PDA

View Full Version : Tulane QB transfers to McNeese

McTailGator
August 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM
We were down to just 3 due to injuries. Tis gives us some breathing room and the kid has some speed and a great arm.

FROM NOLA.Com

Tulane is down to three quarterbacks on the depth chart after backup Leon Blouin IV decided to leave the program. Blouin, a 5-foot-11, 210-pound redshirt freshman out of Dutchtown High School, did not play in Saturday's scrimmage. He hasn't practice much in fall camp either because practice conflicted with a summer class he was taking.

Tulane athletic communicationsTulane quarterback Leon Blouin IV decides to leave Tulane program

His departure leaves Ryan Griffin, the senior returning starter, freshman Devin Powell from O.P. Walker High School, and sophomore walk-on Jordy Joseph as the remaining three quarterbacks in the program. Of the trio, only Griffin has played a snap in college.

Blouin was a three-year letterman at Dutchtown High and was rated a two-star recruit by Rivals.com and Scout.com. As a senior, he was named honorable-mention all-state, first-team All-District 6-5A, all-metro and All-Ascension Parish, and was named District MVP after completing 70 of 118 passes (.593) for 1,054 yards and five touchdowns. He also ran 177 times for 1,129 yards (6.4 avg.) and 12 scores. As a junior, he completed 25 of 77 passes for 429 yards and two touchdowns while running for 170 yards and a score.

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Got anything to verify that? all I see is that he left the program.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2012, 04:15 PM
http://www.sportsnola.com/sports/tulane/586750-dj-ponder-returns-to-tulane-football-program.html

Now you know what we know ;)

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM
lol thanks. I meant that he (Blouin) is for sure going to McNeese

msupokes1
August 14th, 2012, 04:30 PM
"On Wednesday, Blouin's former high school coach, Benny Saia of Dutchtown, told the Baton Rouge Advocate's Scott Hotard that Blouin would transfer to McNeese State." This is all we know. No official comment from school or the player.

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
thanks for that msupokes.

FormerPokeCenter
August 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM
"On Wednesday, Blouin's former high school coach, Benny Saia of Dutchtown, told the Baton Rouge Advocate's Scott Hotard that Blouin would transfer to McNeese State." This is all we know. No official comment from school or the player.

As with ANY transfer after you max out in Pre-season, you can't comment on additions until they actually enroll in school....Tomorrow we find out who's enrolled and who hasn't ;)

McTailGator
August 15th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Official McNeese Press Release

LAKE CHARLES – Leon Blouin IV, a highly touted quarterback out of Dutchtown High School in 2010, has joined the McNeese football team after transferring from Tulane said head coach Matt Viator on Wednesday.

Blouin (BLEW-IN) redshirted as a true freshman in 2011 at Tulane and will have four years of eligibility remaining.

“He’s exciting to watch play,” said Viator. “He’s a great runner and a really good thrower. It’s exciting to get a player of his caliber to join our squad and add some depth to our quarterback unit.”

In high school, Blouin (5-11, 210 pounds) was rated the No. 149 quarterback in the nation by ESPN.com and was rated as a two-star recruit by Rivals.com and Scout.com.

As a senior, he completed 70-of-118 passes (.593) for 1,054 yards and five touchdowns while rushing for 1,129 yards on 177 carries (6.4 avg.) and 12 scores. He earned honorable mention all-state, first team All-District 6-5A, all-metro and All-Ascension Parish honors and was named district MVP.

bjtheflamesfan
August 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the confirmation McTailGator. Lets see how he does. He wont have a ton of time to impress the coaches with the opener only a couple weeks away

dgtw
August 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Should McNeese fans really be excited about a guy who couldn't hack it at Tulane?

McTailGator
August 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM
The fact that he went or was even excepted into Tulane a year means he can hack it in the classroom.

He's a read option QB trying to play in a drop back system. He transfered to McNeese, which runs the read option.

McNeese will have him for 4 years. The kid is an athelete

Check him out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMyfHXJwo6g&feature=related

FormerPokeCenter
August 15th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Me likey! I especially like the fact that he can run...we haven't had that, really, since Derrick Fourroux....Riley Dodge could run, but he wasn't durable....too skinny....this kid's about 20 lbs heavier than Riley Dodge and looks to have decent to better than decent wheels...

DFW HOYA
August 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Wishing him all the best.

The Tulane mention reminds me of Aley Demarest, a former Georgetown QB who tore up the Hoyas' record books in the early 1990's after two years, then decided to transfer to Tulane. He sat out a year, and was still good enough to start for the Green Wave, only to break his collarbone in the fourth week of the season that effectively ended his college career.

http://www.nola.com/tulane/bowlweek/t123198a.html

pokefan02
August 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
I heard that he is a non scholarship player this semester so he should have a fire in him to EARN a ride...and let me add this, any player who wants to play for McNeese and is willing to pay for the opportunity is a winner from day one

813Jag
August 16th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Should McNeese fans really be excited about a guy who couldn't hack it at Tulane?
The kid comes from a solid HS program (Dutchtown) so I know he has the tools to succeed.

LIONFAN07
August 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I heard that he is a non scholarship player this semester so he should have a fire in him to EARN a ride...and let me add this, any player who wants to play for McNeese and is willing to pay for the opportunity is a winner from day one

Any chance this guy could win the starting role this year? Or are you guys set on your starter for 2012?

FormerPokeCenter
August 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
There's ALWAYS A chance...and he'd be a great fit for what we traditionally do on offense...

Word is that Stroud, who's a great drop back passer, has worked on other aspects of his game...and the backup, Tyler Bolfing, has some skills too...

A walk-on from my favorite Louisiana HS, Sulphur, has raised some eyebrows...I don't know how many scrimmages are left for the kid to shine in, but - anything's possible....I think a more probable scenario would be for him to learn the offense and get a chance to shine in a game...