PDA

View Full Version : Conference Previews

FanofFCS
August 14th, 2012, 11:56 AM
TSN started a series today for FCS conference previews:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/previews/2012/conf.aspx?c=bigsky

Conference-by-conference list of dates at the bottom.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Great Rest getting the snub butthurt in 3.....2.....1

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM
This guy doesn't know ****. For one thing UND is not the Sioux. Secondly the snubbing of the GWFC teams shows how ignorant this guy is.
UC Davis, Cal Poly, North Dakota and Southern Utah have come aboard from the disbanded Great West Football Conference, but none is expected to get in Montana State's way We will see about that at the end of the season. They have UND at #7 thats fine. UND will just have to prove this joker wrong.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2012, 01:40 PM
This guy doesn't know ****. For one thing UND is not the Sioux. Secondly the snubbing of the GWFC teams shows how ignorant this guy is. We will see about that at the end of the season. They have UND at #7 thats fine. UND will just have to prove this joker wrong.

Called it.

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Called it.

Well why shouldn't I stand up for conference foes. Its easy to take a conference like the GWFC and stick 4 teams at the bottom of the BSC. Kinda like sticking NDSU and SDSU towards the middle or bottom of the MVFC in 2008. The GWFC gained no respect they think the conference and the teams in it was a total joke. We were no better than an FCS Independent league. Well newsflash the GWFC beat ranked teams, beat FBS teams, and can make some noise in conferences with a full slate of DI teams like NDSU and SDSU did. So am I wrong?

Ginsbach
August 14th, 2012, 01:46 PM
This guy doesn't know ****. For one thing UND is not the Sioux. Secondly the snubbing of the GWFC teams shows how ignorant this guy is. We will see about that at the end of the season. They have UND at #7 thats fine. UND will just have to prove this joker wrong.

... by finishing the season at #9. ;)

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
... by finishing the season at #9. ;)

Sorry UND is not ISU.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Well why shouldn't I stand up for conference foes. Its easy to take a conference like the GWFC and stick 4 teams at the bottom of the BSC. Kinda like sticking NDSU and SDSU towards the middle or bottom of the MVFC in 2008. The GWFC gained no respect they think the conference and the teams in it was a total joke. We were no better than an FCS Independent league. Well newsflash the GWFC beat ranked teams, beat FBS teams, and can make some noise in conferences with a full slate of DI teams like NDSU and SDSU did. So am I wrong?

Except the year before MVFC membership, NDSU went 14-1 including 2-0 against FBS teams, they didn't claw their way to 8 wins on the back of 3 NAIA teams. Forgive us if we think you haven't really been tested to any great extent.

Yes, this is still about the Big Sky, but Darrell always has to make it a NDSU thing.

Ginsbach
August 14th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sorry UND is not ISU.

You're right - ISU has won a I-AA/FCS championship, hahaha.

9th place in the Big Sky is pretty optimistic for ISU this year, but I have a feeling that with Yost and Rumble both being seniors the team may surprise a few others this season.

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
You're right - ISU has won a I-AA/FCS championship, hahaha.

How many decades ago was that? I do remember ISU losing to UND in 2008 (our first win against a DI team since leaving DII).

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Except the year before MVFC membership, NDSU went 14-1 including 2-0 against FBS teams, they didn't claw their way to 8 wins on the back of 3 NAIA teams. Forgive us if we think you haven't really been tested to any great extent.

Yes, this is still about the Big Sky, but Darrell always has to make it a NDSU thing.

Actually I made it a GWFC thing. I did not single out NDSU did I? All I am saying is SDSU made the playoffs in 2 years since leaving the Great West while NDSU won a playoff game three years out of the GW and a NC 4 years out. The GW wasn't a bad conference but these pollsters make it out to be.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Actually I made it a GWFC thing. I did not single out NDSU did I? All I am saying is SDSU made the playoffs in 2 years since leaving the Great West while NDSU won a playoff game three years out of the GW and a NC 4 years out. The GW wasn't a bad conference but these pollsters make it out to be.

You're right. The Great West was a good conference. That's why I keep call you guys the Great Rest. After the xDSU's left, it wasn't much.

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 06:16 PM
You're right. The Great West was a good conference. That's why I keep call you guys the Great Rest. After the xDSU's left, it wasn't much.

I thought it wasn't much after UNC left.:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 14th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Cal Poly will not finish #9 in the Big Sky...no way!

darell1976
August 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cal Poly will not finish #9 in the Big Sky...no way!

I think they will be #1 or #2.

GoAgs72
August 14th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I'm not losing any sleep over these predictions. We will have a clearer picture after this season is over. The relative strengths of each conference member may actually take several years since we don't all play each other each year.

coover
August 14th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Darrell has had something to say on this thread and I do not believe he is very far from the actual truth. I think North Dakota will have a fine Big Sky season this year, and Poly, rated at 9th, will not finish anywhere near the bottom. I'm not so sure how they would do with the top three this year, but they don't play the top three this year (with the exception of Eastern Washington, but that is a non-conference game).

As far as Poly goes, it is feasible that they end up with an 8-0 Conference record this year. They may not, but the games have yet to be played. And North Dakota is going to be a fine team and will certainly win more than they lose in league play. Playing North Dakota in Grand Forks this year will be difficult for all, my Mustangs included.

I suspect that this year the Big Sky will have 4 or more playoff teams. And both North Dakota and Cal Poly will be strong candidates. In fact, Cal Poly MAY win the league title outright, in which case it would not be a playoff candidate, it would be the Conference's automatic qualifier.

Why do all the polls have Cal Poly low in the standings? Because Poly has only 4 Offensive and 3 Defensive starters returning. But those of us who have some knowledge of the team realize that Poly has substantial talent, this year, at the 15 positions of the former starters. They come in the form of transfers, players redshirted last year, players that had as much time on the field last year as the starters, and new recruits.

And downgrading a school because it came from the Great West is absolutely crazy. Year after year after year, the Great West was rated as one of the best FCS comferences in the nation, sometimes a little better than the Big Sky and sometimes a little worse ... but virtually similar in strength. The only difference was the number of teams. Yes, the Great West had no U Montana or Eastern Washington. But the Big Sky didn't have a Cal Poly or any of the Dakota Schools. I'd guess if you did the research and checked the record of Great West teams vs. Big Sky teams over the last 5 or 6 years, you'd probably end up with a near .500 record for both leagues.

So Darrell ... keep telling us how good North Dakota is. After all, they are good. Go Green and White and Gold.

UNDColorado
August 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Darrell has had something to say on this thread and I do not believe he is very far from the actual truth. I think North Dakota will have a fine Big Sky season this year, and Poly, rated at 9th, will not finish anywhere near the bottom. I'm not so sure how they would do with the top three this year, but they don't play the top three this year (with the exception of Eastern Washington, but that is a non-conference game).

As far as Poly goes, it is feasible that they end up with an 8-0 Conference record this year. They may not, but the games have yet to be played. And North Dakota is going to be a fine team and will certainly win more than they lose in league play. Playing North Dakota in Grand Forks this year will be difficult for all, my Mustangs included.

I suspect that this year the Big Sky will have 4 or more playoff teams. And both North Dakota and Cal Poly will be strong candidates. In fact, Cal Poly MAY win the league title outright, in which case it would not be a playoff candidate, it would be the Conference's automatic qualifier.

Why do all the polls have Cal Poly low in the standings? Because Poly has only 4 Offensive and 3 Defensive starters returning. But those of us who have some knowledge of the team realize that Poly has substantial talent, this year, at the 15 positions of the former starters. They come in the form of transfers, players redshirted last year, players that had as much time on the field last year as the starters, and new recruits.

And downgrading a school because it came from the Great West is absolutely crazy. Year after year after year, the Great West was rated as one of the best FCS comferences in the nation, sometimes a little better than the Big Sky and sometimes a little worse ... but virtually similar in strength. The only difference was the number of teams. Yes, the Great West had no U Montana or Eastern Washington. But the Big Sky didn't have a Cal Poly or any of the Dakota Schools. I'd guess if you did the research and checked the record of Great West teams vs. Big Sky teams over the last 5 or 6 years, you'd probably end up with a near .500 record for both leagues.

So Darrell ... keep telling us how good North Dakota is. After all, they are good. Go Green and White and Gold.

Well said, I think Poly and UND are going to surprise some of the 'good ole boys' on this board. We will know by their silence or constant need to try to spin the results. Time will tell. Also, the Poly @ UND game this year is going to be huge for both teams and I can't wait!

bobcathpdevil56
August 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Most excited I have ever been for a Big Sky Conference Season.

Ginsbach
August 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Cal Poly is going to have a great year and I think the stage is set for them to win the conference or, at the very least, get a playoff berth.

UND has never shown me anything that leads me to believe that they will challenge for one of the top spots in the conference this season.

darell1976
August 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Cal Poly is going to have a great year and I think the stage is set for them to win the conference or, at the very least, get a playoff berth.

UND has never shown me anything that leads me to believe that they will challenge for one of the top spots in the conference this season.

How much UND football have you seen? I hope you have seen more than the 2008 UND-ISU game.

Ginsbach
August 15th, 2012, 06:18 PM
How much UND football have you seen? I hope you have seen more than the 2008 UND-ISU game.

Well, considering I grew up in Hankinson and did my undergrad at NDSU before coming to ISU to work on my masters, quite a bit.

darell1976
August 15th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Well, considering I grew up in Hankinson and did my undergrad at NDSU before coming to ISU to work on my masters, quite a bit.

Yeah I would say so.:D