PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium To Host MEAC Game

superman7515
August 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.meacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20800&ATCLID=205587539

The New York Yankees, along with the New York Urban League, will hold a press conference on Wednesday, August 15 at 2:00 p.m., to announce the return of the NYUL Football Classic to Yankee Stadium. Members from the New York Yankees, the NYUL, and participating schools - Hampton University and Morgan State University will be in attendance.

The press conference will be streamed live on www.yankees.com.

In addition to the press conference, the participants will take part in a home plate ceremony prior to the Yankees' 7:05 p.m. game that night vs. the Texas Rangers.

Pard4Life
August 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Patriot League hi-jack in 3, 2, 1:

This announcement may block a future Lafayette-Lehigh game rumored to be in November 2014. This game sounds like more of a draw and stronger attendance... that is if the Classic is successful this year and next.

NHwildEcat
August 15th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Another game at Yankee Stadium I could care less about...

superman7515
August 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The game has been played for over 40 years and was moved to the Meadowlands for a few seasons but is returning to Yankee Stadium. They had been getting over 60,000 a game.

superman7515
August 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Another game at Yankee Stadium I could care less about...

How much less could you care? Just kind of interested so only a little less? Are you really really interested and you could care a lot less?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Patriot League hi-jack in 3, 2, 1:

This announcement may block a future Lafayette-Lehigh game rumored to be in November 2014. This game sounds like more of a draw and stronger attendance... that is if the Classic is successful this year and next.

Seems like a big jump to assume a game announced for November 2012 is going to continue for the next two years. However, I'll be interested in the particulars of the deal.

superman7515
August 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Seems like a big jump to assume a game announced for November 2012 is going to continue for the next two years. However, I'll be interested in the particulars of the deal.

It's been played every season for over 40 years, how is it a big jump to assume it will continue for two more years?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM
It's been played every season for over 40 years, how is it a big jump to assume it will continue for two more years?

No, no, you misunderstand - how long will it be played at Yankee Stadium.

superman7515
August 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Gotcha. I'm hoping something will come out in the press conference about the length of the deal with Yankee Stadium. It was there for the first 15 years but apparently tailgating wasn't allowed at the old Yankee Stadium (anyone know if it's allowed now?) and between fans wanting to tailgate and bad weather messing up the field one year when the Yankees were still playing, they moved to the Meadowlands. Things must have gone well with the Pinstripe Bowl and Rutgers vs Army and they're opening it up a bit. If they are willing to do this game again, the Pinstripe Bowl, and potentially something with Rutgers in the same season then I don't think it would immediately preclude them from Lehigh vs Lafayette, especially if Rutgers doesn't have a game there that season.

BluBengal07
August 15th, 2012, 12:04 PM
interesting find. i hope they can pull a better crowd than they been doing outside of Yankee Stadium.

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2012, 12:14 PM
interesting find. i hope they can pull a better crowd than they been doing outside of Yankee Stadium.

Last year's attendance: 24,996.

BluBengal07
August 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Last year's attendance: 24,996.

i guess that's good. i hope that can brake 30,000 this year.

van
August 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
i guess that's good. i hope that can brake 30,000 this year.

Why would they want to brake attendance?

superman7515
August 16th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Because it's in reverse, so by applying the brakes and getting it going forward again they can get it back up over the 50k-60k they were getting.

The contract was for at least two years because from the press conference sounds like these two teams will be coming back for the game next year at Yankee Stadium as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Because it's in reverse, so by applying the brakes and getting it going forward again they can get it back up over the 50k-60k they were getting.

The contract was for at least two years because from the press conference sounds like these two teams will be coming back for the game next year at Yankee Stadium as well.

I didn't listen to the call, but the press release from the Yankees is suspiciously devoid of future dates.

BluBengal07
August 16th, 2012, 09:23 PM

really.... grow up dude.
that might be close to the total home attendance for a Lehigh's football season. but that's not the focus of this thread.

superman7515
August 16th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Write up from the New York Times...

New York Times - Urban League Football Classic To Be Played At Yankee Stadium (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/sports/urban-league-football-classic-to-be-played-at-yankee-stadium.html?_r=1)

In 1973, George Steinbrenner made a business decision — he bought the Yankees — and a charitable decision. He chose to underwrite the struggling New York Urban League Football Classic.

That allowed money from the game, which had been played at Yankee Stadium since 1971, to finance an Urban League scholarship program.

“He called young people this country’s greatest natural resource, and he felt this strongly about their education and the necessity of their education,” said Hal Steinbrenner, George’s son and the current managing general partner of the team. The game was moved to Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands in 1988, but the scholarships, and Steinbrenner’s influence, continued. Now the game will return to New York this fall at the new Yankee Stadium.

The New York Urban League Football Classic will be played at Yankee Stadium for the first time in 25 years on Nov. 17 and return in 2013, the Yankees will announce at a news conference Wednesday. Morgan State, one of the original teams to participate, and Hampton will play in the two games.

The move may help a cause in which Steinbrenner was instrumental.

Attendance for the game was often about 50,000 until 2001, said Arva Rice, the president and chief executive of the New York Urban League Football Classic. But last year, attendance dipped to about 25,000, Rice said, in a stadium with a capacity of more than 80,000. ....

Sader87
August 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
really.... grow up dude.
that might be close to the total home attendance for a Lehigh's football season. but that's not the focus of this thread.

We are sticklers for punctuation/spelling/grammar in the PL....it can be annoying, I fully understand.

Carry on....I can almost assure you we will be "one and done" in the playoffs and you won't have to deal with us for another year.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 16th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Write up from the New York Times...

New York Times - Urban League Football Classic To Be Played At Yankee Stadium (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/sports/urban-league-football-classic-to-be-played-at-yankee-stadium.html?_r=1)

Thanks for the link to the article. So in 2014, the Yankees will either re-up the Classic or sign up LU/LC. Interesting.

BluBengal07
August 17th, 2012, 06:23 AM
anyways...