PDA

View Full Version : WAC/Big Sky talks back on

dgreco
August 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/08/12/2228640/vandals-need-a-conference-decision.html

This is the first time I am seeing this. Can some explain how this would work, logistically, and if there has been any ideas of who ends up where. Also, would the WAC FB schools stay FB Independents or drop down to FCS?

coover
August 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Evidently the WAC - Big Sky talks do not involve football.

Squealofthepig
August 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evidently the WAC - Big Sky talks do not involve football.

Yeah, the pertinent part from the article which makes this non-Football:

As for the Vandals’ other sports teams, Nellis said the WAC has restarted talks with the Big Sky about an alliance that would involve some teams moving from the Big Sky to the WAC for non-football sports.

dgreco
August 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
So does that mean WAC football goes away? Does it mean Idaho stays FBS independent or go back to FCS? I know no one has a definite answer, but what have the mumblings been?

Lehigh Football Nation
August 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I just don't see how Idaho (and NMSU) will get four home games apiece to stay in FBS in 2013. Currently the Vandals have 1 (NIU) and the Aggies have 0. They'll play each other, certainly.

They might remain in the WAC in all sports but football, and struggle as independents in FCS or FBS, or maybe the Big Sky as associate members.

dgtw
August 12th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Idaho hosts NMSU this year, so it would be their turn to play them on the road in 2013.

If the two leagues got together, you could have this setup....

Big Sky
Seattle
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
North Dakota

WAC
CSU Sacramento
Weber State
Southern Utah
Northern Colorado
Denver
New Mexico State
Northern Arizona

If Boise State wants back in instead of joining another league, I guess they'd fit in with the Big Sky, although that would leave the leagues unbalanced.

Sec310
August 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM
The NCAA has/had an attendance and stadium requirement for 1A. Idaho never met the stadium requirement but some how kept 1A status. I don't recall the NCAA expelling a school from 1A for failing to meet attendance and/or stadium requirements. If the NCAA has a rule but doesn't enforce the rule, they need to change the rule or start enforcing the rule.

The WAC needs to make a decision about their future within the next two weeks. The most likely scenario is the WAC stops sponsoring football, then adding Bakersfield and Utah Valley as full members, then forming this alliance with the Big Sky with the two "conferences" looking like.

WAC
Idaho
New Mexico St.
Denver
Seattle
Bakersfield
Utah Valley

Northern Arizona
Portland St.
Sac. St.

Big Sky
Montana
Montana St.
Eastern Washington
Idaho St.
North Dakota
Northern Colorado
Southern Utah
Weber St.

CopperCat
August 12th, 2012, 11:37 PM
I thought the big sky made it perfectly clear that they didn't want to move to the WAC when they added all the great west teams to strengthen the conference. But I guess if people still think it is a relevant topic then so be it.

Sec310
August 12th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I thought the big sky made it perfectly clear that they didn't want to move to the WAC when they added all the great west teams to strengthen the conference. But I guess if people still think it is a relevant topic then so be it.

You do realize this has nothing to do with Big Sky schools moving up to WAC football. It's about keeping the WAC AQ for March Madness!!

DSUrocks07
August 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
You do realize this has nothing to do with Big Sky schools moving up to WAC football. It's about keeping the WAC AQ for March Madness!!

This is about the potential birth of a "Big Sky Football"entity (ala CAA Football). Which would also open the door for Idaho to enter as an affiliate member.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Squealofthepig
August 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM
This is about the potential birth of a "Big Sky Football"entity (ala CAA Football).

No, it's not. I even highlighted the pertinent bit for those with deficient reading comprehension, so here is the pertinent bit, again, with a subtle highlight:

As for the Vandals’ other sports teams, Nellis said the WAC has restarted talks with the Big Sky about an alliance that would involve some teams moving from the Big Sky to the WAC for non-football sports.

UNDColorado
August 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
This also could be looked at in the long term as a way of keeping a back door open to FBS football. Who really knows at this point other than trying to keep up with all of this is a chore.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM
This is about the potential birth of a "Big Sky Football"entity (ala CAA Football). Which would also open the door for Idaho to enter as an affiliate member.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

No, it's not. I even highlighted the pertinent bit for those with deficient reading comprehension, so here is the pertinent bit, again, with a subtle highlight:

Read that again. He's saying that there could be a "CAA Football" (or "MVFC Football") entity that is an affiliate of the Big Sky Conference that houses all the football teams at the FCS level. 12 teams, 8 full Big Sky members, 4 affiliate members (Cal Poly, UC Davis, New Mexico State, Idaho).

There has to be some quid-pro-quo going on with the WAC on something. What else could it possibly be? The WAC is desperate to simply survive. Why else would the Big Sky be helping the WAC, a conference whom was trying to raid its members as recently as six months ago?

Idaho and NMSU are in a real pickle. It's going to be near-impossible for them to compete as independents. I don't think they'll get the three games necessary in order to remain FBS, and even if they somehow scrape together a deal for one year it's clearly unsustainable long-term.

darell1976
August 13th, 2012, 11:58 AM
This also could be looked at in the long term as a way of keeping a back door open to FBS football. Who really knows at this point other than trying to keep up with all of this is a chore.

And since UND is a member of both the Big Sky and the WAC (swimming) this could work out good for UND when the time arrives for the FBS study (IMO 10-20 years).

BearsCountry
August 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Essentially WAC needs two members from the Big Sky that plays baseball - Sacramento State, Northern Colorado, and North Dakota. Not to mention this would help schools because you would be spliting NCAA Tournament money 9 ways instead of 11.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 13th, 2012, 02:54 PM
The WAC can suck our Big Sky.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Some of you guys are not seeing the long game here. If the WAC and BSC work out a deal it will benefit everyone across the board and could be looked back upon as one the smartest moves the BSC ever made in 10 yrs. if things keep evolving in the conferences.

Sec310
August 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The football plans are long term, and only if Idaho and New Mexico St. drop down a level. The WAC needs to get a conference together to save their AQ for hoops. A mid major losing an AQ in hoops, doesn't mean an opening for another middle major, it means the 12th place Big East or ACC team will get that bid that went to the WAC.

Once the WAC is stabilized for Olympic sports, they will worry about football-whether that means the Idaho and New Mexico St. drop down or some Big Sky schools move up.