PDA

View Full Version : Sports Networks Top 25

paytonlives
July 7th, 2006, 07:47 PM
1. Appalachian State (12-3) - As noted above, the loss of Richie Williams and Jason Hunter will be easier to absorb with the return of 17 starters and depth and talent at almost every position will make the Mountaineers a strong candidate to be the first team since 2000 to defend their crown.

2. Montana (8-4) - The Grizzly defense is as deep as any in the country, and the addition of transfer talent at quarterback and wide receiver should inject more life in the Lex Hilliard-led offense and help vault the Grizzlies to a record that would keep them at home throughout the postseason.

3. Cal Poly (9-4) - With a dominating defense that seems to reload every year and the return of seven sophomore starters on offense, the Mustangs should be set up for playoff and even national championship contention for at least the next couple of years.

4. New Hampshire (11-2) - Everyone expects the explosive Wildcat offense to light up the scoreboard again with Ricky Santos and David Ball, but the 2006 campaign could be more of a grind with a tougher schedule and the departure of seven starters from a defense that led the nation in takeaways

5. Illinois State (7-4) - A pair of heartbreaking close losses kept a playoff- caliber team home for Thanksgiving a year ago, but the return of Laurent Robinson, Cameron Siskowic, Luke Drone and 13 other starters should put the Redbirds over that hump in 2006.

6. Furman (11-3) - Though the biggest star departs on offense and defense and the Paladins have some holes to fill on the offensive line, a defense that improved throughout the 2005 season should be a very strong complement to the potent running attack.

7. Northern Iowa (11-4) - Even though they lose 12 starters from last year’s runner-up team, the Panthers always reload to keep themselves in playoff contention and it’s hard to bet against Eric Sanders in the fourth quarter.

8. Massachusetts (7-4) - With experienced talent at all the skill positions on offense and six starters back from a defense that was one of the best in I-AA for most of the season, the Minutemen are in position to make the postseason for the first time since 2003.

9. Youngstown State (8-3) - The Penguins just missed out on the postseason despite an 8-3 record and a share of the Gateway title, but they have a great shot to remove the doubt this year with a good running game and defense and 25 seniors returning.

10. James Madison (7-4) - Quarterback Justin Rascati, a deep backfield and a strong group on the offensive line and at wide receiver should keep the offense in good shape, but the defense needs to replace six starters, including three up front.

11. UC Davis (6-5) - With what should be an improved offense featuring Jon Grant and Tony Kays and a dominating defense that brings back most of its top players, I-AA foes will be happy that the Aggies are not playoff eligible until 2007.

12. Eastern Kentucky (7-4) - The Ohio Valley Conference has not fielded an elite team in some time and has not scored a playoff victory since 2000, but a Colonels team that features an explosive offense and a solid defense could put an end to those trends.

13. Delaware (6-5) - The Blue Hens bring in a few impact transfers to go with 14 starters that gained experience a year ago, and seem to be in good position to make a run at a playoff berth before fielding a championship contender in 2007.

14. North Dakota State (7-4) - The road schedule is brutal and the Bison lose six starters on defense, but they return a very capable player at each of the skill positions and have a balanced team that can win games with offense or defense.

15. Richmond (9-4) - The Spiders have a crucial question to answer with Stacey Tutt gone at quarterback, but a quarterfinal team that returns 16 starters overall and all five on the offensive line can’t be overlooked.

16. Eastern Illinois (9-3) - The Panthers made the playoffs for the first time since 2002 last year, and have a great shot at a return trip with nine starters back on offense and seven, including Clint Sellers and Tristan Burge, on defense.

17. McNeese State (5-4) - The Cowboys are still young and might be in even better position to make a national title run in 2007, but they return almost the entire starting defense and could make a big rise this season if one of the young quarterbacks can step forward.

18. Montana State (7-4) - Travis Lulay will be dearly missed after a spectacular career under center, but the running game led by Evin Groves and a strong and deep defense give the Bobcats hope to be as good or better in the first season without Lulay.

19. Hampton (11-1) - The Pirates boast a few NFL prospects on defense and running back Alonzo Coleman rates among the best in I-AA, but it’s hard to believe in them as a top five or top 10 team until they prove it against the best teams in I-AA.

20. Georgia Southern (8-4) - The sudden death of Teddy Craft will make it difficult to focus on football right away, and that tragedy combined with all the changes in philosophy under head coach Brian VanGorder leave the Eagles with more questions than usual.

21. Grambling State (11-1) - Henry Tolbert and Clyde Edwards lead a dynamic group at wide receiver on a potent offense, and the defense should be strong enough to lead the Tigers to another SWAC championship even without Bruce Eugene and Jason Hatcher.

22. Western Kentucky (6-5) - Losses in the final four contests and a tough schedule have some observers down on the Hilltoppers’ chances, but leaders like Lerron Moore and Justin Haddix and the return of 13 starters overall should keep the program in good shape.

23. Idaho State (5-6) - The Bengals figure to put points on the board with a strong running tandem and Michigan transfer Matt Gutierrez to revive the passing game, and they have a chance at a postseason run if new starters on the defensive line can play well.

24. Texas State (11-3)- Some decline is inevitable after losing quarterback Barrick Nealy and 28 total lettermen, but a solid returning defense and a favorable non-conference schedule will keep the Bobcats in the playoff mix.

25. Colgate (8-4) - The Raiders have holes to fill on the front seven and would like to get more consistent play from quarterback Mike Saraceno, but the running of Jordan Scott and a strong secondary gives Colgate a slight edge as the preseason Patriot League favorite.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

paytonlives
July 7th, 2006, 07:52 PM
They rate on all 122 I- AA teams. The 101 schools that play at a scholarship or quasi- level are separated from the 21 that play at a true non-scholarship or limited- scholarship level. Last year’s record is in parentheses.

The official Sports Network I-AA Top 25 and I-AA-Mid-Major preseason polls, which are voted on by a panel of sports information directors and media throughout the country, will be released in August

BigDukeDawg
July 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
wow 10th huh?

blackfordpu
July 7th, 2006, 08:21 PM
not too terribly bad but its no AGS Poll. :rotateh:

ISUMatt
July 7th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Delaware 13th???

DFW HOYA
July 7th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but there should not be a firewall in the rankings between those with scholarship money and those without. Rank them 1-122. Maybe USD finishes 90th, maybe less, but they're all in the same boat.

SunCoastBlueHen
July 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Delaware 13th???

Do you think that's high or low, Matt? Sounds about right to me.

Retro
July 7th, 2006, 11:55 PM
Sorry, But i really don't see how you can place 5 A-10 teams and 2 OVC teams before any SLC team..

I know most people outside the SLC have no idea who will be the best, but it appears there is a lack of knowledge and proven quality taken into consideration..

The OVC hasn't won a playoff game in 6 years.

Most people expect Mcneese to be the team to beat in the SLC, however how good nationally remains to be seen, but the top team from the SLC at 17 is a bit of an insult!xidiotx

rcny46
July 8th, 2006, 12:14 AM
I think this is the most realistic poll I've seen so far.I do believe,though,that UD should be ranked higher than 13th.

Baldy
July 8th, 2006, 12:54 AM
20. Georgia Southern (8-4) - The sudden death of Teddy Craft will make it difficult to focus on football right away, and that tragedy combined with all the changes in philosophy under head coach Brian VanGorder leave the Eagles with more questions than usual.
If anything, Teddy's death will bring the team closer together and make them focus more....for Teddy.

umassfan
July 8th, 2006, 01:49 AM
I think this is the most realistic poll I've seen so far.I do believe,though,that UD should be ranked higher than 13th.
Higher then 13th for what? What have they done to prove so? Like I said before... they have a new QB, WRs that cant catch, holes on the line, and a D that has done nothing but loose more players.

RabidRabbit
July 8th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Sorry, But i really don't see how you can place 5 A-10 teams and 2 OVC teams before any SLC team..

I know most people outside the SLC have no idea who will be the best, but it appears there is a lack of knowledge and proven quality taken into consideration..

Most people expect Mcneese to be the team to beat in the SLC, however how good nationally remains to be seen, but the top team from the SLC at 17 is a bit of an insult!xidiotx

The two conferences that appear evenly balanced appear to be the SLC and Patriot. With no clear favorite, that's why such low rating for the SLC (IMHO). This truly may be the first year in quite a while where OVC is nationally competetive. We'll get a good sense in the EIU-ILSU match-up.:twocents:

nmatsen
July 8th, 2006, 07:36 AM
UNI 7th? What the he!!

The two most important positions (probably aside from quarterback) on the field are D-Backs and O-Line. Look at the fact that Eric Sanders is second to none in the fourth quarter and our defensive backfield and offensive line that started all through the playoffs last year are back this year, seventh is a joke. Behind Illinois State who is just now starting to eliminate themselves from being labeled in the same sentence with Indiana State in our conference. They have been to the playoffs once in like ten years! Terrible poll, they do not know what the hel! they are talking about. Do some freaking research. Montana 2? Nothing against Montana at least they have a resume to back it up but to rank them second based on guys that have never worn a grizzlies jersery is just ridiculous, those guys could absolutely flop. Not saying they will but they could.

Ronbo
July 8th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Well arguing where we all belong is moot because it's so speculative in the pre season. These polls are predictions and based on talent lost and talent returning. Montana has 15 of their 20 top tacklers back, 7 of the top 10, and the top three. Our top 3 interceptors are back and our top 2 sackers. On offense all the skill players that acounted for 80% of the yards are back. The O-Line lost two guys and the way the line is platooned the backups come in with plenty of experience. Are we number 2? We'll know by mid season. UNI lost a ton of production on Offense and Defense, I think #7 is very optimistic and I wouldn't have been insulted for the Griz to be that high. In fact most Griz fans prefer starting lower in the rankings and the team working their way up on the field.

JoshUCA
July 8th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hey, can't argue with #69 in our first year....we'll take it!

SouthernEagle02
July 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM
In fact most Griz fans prefer starting lower in the rankings and the team working their way up on the field.
I have to agree with Ronbo. I know I'm in the minority, but as a Georgia Southern fan, I like being ranked low. Just shuts up all the ney-sayers come December. My only thing is how NDSU got ranked where they are at. Isn't this thier first year in I-AA? Can't wait to see them on Oct.7.

bisonguy
July 8th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I have to agree with Ronbo. I know I'm in the minority, but as a Georgia Southern fan, I like being ranked low. Just shuts up all the ney-sayers come December. My only thing is how NDSU got ranked where they are at. Isn't this thier first year in I-AA? Can't wait to see them on Oct.7.

NDSU will be in their third year of DI-AA competition, but will be two years removed from playoff eligibility due to the four year reclassification process.

Chi Panther
July 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I tend to agree with being ranked out of the top 10 and then having a strong showing over the course of the year and into the playoffs....exceeding expectations rather than under-performing...

On the other hand.....ASU is ranked #1 becuase they won it all. They lost their 2 best players however....

UNI is ranked 7th because of the loss of preduction (seems like a disconnect to me). Many UNI fans feel we'll fill those holes quite nicely. The transfers that UNI and Montana have this year look to be similar.
I think UNI should be pre-season ahead of UNH....especially after winning at UNH (seems to be another disconnect if going on last years performance). The good thing for UNI is that this year we will be a Junior Dominated team looking at QB, O-line, and WR transfers. 2007 should be an even better UNI team.

Go Panthers!!!! GO I-AA!!!!!!:hurray:

rcny46
July 8th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Higher then 13th for what? What have they done to prove so? Like I said before... they have a new QB, WRs that cant catch, holes on the line, and a D that has done nothing but loose more players.

I'm not suggesting they belong in the top 5,just that I think they will be a better team than a lot of people think,and are better than a couple of the teams ranked ahead of them.I think that you will see them improve more than might be expected as the season progresses.Most of the listed teams have defiiciencies to some extent that need to be addressed,including the highly regarded team I support.I guess RONBO has the right take on all of this when all is said and done.

Ronbo
July 8th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Hey like I say I'm happy if the Griz make the top ten. #9 or #2, it's all good, ultimately it needs to be proved on the field. We will drop from the top 5 in the second week of polls anyway as we will be a very wealthy 0-1.:D :D :D :D

July 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I think this is the most realistic poll I've seen so far...Maybe because it isn't a poll???? Only one poll has been released so far, the AGS Poll.

rcny46
July 8th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Maybe because it isn't a poll???? Only one poll has been released so far, the AGS Poll.
If semantics are important here,I stand corrected.I think it is the most realistic prognostication I've seen so far,if that sounds better.

July 9th, 2006, 12:38 AM
If semantics are important here,I stand corrected.I think it is the most realistic prognostication I've seen so far,if that sounds better.Well, AGS does not post individual ballots.. ;) Matt does a nice job as you may already know from his appearances on I-AA WAVES.

blukeys
July 9th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Hey like I say I'm happy if the Griz make the top ten. #9 or #2, it's all good, ultimately it needs to be proved on the field.

My sentiments exactly. It appears to me that many teams have question marks. If my team is 9-1 after 10 weeks I will take it and not look back. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The only real goal is to make the playoff field and then our team hopefully can do some damage. :nod: :nod:

Arguing about a team's position in PRESEASON Poll is ludicrous.

The polls that truly count occur at the end of the season!!!!!!!!!

MACHIAVELLI
July 9th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Matt does a nice job as you may already know from his appearances on I-AA WAVES.
xidiotx

cosmo here
July 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM
xidiotx

once again, please explain . . ? this is becoming tiresome.

paytonlives
July 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
once again, please explain . . ? this is becoming tiresome.

My guess is that the Grambling fans dont like Matt because he talks very little about them. And I also think he has been telling them to join the playoffs. Let's see, a group of teams that prefer to beat on each other and not play in the playoffs. What is there to talk about????

McNeese75
July 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Let's see, a group of teams that prefer to beat on each other and not play in the playoffs. What is there to talk about????

Uhhhhhhhhh, Bands???? :eek: xcoffeex

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Well, AGS does not post individual ballots.. ;) Matt does a nice job as you may already know from his appearances on I-AA WAVES.

I thought we knew him from The Sports Network lol? Matt does a fine job. He seems to do his research. No poll or awards team will make everyone happy. There will always be snubs in the eyes of homers and even non-homers. He did a good job with this one.

Why has I-AA Waves been on hiatus? I miss the show... :bawling:

AppGuy04
July 10th, 2006, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFootballFan]There will always be snubs in the eyes of homers and even non-homers. QUOTE]

except for the AGS poll

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2006, 09:33 AM
My sentiments exactly. It appears to me that many teams have question marks. If my team is 9-1 after 10 weeks I will take it and not look back. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

The only real goal is to make the playoff field and then our team hopefully can do some damage. :nod: :nod:

Arguing about a team's position in PRESEASON Poll is ludicrous.

The polls that truly count occur at the end of the season!!!!!!!!!

Tell me about it. I don't hear UNI or ASU whining about their spot in the poll last year. Polls will work themselves out. You just have to be patient and know that you will end up about where you deserve to be. You just have to wait it out. In the first few weeks those teams who are overrated have to slowly drop out before Grambling and the others can rightfully earn their spots lol.

MACHIAVELLI
July 10th, 2006, 10:16 AM
There will always be snubs in the eyes of homers and even non-homers.

except for the AGS poll

Including

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Including

You quoted the wrong person. I didn't say except, Appguy04 did. Unless a poll is 100 percent correct then you can include that poll. AGS is very good but no fan, SID, media, etc. will tab every team correctly. I think AGS does a great job but somehow there will be a top 15 team who has gone under the radar this year. That seems to happen every year. I think with the internet polls are becoming more accurate with people having access to much more information and AGS is part of that access to more information.

MACHIAVELLI
July 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
You quoted the wrong person. I didn't say except, Appguy04 did. Unless a poll is 100 percent correct then you can include that poll. AGS is very good but no fan, SID, media, etc. will tab every team correctly. I think AGS does a great job but somehow there will be a top 15 team who has gone under the radar this year. That seems to happen every year. I think with the internet polls are becoming more accurate with people having access to much more information and AGS is part of that access to more information.

I quoted the conversation. That is what I was trying to do.

COLONELSINCE78
July 10th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Sweet!
5 OVC teams (well 4.5) in his bottom 23 teams!!!
WE ARE AWESOME

smallcollegefbfan
July 10th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I quoted the conversation. That is what I trying to do.

I figured. Just didn't want you to think it was me who said that.

FlyYtown
July 10th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Any poll that makes a UNI Fan mad and a YSU Fan happy is a good poll to me.

Go Penguins, trust me that #9 is as low as you will see this team all year, unless we get a major drop in our loss to PENN ST.

Linehawg
July 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Living in Harrisonburg it's a little easier to follow these guys and it sure seems like they're benefitting here from a team that isn't there anymore. They've pulled in whopper freshmen classes over the last few years with their penchant fpr partials (45+ each year?) and are trying to get some of those kids to quit. The starters on offense are seasoned but the o-line isn't as strong as this soundbite indicates. Newsome gone at OL Coach and Malone in to replace him...change takes time. Other than Lazotte in the secondary and Jordan at LB, defense seems verrrryyy thin. I think this is a gift to a Duke team that will be lucky to have a winning season this year. Could be wrong but this just seems way high.xcoffeex

jmuroller
July 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Living in Harrisonburg it's a little easier to follow these guys and it sure seems like they're benefitting here from a team that isn't there anymore. They've pulled in whopper freshmen classes over the last few years with their penchant fpr partials (45+ each year?) and are trying to get some of those kids to quit. The starters on offense are seasoned but the o-line isn't as strong as this soundbite indicates. Newsome gone at OL Coach and Malone in to replace him...change takes time. Other than Lazotte in the secondary and Jordan at LB, defense seems verrrryyy thin. I think this is a gift to a Duke team that will be lucky to have a winning season this year. Could be wrong but this just seems way high.xcoffeex

I love it when you open your mouth about JMU. 45+ each year? What list are you getting this off of? We sign the same every other school does each year. I seriously doubt we force any kids to quit..first I've ever heard of that. We do have some ? marks, but to say we will be lucky to have a winning season is comical. But everyone is allowed their opinion I guess. Just don't go around stating wrong facts and making false accusations.

NSUDemon98
July 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM

There really is no poll that is gonna make everyone happy and I am not saying I disagree with you. I do STRONGLY agree with you about the OVC point you made. Jacksonville St. is a middle of the pack team in the old Southland Football League and sometimes a bottom of the pack team and they switch conferences and WHAM!!!! Playoffs here we are...kinda funny if you ask me.

FL connection
July 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM
So your take is that the whole OVC sucks or everyone but the Easterns, or...........I'll say 2 OVC's will gain the play-offs, with at least one, if not both, going two rounds plus......or maybe not. Remember, lots of funny things happen throughout the course of a year. That's why we all have these intertaining, but irrelevant predictions in the middle of July.....connection out!!

mikebigg
July 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Grambling will be 2-0 headed into the U of H game. We'll see what happens from there!:nod:

CatFan22
July 11th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Grambling will be 2-0 headed into the U of H game. We'll see what happens from there!:nod:

...........2-1 if you win the first one, which I don't see happening. ;) So......1-1 heading into the UH game.

Linehawg
July 11th, 2006, 07:28 PM
I love it when you open your mouth about JMU. 45+ each year? What list are you getting this off of? We sign the same every other school does each year. I seriously doubt we force any kids to quit..first I've ever heard of that. We do have some ? marks, but to say we will be lucky to have a winning season is comical. But everyone is allowed their opinion I guess. Just don't go around stating wrong facts and making false accusations.

Well, the number(s) came from a JMU player who sees the pressure put on some players daily so I guess I should consider it suspect..??? What you "sign" is whatever it takes to keep you at or under 63 full schollie equivalents. By throwing $1-3,000 per year per kid as a partial, the actual bodies brought in and run through the ringer can be much larger than 15-25 kids per year. My point was simply that there are more than a few question marks for anyone who watches the team closely and 10th in the nation is overly optimistic. We'll just have to disagree on that and let that all be settled on the field. :nod:

datruth4u
July 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
...........2-1 if you win the first one, which I don't see happening. ;) So......1-1 heading into the UH game.

It's ok to be blinded by your own ignorance..... :bawling:

mikebigg
July 11th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Hampton's a good team and a good program. They have gotten the best of us in our past matchups. But we're more of a representative of Grambling football than we were those years. Grambling's offense is built for offensive production. Nothing against Hampton, but I don't think they can stop us.

datruth4u
July 11th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Hampton's a good team and a good program. They have gotten the best of us in our past matchups. But we're more of a representative of Grambling football than we were those years. Grambling's offense is built for offensive production. Nothing against Hampton, but I don't think they can stop us.

Well, I'll take it a step further and say that they won't stop us. I can't wait for this game to crank up. I only hope that Hampton wins their remaining games in 06, so that they make the playoffs.

CatFan22
July 12th, 2006, 12:20 AM
It's ok to be blinded by your own ignorance..... :bawling:

Opinion = ignorance. You sound like a griz fan. :nod: ;)

Grizo406
July 12th, 2006, 03:28 AM

For the most part, that's not necessarily a bad thing.xlolx

datruth4u
July 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM

If you knew what I know, I'm sure that wouldn't be your opinion. However, the world will find out soon enough.....xlolx

paytonlives
July 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM
If you knew what I know, I'm sure that wouldn't be your opinion. However, the world will find out soon enough.....xlolx

What difference does it make? They wont be in the NC game.

MACHIAVELLI
July 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
THE TRUTH HURTS WHEN IT'S TOLD TO THE ONES WHO DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT

datruth4u
July 12th, 2006, 02:02 PM
What difference does it make? They wont be in the NC game.

Neither will Montana! The difference is your ignorance inevitably alters your opinion.xidiotx

Catmendue2
July 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM

I agree Mike, Hampton is in for a long day in Birmingham as most 1-AA schools would be against Grambling. Once we beat them they will have another story tell.

McNeese75
July 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM
I agree Mike, Hampton is in for a long day in Birmingham as most 1-AA schools would be against Grambling. Once we beat them they will have another story tell.

Here we go again.............:eyebrow:

If pigs had wings...........................:rolleyes:

gasoutherneagle
July 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM
101. Savannah State (0-11) - A winless season is embarrassing enough, but Savannah State added to the misery by losing to Central State, a team playing its first season since 1996 and using walk-on players.

:thumbsup: You know, just being in such close proximity to Georgia Southern, you'd think at least SOME talent would rub off on the football joke known as the SSU Tigers.

Grizo406
July 12th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Neither will Montana! The difference is your ignorance inevitably alters your opinion.xidiotx

Ignorance issue aside, who will be in the National Championship game?