PDA

View Full Version : When did the Playoff Selection Committee start taking financial bids from teams?

R.A.
August 10th, 2012, 12:29 AM
A poster on MEACFANSZONE has stAted that financial bids for the I-AA Playoffs were not available during FAMU's Playoff run between 1996-2001.

I've been looking for documentation regarding this to prove the statement true or false--- but I've found nothing.

Can I have a little assistance please?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 12:54 AM
A poster on MEACFANSZONE has stAted that financial bids for the I-AA Playoffs were not available during FAMU's Playoff run between 1996-2001.

I've been looking for documentation regarding this to prove the statement true or false--- but I've found nothing.

Can I have a little assistance please?

I'm not sure what that means but you do not have to submit a bid, you can go without doing so and be on the road. They may not have funds available but it looks like they did host Troy State in 1998 so they must have made a bid then.

They also hosted Appalachian in 1999 so a bid was made there as well apparently. They beat out two schools that I imagine would have bid at least decently but they could have been a seed...I can't remember, in which case I think they only had to make a minimum bid I think.

R.A.
August 10th, 2012, 02:41 AM
FAMU went to Boone in 99 and won that game. I remember watching it on the network MBC owned by Attorney Willie Gary.

However, this is what I mean.

Was there a point during 1996-2001 where the selection committee, did not accept monetary bids from schools for I-AA playoff games?

penguinpower
August 10th, 2012, 06:14 AM
When the playoff field is set, the teams that have been selected place a bid to the NCAA which guarantees them their $$$$. (These numbers are used for infromational purposes I do not know how high the bids are) So for instance, if your school bids $30,000 and another school in the playoffs bid $15,000 then the school that bid the highest will get the home game. At least this is how it used to work. This has been going on since I started following I-AA in the late 1980's.

The Eagle's Cliff
August 10th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I'm not sure the year it started, but the teams were seeded 1-16 until 2001. The 9/15 (9/11 on Tuesday) games were cancelled and schedules were adjusted accordingly. The playoffs were pushed back a week and regional bracketing began as a "safety precaution". When the NCAA realized they could save a little money, they kept regional bracketing and went with the 4-seed format which has diminished the excitement of the playoffs IMO.

At Georgia Southern, we've played host to Stephen F Austin, Idaho, Colgate, UConn, Northern Arizona, UMAss, McNeese St, and Hofstra in the early rounds prior to 2001. These geographical match-ups will not happen anymore until at least the semi-finals. Conference match-ups should be avoided, but the NCAA will manipulate the bracket to make it happen.

R.A.
August 10th, 2012, 09:37 AM
So since 16 team field, monetary bids?

dgtw
August 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
So the NCAA was behind 9/11 as a way to make money on the FCS playoffs.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 10:32 AM
i was under the assumption that until the ncaa changed the format, the higher seed hosted the lower seed since all teams were seeded

The Eagle's Cliff
August 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
So the NCAA was behind 9/11 as a way to make money on the FCS playoffs.

Did I say that? The perceived dangers of travel during the months following 9/11 prompted the change for 2001. That "temporary" change has become permanent.

My guess is the NCAA liked the travel savings. The NC game was on Saturday afternoon before 2001 as well. I think DII Womens Volleyball is in that time slot now.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

TheValleyRaider
August 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Did I say that? The perceived dangers of travel during the months following 9/11 prompted the change for 2001. That "temporary" change has become permanent.

My guess is the NCAA liked the travel savings. The NC game was on Saturday afternoon before 2001 as well. I think DII Womens Volleyball is in that time slot now.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure the NC game change came through ESPN. Not sure how that would save the NCAA any money

dgtw
August 10th, 2012, 02:07 PM
My comment was meant as a joke, making fun of conspiracy theories. I knew what you meant.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the NC game change came through ESPN. Not sure how that would save the NCAA any money

Are you thinking ESPN did something to bolster the bid Frisco put in? That is how it came about. That is also how Chatty got it in the first place I'm pretty sure.

TheValleyRaider
August 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Are you thinking ESPN did something to bolster the bid Frisco put in? That is how it came about. That is also how Chatty got it in the first place I'm pretty sure.

I meant only the shift in game time from Saturday afternoon to Friday night back in 2001. I know they were definitely involved in the shift to January when the game went to Frisco

It was mostly in response to the connection Eagle's Cliff was making regarding the switch to regionalization following 9/11 and the NCAA's maintainance thereof. I don't know that he was necessarily making that connection, but it read that way

penguinpower
August 10th, 2012, 05:41 PM
It has been a bidding process since the beginning hasn't it? Only the five seeded teams are guaranteed to host games through the semifinals unless they play a higher-seeded team. Games involving two non-seeded teams are based on financial guarantees from potential hosts, quality of facility, attendance history and potential and team performance. Thus, teams bid for the games. The FCS playoffs are not a big money-maker and home teams can lose money, so the schools believe this is the right system. But sometimes the better team is forced to play on the road.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
It has been a bidding process since the beginning hasn't it? Only the five seeded teams are guaranteed to host games through the semifinals unless they play a higher-seeded team. Games involving two non-seeded teams are based on financial guarantees from potential hosts, quality of facility, attendance history and potential and team performance. Thus, teams bid for the games. The FCS playoffs are not a big money-maker and home teams can lose money, so the schools believe this is the right system. But sometimes the better team is forced to play on the road.

I don't believe there was a formal bidding process prior to 2001.

I'm still in favor of seeding teams 1 tru 20/24. The current format does not reward teams for their on the field performance.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I meant only the shift in game time from Saturday afternoon to Friday night back in 2001. I know they were definitely involved in the shift to January when the game went to Frisco

It was mostly in response to the connection Eagle's Cliff was making regarding the switch to regionalization following 9/11 and the NCAA's maintainance thereof. I don't know that he was necessarily making that connection, but it read that way

I gotcha, I thought you meant the shift from Chatty to Frisco. With ya on the above in that case.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I'm still in favor of seeding teams 1 tru 20/24. The current format does not reward teams for on their field performance.

I'm pretty sure there was a bidding process. I remember Montana having to put one together in 1989 and the NCAA didn't base where the game was played on the seeding as much as the bid anyway if they did release them because in 1994 McNeese had to go to Montana and McNees was ranked higher in the polls at the time so I'm not even sure if the comittee was releasing the seeding at that point but it was well before 2001 obviously.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I've said it 100 times for those that say going back to seeding is the way to do it so sorry for repeating it but... If the NCAA is setting the seeds and arguments can be made for about anything in these situations then what good would seeding do? They have the tools in their hands to make it regionalized even though there is an illusion of seeding.

Go look at the old seedings and see if you see any difference that what we have now. The teams seemed to mysteriously be seeded in a manner that keeps expenses down...unless it couldn't be helped. It was the same as it is now.

penguinpower
August 10th, 2012, 08:09 PM

I'm still in favor of seeding teams 1 tru 20/24. The current format does not reward teams for their on the field performance.

I recall bidding back in the 1990's. We had some home games because of the attendance and facilities. Back then there were't night games so lighting didn't matter, but I clearly remember bidding and the fact that we led the FCS in attendance so the school could bid higher than anyone else. this gave us a couple of home games that we probably wouldn't have gotten as an independent.