PDA

View Full Version : Grambling loses the "G"

Retro
May 26th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Grambling will be changing it's helmet and logo due to the following:

Wednesday, May 25, 2005
Grambling logo to be less like Packers', Georgia's 'G'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

GRAMBLING, La. -- After letting rights lapse to its familiar "G" on football helmets, Grambling State University is planning to introduce a new logo for the first time in decades -- much to the consternation of some fans.

Since the rights to the logo lapsed, outside vendors can produce and sell items with the logo, all without giving a dime to the school.

"Grambling paraphernalia sells all over the country. We're losing money hand over fist," said football coach Melvin Spears.

Athletics director Willie Jeffries confirmed the logo change, and said an unveiling could come as early as this week.

Some school supporters have a notable lack of enthusiasm.

"Brand identity is not something to play with," said 1990 Grambling graduate Kenn Rashad, who operates a Web site devoted to the Southwestern Athletic Conference called SWACPage. "Establishing a successful brand isn't something that can happen overnight."

Since the 1980s, Grambling used an oval-shaped "G" on its football helmets similar to that of the NFL's Green Bay Packers and the NCAA's Georgia Bulldogs, except in color scheme. Grambling featured a black-and-gold palette, sometimes circled with an accent of red.

But government records show Grambling lost the copyright on that logo almost seven years ago, as well as protection for its school seal.

Once the lapse was discovered by new Grambling president Horace Judson, plans to change the logo got under way, according to Jeffries.

"The big 'G' will still be in play," Spears said. "But we've got to do some things that make sure our logo is identified only with us, not with Green Bay or Georgia, as well. The 'G' will still be on the helmet. It will be a form of that, with a tiger as well."

Jeffries said updated helmets will be ready in time for football season, and the design will be standard across all university-sponsored sports.

Still, the university administration has been peppered with e-mail protests about the plan.

"It's a sad day," said Grambling booster John Wilborn. "I know that some individuals think we are too close to the Green Bay and Georgia 'G.' The color, however, is the difference."

colgate13
May 26th, 2005, 02:24 PM
It's all about the $... new logo, new proceeds... :(

putter
May 26th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Bling Bling --- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

Mr. C
May 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
How did they manage to let their rights "lapse" on something so important? Is this just another example of Grambling failing to have their act together? Unbelievable. You hate to see a school like this lose such a big part of its tradition.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 26th, 2005, 07:14 PM
No one was minding the school's business?

The SWAC in general seems like a big mess. Look at the battle over TV rights earlier this year, and some of their classic rivalry games...

I'm just putting this in the "SWAC problems" pile.

Umass74
May 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM
How did they manage to let their rights "lapse" on something so important? Is this just another example of Grambling failing to have their act together? Unbelievable. You hate to see a school like this lose such a big part of its traditio

I agree with Mr. C. A big part of the appeal of the HBC colleges is tradition they represent. As far as most people here are concerned, the Packers and Georgia are copying Grambling!

With all the great players who wore the "G" it seems a shame to change it.

Grambling's president should make someone do many, many pushups :mad:

GannonFan
May 27th, 2005, 09:13 AM
They blew this 7 years ago when they lost the copyright and are only now making the changes? Is anyone at the wheel over there at Grambling??? Sad to see such a venerable program like this flounder in every way.

mikebigg
May 27th, 2005, 08:28 PM
The G was not always a part of the helmet...during the time I was there in the 70's there was not G. Not sure when it was actually added to the helmet...prolly in the mid to late 80's.

We have had our share of problems due to a lack of consistency in the president's office. A lot of the problems either have been or are being corrected by our new president who came on board last fall. This "change" is one of the things being corrected. Yall can calm down...things at Grambling is going well and will get better soon.

mikebigg
May 27th, 2005, 08:42 PM
The state of Lousiana has been trying to close Gram for the last 10 years AT LEAST- I would say they had more important things to worry about than the "G". I will miss it on the helmets, but I hope this move works better fro them financially.

Actually, our problems began about 10 years ago during the tenure of Bobby Jindal as President of the La. Board of Regents (which governs all the public colleges and universities in La, except LSU and Southern...both have their own individual Boards). While Jindal was in office (appointed by his mentor former Gov. Mike Foster who was clueless) at an early age (less than 30) and didn't have the experience and "degree" of care needed to run the Board of Regents. He hired and fired at least two presidents for audit concerns...the same two presidents who pleaded for a Comptroller to get the financial and internal controls shortcomings under control.

The current president of the Board of Regents is Dr. Sally Clausen, former president of SLU. It was her committed effort to get things corrected at Grambling during the loss of accrediation due to "recurring" audit concerns and poor record keeping...not academics evaluations. During the time of the fiasco caused during Jindal's tenure and the pre-occupation of the two Presidents who had to deal with Jindal, that the person in charge of the copyright matters didn't do his job. I don't know the facts surrounding what didn't get done...but I'm willing to wager that the person was somehow placed there by either Jindal or Foster (directly or indirectly). Louisiana is such a political state with it share of backdoor deals. Unfortunately, Grambling's best interest were not always at the forefront. That has changed under Dr. Clausen and we (Gramblinites) like the changes and controls being implemented by Dr. Horace Judson...at least until now with the Helmets. However, something has to be done because of the revenue we are losing.

We can come up with a logo and such for the jerseys and other paraphanelia...but I would rather just leave the helmets as solid black. While I'm at it...I would like to see the team play in throwback jerseys. If we market the "authentic" replicas, we would make a mint. Grambling jerseys and paraphanelia has a broad market appeal.

igo4uni
May 27th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Maybe this will do:

That's not Tony the Tiger, is it Ralph??

peace

igo4uni

ngineer
May 27th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Naw.....

IT'S GRRRRRRRREAT!

A little irony, there. The 'voice' of Tony the Tiger died this week :(

Retro
May 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I don't know the facts surrounding what didn't get done...but I'm willing to wager that the person was somehow placed there by either Jindal or Foster (directly or indirectly). Louisiana is such a political state with it share of backdoor deals

Geez Mike, Doesn't have anything to do with them being republican does it? :rolleyes: If Grambling had better institutional control over themselves then the state doesn't have to keep stepping in to re-audit every six months.. Why would the state want to shut down one of it's more famous institutions? That's ridiculous.. The simple fact is Grambling has been skating thin ice for the last 20 years as far maintaining academic standards and accredidation and it caught up with them because of poor leadership and their own internal corruption. Grambling has to play by the same rules as all the other state schools, but some people there thought they didn't. :spank:

DemiGS
May 28th, 2005, 02:07 AM
I might add that about this time last year there was a stink in Athens because the university lost the rights to Georgia's 'G' or the name UGA or something like that. I just remember thinking they could change to "broad street community college".

mikebigg
May 28th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Geez Mike, Doesn't have anything to do with them being republican does it? :rolleyes: If Grambling had better institutional control over themselves then the state doesn't have to keep stepping in to re-audit every six months.. Why would the state want to shut down one of it's more famous institutions? That's ridiculous.. The simple fact is Grambling has been skating thin ice for the last 20 years as far maintaining academic standards and accredidation and it caught up with them because of poor leadership and their own internal corruption. Grambling has to play by the same rules as all the other state schools, but some people there thought they didn't. :spank:

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with them being Republicans. Jindal was deemed "star pupil" by Mike Foster at a young age and appointed to head various agencies...none of which he remained in past 3 yrs. While he was over the Board of Regents, the presidents at GSU asked him to hire a comptroller. He never did. Yes, GSU had some mismanagement issues and some internal matters that had to be addressed...they are being addressed now by our current president.

Your statement about skating thin ice academically is not true. I won't call it an out right lie because I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you simply didn't know the facts and only expressing an "opinion". Our academic programs were not the reason for the accreditation concerns. In fact, several of our programs have received national acclaim for it's success and accomplishments. I want you and others who may be slightly confused to know that the accreditation has held up because our financial records were not in compliance with the Accrediting board's requirements. Once again, the need for a competent Comptroller was needed... by the way, that person has been hired (by Jindal's replacement Dr. Sally Clausen). Our last two audits resulted in a clean bill of health for our institution's financial records and reporting. Just so you would know!

DemiGS
May 30th, 2005, 04:37 AM
It seems the Georgia 'G' and Grambling and anyone else, is second place. We already know UGA has fumbled its copy writes, let alone Grambling. I know I'll catch a lot of flack; But the HBCU's don't count what so ever because this is not a HBCU world/division. I graduated with a guy that said his mother would not let him attend a HCBU because America is not a black sympathy organization. I contend neither is the rest of America. So HBCUs that don’t do the playoffs don’t matter at all (or the other non-playoff teams for that matter).

eaglesrthe1
May 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
It seems the Georgia 'G' and Grambling and anyone else, is second place. We already know UGA has fumbled its copy writes, let alone Grambling. I know I'll catch a lot of flack; But the HBCU's don't count what so ever because this is not a HBCU world/division. I graduated with a guy that said his mother would not let him attend a HCBU because America is not a black sympathy organization. I contend neither is the rest of America. So HBCUs that don’t do the playoffs don’t matter at all (or the other non-playoff teams for that matter).

OK. I'll be the first to give you some flack. What the hell are you talking about?!!

Charlie Don't Surf
May 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2071363

Seems the oval "G" was never Grambling's to begin with.

mikebigg
May 30th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Some points that you need to consider:

1. HBCU's were created due to legal segregation in the South.
2. Legal segregation in the South was not the choice of Black America
3. No HBCU's have been created since the end of legal segregation
4. No HBCU can exclude admission based on race, creed, color, religion, sexual orientation, etc (not even the one's that are private institutions)
5. Most students of HBCU's attended integrated high schools.
6. Most students of HBCU's attend those schools because of family tradition.
7. No HBCU students view their institutions as a sympathy organization...there is no such thing as a black sympathy organization
8. Your friend and his mother needs to get a grip.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 02:27 PM
This has been discussed a thousand times already you are beating a :deadhorse

I hope Grambling and Southern never plays in 1AA playoffs. It doesn't matter. :(

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 02:49 PM
Doesn't matter to you obviously, thanks for sharing your opinion. Grambling has been in the playoffs numerous times already.

I know, thats exactly why hope we never return. I can't think of one 1AA playoff game played on an HBCU campus, no matter where the HBCU rank in the polls. When that changes maybe we will consider it. The days of being in the top five and traveling to play a 14th ranked team don't make sense or cents. :rolleyes:

arkstfan
May 31st, 2005, 03:05 PM
It would be a positive for I-AA if they would participate in the playoffs and have some success. They are some of the best recognized names nationally.

But its a simple equation. There is a low inventory of college football games for television from Thanksgiving to the end of the season and national TV is willing to make a slot available for a great rivalry and EVENT to be televised in that slot. A guarantee of national exposure vs. the possibility of regional TV makes it a simple dollars/cents deal.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 03:11 PM
It would be a positive for I-AA if they would participate in the playoffs and have some success. They are some of the best recognized names nationally.

But its a simple equation. There is a low inventory of college football games for television from Thanksgiving to the end of the season and national TV is willing to make a slot available for a great rivalry and EVENT to be televised in that slot. A guarantee of national exposure vs. the possibility of regional TV makes it a simple dollars/cents deal.

I agree 1000% ;)

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Here's a refresher:
1978 First Round (12/9): Florida A&M 15, Jackson St. 10 Jackson, Miss. 7,000
1981 First Round (12/5): Boise St. 19, Jackson St. 7 Jackson, Miss. 11,500
1981 First Round (12/5): South Carolina St. 26, Tennessee St. 25 (ot) Orangeburg, S.C. 6,224
1984 Quarterfinals (12/1): Louisiana Tech 44, Alcorn St. 21 Jackson, Miss. 16,204
1986 First Round (11/29): Tennessee St. 32, Jackson St. 23 Jackson, Miss. 24,000
1998 First Round (11/28): Florida A&M 27, Troy St. 17 Tallahassee, Fla. 16,509
1999 First Round (11/27): N.C. A&T 24, Tennessee St. 10 Nashville, Tenn. 10,736

All I see here is HBCU eliminating HBCU, Alcorn/LATECH was a nuetral site if played in Jackson and, I believe Famu was ranked at the top when they played Troy State in second round (i might be wrong)

I do know for sure Grambling never played a home game, and was ranked in the top five at least twice.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 03:56 PM
1979 Grambling wasn't in the playoffs (why?) and in 1980 they lost at Boise St (the eventual champ).

Grambling traveled to Boise State and loss 10-9, where was Boise Ranked that year.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Then you don't see:
1984 Quarterfinals (12/1): Louisiana Tech 44, Alcorn St. 21 Jackson, Miss. 16,204
2003 First Round (11/29): Florida Atlantic 32, Bethune-Cookman 24 Daytona Beach, Fla.

That's half the games I listed played at an HBCU vs. a non-HBCU in the I-AA playoffs. Hope that helps. :)

Alcorn is not in Jackson, and has one of the largest stadium in 1AA.
I admit things have gotten better, but not good enough to give up the BC, to play in the playoffs for Grambling. :rolleyes:

arkstfan
May 31st, 2005, 04:20 PM
Here's a refresher:
1978 First Round (12/9): Florida A&M 15, Jackson St. 10 Jackson, Miss. 7,000
1981 First Round (12/5): South Carolina St. 26, Tennessee St. 25 (ot) Orangeburg, S.C. 6,224
1986 First Round (11/29): Tennessee St. 32, Jackson St. 23 Jackson, Miss. 24,000
1999 First Round (11/27): N.C. A&T 24, Tennessee St. 10 Nashville, Tenn. 10,736
2003 First Round (11/29): Florida Atlantic 32, Bethune-Cookman 24 Daytona Beach, Fla.

Ralph, I can't believe you left this off:

1987 First Round (11/28) Arkansas State 35 Jackson State 32, Jackson, MS, 7,500.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 04:22 PM
I know Alcorn is not in Jackson, you said at an HBCU, not at home. :)

Your question:
1980 (NCAA) Poll
1. Lehigh
2. Grambling
3. Eastern Ky.
4. South Carolina St.
5. Western Ky.
6. Delaware
7. Boise St.
8. Northwestern St.
9. Boston U.
10. Connecticut
Massachusetts
Murray St.

And if you want to complain about getting home games in the playoffs then get in line... :)

As I said earlier, we been there and done that. Look Up^

Jackson Memorial Stadium was a neutral site, it hadn't ever been done before or since that game. Tech refuse to play on Alcorn campus even tho, ASU was the top ranked team in the country. :rolleyes:

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 04:36 PM
1979 Grambling wasn't in the playoffs (why?) and in 1980 they lost at Boise St (the eventual champ).

in 1979 Grambling had an 8-3 record and did not win the conference title, no way were they number one that year. Now, in 1978 they were number one, with a 10-1-1 record. ;)

89Hen
May 31st, 2005, 04:37 PM
Tech refuse to play on Alcorn campus even tho, ASU was the top ranked team in the country. :rolleyes:
At 44-0 at one point, I guess they were correct in not paying much attention to that ranking. :p

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Direct from the NCAA book page 164:
1979 (NCAA)
Team
1. Grambling
2. Murray St.
3. Eastern Ky.
Lehigh
5. Nevada
6. Alcorn St.
7. Boston U.
8. Jackson St.
9. Montana St.
10. Northern Ariz.
Southern U.

If you want to give us one, I thank you much. But we loss to Tenn State, Famu and Southern that year. It looks like the SWAC was awesome back then, 4 in the top ten. I believe thats Famu championship, isn't it. ;)

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 05:00 PM
At 44-0 at one point, I guess they were correct in not paying much attention to that ranking. :p

The matter is being fair to all. Not the score or who won. Would they have changed the venue to satisfy Alcorn, I say not.

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 05:13 PM
I'm not giving anyone anything in that poll. That is from the NCAA book. You asked for the poll and I posted what they had. Maybe you should alert them that something is askew? FAMU did indeed win the first ever I-AA championship. Unfortuanately that was the only HBCU to ever win one.

I saw the logo Grambling is floating around and I think if the final one is anything like it then everyone will be fine with it... but lapsing on the school seal rights??? What's going to happen with that?

I think its all on hold for the time being, I can't elaborate any further at this time. If, I had to guess, the old will be the new. The seal is the easy part to rectify, its losing the G that not going to go down softly.

eaglesrthe1
May 31st, 2005, 07:57 PM
Tech refuse to play on Alcorn campus :rolleyes:

I would like to see something, other than your assertion, to back that up. :rolleyes:

Catmendue2
May 31st, 2005, 09:15 PM
I would like to see something, other than your assertion, to back that up. :rolleyes:

The number 4 team in the nation FAMU in 1999, went on the road for three straight games, Boone NC, Troy, AL and Youngtown, Ohio, so why does this seem so out of the ordinary. It certainly wasn't any secret in the SWAC, nor was it a secret in Mississippi or Louisiana in 1984. But it is one of the main reasons that SWAC teams lost interest in playing in the playoffs. Now I will assert that. :rolleyes:

Fair is Fair.