PDA

View Full Version : Hey Texas I-AA fans I need some help

paytonlives
July 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
As some of you know I moved down here from Missoula in December. Haven't been to any Texas football games (I am really going to enjoy Friday nights) and intend to make some weekend trips out of this fall to some college I-AA games. I live near Conroe TX and want to know which stadium / game I should be looking to attend.

PS Are there any Louisiana venues I should try? Ive already got LSU (IA) on my radar.

TexasTerror
July 8th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Your in a great location...

SHSU plays Texas St-San Marcos to end the season off. You'll probably get to meet quite a few AGS posters that weekend from both institutions. That's November 18th...

Another nice I-AA matchup featuring schools with nice AGS involvement is when SHSU plays McNeese in Huntsville on October 28th.

Grambling vs Houston is this fall. A nice I-A vs I-AA matchup...

There's Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M. That's a Classic game not too far away. That's at Reliant Stadium on Sept 2nd.

Lake Charles isn't too long a trip if you want to go visit McNeese...and I'm here in New Orleans, about a six hour drive for you, close enough to Southeastern Louisana and Nicholls St...

Texas St-San Marcos is a few hour drive away as well if you want to see the Bobcats play...and SFA isn't more than two and a half hours from you either...

blackfordpu
July 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Your in a great location...

SHSU plays Texas St-San Marcos to end the season off. You'll probably get to meet quite a few AGS posters that weekend from both institutions. That's November 18th...

Another nice I-AA matchup featuring schools with nice AGS involvement is when SHSU plays McNeese in Huntsville on October 28th.

Grambling vs Houston is this fall. A nice I-A vs I-AA matchup...

There's Texas Southern vs Prairie View A&M. That's a Classic game not too far away. That's at Reliant Stadium on Sept 2nd.

Lake Charles isn't too long a trip if you want to go visit McNeese...and I'm here in New Orleans, about a six hour drive for you, close enough to Southeastern Louisana and Nicholls St...

Texas St-San Marcos is a few hour drive away as well if you want to see the Bobcats play...and SFA isn't more than two and a half hours from you either...

Sam Houston is definetly his closest venue though. Many great games can be seen this season at Bowers. Come on out!:nod:

paytonlives
July 8th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Sam Houston is definetly his closest venue though. Many great games can be seen this season at Bowers. Come on out!:nod:

I just added SHS and Texas State Nov 18th game to my schedule. And Im leaning toward adding SHS vs McNeese on Oct 28th.

Gotta love $10.00 tickets!!!!

HPCAT
July 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
As some of you know I moved down here from Missoula in December. Haven't been to any Texas football games (I am really going to enjoy Friday nights) and intend to make some weekend trips out of this fall to some college I-AA games. I live near Conroe TX and want to know which stadium / game I should be looking to attend.

PS Are there any Louisiana venues I should try? Ive already got LSU (IA) on my radar.

You have an open invitation to come join Bobcat fans from TEXAS STATE for a tailgating atmosphere that has really taken off with the success of last year's playoff run.

If you liked any of what you saw on the three ESPN games last year, come out and enjoy in person.

A lot of schools talk about their hot girls, well, I will let you be the judge when you visit campus.

Some of the local Houston fans carpool to the games, so that may be an option for you, but I prefer to not have to drive far after the game, and take in some shopping at one of the largest outlet malls in the nation, as well as some river action, before I head back.

If you like BBQ, send me your email address and I will let you know when my team cooks locally in Houston.

paytonlives
July 8th, 2006, 08:14 PM
You have an open invitation to come join Bobcat fans from TEXAS STATE for a tailgating atmosphere that has really taken off with the success of last year's playoff run.

If you liked any of what you saw on the three ESPN games last year, come out and enjoy in person.

A lot of schools talk about their hot girls, well, I will let you be the judge when you visit campus.

Some of the local Houston fans carpool to the games, so that may be an option for you, but I prefer to not have to drive far after the game, and take in some shopping at one of the largest outlet malls in the nation, as well as some river action, before I head back.

If you like BBQ, send me your email address and I will let you know when my team cooks locally in Houston.

September 19th NORTHERN COLORADO (New Big Sky) ADDED
$12.00 Tickets IM IN

kats89
July 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM
If you want to see the newest member of the Southland, Univ of Central Arkansas, make a trip to Huntsville in October they will be in town taking on the Kats.

If you do come up, you are more than welcome to attend our tailgate. You can't miss our spot. Look for the big, blue BBQ rig with two KATS Flags flying. I will pm you with my email.

paytonlives
July 8th, 2006, 08:43 PM
If you want to see the newest member of the Southland, Univ of Central Arkansas, make a trip to Huntsville in October they will be in town taking on the Kats.

If you do come up, you are more than welcome to attend our tailgate. You can't miss our spot. Look for the big, blue BBQ rig with two KATS Flags flying. I will pm you with my email.

Sweet, its only a 40 minute drive from my house and I know I'm comming to the McNeese and Texas State game.

THANKS

blackfordpu
July 8th, 2006, 10:49 PM

Can't wait for the season to start so mrs. bfp can enjoy your fine tailgating too 89. :nod:

catbob
July 8th, 2006, 10:59 PM
Did you forget what game is the 18th???

CrunchGriz
July 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM

While I'm sure you're going to see some great football down in Texas/Louisiana, I'll bet you'd rather see the Griz.

I live in Beaverton, Oregon, and I got tired of trying to find the Griz games via satellite at the local bars, so I put up my own satellite dish to catch the games. If you have some skills (not a lot, really) you can put up your own Griz Dish (tm) for around $350, and watch all the games that the local Missoula stations put up on the satellites (ten this year). For around $200 more, you can have someone else put it up for you.

Just a thought. Let me know if you'd like to learn how. I'm not in this to make money, just to help fellow refugee Griz fans.

McTailGator
July 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM

We'd love to have you in Lake Charles for a McNeese game. Only about 2.5 hours from Houston. And I will be flying into Houston every week from Chicago to attend McNeese games, so if you need a ride let me know and I'll be glad to pick you up and carry you along with me.

DaGriz
July 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
While I'm sure you're going to see some great football down in Texas/Louisiana, I'll bet you'd rather see the Griz.

I live in Beaverton, Oregon, and I got tired of trying to find the Griz games via satellite at the local bars, so I put up my own satellite dish to catch the games. If you have some skills (not a lot, really) you can put up your own Griz Dish (tm) for around $350, and watch all the games that the local Missoula stations put up on the satellites (ten this year). For around $200 more, you can have someone else put it up for you.

Just a thought. Let me know if you'd like to learn how. I'm not in this to make money, just to help fellow refugee Griz fans.

What kind of dish do you need to do that? I assume my direcTV dish won't work. What else is involved?

CrunchGriz
July 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
What kind of dish do you need to do that? I assume my direcTV dish won't work. What else is involved?

You need:

1. A KU band dish, which is a bit bigger dish than the Dish/DirecTV-size dishes. Mine, for example, is a .8 meter dish, which works out to around 31 inches (these dishes come with the post and the mount for either the side of your house, your deck, or your roof);

2. A dish motor mount, which turns the dish to face the desired satellite (UM/KPAX does not always put the signal up on the same bird, so the dish has to be able to move to find the right satellite);

3. A digital KU receiver (it appears that KPAX has gone strictly this route, as analog KU is a dying technology, and KPAX put up the last season's worth of games in this format); and

4. Sufficient cabling to reach from your receiver to your dish.

Like I said above, I got a package including all of these items (minus the cabling, which I got from the installer) for under $350, and it works great. We have a whole crew of local Griz fans coming to our house on Saturdays in the fall now, and while I had to pay the initial bill on the dish, I figure that eventually I'll make it up because we now can eat great pot luck instead of overpriced bar food/drink each Saturday.

Assuming, of course, that KPAX doesn't change technologies on us again, as they did when they went from analog to digital (which threw the far-flung Griz faithful into a tizzy last year when their local pubs couldn't find the game using their analog equipment).

paytonlives
July 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
You need:

1. A KU band dish, which is a bit bigger dish than the Dish/DirecTV-size dishes. Mine, for example, is a .8 meter dish, which works out to around 31 inches (these dishes come with the post and the mount for either the side of your house, your deck, or your roof);

2. A dish motor mount, which turns the dish to face the desired satellite (UM/KPAX does not always put the signal up on the same bird, so the dish has to be able to move to find the right satellite);

3. A digital KU receiver (it appears that KPAX has gone strictly this route, as analog KU is a dying technology, and KPAX put up the last season's worth of games in this format); and

4. Sufficient cabling to reach from your receiver to your dish.

Like I said above, I got a package including all of these items (minus the cabling, which I got from the installer) for under $350, and it works great. We have a whole crew of local Griz fans coming to our house on Saturdays in the fall now, and while I had to pay the initial bill on the dish, I figure that eventually I'll make it up because we now can eat great pot luck instead of overpriced bar food/drink each Saturday.

Assuming, of course, that KPAX doesn't change technologies on us again, as they did when they went from analog to digital (which threw the far-flung Griz faithful into a tizzy last year when their local pubs couldn't find the game using their analog equipment).

I will be looking into this. I have in the past when I was working in Missoula on Saturdays, I watched on the internet, high speed seems to come in well.

Thanks again and Yes nothing can replace the Griz live in Wa-Griz Stadium.

paytonlives
July 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Did you forget what game is the 18th???

Crap- I guess SHS vs. TSU is out!!!

Sly Fox
July 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM
I would suggest you head down to Reliant Stadium on September 2nd for the annual TSU-PVU matchup. The quality of football may not blow you away, but its a great event that will give you a nice feel of SWAC atmosphere. The Ocean of Soul is worth the price of admission by itself and if you haven't been in the best football stadium in America, you'll be blown away.

Of course, you are also not far from College Station and the Aggies are hosting The Citadel the same night up at Kyle Field.

And I agree with the others who say you really need to get to the Texas State-Sam Houston matchup.

As for Friday nights, The Woodlands play their home games right there in Conroe. The Highlanders are a must for you to get the Texas high school experience considering where you have landed.

paytonlives
July 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I would suggest you head down to Reliant Stadium on September 2nd for the annual TSU-PVU matchup. The quality of football may not blow you away, but its a great event that will give you a nice feel of SWAC atmosphere. The Ocean of Soul is worth the price of admission by itself and if you haven't been in the best football stadium in America, you'll be blown away.

Of course, you are also not far from College Station and the Aggies are hosting The Citadel the same night up at Kyle Field.

And I agree with the others who say you really need to get to the Texas State-Sam Houston matchup.

As for Friday nights, The Woodlands play their home games right there in Conroe. The Highlanders are a must for you to get the Texas high school experience considering where you have landed.

I watched the Highlander baseball team this spring several times and was STUNNED by the quality of baseball. I will be watching them. Do you mean that they play at the Conroe High stadium on 105?

paytonlives
July 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Montana vs. Montana State is the same day. Played at the same time.

THAT SUCKS

JohnStOnge
July 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM

I do think you should go to an LSU game if you have the chance. Make it an all-day thing though where you just park your car somewhere and get alternative transportation into the tailgage area then go to the game though.

If you want to go to a McNeese game I don't know if you should try going to the South Dakota State game on 9/30, the Texas State game on 10/14, or the SFA game on 10/21. If McNeese manages to beat either South Florida or Toledo I'd be at the South Dakota State game. If the more likely scenario developes in which McNeese loses to both the Rockets and Bulls, Texas State may be big because it's the opening of conference play against the defending co-champ. SFA is a rivalry.

I think that many people would also tell you you need to go to a Texas A&M game. It should be about a 60 to 70 mile drive from Conroe and it's a shrine of college football with a bunch of unique traditions.

And if you're willing to go all the way to Baton Rouge for a game day experience maybe you should also think about University of Texas at Austin. Austin has a reputation as a real fun town and you're talking about the defending BCS champion.

JohnStOnge
July 9th, 2006, 05:54 PM

If you're willing to drive the 320 or so miles to Baton Rouge to go to an LSU game I think you'll find it quite an experience.

If you're interested in McNeese games at Lake Charles (about 180 miles driving), I'd pick South Dakota State if the Cowboys manage to upset either South Florida or Toledo. If not it'd be between Texas State...which would be the conference opener against the defending semifinalist...or SFA...which is a rivalry game.

One thing you might want to look into is going to a Texas A&M game. That's only about a 70 mile drive and it's a shrine of college football with some unique traditions. Loud. Then there's University of Texas. You could go see the defending BCS champ and Austin has a reputation for being a really nice party town. It's about 170 miles from Conroe.

kats89
July 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, come up to Austin on Sept 30th and watch Sam Houston take their lumps against the Longhorns. At least it will be a great road trip.