PDA

View Full Version : Who will take Stony Brook's place in the Big South?

Go...gate
August 10th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Seems that the impact of the Stony Brook jump from the BSC, as well as Liberty's almost certain departure from that conference, will be problematic for the conference. Delaware State has been mentioned as a possible new BSC school. Do other such candidates exist to join?

danefan
August 10th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Coastal has also indicated its intention to look at other conferences.

I think the Big South football conference is on the shakiest ground right now.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Coastal has also indicated its intention to look at other conferences.

I think the Big South football conference is on the shakiest ground right now.

Did not know this.

danefan
August 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Did not know this.

Coastal’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously Friday to authorize Athletics Director Hunter Yurachek and President David DeCenzo to evaluate the school’s conference affiliation.

Yurachek said the board wants to find the conference that is the best fit for the school.

“If that comes back after this evaluation to be the Big South Conference, then that’s where we are and that’s where we’ll stay,” Yurachek said. “If it comes back that it’s another conference, then we’ll look into the possibility of moving somewhere else.”

According to a press release, the board chose to initiate this evaluation “in view of the uncertainty of the current climate of athletic conference affiliation.”

But Yurachek emphasized that Coastal is not actively pursuing any other conference, nor is any other conference actively pursuing Coastal.

Should leaders decide to leave the Big South, Yurachek said looking at the Southern Conference and Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) makes geographical sense.

http://www2.scnow.com/sports/2012/feb/18/coastal-carolina-evaluate-conference-affiliation-ar-3252461/

Not an outright acknowledgment, but as close as anyone has seen in this whole mess.

dbackjon
August 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
West Georgia and North Alabama

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
what about kennesaw state, or even stetson, mercer, davidson or campbell?

Go...gate
August 10th, 2012, 02:19 PM
what about kennesaw state, or even stetson, mercer, davidson or campbell?

If Basketball in the Big South were of a higher profile, Davidson would be a good fit, IMO. However. Davidson really devotes serious energy and resources to BB.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
i mean for football, the rest of the big south isnt at risk of falling apart.

west georgia, kennesaw st, north alabama could come in at all sports, campbell could bring in the football program that is out and davidson, mercer and stetson could be affiliates. it somewhat becomes a hybrid league like the nec

The Cats
August 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
If Basketball in the Big South were of a higher profile, Davidson would be a good fit, IMO. However. Davidson really devotes serious energy and resources to BB.

Davidson has already tried the Big South once, I don't think they want to go there again. LOL