PDA

View Full Version : GTTS: Renaming Lehigh/Lafayette?

Lehigh Football Nation
July 7th, 2006, 03:35 PM
My "Get Through the Summer" piece is short today, but poignant. It also refers to the I-AA.org magazine as well. Basically, I'm running a week-long contest to see what the real name for the Lehigh/Lafayette rivalry should be.

Currently called "The Game", I think it's time to change it to something that folks on a national level can see and relate to. Something not to be confused with Harvard/Yale or any other rivalry.

You can post suggestions on this thread, or on my blog.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Yeah I've got one... Lafayette-Lehigh... how it should be properly stated since we have more wins. I am being serious.

65 Pard
July 7th, 2006, 06:56 PM
THE Rivalry

ngineer
July 7th, 2006, 10:36 PM
"L" of a Rivalry!:D

JohnG
July 8th, 2006, 02:20 AM
I always think of Lehigh-Lafayette as "The Rivalry" since it is the most played rivalry in college football. I guess the Ivy snobs could call Harvard-Yale "The Game" since it's just another game played between two teams who have played a lot of times but not as many as have been played in "The Rivalry"

65 Pard
July 8th, 2006, 10:14 PM
On second thought
"The ancient rivalry"
or "The Old Rivalry"
sound better

Lehigh Football Nation
July 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Right now it's looking like "The Rivalry". It seems to be the only thing that links all the suggestions. Any others?

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Sorry, guys (and gals, if you're out there), but I haven't seen anything better than THE Game, even though Harvard and Yale think that they have squatter's rights. "The Rivalry" just isn't getting it done for me.

bluehenbillk
July 10th, 2006, 01:51 PM
The "We Wannabe Ivy" game?

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 03:25 PM
The "We Wannabe Ivy" game?

No, that's called Arthur Rothkopf playing all alone in dark.

kardplayer
July 10th, 2006, 06:12 PM
How about something with "Valley" in it (I'd say Lehigh Valley is actually better, but I can imagine the Lafayette folks not loving that).

I'm thinking The Valley Clash, or The Valley Scrap, or preferably something better... has the same connotation as the Backyard Brawl (that's West Virginia/Pitt BTW)

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM
How about something with "Valley" in it (I'd say Lehigh Valley is actually better, but I can imagine the Lafayette folks not loving that).

I'm thinking The Valley Clash, or The Valley Scrap, or preferably something better... has the same connotation as the Backyard Brawl (that's West Virginia/Pitt BTW)

That might convey that it's just another college football rivalry and not something archiac and storied. 'The Game' conveys that.. 'The Rivalry' does also. We should name the trophy Valley something or something related to steel.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:12 AM

No problem here with "Valley" or "Lehigh Valley." Still, "THE Game" and "Backyard Brawl" have a ring and feel to them that nothing proposed so far in this post has even come close to.

I'm going away for a few days. My life is so void of excitement and meaning that I promise to devote some of my beach time to thinking about this. Best bet is that anything I come up with will not include the words "Valley" or "Rivalry."

Lehigh Football Nation
July 14th, 2006, 09:41 AM
No problem here with "Valley" or "Lehigh Valley." Still, "THE Game" and "Backyard Brawl" have a ring and feel to them that nothing proposed so far in this post has even come close to.

I'm going away for a few days. My life is so void of excitement and meaning that I promise to devote some of my beach time to thinking about this. Best bet is that anything I come up with will not include the words "Valley" or "Rivalry."

Hoping carney2 returns from the beach with a good suggestion.. xlolx

kardplayer
July 14th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Hoping carney2 returns from the beach with a good suggestion.. xlolx

I'm heading to the beach this week with another Lehigh alum - maybe we'll have inspiration...

ngineer
July 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM
No, that's called Arthur Rothkopf playing all alone in dark.

One hand touch?...;)

ngineer
July 14th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Howabout "The River War"---Lafayette has the Delaware and Lehigh has the Lehigh....
Howabout "The Mashin' in the Mountains"
Howabout "The Rivalry of 'L' "
Howabout "The Arch Rivalry"--as step beyond the Harvard-Yale..;)

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Last call for names. "The Rivalry" is the one I like best so far (though "Mountain Mayhem" comes an extremely close second). Let me know of any others.

One interesting thought I had was sort-of on topic: "The Revolutionary War". Easton was an important military outpost during the War, and was founded as to be "as far away from the Moravians [in Bethlehem] as possible."

I thought maybe it was a (tenuous) link. Also, it seems like the "Englishmen" in Easton and the "Moravians" in Bethlehem have been at battle since the Revolutionary war. :)

Pard4Life
July 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Last call for names. "The Rivalry" is the one I like best so far (though "Mountain Mayhem" comes an extremely close second). Let me know of any others.

One interesting thought I had was sort-of on topic: "The Revolutionary War". Easton was an important military outpost during the War, and was founded as to be "as far away from the Moravians [in Bethlehem] as possible."

I thought maybe it was a (tenuous) link. Also, it seems like the "Englishmen" in Easton and the "Moravians" in Bethlehem have been at battle since the Revolutionary war. :)

Creative, but it's a stretch.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 17th, 2006, 04:43 PM
One more try. How about:

"Fire On The Hill"

There are instances of Lehigh burning their own stands early in the rivalry, and parts of Lafayette were burned by a "moral philosiohy" teacher in the 1800s. Also, it could be a reference to the bonfires for the pregame.

"Cannons and Steel"

References to Marquis De Lafayette, and Bethlehem Steel

and, finally, (thanks ngineer)

"The Arch Rivalry"

based on the Lafayette "arch", and the fact we are "arch rivals"