PDA

View Full Version : Stirring the pot........

penguinpower
August 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Since all of the defections in the CAA have occurred, the quality of the conference has dropped considerably IMOP. Delaware and Richmond and JMU anchoring the conference. Bill and Mary are 2nd tier and ODU hasn't proven themselves yet. And UNH is always in the race but where are they this year?

It is going to take a few years to restore the SEC type of league it was.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Since all of the defections in the CAA have occurred, the quality of the conference has dropped considerably IMOP. Delaware and Richmond and JMU anchoring the conference. Bill and Mary are 2nd tier and ODU hasn't proven themselves yet. And UNH is always in the race but where are they this year?

ODU is the only team that has been there for any football so far and that was one year. UMass was decent but mostly middle of the conference area...and GA State has never played a down of football in the CAA and has not been quality by any stretch of the imagination.

How exactly are things different? Is adding two playoff teams from last year what you consider a downgrade while losing one playoff team from last year? That stuff doesn't happen until next year anyway but I assume that is what you are going for.

I understand stirring the pot but why make such an easily refuted claim to do so?

nj alum
August 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Are you contending that the CAA is "down" because past national champions Delaware, JMU, Nova, and Richmond, and past national semifinalist W&M, had down years in 2011? None have defected to date.

Are you contending that the CAA is "down" because Towson and ODU "rose up" last year? Only ODU is defecting, and that won't happen until 2013, when they are replaced by 2011 FCS playoff participants SB and Albany?

Are you contending that the CAA is down because UNH made the playoffs last year (8 straight years), or because Maine returned to the playoffs where it's been before? Neither of those schools have defected.

Are you contending that the CAA is down because URI downgraded, Hofstra and N'Eastern dropped the sport several years ago, and Ga. St. has yet to play a down in the CAA?

That only leaves UMass. Sorry, don't think so.

coover
August 11th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Big Sky ... Big Sky ... Big Sky ... Big Sky ... The future of the FCS

fatmonarch
August 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM
ODU is 27-8 in its only 3 years of football. Our first season in the CAA we went 6-2 in conference and 10-3 overall with a playoff win. We ended the season with a top ten ranking. I guess we should have won a national championship in our 3rd year of existence. I'm not sure how much more we can prove.

ndsubison
August 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Big Sky ... Big Sky ... Big Sky ... Big Sky ... The future of the FCS

No doubt the BSC is a very solid conference but THE FUTURE? I don't know about that. I'd like to see how the conf race shakes and what BSC teams can do in the playoffs (consistently) in the coming years. Are they going to go with a (divisional-type) conference championship game or try to get multiple teams into the playoffs as a goal? I also wonder what the 'Sky would look like today had the xDSU's been admitted several years back. We love it in the MVFC since the style of play and the "lunch pail" approach on game day seems to suit us quite well. It is very difficult to make it through MV conference play unscathed and I believe that benefits the team(s) who do make it come playoff time. UNI being the exception as of late. I'm still shaking my head on the beatdown Montana gave UNI last year. Nothing against Montana, of course, but UNI really laid an egg there. Here's to hoping we can have some more MVFC/Big Sky playoff matchups in the coming years and best of luck to Poly in your new home. I always liked your program and miss playing the Mustangs. GO BISON!!!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 11th, 2012, 10:22 AM
No doubt the BSC is a very solid conference but THE FUTURE? I don't know about that. I'd like to see how the conf race shakes and what BSC teams can do in the playoffs (consistently) in the coming years. Are they going to go with a (divisional-type) conference championship game or try to get multiple teams into the playoffs as a goal? I also wonder what the 'Sky would look like today had the xDSU's been admitted several years back. We love it in the MVFC since the style of play and the "lunch pail" approach on game day seems to suit us quite well. It is very difficult to make it through MV conference play unscathed and I believe that benefits the team(s) who do make it come playoff time. UNI being the exception as of late. I'm still shaking my head on the beatdown Montana gave UNI last year. Nothing against Montana, of course, but UNI really laid an egg there. Here's to hoping we can have some more MVFC/Big Sky playoff matchups in the coming years and best of luck to Poly in your new home. I always liked your program and miss playing the Mustangs. GO BISON!!!

It's even funnier that the all of the Great Rest teams think that being added to the BSC is an instant improvement to the conference. It is still perennially a 2 team conference.

darell1976
August 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It's even funnier that the all of the Great Rest teams think that being added to the BSC is an instant improvement to the conference. It is still perennially a 2 team conference.

Why is it funnier? It is an improvement to an already top notch conference just as SDSU and NDSU was to the MVFC. Us GWFC teams could very well challenge for the title year in and year out. The top 2 in the BSC has not always been UM and MSU. This year IMO is going to be between MSU and Cal Poly, UND isn't too far behind and with our history can very well be in the top 3 every year. SUU has very much improved since you guys were in the GWFC and could contend as well. UC Davis is in a little slump but once back on track is another threat for a title. I think every year is going to be a dogfight to the top and just because your school has the word Montana in it doesn't mean you are guaranteed a top spot. Maybe someday NDSU can be all alone at the top of the MVFC.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Why is it funnier? It is an improvement to an already top notch conference just as SDSU and NDSU was to the MVFC. Us GWFC teams could very well challenge for the title year in and year out. The top 2 in the BSC has not always been UM and MSU. This year IMO is going to be between MSU and Cal Poly, UND isn't too far behind and with our history can very well be in the top 3 every year. SUU has very much improved since you guys were in the GWFC and could contend as well. UC Davis is in a little slump but once back on track is another threat for a title. I think every year is going to be a dogfight to the top and just because your school has the word Montana in it doesn't mean you are guaranteed a top spot. Maybe someday NDSU can be all alone at the top of the MVFC.

Of course you have to believe that.

As for being all alone atop the MVFC....there's something about a NC that makes that all seem a little trivial.

I-16Bandit
August 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
ODU came to Paulson and gave my Eagles a HELL of a game last year in the playoffs. They had a SOLID team, and only in their 3rd year of existence. Yeah, it's only been 3 years, but they are on the upswing, and fast.

For comparisons sake, look at Georgia State (also CAA). Compare them to ODU and see who hasn't proved anything.

UNH Fanboi
August 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM

I don't think the CAA will ever be as dominant as it was around 2008-2009, but it has nothing to do with the defections. Losing GSU is addition by subtraction. UMass was once a top program but has been mediocre the past 6 years. ODU is a solid program, but they've barely been in the CAA to begin with.

The CAA was just unusually stacked during its peak.

clenz
August 11th, 2012, 03:31 PM
ODU is the only team that has been there for any football so far and that was one year. UMass was decent but mostly middle of the conference area...and GA State has never played a down of football in the CAA and has not been quality by any stretch of the imagination.

How exactly are things different? Is adding two playoff teams from last year what you consider a downgrade while losing one playoff team from last year? That stuff doesn't happen until next year anyway but I assume that is what you are going for.

I understand stirring the pot but why make such an easily refuted claim to do so?

Out came from a ysu fan...don't be shocked

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

darell1976
August 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Of course you have to believe that.

As for being all alone atop the MVFC....there's something about a NC that makes that all seem a little trivial.

Better hope you guys stay at the top or you will be compared to an Eastern Washington. How quick the mighty can fall.

Bogus Megapardus
August 11th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Youngstown to the CAA. Since this is about stirring the pot, I see that as a solid, logical move. Wonder what the Polish Rifle would think?

semobison
August 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Better hope you guys stay at the top or you will be compared to an Eastern Washington. How quick the mighty can fall.

Badmouthing EWU now Darell. Oh yeah, there in your conference! Hope that doesnt come back and bite you in the ***!

Go...gate
August 11th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Disagree. The financial, philosophical and facility commitments of UA and SBU to football will arrest and reverse any decline, IMO.

penguinpower
August 11th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I don't think the CAA will ever be as dominant as it was around 2008-2009, but it has nothing to do with the defections. Losing GSU is addition by subtraction. UMass was once a top program but has been mediocre the past 6 years. ODU is a solid program, but they've barely been in the CAA to begin with.

The CAA was just unusually stacked during its peak.

good insight . good post.

clenz
August 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Youngstown to the CAA. Since this is about stirring the pot, I see that as a solid, logical move. Wonder what the Polish Rifle would think?

I've been trying to get this going for about 3 years now....Get on board early and ride it until it happens!

penguinpower
August 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I've been trying to get this going for about 3 years now....Get on board early and ride it until it happens!

YSU is going to beat you this year (finally) and it will be convincing. As the proverbial stepsister of the league, be prepared to have losses to NDSU, YSU and Illinois State. You will be in the playoffs if they only take 4 teams from the MVFC. Once again no NC. How do you like those apples?

darell1976
August 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Badmouthing EWU now Darell. Oh yeah, there in your conference! Hope that doesnt come back and bite you in the ***!

No I am comparing you to a one title team. No one has repeated since App State in 2007. Just look how EWU went from the top of the FCS to missing the playoffs. Kinda like how NDSU went from double digit wins in the GWFC to 6-5 and 3-8. Instead of bad mouthing the BSC, you better concentrate on your own conference.

344Johnson
August 11th, 2012, 11:31 PM
No I am comparing you to a one title team. No one has repeated since App State in 2007. Just look how EWU went from the top of the FCS to missing the playoffs. Kinda like how NDSU went from double digit wins in the GWFC to 6-5 and 3-8. Instead of bad mouthing the BSC, you better concentrate on your own conference.

NDSU also lost an exceptional group of seniors. Quarterback like Walker getting replaced by someone like Mertens, not surprising what happened considering something as simple as that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2012, 06:47 AM

EWU had a ton of injuries that contributed to their lackluster year last year. If the Bison have injuries like that then it will happen to them. Bison have good depth at some positions and thin at others.

It is going to be a fun year. The Bison will have a target on their backs and everyone they play will bring their 'A' game......bring it on!

darell1976
August 12th, 2012, 08:09 AM
EWU had a ton of injuries that contributed to their lackluster year last year. If the Bison have injuries like that then it will happen to them. Bison have good depth at some positions and thin at others.

It is going to be a fun year. The Bison will have a target on their backs and everyone they play will bring their 'A' game......bring it on!

It is about injuries and depth. It could take that one key player and if you don't have the depth to replace that player you could go from champs to chumps in one season. IMO I see NDSU winning the MVFC and hosting the playoffs (again). Will they be able to make it 2 in a row in Frisco...let the season begin.

clenz
August 12th, 2012, 10:16 AM
YSU is going to beat you this year (finally) and it will be convincing. As the proverbial stepsister of the league, be prepared to have losses to NDSU, YSU and Illinois State. You will be in the playoffs if they only take 4 teams from the MVFC. Once again no NC. How do you like those apples?

You talk a lot of **** for having a **** *** program the better part of the last decade.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 12th, 2012, 10:21 AM
You talk a lot of **** for having a **** *** program the better part of the last decade.

6-5 didn't knock anyone's socks off last year either.

penguinpower
August 12th, 2012, 05:18 PM

I know that you have disdain about the Youngstown State. You put the people and the university down every chance you get. I have read your posts over the years.

Now it will be time for you to eat your words come game time. You will have the **** *** program this year (what ever you typed).

clenz
August 12th, 2012, 06:38 PM
The butt hurt is strong in this one.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2012, 07:38 PM
The butt hurt is strong in this one.

With their offense basically coming back intact, they are going to be tough for everyone of their schedule this year. From looking at their website on there fall practice, it sounds like their defense is going to be better. UNI has to play there this year...that will be a tough one.

clenz
August 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM
With their offense basically coming back intact, they are going to be tough for everyone of their schedule this year. From looking at their website on there fall practice, it sounds like their defense is going to be better. UNI has to play there this year...that will be a tough one.
I haven't doubted that....

It's not like UNI doesn't return everyone on offense except a WR that did very very little towards the end of the season, the QB (who has been replaced with a QB that is four times the passer...and this is coming from one of Rennie's biggest supporters right here) and a tackle.

4 of UNI's offensive lineman are now 3rd year starters - with the other seeing significant time last year rotating through to give breaks throughout the game - UNI tends to rotate 7 lineman a game.
EVERY SINGLE running back - possibly the best backfield in the conference with Carlos Anderson and David Johnson - third stringer Zach Cutkomp would start for the entire bottom half of the conference
6 of the top 9 pass catchers are back

The entire secondary is back - two 3 year starters and two second year starters...a couple of preseason All American and All Conference players back there.
The front 7 may be a question mark to start the year, but tell me the last time UNI had a bad front 7 - regardless who they had to replace.....please tell me because I honestly can't remember.

The last time YSU beat UNI was the year 2000...Tressle was still at YSU. That means YSU two best teams of the last decade (made the playoffs) couldn't beat two of UNI's worst teams of the last decade.

YSU could beat UNI this year....I'm not going to say it isn't going to happen....but remember 2008 when UNI went to YSU and won with a BACK UP FRESHMAN QB making his first start and won.

UNI isn't going anywhere - no matter what YSU fans want to happen. This past years recruiting class is one of the best UNI has ever brought in, and no matter who UNI starts at QB this year they will have at least 3 or 4 years of starting by the time they graduate - UNI's best RB is a Sophomore, 3 of the top 4 WR are underclassmen...the TE's are all underclassmen....pretty much everyone on D who starts this year will be Soph or Jr and have a couple years....

Oh and **** *** was s h i t a s s.

I am too young to "fear" YSU because of what they were over a decade ago...as are every single player that is in the MVFC this year. You want respect for your program? They have to earn it, and talking a ton of **** coming off of a 6-5 season and talking about how a great season is going to be getting to 7 wins isn't going to do it.

TheBisonator
August 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I know that you have disdain about the Youngstown State. You put the people and the university down every chance you get. I have read your posts over the years.

Now it will be time for you to eat your words come game time. You will have the **** *** program this year (what ever you typed).

Welcome to our club. He's had that agenda towards NDSU for years now.

He's like most Jealous UNI fans.

moosbah
August 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I've been reading this board for quite awhile now. Finally had to hop on. Fantastic stuff. Amazing how school pride trumps almost everything.

Daved
August 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Welcome to our club. He's had that agenda towards NDSU for years now.

He's like most Jealous UNI fans.Can you blame him? UNI has a gazillion conference titles yet never a NC in their history.Its a fact that YSU hasn't beaten "Team Choke" since last century--the main reason was that they had better talent--just as YSU used to beat Indiana State every year--we had better talent--however the past is over and its 2012-we no longer have an automatic W with Indiana State and UNI's days of automatic W's over YSU "sadly" are overxtroublex

Houndawg
August 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM

They're going to lose to SIU this year too. They always lose in Carbondale.

SIU will be the surprise team of the MVC this year and one of the four playoff teams. UNI will be left out at 5-6. 6-5 if they upset IlSU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 15th, 2012, 05:58 AM
They're going to lose to SIU this year too. They always lose in Carbondale.

SIU will be the surprise team of the MVC this year and one of the four playoff teams. UNI will be left out at 5-6. 6-5 if they upset IlSU.

Pretty optimistic.

I can see wins against:

EIU
SEMO
Missouri State
USD
WIU

Probably loss against Miami (OH)

Toss-up games:

Ind State
Ill State
UNI
YSU
NDSU - although it will be a huge surprise if they beat the Bison at home this year

Playoffs are a possibility. Beat UNI at home.

MR. CHICKEN
August 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM

16619......JAWS...WOOD WANT NO PARTAH....DELAWARE.....EVEN WHIFF OUT.....DUH WING-T.......xsmhx...BRAWK!

UNDColorado
August 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM

Well said. I for one would love to see more Big Sky / MVFC games, both regular season and playoffs as it makes for a great product on the field. Montana is a very strong team and I agree that I think UNI laid an egg during that game last year.

whitey
August 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hilarious thread topic. It's easier to argue (as others have already pointed out) that the CAA actually got stronger as a football league as a result of these subtractions and additions. Old Dominion's success so far has been extremely impressive. They're the only true loss. UMass hadn't been relevant in a decade. Stony Brook and Albany are already stronger programs than both Hofstra and Northeastern.. Georgia State doesn't even count.

RadioFan
August 15th, 2012, 09:35 AM
UMass hadn't been relevant in a decade.

I think they've been in a NC game more recently than JMU

whitey
August 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I think they've been in a NC game more recently than JMU

I totally forgot about that year for them. Which sort of proves my point (ha, I kid...)

bobcathpdevil56
August 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Trust me, being a fan of the Bobcats for some time, i will never believe that we are guaranteed any type of title

Walkon79
August 17th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Trust me, being a fan of the Bobcats for some time, i will never believe that we are guaranteed any type of title

But I like our chances this year :)

bobcathpdevil56
August 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM
But I like our chances this year :)

True Dat.