM
what it comes down to is:

who really cares?

In any arguement you can always find something you're better at than someone else. The subject could change to academics, other sports, communities, etc.

:thumbsup:

FlyYtown
July 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM
what it comes down to is:

who really cares?

In any arguement you can always find something you're better at than someone else. The subject could change to academics, other sports, communities, etc.

:thumbsup:
I am not one of those guys who will go I'm better than you and make sure you know I am... but I do believe what YSU has done over the 90s and now is something very little teams in all ncaa football can say; and thats including UNI.... although I give you the benefit of the doubt, you dominate this conf.

July 23rd, 2006, 11:12 PM
... :thumbsup:PR82 is in the 2006 I-AA.org preview book...

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I've never seen that picture. Chatty I assume? I thought I only wore both hats in NH since it was freezing. I'm not sure which night was worse sleep, you on the computer Friday night or Cap'n Cat's snoring Sat night. haha.

FlyYTown: I don't think UNI dominates the Gateway. At one point in time we did, but the Gateway has been anyone's race since we had to deal with having a coach named Mike Dunbar. A few more years of this level of play and I will agree, but not right now. Youngstown was amazing in the 90s. I remember them playing in the Dome and championship games. Tresell was a great coach. Obviously OSU thought so too. This is not smack, but do you think being in the Gateway has hurt YSU? I've always been under the impression that the strength of schedule is much higher than before joining the GFC. I thought YSU had some great teams, but if the SoS issue were true, it's possible that YSU maybe had more left in the tank come playoff time. Once again, not smack, not fact, just an honest question.

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2006, 12:44 AM
PR82 is in the 2006 I-AA.org preview book...

Is that the cover? :rolleyes:

July 24th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Is that the cover? :rolleyes:Nope, in the GFC section. You are immortalized by a pic of you in the crowd at Chatty, 2005. (and that good looking female in front of you on her cellphone while you are giving the prophetic #2 salute)

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2006, 02:30 AM
I don't remember that...and I wasn't drinking...

Chi Panther
July 24th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I've never seen that picture. Chatty I assume? I thought I only wore both hats in NH since it was freezing. I'm not sure which night was worse sleep, you on the computer Friday night or Cap'n Cat's snoring Sat night. haha.

FlyYTown: I don't think UNI dominates the Gateway. At one point in time we did, but the Gateway has been anyone's race since we had to deal with having a coach named Mike Dunbar. A few more years of this level of play and I will agree, but not right now. Youngstown was amazing in the 90s. I remember them playing in the Dome and championship games. Tresell was a great coach. Obviously OSU thought so too. This is not smack, but do you think being in the Gateway has hurt YSU? I've always been under the impression that the strength of schedule is much higher than before joining the GFC. I thought YSU had some great teams, but if the SoS issue were true, it's possible that YSU maybe had more left in the tank come playoff time. Once again, not smack, not fact, just an honest question.

With Respect to YSU....I think their run in the 90's thru 97 would have been the same in the GFC....with maybe an additional loss here or there. Remember they didn't win the GFC in 97 but were National Champs! With them in the Conf from 90-96....I think it would have been very difficult for UNI to have won 7 straight titles.....

Cap'n Cat
July 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM
FlyYtown? Child's play....

This is what I like the most:

Farley v YSU - 5-0

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

When Youngstown wins a title in this century, we'll talk. Sheeit, they ain't even come close to a Gateway title!

Completely owned by UNI.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Paladin1aa
July 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Just last year, Cappy

2005 GFC Tri-Champs-- lol

The hardware is in the trophy case-- beside the FOUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHIES

LOOKS GOOD !!!!!!

Cap'n Cat
July 24th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Just last year, Cappy

The hardware is in the trophy case-- beside the FOUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHIES

LOOKS GOOD !!!!!!

Sheeit! They give trophies for THIRD PLACE now?

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Killtoppers90
July 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Sheeit! They give trophies for THIRD PLACE now?

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
Yeah, we are still waiting on ours from 2001 to arrive.

Killtoppers90
July 24th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Just last year, Cappy

LOOKS GOOD !!!!!!
How can YSU br TRI-Champs when UNI beat you (21-7) and SIU (25-24) head-to-head last year? Just because that you wound up with the same record does not mean that you are Champs.

Paladin1aa
July 24th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Guess the GFC didn't get that memo

Tri-Champs !!!! LOL

Chi Panther
July 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM
How can YSU br TRI-Champs when UNI beat you (21-7) and SIU (25-24) head-to-head last year? Just because that you wound up with the same record does not mean that you are Champs.

Only ppl on this board that will argue that are Salukis and Penguins.....and I bet many Salukis and Penguins will agree......:rotateh:

July 24th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Just wait until the I-AA.org GFC ranking comes out... expect some screaming!

Killtoppers90
July 25th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Care to tip your hand, Ralph???

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2006, 09:41 AM
GFC Preseason says:

UNI
YSU
Il St

Chi Panther
July 25th, 2006, 09:44 AM

UNI
YSU
Il State
WKU
SIU
MSU
WIU
In State
xcoffeex

FlyYtown
July 25th, 2006, 10:10 AM
UNI
YSU
Il State

At least the Gateway realizes this team is as legit as you can be.
Go YSU.

And Killtoppers..Actually when you win the conf. crown, it usually goes by the number of conf. wins. We all had the same # of wins and losses. That is why UNI-SIU-YSU were all Champions last year.