PDA

View Full Version : Hey UNI Fans

THE HERD
August 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
Tell us about this RFr you guys named starter at QB.....I thought for sure your second string from last year(Lanpher?) would get the nod.

Twentysix
August 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
I heard he doesn't have much of a neck. He must throw the ball well.

Professor Chaos
August 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Lanpher sticks around since he's a sophomore who's now backing up a freshman. I'd like to think he would but I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't.

I know the UNI guys have been high on this rs frosh QB for a while now. Sounds like he was an Oklahoma kid that fell through the recruiting cracks of OU and OSU and ended up pretty much getting gift wrapped to UNI.

They've got one hell of a tough opening month to be throwing a freshman into the fire at QB. Although it's not like Lanpher had much more experience.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 23rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Lanpher managed to perform quite ably when Rennie was knocked out of the game against the Bison. Threw some pretty nice passes. If this kid is better, they may have a shot.

clenz
August 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
People are going to take this as me saying UNI is going to be unstoppable, but it's not. I'm just stating stats, and my opinion of Kollmorgen.

I've assumed, since the day he signed, that this was Kollmorgen's job starting this year. If we didn't have Rennie last year, I'd be Kollmorgen starts as a true Freshman. This isn't a knock on Lanpher, as he has shown he can play well...it's more about the potential I see in Sawyer.

He is from Jenks, OK, which is the SW side (I believe) of Tulsa, OK. He played in a nicer stadium in HS than he will most games in the FCS. Google Jenks High School and satellite view it. How he slipped to UNI I have no idea, to be completely honest. Being in Tulsa's back yard at the very least. Jenks is a 12 time state champion in Oklahoma, and is typically ranked nationally for high school teams. Sawyer's senior season he lead them to the following rankings:
* No. 5 nationally (Massey Ratings)
* No. 13 nationally (ESPN/RISE FAB 50)
* No. 21 nationally (National Prep Poll)
* No. 23 nationally (MaxPreps)
* No. 29 nationally (RivalsHigh 100)
* No. 3, Southwest Region (ESPN/RISE)
* No. 4, Southwest Region (National Prep Poll

Last season they had 14 seniors go on to play college ball...more than half at the D1 level.

Sawyers numbers in HS were amazing. He threw 39 touchdowns and only three interceptions during his 2,596-yard senior season. His bio from UNI reads"Served as the starting quarterback at Jenks as a sophomore, junior and senior ... was a first-team all-state selection as a junior and senior ... named the Oklahoma District 6A-3 Player of the Year ... finished with a 33-3-0 record as a starter ... led Jenks to three consecutive state title games ... set the Jenks record with 6,716 passing yards and ranks second in school history with 74 touchdown passes ... rushed for 11 touchdowns in his career ... threw for 2,602 yards and 38 touchdowns in 2010, a school record for touchdown passes ... threw just three interceptions and completed 73.4 percent of his passes ... had a QB rating of 147.02 as a senior, completing 78 percent of Jenks' scoring drives in six plays or fewer ... helped Jenks lead all Oklahoma schools in scoring ... Jenks was ranked as high as No. 5 in the nation in 2010"

That team that lead OK in scoring put up 57.3 points per game.

Worth all 14 minutes of the watch...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtsn84xQvHA&amp;feature=relmfu">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtsn84xQvHA&amp;feature=relmfu[/URL][SIZE=2]

The starting job as been Sawyer's since spring practice, it just wasn't "official". He took twice as many snaps as any other QB, and threw 3 or 4 times as many passes as any other QB. He was 17-28 for 258 yards and 2 TD's in the split squad game. Watching his tape, and seeing him in person, his arm is huge. There was on in completion during the spring game that he over threw a WR 55 yards down field....the last two years anything over 25 yards was an under throw. His biggest problem, which will change quickly with PT, is he tends to lack "touch" on some throws. There was, out of his 11 in-completions in the spring game probably 4 or 5 that would have been catches but he put a little to much zip on the ball so he led the WR too far or just threw it too hard for a short pass. The nice thing I've noticed, and is a common thing from those who've watched him in practice and games more than I have, is that he never gets too high or too low based on his performance in game. The most emotion I saw out of him in the spring game was after a TD pass he put his arms in the air to do a TD signal and that was it....or he clapped his hands together after an over throw.

He seems to have a very nice presence in the pocket. From what I've seen his feet never stop, and he slides gracefully in the pocket well beyond a rFr level.

I sound really high on him, because I am. With his potential these next 4 years could be really special.

moosbah
August 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Just googled that. He's not going to be happy when he visits ISU or SDSU.

clenz
August 23rd, 2012, 02:58 PM
Just googled that. He's not going to be happy when he visits ISU or SDSU.
Nope....It's probably a better venue that WIU, both ISU's, SDSU, MSU, and is probably in line with NDSU, UNI, and SIU's new place.

moosbah
August 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Nope....It's probably a better venue that WIU, both ISU's, SDSU, MSU, and is probably in line with NDSU, UNI, and SIU's new place.

Hit the WIU game last year. That place is on the way to being decent, but the main stands and parking lot need some MAJOR love.

Aside, if you have ever hit the men's room under their main stands, you know how to take a leak at a 45 degree angle.

clenz
August 23rd, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hit the WIU game last year. That place is on the way to being decent, but the main stands and parking lot need some MAJOR love.

Aside, if you have ever hit the men's room under their main stands, you know how to take a leak at a 45 degree angle.
I was there in 2010, before the new scoreboard (did they get that last year, I thought the fans said they were getting one), and turf....It was a nice area for a stadium but needed a ton of work.

If they would horse shoe the non-campus side of the stadium with all new bleachers all the way around and move the scoreboard to the other side it wouldn't be too bad. The view of the campus is a real nice touch.

Tough to improve a stadium with the lack of support they seem to get, and being in Macomb.

moosbah
August 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
I was there in 2010, before the new scoreboard (did they get that last year, I thought the fans said they were getting one), and turf....It was a nice area for a stadium but needed a ton of work.

If they would horse shoe the non-campus side of the stadium with all new bleachers all the way around and move the scoreboard to the other side it wouldn't be too bad. The view of the campus is a real nice touch.

Tough to improve a stadium with the lack of support they seem to get, and being in Macomb.

They did get the new rug and scoreboard, but like you said, the scoreboard is on the wrong end. That horse shoe idea is good, but the track around the field (always the hallmark of a top notch facility) totally screws that up.

It's a nice little campus, but based upon the small and fairly quiet crowd that showed up for the drubbing, I'd agree support is not that high.

clenz
August 23rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
They did get the new rug and scoreboard, but like you said, the scoreboard is on the wrong end. That horse shoe idea is good, but the track around the field (always the hallmark of a top notch facility) totally screws that up.

It's a nice little campus, but based upon the small and fairly quiet crowd that showed up for the drubbing, I'd agree support is not that high.Even if they just replaced all of the west side stands it would be a huge upgrade. The stadium has a very HS feel to it. The non-campus side is WAY too open to get a good atmosphere - partially due to the track. They seem to be on the right path, but I don't see anything major happening to improve it for a while.

moosbah
August 23rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Even if they just replaced all of the west side stands it would be a huge upgrade. The stadium has a very HS feel to it. The non-campus side is WAY too open to get a good atmosphere - partially due to the track. They seem to be on the right path, but I don't see anything major happening to improve it for a while.

They could put that canon to good use taking the old stands down. Use it as a fundraiser. Pay $20 towards the new stands, you get to fire a shell into the old ones.

ST_Lawson
August 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM

No new scoreboard this year unfortunately. Should be in place next year. Apparently the turf took a bit more money than originally planned (something goofy with steam tunnels that went right under the field) and they weren't able to fit it into the budget. The west side stands (the pressbox/old side) are slated to be replaced in the next few years as well. Money's pretty tight coming from the state right now, so it's pretty much all on us to raise the money for it.
Here's a draft of what the scoreboard is supposed to look like (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/128325/WIU%20Stuff/HansonScoreboard.png), with the arc over the top being in the same style as the sign above the new stadium entrances (http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics15/400/MR/MRMOACGBLYYJONL.20071029192401.jpg).
Here's a pdf of a few renderings of what the stadium should look like with the new west side stands. (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/128325/WIU%20Stuff/newstadium.pdf)

Horseshoing the stadium would be really nice, but probably not feasible. Current official stadium capacity is within 100 seats of the UNI-Dome (slightly over 16.3k) but with the hillsides we can fit nearly 20k people (it'd probably be about the same with the new west stands). Our best attendance in the last decade was in 2003 when we averaged 12.9k per game. So, it's be cool, but we don't really have the attendance at this point to do it.

Also, moosbah, if it was the NDSU game you went to last year, it's not surprising the crowd seemed small and quiet. The first three home games all had over 10k fans (14k for Homecoming), but the last two (after we'd lost pretty much our entire starting offense to injuries and were sitting at 2-7 in November) were played in front of less than 4k fans. If we stay healthy and play well, attendance should be much better even later into the season.

moosbah
August 24th, 2012, 12:00 PM
No new scoreboard this year unfortunately. Should be in place next year. Apparently the turf took a bit more money than originally planned (something goofy with steam tunnels that went right under the field) and they weren't able to fit it into the budget. The west side stands (the pressbox/old side) are slated to be replaced in the next few years as well. Money's pretty tight coming from the state right now, so it's pretty much all on us to raise the money for it.
Here's a draft of what the scoreboard is supposed to look like (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/128325/WIU%20Stuff/HansonScoreboard.png), with the arc over the top being in the same style as the sign above the new stadium entrances (http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics15/400/MR/MRMOACGBLYYJONL.20071029192401.jpg).
Here's a pdf of a few renderings of what the stadium should look like with the new west side stands. (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/128325/WIU%20Stuff/newstadium.pdf)

Horseshoing the stadium would be really nice, but probably not feasible. Current official stadium capacity is within 100 seats of the UNI-Dome (slightly over 16.3k) but with the hillsides we can fit nearly 20k people (it'd probably be about the same with the new west stands). Our best attendance in the last decade was in 2003 when we averaged 12.9k per game. So, it's be cool, but we don't really have the attendance at this point to do it.

Also, moosbah, if it was the NDSU game you went to last year, it's not surprising the crowd seemed small and quiet. The first three home games all had over 10k fans (14k for Homecoming), but the last two (after we'd lost pretty much our entire starting offense to injuries and were sitting at 2-7 in November) were played in front of less than 4k fans. If we stay healthy and play well, attendance should be much better even later into the season.

Any chance they will put up some stands behind the parking lot endzone? Even that would give it the feel of a closed in stadium.

I like the idea of keeping the hillside on the campus end.

ValleyChamp
August 24th, 2012, 12:51 PM
UNI has, really all of the sudden found some incredible QB depth. We have already seen a little bit of Lanpher last year when Rennie was hurt, and he has already proven to be a very good QB. Played well in relief of Rennie in Fargo against NDSU, and started and won the game against YSU last year.

Then there is Kollmorgen, who was just named the starter. As Clenz outlined, he was a pretty highly rated QB coming out of a powerhouse FB program in Oklahoma. I don't know how he didn't end up at a high major program to be honest. UNI is very grateful to have landed him.

Someone that hasn't been mentioned yet is Steven Kaiser, a transfer from SMU. He came to UNI this offseason as well. He was also a very highly regarded QB coming out of HS For whatever reason, it just didn't work out at SMU and he transferred from there. He is from Missouri where UNI recruits quite heavily, and it was rumored that he would be going to MSU at first but he opted to come to UNI, even knowing that he would have to win the job against a couple other talented guys. Its looking like he is going to be the backup QB, and Lanpher (who has already shown very high potential) may end up as UNI's THIRD string QB. That just kind of illustrates the depth that UNI has right now at that position.

And even after THAT, there is said to be some talent. A true freshman from Florida, by way of Michigan, was also "in the mix". It was said to be a 4 man race for the starting job when camp opened. It sounds like he will be redshirting. Realistically, it will be hard to retain ALL of these guys, because I'm sure they will want to play. But either way, UNI has set itself up very well with that position, today and into the future with talent and depth. With that said, its a lot of hype at this point, and they have yet to prove anything on the field. We will see just how good some of these guys are this year.

ST_Lawson
August 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Any chance they will put up some stands behind the parking lot endzone? Even that would give it the feel of a closed in stadium.

I like the idea of keeping the hillside on the campus end.

Not any time in the near future. There is a large section just past the north endzone that has the same surface as the track (far left side of this photo (http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2011/09/09/8784533/Hanson_Final1.jpg)) where they usually put up some temporary bleachers, but that's as close as it's going to be to having seating on that end for quite a while. At this point we don't need the extra seats, and anyone sitting there is going to be facing right into the sun for most early afternoon games anyway.

moosbah
August 28th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Not any time in the near future. There is a large section just past the north endzone that has the same surface as the track (far left side of this photo (http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2011/09/09/8784533/Hanson_Final1.jpg)) where they usually put up some temporary bleachers, but that's as close as it's going to be to having seating on that end for quite a while. At this point we don't need the extra seats, and anyone sitting there is going to be facing right into the sun for most early afternoon games anyway.

You guys are VERY close to having a cool little stadium, but that track.........