PDA

View Full Version : Iona Football

Salty Dog
July 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I keep rooting for Iona football. I understand Iona has a strong freshman recruiting class. Does anyone have any information on football at Iona College.

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I keep rooting for Iona football. I understand Iona has a strong freshman recruiting class. Does anyone have any information on football at Iona College.

Sorry, no help here. I wasn't even aware that Iona has a football program. I always thought they were just another of those basketball R us schools like Seton Hall or Providence.

nlwwln
July 10th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Iona is in the MAAC and competes at the 1aa non schollie level. They really arent anything special, not the worst but one of the more mediocre non schollie programs. D3 Rowan would give them a run for their money any day of the week. I think they do have a pretty solid RB whos like a juinor of somethin but otherwise theres really not much else to say about em.

RadMann
July 10th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Iona football team? Who are you, Al Davis? (sorry, bad joke).....

Go...gate
July 10th, 2006, 08:13 PM
I'm glad Iona has hung in there with their program and I hope they continue to do so. The more in I-AA the merrier.

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Iona is in the MAAC

Yeah, I guess I knew that. In fact, Patriot League teams have had some games with Duquesne and Marist of the MAAC over the past few years. Duquesne has proven to be a handful. Marist...well, not so much.

In any event, I seem to remember some MAAC posts over the past few months. Have you tried the Search engine on the toolbar above? If Iona doesn't work out for you, try MAAC.

UNHWILDCATS05
July 10th, 2006, 09:55 PM

UNH played Iona last year and beat them 56-0... and as I recall the game wasn't as close as that sounds.

ccd494
July 10th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Sorry, no help here. I wasn't even aware that Iona has a football program. I always thought they were just another of those basketball R us schools like Seton Hall or Providence.

Yeah, because a small school like Providence (3000 students) using its resources to compete well in the best basketball conference in the country is really similar to a MAAC school half-assing it in both basketball and football :rolleyes:

July 11th, 2006, 01:54 AM
From the 2005 I-AA.org Mag Preview:
Iona Gaels
Stadium/Location: Mazzella Field (2,440), New Rochelle, NY.
Head Coach: Fred Mariani (30-42).
Who’s Back: RB Rudy Arcara, WR Dennis Calacione, OL Greg Latter, P Chris LoFrese, DE David Tash, OL Chris Flosi, OL Chris Berg, DB/KR Brett Sohns, LB Franco Garcia, QB Michael Biehl, FB William Martini.
Who’s Gone: TE Dan Campbell, DL Cedric Johnson, DB Frank Meade, DB John Dugan, LB Kurt Vranich, WR Matt Miller, DL Scott Reinert.
Historical Note: Started football in 1965 and began I-AA play in 1993. In I-AA play, the Gaels have only finished .500 or better three years (1993, 1999, 2003).
Last Year: Iona finished tied for last in the MAAC with a 1-3 league mark and were just 2-8 overall.
This Year: Fourteen starters, including All-MAAC RB Rudy Arcara, from last year return for Coach Mariani in what should be a better season than last.

July 11th, 2006, 02:41 AM
This year's will be up soon

Fordham
July 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah, because a small school like Providence (3000 students) using its resources to compete well in the best basketball conference in the country is really similar to a MAAC school half-assing it in both basketball and football :rolleyes:
eh, I agree that they clearly have not made football a priority but they deserve better than saying that they 1/2 ass hoops. They got matched with eventual runner-up LSU in the 1st round of the tourney this past year and gave them one of the tougher games they had on their run to the championship game. While the MAAC may not be the most elite of hoops conferences, it's still strong overall and while they had a senior laden team this year which likely signals a drop off for next year, Ruland typically has them in contention for an NCAA berth and they're the type of team that at least has a shot to win a game or two in it (v. being a lamb-led-to-slaughter kind of one that oftentimes make up 1st round games).

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:05 AM
they deserve better than saying that they 1/2 ass hoops.

Never said it. Didn't intend it. Reread the post.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Whatever was said, it is fair to say that Iona is pretty good in hoops. I think it is a dollars and cents thing in FB. Too bad they can't get some more Iona Prep kids. That is a perennialy strong HS FB program.

ccd494
July 11th, 2006, 12:35 PM
As a mid-major basketball program and a very poor I-AA football program, their commitment doesn't add up to the commitment of PC or Seton Hall was my point.

Iona Basketball + Iona Football < Providence Basketball

Ivytalk
July 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Iona is LaSalle in a better neighborhood.:rolleyes:

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Sad, but true. The MAAC is in some trouble with Duquesne blowing hot and now cold on football and Marist showing signs of looking for a new home. LaSalle and especially St. Peter's seem to be sitting around waiting for the executioner's axe to fall. Are there any signs that Iona may move to salvage something?

GannonFan
July 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Don't get me started on LaSalle again!!!! ;)

Fordham
July 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM

Never said it. Didn't intend it. Reread the post.:confused: Never quoted you or inferred you said it. Reread the post.

Dane96
July 11th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Ummm...it is actually in a pretty ****ty neighborhood; I used to live across the street from the gym at Iona.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Ummm...it is actually in a pretty ****ty neighborhood; I used to live across the street from the gym at Iona.

No matter. It's still a great line.

Go...gate
July 11th, 2006, 03:39 PM
It wasn't bad in the 1960's and 70's but is not so hot now.

nlwwln
July 11th, 2006, 04:01 PM
No matter. It's still a great line.

cant argue with that