PDA

View Full Version : College Sports Journal 2012 Preseason FCS All-America Team

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 03:21 PM
PHILADELPHIA, PA. — Towson sophomore running back Terrance West, the freshman of the year on the 2011 All-America team, heads up a star-studded group named to the first 2012 College Sports Journal preseason Football Championship Subdivision All-America squad.

Other players who were honored on the 2011 All-America team and are included in the preseason offensive squad include running backs Shakir Bell of Indiana State, Tim Flanders of Sam Houston State and Miguel Maysonet of Stony Brook, fullback Eric Breitenstein of Wofford, all-purpose back Jordan Brown of Bryant, receivers Nicholas Edwards of Eastern Washington, Aaron Mellette of Elon and Ryan Spadola of Lehigh.

Defensive players that were selected to the preseason unit from the 2011 All-America team include defensive ends Ben Obaseki of Indiana State and Blake Oliaro of San Diego, defensive tackle Brent Russell of Georgia Southern, linebackers Matt Evans of New Hampshire, Jeremy Kimbrough of Appalachian State and Keith Pough of Howard, cornerback Marcus Williams of North Dakota State, strong safeties Jordan Dangerfield of Towson and Darnell Taylor of Sam Houston State and free safety Kejuan Riley of Alabama State.

Senior punter Jonathan Plisco of Old Dominion is the lone special teams player from last year's All-America squad to make the preseason team.

See the full story here:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/248-csj-announces-2012-preseason-fcs-all-america-team

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Nice job CSJ.

bjtheflamesfan
August 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
got this to our boys at Athletic COmmunications...thanks for posting

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 05:40 PM
got this to our boys at Athletic COmmunications...thanks for posting

They should have the release. It was sent to all FCS schools and conferences.

SpiritCymbal
August 14th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Found one typo....

2011 College Sports Journal FCS Preseason All-America Team

chattownmocs
August 14th, 2012, 05:49 PM
At the very least wes dothard and joshua williams should ne givens for every all american team in the country at this point.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Found one typo....

Was that the spot referring to the Towson back? I thought that was recognizing that they had correctly called him the freshman of the year last year and that he was on the list again this year? I better go look at that again cuz it caught my eye and then I went..."oh, that makes sense" but maybe it didn't.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Was that the spot referring to the Towson back? I thought that was recognizing that they had correctly called him the freshman of the year last year and that he was on the list again this year? I better go look at that again cuz it caught my eye and then I went..."oh, that makes sense" but maybe it didn't.
Terrence West was an All-American last year, as well as the freshman of the year.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Found one typo....

What are you referring to?

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM
At the very least wes dothard and joshua williams should ne givens for every all american team in the country at this point.

Dothard got serious consideration at ILB and was quite literally one of the last players who failed to make the cut.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM
What are you referring to?

C, you have it labeled as
" 2011 College Sports Journal FCS Preseason All-America Team

First Team

Offense"

Basically the Title of the list is what I think he is referring to.

Mr. C
August 14th, 2012, 09:39 PM
C, you have it labeled as
" 2011 College Sports Journal FCS Preseason All-America Team

First Team

Offense"

Basically the Title of the list is what I think he is referring to.

It isn't labeled that way anymore. Blame the editors ... Thanks, Ursus. You need another job? If that is the only error we made, we did a lot better than a certain other news service that we won't mention.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Found one typo....

That was the error Spirit was talking about Mr. C so give him credit and that kind of stuff slips by me all the time after spending so much time to make sure all is correct those little things always get me.

Luckily, this board is FULL of good editors. I need em'.:D

WrenFGun
August 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Glad to hear about the love for Archer, but it's come out of nowhere! Mr. C, can you comment a bit more on what you've heard about him?

Milktruck74
August 15th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Does the CAA truly have 2 times the talent of the SoCon? or is this a regional bias based on the location of the origin? Please don't consider this a slam, Just a discussion point. Even if I was trying to be unbiased, I couldn't help but load my AA team with southern boys, because that is what I see. I probably would have never noticed (your list looks fair and I can't argue with your selections) but seeing the conference breakdown made me wonder.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Dothard got serious consideration at ILB and was quite literally one of the last players who failed to make the cut.

How many DEs in the country have more than 21.5 sacks in their career?

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 08:52 AM
As far as Dothard goes, 98 tackles 5 FF a TD, 3 time SOCON defensive player of the week, and oh BTW, played beside Ryan Consiglio who led the SOCON with 120 tackles. I love how these publications have actually dropped him down, like Fathead who gave him 1st team post-season honors and 2nd team preseason honors.

asumike83
August 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
As far as Dothard goes, 98 tackles 5 FF a TD, 3 time SOCON defensive player of the week, and oh BTW, played beside Ryan Consiglio who led the SOCON with 120 tackles. I love how these publications have actually dropped him down, like Fathead who gave him 1st team post-season honors and 2nd team preseason honors.

Playing beside a guy who led the conference in tackles probably hurts him in this case. Brandon Grier racked up 97 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 1 INT and 2 sacks last season. He didn't even get an All-Conference mention in 2011 because he was overshadowed by Kimbrough.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Playing beside a guy who led the conference in tackles probably hurts him in this case. Brandon Grier racked up 97 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 1 INT and 2 sacks last season. He didn't even get an All-Conference mention in 2011 because he was overshadowed by Kimbrough.

This.

Writers won't take two players at the same position on the same team in any list, ever.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Dothard wasn't overshadowed by Consiglio. Consiglio was completely disrespected despite being incredible last year. But the fact that Consiglio had 120 tackles at MLB and Dothard still had 98 should tell you a little bit about the production that Dothard is about to put out in 2012 when he moves to MLB.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Dothard is listed as an inside linebacker, not a defensive end. There is always a lot of competition for linebacker. I actually had him on my ballot and he was considered until the final list was finished. He just didn't get quite enough support from others. He was quite literally the last guy off the list.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Dothard is listed as an inside linebacker, not a defensive end. There is always a lot of competition for linebacker. I actually had him on my ballot and he was considered until the final list was finished. He just didn't get quite enough support from others. He was quite literally the last guy off the list.

You don't even know who Joshua Williams is do you?

GlassOnion
August 15th, 2012, 09:21 AM

I googled it, and apparently he's an employment lawyer in Minneapolis.

Why? Were you wrongfully terminated?

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Does the CAA truly have 2 times the talent of the SoCon? or is this a regional bias based on the location of the origin? Please don't consider this a slam, Just a discussion point. Even if I was trying to be unbiased, I couldn't help but load my AA team with southern boys, because that is what I see. I probably would have never noticed (your list looks fair and I can't argue with your selections) but seeing the conference breakdown made me wonder.

It always makes me laugh when people use the regional bias argument. I spent half of my career in California and COVERED the SoCon regularly for 14 years and still see a number of SoCon games live, on TV (getting harder to find with that lousy TV package) and on DVD. I still have a home in SoCon country. I have only spent the past five years in the Philly area, but myself and others voting see all of the teams. We make a lot of effort to grab as many DVDs, go to as many games and watch as many on TV as possible. No organization covering FCS sees as many teams and players as we do. We also have another writer who is based in South Carolina and sees as many DVDs as anyone I know in FCS circles. The numbers are cyclical. Some years recently, it has been the Big Sky leading, others the SoCon. The MVFC has a lot of talent this year as well that will eventually end up in the NFL. A lot factors into the final decisions and just because some guys don't make it doesn't mean that they were not right on the cusp.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I googled it, and apparently he's an employment lawyer in Minneapolis.

Why? Were you wrongfully terminated?

I got this guy

Joshua Williams
http://ci.marshfield.wi.us/police/images/mugshots/WILLIAMS_JOSHUA.jpg

http://ci.marshfield.wi.us/police/warrants/view.htm?id=WILLIAMS_JOSHUA

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Really dumb question from you, but I wouldn't expect less. Williams was looked at, but it is hard to get on the team as a defensive end. He was the highest ranked DE not to make the team. There are already eight other guys who did make it. To be honest, also, UTC will probably have more impact on All-American teams when the Mocs start playing more consistently and winning more games.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I got this guy

Joshua Williams
http://ci.marshfield.wi.us/police/images/mugshots/WILLIAMS_JOSHUA.jpg

http://ci.marshfield.wi.us/police/warrants/view.htm?id=WILLIAMS_JOSHUA

That looks like the type of guy who would help anyone's defense, though you might get a few more personal fouls called on you.

GlassOnion
August 15th, 2012, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=Apphole;1826064]I got this guy

Thats a guy that needs a defense.

Chattown... hello? Chattown...?

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Really dumb question from you, but I wouldn't expect less. Williams was looked at, but it is hard to get on the team as a defensive end. He was the highest ranked DE not to make the team. There are already eight other guys who did make it. To be honest, also, UTC will probably have more impact on All-American teams when the Mocs start playing more consistently and winning more games.

I can't imagine that anyone would not know that this is an individual accolade and not a team thing. Joshua Williams is certainly one of the top 8 defensive Ends in the country. Wes Dothard is absolutely one of the top 12 LBs in America. DJ Key is probably among the top 8 Safeties in the country, and Kadeem Wise is more likely than not one of the top 8 CBs in the country. Chattanooga returns 8 players off of the top defense in the Southern Conference and none of Them are standouts according to you and your little Sports Journal. Well I guess we will see who is laughing when Chattanooga has a top 5 national defense this year.

Oh BTW, this is the first All-American team I have seen without a Chattanooga player on it. Maybe your sports journal is the problem.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Maybe your sports journal is the problem.

Maybe your 5-7 record is the problem...

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Maybe your 5-7 record is the problem...

Chattanooga didn't go 5-7 but I'm impressed that you can repeat what he just said.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I can't imagine that anyone would not know that this is an individual accolade and not a team thing. Joshua Williams is certainly one of the top 8 defensive Ends in the country. Wes Dothard is absolutely one of the top 12 LBs in America. DJ Key is probably among the top 8 Safeties in the country, and Kadeem Wise is more likely than not one of the top 8 CBs in the country. Chattanooga returns 8 players off of the top defense in the Southern Conference and none of Them are standouts according to you and your little Sports Journal. Well I guess we will see who is laughing when Chattanooga has a top 5 national defense this year.

Oh BTW, this is the first All-American team I have seen without a Chattanooga player on it. Maybe your sports journal is the problem.

I guess your team has to prove it on the field, if you think you have one of the top five defenses in the country. Wise was also strongly considered for the team and just missed out. Key is a top-10 free safety, but we only selected three free safeties on the team. The fact that three UTC players were considered, but fell just short doesn't make this an inferior list. And just because a player is on someone else's team doesn't mean we rubber stamp them. If these players have great years, they will make the postseason All-America squad.

Apphole
August 15th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Chattanooga didn't go 5-7 but I'm impressed that you can repeat what he just said.

5-6* My mistake. I guess that makes you a good team then.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
The list of sub-par teams on this list is expansive. If you want to put guys like Demetrius McCray on this team because of what some so-called potential that's fine. A guy who hasn't even learned the position and is lost out there instead of a guy who has been a very good corner for 2 years now and a lock down corner a year ago like Kadeem wise in the same conference, great. Please just don't tell me it was done of careful consideration and not heavy bias.

Milktruck74
August 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
It always makes me laugh when people use the regional bias argument. I spent half of my career in California and COVERED the SoCon regularly for 14 years and still see a number of SoCon games live, on TV (getting harder to find with that lousy TV package) and on DVD. I still have a home in SoCon country. I have only spent the past five years in the Philly area, but myself and others voting see all of the teams. We make a lot of effort to grab as many DVDs, go to as many games and watch as many on TV as possible. No organization covering FCS sees as many teams and players as we do. We also have another writer who is based in South Carolina and sees as many DVDs as anyone I know in FCS circles. The numbers are cyclical. Some years recently, it has been the Big Sky leading, others the SoCon. The MVFC has a lot of talent this year as well that will eventually end up in the NFL. A lot factors into the final decisions and just because some guys don't make it doesn't mean that they were not right on the cusp.

Easy Trigger!!!!! It was just a question. A discussion point. I guess I should have done more research into the background of the source (but then again that might be construed as stalking). I don't think the number of AA's in a conference really shows the strength of the leagues. The league strength isn't made up of those top 6-10 players, but rather those guys doing the grunt work, the middle of the pack kids. With all this said, its a preseason list....with injuries, expulsions, failure to live up to the hype, ect.....Post Season is what really matters.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Easy Trigger!!!!! It was just a question. A discussion point. I guess I should have done more research into the background of the source (but then again that might be construed as stalking). I don't think the number of AA's in a conference really shows the strength of the leagues. The league strength isn't made up of those top 6-10 players, but rather those guys doing the grunt work, the middle of the pack kids. With all this said, its a preseason list....with injuries, expulsions, failure to live up to the hype, ect.....Post Season is what really matters.

I said the same thing about league strength in my post. The number of All-Americans doesn't mean one conference is better than another. And if you are going to claim bias, yes you should have the facts to back that up.

Funny how the only complaints so far are coming from Chattanooga fans.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2012, 04:43 PM
The list of sub-par teams on this list is expansive. If you want to put guys like Demetrius McCray on this team because of what some so-called potential that's fine. A guy who hasn't even learned the position and is lost out there instead of a guy who has been a very good corner for 2 years now and a lock down corner a year ago like Kadeem wise in the same conference, great. Please just don't tell me it was done of careful consideration and not heavy bias.

So obviously all of the teams that have had McCray on them are all wrong. I can tell you that pretty much across most boards, McCray is rated ahead of Wise, by a long shot.

And while we are getting picky, UTC was ranked 13th in yards allows and 17th in scoring defense last season, not fifth. Some of the teams ranked ahead of the Mocs don't have players on the All-America team either.

chattownmocs
August 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
So obviously all of the teams that have had McCray on them are all wrong. I can tell you that pretty much across most boards, McCray is rated ahead of Wise, by a long shot.

And while we are getting picky, UTC was ranked 13th in yards allows and 17th in scoring defense last season, not fifth. Some of the teams ranked ahead of the Mocs don't have players on the All-America team either.

I said they would be ranked in the top 5 this coming season. Oh and by the way they were ranked 1st nationally in pass defense. And who was their top corner? Ole Kadeem Wise. Not a work in progress not a potential guy, an excellent corner from the time he got on the field. The top corner on the best pass defense in the country, held his own if not got the better of every receiver he faced last year including Mellette and Quick. But no you say McCray is "rated" higher, what do you mean? NFL prospect? This aint the NFL, your boy cant even get his head turned around. He gets beat for 250 yards. Hes average at this point.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 15th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I said they would be ranked in the top 5 this coming season.

While we're playing this game, I think Lehigh will be ranked the top 5 in offense, defense, AND special teams.

UNH72Plus
August 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I said they would be ranked in the top 5 this coming season. Oh and by the way they were ranked 1st nationally in pass defense. And who was their top corner? Ole Kadeem Wise. Not a work in progress not a potential guy, an excellent corner from the time he got on the field. The top corner on the best pass defense in the country, held his own if not got the better of every receiver he faced last year including Mellette and Quick. But no you say McCray is "rated" higher, what do you mean? NFL prospect? This aint the NFL, your boy cant even get his head turned around. He gets beat for 250 yards. Hes average at this point.

Part of UTC's #1 pass defense may have something to do with five of your FCS opponents being ranked from 96th to 120th in passing offense.

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Part of UTC's #1 pass defense may have something to do with five of your FCS opponents being ranked from 96th to 120th in passing offense.

Chattanooga played one of the toughest schedules in the country last year. They were number 1 in pass efficiency as well as yardage.

blueballs
August 16th, 2012, 09:56 AM
They were number 1 in pass efficiency as well as yardage.

Not surprising when the schedule contained option teams Georgia Southern, Wofford, and the Citadel (all losses) and WCU, who was pathetic in general .... empty stat caused as much by the schedule as by their "effectiveness."

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM

(UTC was second actually)

Passing Defense

Rank Team G Opp Pass Att Opp Comp Opp Comp Pct Opp Pass Yds/Comp Int Opp Int Pct Opp Pass Yds Opp Pass Yds/Att Opp Pass TD Opp Pass Yds/G Opp Pass Conv
1 Duquesne 11 281 144 51.25 10.64 10 3.56 1532 5.45 9 139.27 0
2 Chattanooga 11 258 139 53.88 11.14 12 4.65 1549 6.00 4 140.82 1
3 Elon 11 267 132 49.44 12.80 8 3.00 1689 6.33 22 153.55 1
4 Central Conn. St. 11 246 138 56.10 12.38 11 4.47 1709 6.95 17 155.36 1
5 Howard 11 310 165 53.23 10.53 14 4.52 1737 5.60 17 157.91 1
6 Texas Southern 11 272 115 42.28 15.55 10 3.68 1788 6.57 17 162.55 0
7 Eastern Ill. 11 267 172 64.42 10.52 4 1.50 1809 6.78 12 164.45 0
8 Jackson St. 11 325 132 40.62 13.75 11 3.38 1815 5.58 8 165.00 0
9 Marist 11 293 182 62.12 9.98 9 3.07 1816 6.20 14 165.09 0
10 South Ala. 10 230 126 54.78 13.25 8 3.48 1670 7.26 14 167.00 0
11 Sacred Heart 11 296 157 53.04 11.80 10 3.38 1853 6.26 18 168.45 0
12 Jacksonville 11 321 177 55.14 10.51 13 4.05 1860 5.79 13 169.09 0
13 Samford 11 288 160 55.56 11.83 13 4.51 1893 6.57 11 172.09 0
14 Bethune-Cookman 11 301 160 53.16 11.99 16 5.32 1919 6.38 14 174.45 0
15 Western Caro. 11 233 139 59.66 13.89 5 2.15 1931 8.29 18 175.55 0
16 Citadel 11 265 173 65.28 11.18 6 2.26 1935 7.30 12 175.91 0
17 Wofford 12 314 199 63.38 10.61 9 2.87 2112 6.73 20 176.00 1
18 Norfolk St. 12 365 185 50.68 11.51 10 2.74 2130 5.84 18 177.50 0
19 Southern Utah 11 317 187 58.99 10.48 9 2.84 1960 6.18 10 178.18 1
20 Stephen F. Austin 11 313 191 61.02 10.30 10 3.19 1968 6.29 15 178.91 0
21 Dartmouth 10 300 189 63.00 9.50 12 4.00 1795 5.98 7 179.50 0
22 Montana St. 13 392 198 50.51 11.91 12 3.06 2358 6.02 19 181.38 2
23 Southeast Mo. St. 11 288 192 66.67 10.47 4 1.39 2010 6.98 14 182.73 0
24 Brown 10 295 175 59.32 10.50 12 4.07 1838 6.23 10 183.80 1
25 Hampton 11 359 185 51.53 10.94 14 3.90 2023 5.64 8 183.91 1
26 Morgan St. 11 278 154 55.40 13.36 12 4.32 2057 7.40 19 187.00 0
27 South Carolina St. 11 363 212 58.40 9.72 17 4.68 2060 5.67 12 187.27 1
28 Coastal Caro. 11 315 182 57.78 11.37 6 1.90 2070 6.57 16 188.18 0
29 Southern U. 11 359 178 49.58 11.75 11 3.06 2092 5.83 10 190.18 2
30 Montana 14 435 241 55.40 11.07 19 4.37 2668 6.13 17 190.57 1
31 Maine 13 392 226 57.65 10.96 19 4.85 2478 6.32 16 190.62 2
32 James Madison 13 379 231 60.95 10.86 14 3.69 2509 6.62 13 193.00 1
33 Furman 11 258 153 59.30 13.92 13 5.04 2130 8.26 14 193.64 0
34 Alabama St. 11 377 199 52.79 10.71 22 5.84 2131 5.65 10 193.73 0
35 McNeese St. 11 324 185 57.10 11.56 15 4.63 2139 6.60 18 194.45 1
36 Richmond 11 324 198 61.11 10.81 6 1.85 2140 6.60 11 194.55 0
37 UNI 13 398 254 63.82 9.97 18 4.52 2532 6.36 12 194.77 0
38 Holy Cross 11 350 193 55.14 11.12 9 2.57 2147 6.13 15 195.18 0
39 N.C. A&T 11 349 206 59.03 10.45 9 2.58 2153 6.17 17 195.73 1
40 Delaware 11 355 193 54.37 11.22 18 5.07 2166 6.10 9 196.91 0
41 North Dakota St. 15 472 269 56.99 11.00 21 4.45 2958 6.27 14 197.20 0
42 Robert Morris 11 282 174 61.70 12.51 6 2.13 2177 7.72 22 197.91 0
43 Eastern Wash. 11 315 204 64.76 10.72 7 2.22 2186 6.94 17 198.73 0
44 Liberty 11 338 192 56.80 11.40 12 3.55 2188 6.47 16 198.91 0
45 Delaware St. 11 279 177 63.44 12.40 7 2.51 2194 7.86 18 199.45 0
46 Ark.-Pine Bluff 11 325 176 54.15 12.53 18 5.54 2206 6.79 17 200.55 0
47 Albany (NY) 12 370 209 56.49 11.55 11 2.97 2413 6.52 20 201.08 0
48 Murray St. 11 346 189 54.62 11.72 9 2.60 2215 6.40 18 201.36 0
49 Western Ill. 11 263 144 54.75 15.41 8 3.04 2219 8.44 24 201.73 0
50 Idaho St. 11 301 172 57.14 12.91 10 3.32 2221 7.38 19 201.91 2

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Not surprising when the schedule contained option teams Georgia Southern, Wofford, and the Citadel (all losses) and WCU, who was pathetic in general .... empty stat caused as much by the schedule as by their "effectiveness."

I would expect that an option team would have a better pass efficiency then a team that passes 30 times a game because of the element of surprise. Chattanooga was at the top in most passing statistics. Mainly because they had DJ Key, Kadeem Wise, Jordan Tippit and Chris Lewis-Harris in the secondary. Opponents better hope the loss of the latter 2 guys really hurts the Mocs because the Mocs are loaded in the front 7.

344Johnson
August 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I would expect that an option team would have a better pass efficiency then a team that passes 30 times a game because of the element of surprise. Chattanooga was at the top in most passing statistics. Mainly because they had DJ Key, Kadeem Wise, Jordan Tippit and Chris Lewis-Harris in the secondary. Opponents better hope the loss of the latter 2 guys really hurts the Mocs because the Mocs are loaded in the front 7.

Option QB's generally don't hang their hat on having a good arm. If Chattanooga had super great efficiency in a balanced or pass-heavy conference, then people would give your team more credit. Not that it matters, they still embarassed themselves last season.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM

The DEs are pretty good this year so I wouldn't say Williams is a given. Same thing at LB. If Chattanooga's defense is top 2 in the SoCon and the team has a winning season then both should definitely be honored in the postseason if they improve from last year.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Maybe then you can finally win a game that actually matters. (for the record that is something I am hoping for Liberty as well)

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
The DEs are pretty good this year so I wouldn't say Williams is a given. Same thing at LB. If Chattanooga's defense is top 2 in the SoCon and the team has a winning season then both should definitely be honored in the postseason if they improve from last year.

I'm still waiting on the list of guys with more than 21.5 sacks in their career. Oh wait, he plays to many option teams. Oh, hold on a minute....

As far as Dothard goes, he was more hyped with last year's group of Lbs than he is with this year's group. How does that make sense?

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM

It's not just about stats but yes he has been very good in his career. I hate to say it but going 5-6 does not help a team get all of the players recognized that they may deserve. The defense was great last year and you see it on preseason All-SoCon teams with Dothard, Wise, Williams, Tull, Key, and I even have Gunner Miller as one of the best outside of the 1st or 2nd team. If the defense has another great year and Dothard, Wise, Williams, or Key are the leaders then I'm going to make sure they are honored in the postseason.

I know you want to see the guys on the All-America list and Dothard and Williams have gotten some attention but with a big year in 2012 you can just about guarantee that they will get the attention come December.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:17 PM
For the record (no pun intended) Chris Gocong is the all time record holder for FCS

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 01:27 PM
For the record (no pun intended) Chris Gocong is the all time record holder for FCS

He also has the NCAA career record with 42. I'm interested to know what the SOCON career record is.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:30 PM

The record can hurt and I tell you a couple other teams with overall records that weren't great but have talent and could complain like you are Illinois State and Youngstown State. I have Dothard on my 3rd team and Williams on my 4th team. One LB nobody is mentioning that I really like is Evan Frierson. He's a good player who has gone unnoticed but I have him on my 3rd team like Dothard.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:32 PM
He also has the NCAA career record with 42. I'm interested to know what the SOCON career record is.

Josh Jefferies, Appalachian State 36.5

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 01:35 PM
The record can hurt and I tell you a couple other teams with overall records that weren't great but have talent and could complain like you are Illinois State and Youngstown State. I have Dothard on my 3rd team and Williams on my 4th team. One LB nobody is mentioning that I really like is Evan Frierson. He's a good player who has gone unnoticed but I have him on my 3rd team like Dothard.

There are also plenty of All Americans from bad teams. That argument doesn't really hold any water. It isn't a team accolade, and I don't believe many voters vote like it is. Now there is clearly favoritism to some teams.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM

One thing I think you are underrating about your team and overrating is that you are putting a little more stock into 1 or 2 players on your defense rather than giving your whole unit credit. You don't have a top 10 pass defense because of one guy but because of the whole unit. I don't think Wise is elite, I think he's good but I think your unit is a great unit. You have to look around and realize that you can have one great player in a bad unit but can also have a lot of very good players to form a great unit and yet not have one player in that unit who is elite.

This is not the NFL. The NFL is where the best players on earth play. If the NFL thinks McCray can play there but don't see Josh Williams as good that tells you something.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:52 PM
There are also plenty of All Americans from bad teams. That argument doesn't really hold any water. It isn't a team accolade, and I don't believe many voters vote like it is. Now there is clearly favoritism to some teams.

There always will be an All-American on a bad team. I still point to everyone about Jacob Bender of Nicholls State who got drafted and was third team All-America at best by outlets but I named him 1st team All-American his senior year. He got drafted and is still playing in the NFL. His offense was not good and his team wasn't either but he was one of the best linemen in the nation that year and despite his record and unit rankings I still named him. That pick has certainly gone well for me and him. He should have gotten more honors.

I'm going to admit two things to you right now that maybe most people don't know that you are overlooking.

1. Postseason teams are named mainly due to production because most voters don't see every player. I can tell you with 1,000% certainty right now that All-America teams done in December is too soon. Not everyone was seen enough by the media so there are players who I named 2nd team last year but have preseason 3rd team because I saw other players and should have honored them. I think if voting for the Payton Award were done now there would be a different winner.

2. Players sometimes are given bias because of team reputation. App State has been a winner and has put DBs in the NFL and on All-America teams on a yearly basis almost. They have earned the bias over the last 7 years and Jerry Moore has his rep from the last 20 or so years of winning he has done. I'm going to go with what I have known from the past and pick players that I know probably have a better shot. McCray is just next in a long line of very good App DBs who earned All-America honors and went to the NFL. Chattanooga is just now starting to show they can be very good and having players worthy of the hype. So maybe McCray is getting some bias but it's not because Coulson or anyone else maybe has had a connection to App in the past but because App has done a better job than Chattanooga. If Dothard, Wise, Williams, and Key all make it in the NFL then I can guarantee and promise you that when they have a guy putting up simliar numbers under the same coach in 2014, 2015, etc. he will get the honors he truly deserves.

chattownmocs
August 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
One thing I think you are underrating about your team and overrating is that you are putting a little more stock into 1 or 2 players on your defense rather than giving your whole unit credit. You don't have a top 10 pass defense because of one guy but because of the whole unit. I don't think Wise is elite, I think he's good but I think your unit is a great unit. You have to look around and realize that you can have one great player in a bad unit but can also have a lot of very good players to form a great unit and yet not have one player in that unit who is elite.

This is not the NFL. The NFL is where the best players on earth play. If the NFL thinks McCray can play there but don't see Josh Williams as good that tells you something.

What was it you always say about BJ Coleman again? Wasn't he the only FCS QB drafted last year? Guess he should have been 1st team All-American right? The NFL is a much different game played at a completely different speed. You need baseline size, speed, strength,etc. etc. to even be considered by the NFL. Now they will overlook other areas of your game that keep you from being a great player in college if they think they can teach that to you in the NFL. As far as I can tell Demetrius Mccray is not a serious NFL draft prospect at this point. Kadeem Wise is a junior and isn't really either. Josh Williams is a 235 lb. defensive end that would never get a shot for that reason.

Mr. C
August 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Again, it seems funny that ONE team's fans are complaining — UTC. Maybe your posters on AGS don't do your team any favors.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I'm still waiting on the list of guys with more than 21.5 sacks in their career. Oh wait, he plays to many option teams. Oh, hold on a minute....

As far as Dothard goes, he was more hyped with last year's group of Lbs than he is with this year's group. How does that make sense?

Greg Peach had 37 or 38 a few years ago when he won the Buchanan for EWU.

Mr. C
August 16th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Peach had 35.5 sacks in his career.

Mr. C
August 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Josh Jefferies, Appalachian State 36.5

You beat me to that one. The No. 58 jersey that Jeffries wore at ASU is hanging in my closet. One of my favorite FCS players.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Gocong's career record is gonna be tough to top

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Willie Jefferson had 17 sacks last year as a backup. Williams started and had about half of those numbers. He's a 3-year starter who has played a lot of snaps. He has had 8.5, 9.5, and 7 sacks in his 3 years. He has yet to put up double digits, unlike about a dozen of guys who return and did last year. Williams is the most consistent because he has played 3 years but I don't think he will have the most career sacks in FCS at the end of the season.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM
What was it you always say about BJ Coleman again? Wasn't he the only FCS QB drafted last year? Guess he should have been 1st team All-American right? The NFL is a much different game played at a completely different speed. You need baseline size, speed, strength,etc. etc. to even be considered by the NFL. Now they will overlook other areas of your game that keep you from being a great player in college if they think they can teach that to you in the NFL. As far as I can tell Demetrius Mccray is not a serious NFL draft prospect at this point. Kadeem Wise is a junior and isn't really either. Josh Williams is a 235 lb. defensive end that would never get a shot for that reason.

I'm not saying McCray is there because of his NFL stock only. He gave up plays to Mellette but he also had a pick against him, too. McCray is better than you think he is. McCray had one of his worst games against UTC. NFL stock is something you way with players but you don't put everything in to that. And the only reason Coleman was the only FCS QB drafted was because Sorensen and Mathews were not seniors. Both of them would have been taken in the 4th-6th round range. They are just as big and Sorensen actually has a better arm than Coleman. I'll bet you anything that Sorensen is taken MUCH higher this year than Coleman was last year unless he is hurt between now and then.

I said Coleman would be drafted late or undrafted and he was one of the last what, 5-10 players taken? If he were 6'3 and his arm was slightly weaker he would not have been drafted. QBs with his size and arm are taken in the 7th round even if they aren't good players. Coleman has the ability to be a good pro but he needs a lot of work.

hidalgo
August 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
1 player from the Northeast conference??? Please Serge Kona was a All-American last year. I think I could of done this by reading a magazine from last year poor research.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
1 player from the Northeast conference??? Please Serge Kona was a All-American last year. I think I could of done this by reading a magazine from last year poor research.

Just because someone was an All-American last year does not mean they will be one again this year. I also don't think Kona is one of the top 6 safeties in FCS this year. He had good numbers but if you watched tape the best safety in the NEC last year was Jose Gumbs.

I agree with CSJ not putting him on their team. Jordan Brown belongs but I think Kona, Larry McCoy, Kadeem Williams, Nolan Nearhoof, and Jon Morgan are all solid players who are in that top 5 just outside of All-America status at this point. I think all of them are good enough though that they could earn their way on this year.

chattownmocs
August 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Dude is ranked 31st among draft eligible Corners(McCray) as a senior. Kadeem Wise is ranked 67th as a junior. Neither are likely to be drafted but I'm not sure that your boy is as great of an NFL prospect as you are proclaiming. He has potential but he is extremely raw. Great size but not exactly Buster Skrine like speed and athletic ability. Skrine is a great example small, but incredible speed and athletic ability. But certainly not a lockdown corner at the college level. Drafted so high because of those combine results.

DPASU
August 17th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Dude is ranked 31st among draft eligible Corners(McCray) as a senior. Kadeem Wise is ranked 67th as a junior. Neither are likely to be drafted but I'm not sure that your boy is as great of an NFL prospect as you are proclaiming. He has potential but he is extremely raw. Great size but not exactly Buster Skrine like speed and athletic ability. Skrine is a great example small, but incredible speed and athletic ability. But certainly not a lockdown corner at the college level. Drafted so high because of those combine results.

It is taking you a long time to get those panties out of a wad...

Make your own list, or just save yourself time and post the choo choo train roster...

hidalgo
August 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Watch the Duquesne Bryant tape last two years.............Larry McCoy or Jordan Brown.........not even a question. McCoy outplayed him and was on the winning side twice.........So Serge got worse over the summer????? It is just bias towards conference. Kona, McCoy,Patterson, Bell will all be in camps next year.

blueballs
August 17th, 2012, 04:51 PM
It is taking you a long time to get those panties out of a wad...

Make your own list, or just save yourself time and post the choo choo train roster...

When the team that one lives and dies by hasn't had a winning record in a couple of decades and is known only for it's collossal chokes that is all one has left to hang one's hat on.

You don't see any NDSU, GSU, SHSU, APP, UNI, Montana guys crying about a pre-season list... you know???

gasoutherneagle
August 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
You don't see any NDSU, GSU, SHSU, APP, UNI, Montana guys crying about a pre-season list... you know???

BING!!! Reps for the Balls.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM
When the team that one lives and dies by hasn't had a winning record in a couple of decades and is known only for it's collossal chokes that is all one has left to hang one's hat on.

I was thinking this a couple of days ago. Wondering why I wasn't at all offended that someone may not have certain Griz guys in the spots that I see them and more importantly why I did not care one bit that they were not on there.

I come up with two things. When you are growing up you see the toughest guy in your neighborhood kicking the piss out of everybody in the neighborhood and you think he's unbeatable. Then one day a guy from another neighborhood kicks the piss out of your tough guy and you can not reconcile it because it goes against what you are certain of...or at least were certain of until that point.

or....

Maybe your guy is the best guy and since it's just trying to predict what's to come it is just not known that he will be better and you may make the wrong call.

Either way, it don't make a bit of difference to me. I just want us to have the best team. It's nice to see one of your guys get recognized and all but seriously how can it matter that much to you that they didn't.

smallcollegefbfan
August 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Based on what? Are you looking at a website? All of these websites had Brian Quick in the 4th-5th round all the way up until a month before the draft. I kept saying he was a late 1st or 2nd round pick because he was in the 2nd round ever since September of his senior year. A lot of websites are late on some things.

I'm guessing you are talking about NFL Draft Scout. I know the guys there and I'm actually good friends with the person who is in charge of the ratings. They are sand bagging on some guys right now. Those ratings will look very different here in a few weeks. Just so you know how close I am with the guy I'm actually the one who tipped him off on McCray early. They have Mellette rated very high based on feedback from myself and some NFL scouts.

I remember when the Winston-Salem State DE went to the Titans in the 4th round and none of the draft websites had him rated high. Cox from W&M went to Jax in the 3rd round and I think NFLDS had him in the 40s on their board. My point is just because a player is rated high by them does not mean the NFL does not like them.

smallcollegefbfan
August 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Watch the Duquesne Bryant tape last two years.............Larry McCoy or Jordan Brown.........not even a question. McCoy outplayed him and was on the winning side twice.........So Serge got worse over the summer????? It is just bias towards conference. Kona, McCoy,Patterson, Bell will all be in camps next year.

Kona didn't get worse but my point before was that media outlets don't see everyone as quick as you think meaning that Kona should not have been an All-American last year. Now, I have him on my preseason list this year but even folks in the NEC I talked to said he is good but not as good as Gumbs and just a product of good numbers.

They all may get a tryout but I just don't see them all getting in a camp. I think Kona and McCoy will but I don't think Patterson has quite the NFL arm strength yet. I'm definitely going to check them all out this fall though because all of those guys are close enough that they could earn the type of grade where scouts may sign them. If Duquesne has 4 NFL caliber players on their team then that means they should win the NEC for sure. Do you think you guys will win the NEC?

smallcollegefbfan
August 18th, 2012, 12:00 AM

Exactly, because all of you guys know that when the year is over if these guys deserve it they will have big years and get honored.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 18th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Kona didn't get worse but my point before was that media outlets don't see everyone as quick as you think meaning that Kona should not have been an All-American last year. Now, I have him on my preseason list this year but even folks in the NEC I talked to said he is good but not as good as Gumbs and just a product of good numbers.

They all may get a tryout but I just don't see them all getting in a camp. I think Kona and McCoy will but I don't think Patterson has quite the NFL arm strength yet. I'm definitely going to check them all out this fall though because all of those guys are close enough that they could earn the type of grade where scouts may sign them. If Duquesne has 4 NFL caliber players on their team then that means they should win the NEC for sure. Do you think you guys will win the NEC?

To be fair, Duquesne might actually take the NEC this year. They're certainly in the mix.

smallcollegefbfan
August 18th, 2012, 12:23 PM
To be fair, Duquesne might actually take the NEC this year. They're certainly in the mix.

They should. I have them and Albany up there in the ratings. Patterson will have to have another big year but they do have the talent to do it.

Mr. C
August 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM

I don't know of anyone who ranks McCoy ahead of Bryant. And when you are talking about matchups between teams, remember Brown is running against a different defense than McCoy is, so that isn't necessarily a great way to compare things. Brown also averaged 5.52 yards per carry with 19 touchdowns and 1,815 yards rushing. McCoy had a 4.8 average, 12 TDs and 1,381 yards. That is a big difference. Also, Brown was named to the team as an all-purpose back and there is no question he is one of the top all-purpose players in the country. He had 2,500 all-purpose yards as a running back, receiver and returnman. McCoy is solely a running back. He only had 24 receiving yards and no return yardage. McCoy is one of the top backs in FCS, but he is not as versatile as Brown.