PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh's Second Scrimmage/Colvin Named Starter

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/lehigh_holds_second_scrimmage_coen_names_colvin_st arting_qb.aspx

“Mike has played well throughout camp,” Coen said. “He played well in Friday’s scrimmage and did well again today. Over the last two years he’s had a role, but Chris (Lum) took most of the reps in practice. Mike made big strides in spring ball and has continued to do so here in camp. He’s a big, strong athlete with a great arm. He can make all the throws. I’m excited to see him play.”

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
My take on things:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/08/colvin-named-opening-day-starter.html

An interesting move by Coen to anoint him the starter so early. I get the impression he must have been head and shoulders above the competition in order for him to call him the starter a week before the opener and some camp left to go.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2012, 12:48 PM
Colvin has really shown a great upside. Bigger and stronger than Lum, he can be a huge force with the improvement in his mechanics and reading the coverages. If he has mastered those two, look out! Lehigh's run game should be better this year, so defenses are really going to have to play 'honest', which should open things up for Spadola, Haggins and Kurfis. Word from camp is that there are some very, very speedy frosh and sophomores that may catch some secondaries napping.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Parris, Knott, Kurfis very impressive. Knott is a difference maker. DL depth is main issue now. LB better off but depth is still shaky. Lots of athletes but not much experience. Sanders should be able to coach them up. I would love to see the 2 deep.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
I would love to see the 2 deep.

Should I do this, or preview Columbia? Hmm.... :D

Libertine
August 23rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Was this really a question? I was under the impression that Colvin was pretty much the guy after Lum

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Was this really a question? I was under the impression that Colvin was pretty much the guy after Lum

Assuming he progressed throughout the offseason it wasn't going to be much of a question. I'll be interested to see who's listed behind him on the depth chart. From what I've read McHale has done a really nice job as well.

van
August 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
First game only 9 days away, don't think that is too early to name your starter and settle in the game planning. Would be different if the #2 guys was breathing down his neck.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
First game only 9 days away, don't think that is too early to name your starter and settle in the game planning. Would be different if the #2 guys was breathing down his neck.

I got the impression from Coach early that it was still a wide-open race at QB, I think that's why I was a little surprised.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM
See TSN has its playoff bracket up. Has us 1st round vs Bethune Cookman then vs SHU as 2 seed. We best do better than he thinks to get a seed.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
See TSN has its playoff bracket up. Has us 1st round vs Bethune Cookman then vs SHU as 2 seed. We best do better than he thinks to get a seed.

Yeah, I don't see that happening....

This is based almost entirely on ranking I believe. If Lehigh gets in they need to push hard for a home game! It's simply too hard to advance in the playoffs by going on the road every year.

Mr. C
August 23rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
What little I got to see of Colvin last year, I liked. I think he will do better than people expect and I think he will come on as the season progresses. The Hawks just need him to be strong with ball security.

Mr. C
August 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM

The playoff bracket stuff is totally ridiculous and is done by someone who still doesn't even understand how the process works. There is no way Lehigh would play a first-round game this year as a PL champion in my opinion, particularly when the schedule could have the Mountain Hawks going to the playoffs at 10-1, or 11-0. And Lehigh wouldn't be playing Sam Houston State in the second round. Has Craig still not figured out regional concepts? Also, no one seems to be looking at what a difficult schedule that Sam Houston State has this season. For the Bearkats to emerge as a No. 2 seed would be highly doubtful.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 23rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
That was Sam Houston? I thought that was Sacred Heart... thanks RichH. :D

CFBfan
August 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
My take on things:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2012/08/colvin-named-opening-day-starter.html

An interesting move by Coen to anoint him the starter so early. I get the impression he must have been head and shoulders above the competition in order for him to call him the starter a week before the opener and some camp left to go.

Is a week before your first game really early??? I would think you'd want to get your starter as many reps as possible prior to the game.....

RichH2
August 23rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
That was Sam Houston? I thought that was Sacred Heart... thanks RichH. :D

LOL. We are in real trouble if we have to go on the road to play in vs Sacred Heart.

LUHawker
August 23rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
The playoff bracket stuff is totally ridiculous and is done by someone who still doesn't even understand how the process works. There is no way Lehigh would play a first-round game this year as a PL champion in my opinion, particularly when the schedule could have the Mountain Hawks going to the playoffs at 10-1, or 11-0. And Lehigh wouldn't be playing Sam Houston State in the second round. Has Craig still not figured out regional concepts? Also, no one seems to be looking at what a difficult schedule that Sam Houston State has this season. For the Bearkats to emerge as a No. 2 seed would be highly doubtful.

I agree. Craig's bracket last year was atrocious and, in general, affords Lehigh little "respect", even though I hate that term because it is thrown around too casually. LU getting shipped to BC in the first round, com'on!

RichH2
August 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
See that Laub is 2 at strong LB. . Impressive given all the LBs returning. A full 2 deep would be nice. Oh , Grollier also noted that Lippincott at RG.

ngineer
August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 PM
Assuming he progressed throughout the offseason it wasn't going to be much of a question. I'll be interested to see who's listed behind him on the depth chart. From what I've read McHale has done a really nice job as well.

Yes, Colvin's physical ability has never been questioned. Bigger, stronger and faster than Lum. Canon for an arm. Question was always whether he can execute with the mechanics and read defenses. Coach 'Chick" seems to have really coached him up. I've also heard good things about McHale, though I saw that Bialkowski ran with the second squad the other day.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM
We tend to forget McHale was an A-S Qb inNJ. But he ran a running O. BB was A-S in Ariz. If Mike can get comfortable and confident in his reads and stop hestating he will be very good. He among many others stayed for the summer. He has a good opportunity to find his way with our OOC games. I believe he will be OK and improve , he will ne a force in PL.

Laker
August 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Could you Lehigh fans tell me why they changed from the Engineers, which is what I first heard way back in 1967, to the Mountain Hawks? I thought Engineers was completely unique but sometime during the 90s I heard the new moniker. I wouldn't think that it would be political correctness but I never heard a reason and was wondering why.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Ah a.sordid and sad story. As I am am Engineer, who was a history major, I admit to being biased. Basically a PC attempt to rebrand LU in a broader context. The vast majority of.students are in business and .A&S majors. It really was an attempt to expand image of LU as a University not just an engineering school. LU went coed. Powers that be assumed we had to emphasize other aspects of school. Silly overthinking but it is now a done deal. If you look at LU bio, we list 3 nicknames, with The Brown & White.

van
August 24th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ah a.sordid and sad story. As I am am Engineer, who was a history major, I admit to being biased. Basically a PC attempt to rebrand LU in a broader context. The vast majority of.students are in business and .A&S majors. It really was an attempt to expand image of LU as a University not just an engineering school. LU went coed. Powers that be assumed we had to emphasize other aspects of school. Silly overthinking but it is now a done deal. If you look at LU bio, we list 3 nicknames, with The Brown & White.

Sad indeed. My slide rule never got over it!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 24th, 2012, 10:47 AM

I was in the brief "Brown & White" era, basically a "we don't want to be the Engineers anymore, but we don't want to hurt anyone else's feelings!" mealy-mouthed decision that made nobody happy. But just a bit later students came up with Mountain Hawks, which I personally like and can embrace. There is a linkage to South Mountain, and it allows us to have a proper mascot.

It of course also gives carney the chance to call us "chicken squawks".

Laker
August 24th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info. "Brown and White" I hadn't hear of- other than being the school colors. That does sound like a try to please all and end up pleasing none.

I hope that North Dakota doesn't start calling themselves the "Green and White". But that might take years to solve that problem.

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Good luck Laker.

ngineer
August 24th, 2012, 04:07 PM
The change also had a lot to do with marketing. Not only to shift the focus soley from Lehigh's engineering college, but having a "marketable" mascot for the kids to hugs, have their pics taken, etc. The "old" Engineer looking through the surveyor's transom with the locomotive running between his legs was not 'warm and fuzzy'. As a former Engineer player (Government/Economics major), I still consider myself an Engineer, but I cheer for the Mountain Hawks. We're not unusual with multiple nicknames: Yale:Eli/Bulldogs; Alabama: Crimson Tide/Elephant mascot; Auburn: War Eagles/Tigers/Plainsmen; Laughyette: Leopards/Pussies...(;-) just for our Maroon friends...

RichH2
August 24th, 2012, 04:19 PM
There are a few more Pard nicknames we used but not printable. While I am always going to be an engineer, I will always be a Lehigh fam.

ngineer
August 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome aboard, Laker!

Laker
August 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Welcome aboard, Laker!

Thanks, guys. I was on here originally five years ago when so many of the old NCC teams made the jump to FCS. I saw road games at each school except Northern Colorado. I've also worked basketball camps at UND and NDSU and have friends there and at USD and SDSU. This board helps me keep track of what is going on with realignment. I've got over 17,000 posts on the D2football.com board- I'm a big Maverick fan in football, basketball and baseball. I go to some hockey games but with season tickets for basketball..........

I just retired from teaching social studies and coached for many years. College football was my first love- played in junior college but wasn't big enough or good enough to continue. And I love to read about info that I wouldn't find elsewhere- especially about different parts of the country. Each school- each stadium or gym- has special traditions, quirks, food, etc. Going to a game at Penn State was different than one at Iowa or Michigan. I was big on FBS but now I have more fun with D2 (no FCS schools in Minnesota- but the Gophers still lose to them!).

Pard4Life
August 24th, 2012, 05:17 PM
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/lehigh_holds_second_scrimmage_coen_names_colvin_st arting_qb.aspx

Colvin named the starter!?!?!?!

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/3078443+_82bccb8480a2fd8ff3752e73745b0993.jpg

http://kyoske.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/garfield-well-duh.jpg

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Or+use+the+piece+of+paper+its+written+on+as+_98a72 5bac66aeceea4619939878ce830.jpg

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Pard4Life
August 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Could you Lehigh fans tell me why they changed from the Engineers, which is what I first heard way back in 1967, to the Mountain Hawks? I thought Engineers was completely unique but sometime during the 90s I heard the new moniker. I wouldn't think that it would be political correctness but I never heard a reason and was wondering why.

Lehigh has an identity crisis and they cannot decide what to appropriately call a team with brown colors aside from the obvious.

Lehigh can also be referenced as the:

Brown Stains
Saucon Swine
Chicken Hawks
Squawks
Taunters
Bethlehem Bacillus
Brown Panties
Hawkineers
Turds
Fountain Pigeons
Fountain Fowl
Brown Clowns
Drinker Twinkies
Fountain Squawks
Assa Packers
Engi-queers
Safety School
Brownie Downies
Poutin' Crocks
Sayre Squares
Lawn Boy
Those Less Fortunate Ones
Christmas City Cankermouths
Bronwclads

Pard4Life
August 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM

You Brown Clowns are worried about your playoff seeding in a hypothetical bracket when your quarterback has not even started in one meaningful game where he did not throw four interceptions????

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zuXEt3H75Xk/ShGnhkf1k9I/AAAAAAAAAPQ/nTjGpJwOIjE/s320/wacko_jacko.jpg