PDA

View Full Version : What is Your School Known For?

BigApp
July 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I've always been intrigued about the education traditions surrounding other colleges and universities. So, to assist with such curiosity, historically speaking, what is your school known for? And, if it has changed, what is it now?

Appalachian is historically known for producing school teachers. However, the last couple of decades has seen that emphasis shift to Business (Accounting, Finance/Insurance/Real Estate).

What about your school?

GannonFan
July 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Delaware has always been a bastion for chemical engineering and chemistry - proximity to the DuPont's originally and now all the pharmaceuticals and Gore's of the world have helped continue that. Still around the top 5 grad schools in the U.S. for Chem Eng if I'm not mistaken.

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Preachers, Politicians and Women Golfers:nod: :D

ncbears
July 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Appalachian is historically known for producing school teachers. However, the last couple of decades has seen that emphasis shift to Business (Accounting, Finance/Insurance/Real Estate).

What about your school?

Much the same at Northern Colorado. Founded as the states Normal school. However, we also have a strong business school. People usually go to UNC either to become a teacher, business person, musician or a nurse.

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Since we are liberal arts, I don't think we have a specialty.

We do have lots of clergy with our Baptist roots, lots of lawyers and therefor, politicians, and lots of doctors. Generally the lawyers take a tour of Columbia and the doctors Charleston after leaving Furman since those advanced degrees are not offered at FU. I have no idea where the preachers go:smiley_wi . We also have a nobel prize winner in physics for the invention of laser (Townes) and the father of Behaviorism (Watson).

Oh yeah, we also have the inventor of the potato chip, or actually the best marketer of the potato chip. Herman Lay

paytonlives
July 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM
University of Montana is known for:

Griz Football
Forestry Dept
Law School
Liberal Arts
Robin Selvig (Women's coach 700 wins)
Men's Basketball Coaches
-Jud Heathcoat (Then coached Michigan State/ Magic Johnson)
-Blaine Taylor (at Old Dominion)
-Mike Montgomery (then coached Stanford and Golden State)
-Larry Krysko (coaches at Milwaukee Bucks)
-Stew Morrill (Now at Utah State)
-Don Holst (Now at Utah State)

Archie Bunker
Granolas
Campus Squirrels

And THE BEST FANS IN AMERICA

Georgia Griz
July 7th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I've always been intrigued about the education traditions surrounding other colleges and universities. So, to assist with such curiosity, historically speaking, what is your school known for? And, if it has changed, what is it now?

What about your school?

Forestry & Biology - And we really mean it when we say 'our backyard is the laboratory'. Hands down, one of the Top 5 Wildlife Biology programs in the nation.

dbackjon
July 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM
NAU started as a Teacher's College.

College of Education is still nationally ranked.

Hotel/Restaurant School is top 10 nationally.

Forestry Department is nationally recognized.

Leader in distance learning (classes held around the state, many via two-way satellite)

One of the top schools in Native American enrollment.

Business School well-regarded.

catbob
July 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM
Agriculture
Engineering
Architecture
Nursing
Accounting (our students are in the top 5 on the CPA pass rate in the country year after year)

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 01:37 PM
UNI:

Education, education, education.

Business school

Top Grad Rate for CPA exam

UNI-Dome

Football

Beating the fugg out of Gateway schools in the above

Basketball

Homecoming riots

Stein pizza

Wrestling

Sanity check for students thinking of going to Iowa or Iowa State.

Place where Ralph threw up on a waitress at a bar.

:nod:

bison95
July 7th, 2006, 01:40 PM
UNI:

Education, education, education.

Business school

UNI-Dome

Football

Beating the fugg out of Gateway schools in the above

Basketball

Homecoming riots

Stein pizza

Wrestling

Sanity check for students thinking of going to Iowa or Iowa State.

Place where Ralph threw up on a waitress at a bar.

:nod:

Now capy, everyone knpws UNI is known for one thing over all others, CHEERLEADERS:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

carney2
July 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
You mean besides football, of course.

I was always intrigued with the marketing line that the Lafayette administration came up with back in the 90s: "The perfect blend of engineering and liberal arts" or something like that. I had this vison of some electrical engineering student taking a course in Shakespeare for enrichment, but wondered how many philosophy majors were enrolled in thermodynamics. It always seemed like a one way street to me - and probably not a very busy one at that.

Anyway, through the 80s and well into the 90s it was regarded as a school with heavy social pressure. That does not necessarily translate into "party school," but rather a school that seemed to attract students who were well endowed with the social graces: great talkers, mixers and organizers. You know, people who make friends easily and seem at ease - even in control - in almost any social situation. That is not necessarily a negative comment. Both of my daughters went through the admissions process during that period and my observations bore that out. (The older one would not have done well in this environment and, luckily, she recognized that fact and moved on. The younger one would have fit perfectly, but it was "Ivy or no count" for her.)

As for academic specialties, I don't know what to say. Placements in graduate and professional schools seem to be very high, and the graduating students seem to get their pick of jobs. In general, I have been very impressed with the graduates that I have met.

I have not answered the question, but I have emptied my gun on this topic.

slycat
July 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
texas state was founded as a teaching college and is still know as such. the geography program has been nationally ranked as well. it is also the only university in texas to graduate a president (LBJ).

walliver
July 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Doctors, lawyers and Methodist ministers.

65 Pard
July 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Basketball coaches, Butch vanBredaKoff, Dr. Tom Davis, Roy Chipman, Pete Carrill

Beating a dead horse, the most played Football rivalry with some school in Bethlehem

Well rounded Engineering students....used to be had to take one Humanistic Elective every semester....dont know if they still do that.

Storied Athletic tradition in Football and Basketball. All Americans, Undefeated seasons playing big time rivals ....Huddle invented here, or so I've heard

Very hight percentage of grads go on for advanced degrees.

Not bad for a small college...

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Lafayette is primarily known for its engineering department across all the specialties... chemical, mechanical, electrical, civil.. we send students to top-notch graduate programs like Stanford, Duke, Georgia Tech.

On the BA side, we renowned for Economics and Business and we send many to Wall St. and other financial jobs. I guess this is best illustrated by William Simon.. energy czar and former Treasury Secretary (ironically, he was a Government and English major I believe).. Michale Moskow, chair of the Federal Reserve of Chicago.. and Alan Griffith, Bank of NY VP. Recently learned a founding WSJ member went here. Maurice Bennett, an All-American, has nice trading job that was profiled.

Also, a very solid Government program... we send a fair amount to strong law schools. History is very strong as well. Humanities are also very strong but we don't like to flaunt that for some reason.

We are formerly known for being the only non-Ivy in DI without any athletic scholarships.... argh...

We invented the huddle and football helmet...

Formerly a big party school...

Pete Carill played here..

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Basketball coaches, Butch vanBredaKoff, Dr. Tom Davis, Roy Chipman, Pete Carrill

Beating a dead horse, the most played Football rivalry with some school in Bethlehem

Well rounded Engineering students....used to be had to take one Humanistic Elective every semester....dont know if they still do that.

Storied Athletic tradition in Football and Basketball. All Americans, Undefeated seasons playing big time rivals ....Huddle invented here, or so I've heard

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Is there how we get the term "Civil Engineer"

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Still do... my friend had to take an elective and he took a few more he enjoyed it so much. That is what that requirement is designed to do..

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Now capy, everyone knpws UNI is known for one thing over all others, CHEERLEADERS:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Sheeit, you're right! That, too!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ucdtim17
July 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ag and Vet programs traditionally, but now we're pretty highly rated in most fields (med, law, engineering, etc). We have over 110 majors and over 70 grad programs, as the most comprehensive UC campus

catbob
July 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
You have to take so many other classes if you are an engineering student, they absolutely hate it. But it makes for a very rounded education.

walliver
July 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM
You have to take so many other classes if you are an engineering student, they absolutely hate it. But it makes for a very rounded education.

All that just to drive a train:D .

TheBisonator
July 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
NDSU is best known for their quality output of architects, engineers and pharmacists. We are also known as one of the top-3 research universities in the Upper Midwest. Biotech, nanotech and agtech are the biggest research fields. A lot of new technology in the region is developed at NDSU. The architects who graduate from here lately seem to make the most money out of all career fields. The pharmacists who graduate from NDSU are in high demand. As are the engineers, because there are so many of them who graduate from here, and the department is GIGANTIC.

In other words, we're like a Silicon Valley school.:)

McTailGator
July 7th, 2006, 02:48 PM

What about your school?

McNeese is well known for producing great teachers tha typically pass the state boards the first time around, which is not easy, but also has great programs in:

Engineering
Agriculture
Nursing and
Business

UNHcats
July 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Buisness
Engineering
Nursing
Hockey
Milking Cows
Picking Crops
Having the greatest football team ever the past 2 years
Having no one go to the Football games

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 7th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Accountants, and, I'm ashamed to say, school-teachers. Yeah, we need schoolteachers, but you know...

CrunchGriz
July 7th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Accountants, and, I'm ashamed to say, school-teachers. Yeah, we need schoolteachers, but you know...

You're ashamed that your school is known for teachers? Huh?!?

There is not a more important job in existence.

Period.

Be proud your school is known for education.

(Admittedly, that's only the opinion of an ex-teacher, but if we don't make each succeeding generation well-educated, our society comes to a screeching halt.)

rokamortis
July 7th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Marine Science
Professional Golf Management
Education

MSUBear42
July 7th, 2006, 04:10 PM
One of the best business,computer science, computer information systems, and music schools in the entire country. Also excelent education program.

Cocky
July 7th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Education
Computer Science
Nursing
Music
Business-Ranked in the top 10%
Miss America-Winner and a few runners-up

JMU Duke Dog
July 7th, 2006, 04:39 PM
James Madison University (JMU) is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia almost in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley and is approximately two hours away from Washington D.C., Richmond, and Roanoke. JMU is predominantly focused on undergraduate studies as there are ~16,300 undergraduate students out of a total enrollment of ~17,000.

Here is our history: http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/aboutjmu/history.shtml
1908: State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg
1914: State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg
1924: State Teachers College at Harrisonburg
1938: Madison College
1977: James Madison University

Biotechnology (one of only ~17 bachelors programs in the nation)
Business (undergraduate program ranked 35th in the entire nation in 2006)
Education
Music
Nursing (probably the most difficult program to get into once at JMU)

DUPFLFan
July 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM
At Drake, most notable from the colleges are Law and Pharmacy.

rufus
July 7th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Education
Music
All of those programs are top notch. Let's be honest though. JMU is known for one thing in Virginia above all else -- ridiculously hot girls. :D

89rabbit
July 7th, 2006, 05:21 PM
On the academic side, Engineering, Military Science (Great ROTC Dept. - West Point of the Plains), Nursing, Pharmacy, and of course all things Ag related (after all we are the State Land Grant).

On the sports side Basketball and Cross Country (8 NCAA D-II National Championships in those sports).

OrneryAggie
July 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Bicycles, and lots of them.

Wine(and beer). A lot of the wine or beer you drink in the western US is somehow related to UCD. The best viticulture program in the US. Some people joke that the university should be renamed UC Mondavi.

Cows. The dairy facility is right next to one of the major freshman dorms so that smell is something many alums never forget.

Ag. Tractor driving is one of the most popular electives on campus. The vet school is also the best in the country.

Quarterbacks. 4 of the last 5 starting ucd qb grads went to play professionally. One CFL MVP, one arena league MVP and champion, and the other 2 led teams to nfl-europe title games. Also current OC Mike Moroski played with the niners and alum Ken O'Brien was a first rounder for the Jets. All of this as a DII school.

Not being in Sacramento

NSUDemon98
July 7th, 2006, 05:48 PM

What about your school?

Northwestern State University - Founded in 1884 as Louisiana Normal School for teachers and nurses.

Obviously known for teaching and nursing. The nursing program was the first state supported nursing program in Louisiana universities.

Music, within the past 15 years or so. Other than LSU, Northwestern is the only university to have it's top concert ensemble perform at the National Convention of C.B.D.N.A. more than once. And in 2003, NSU was 1 of only 4 universities nation wide to have more than participant in the Finals of the Music Teachers National Association competition and 1 of only 30 schools nationwide to even have participants in the finals. That was also the 2nd year in a row NSU had a music student advance to the finals.

Also within the past 5 years is Business. This year the CIS dept. had their string of 5 championships in a row broken coming in 2nd. The business dept. was named by State-Farm as one of the top 5 CIS depts in the country and in 2003 the Business school was mentioned in BusinessWeek magazine for their excellence.

ucdtim17
July 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Bicycles, and lots of them.

Wine(and beer). A lot of the wine or beer you drink in the western US is somehow related to UCD. The best viticulture program in the US. Some people joke that the university should be renamed UC Mondavi.

Cows. The dairy facility is right next to one of the major freshman dorms so that smell is something many alums never forget.

Ag. Tractor driving is one of the most popular electives on campus. The vet school is also the best in the country.

Quarterbacks. 4 of the last 5 starting ucd qb grads went to play professionally. One CFL MVP, one arena league MVP and champion, and the other 2 led teams to nfl-europe title games. Also current OC Mike Moroski played with the niners and alum Ken O'Brien was a first rounder for the Jets. All of this as a DII school.

Not being in Sacramento

and for building a tunnel for frogs under I-80 that they don't use

and for hosting MTV's first Sorority Life

ucdtim17
July 7th, 2006, 06:05 PM
and 36 straight winning seasons

gatadotcom
July 7th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Georgia Southern is best known for:

1. Beautiful Women

2. Being a Party School

3. Winning National Championships

4. Heat, Humidity & Gnats

UAalum72
July 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Founded as the NY State Normal School in 1844, the fourth state normal school in the US and the first outside Massachusetts, became the State College FOR Teachers in 1914 and the State University of New York at Albany in 1962.

College of Nanoscale Science & Engineering
School of Business
School of Education
Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy
School of Criminal Justice
School of Social Welfare
School of Public Health
New York State Writers Institute

and its often-maligned, wind-tunneled concrete campus
http://www.albany.edu/news/photo_archive/albums/main/images/maincampus04.jpg

blackfordpu
July 7th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Sam Houston is well known for it's mass communication department, namely journalism. Having Dan Rather as an alum is a plus for that. :nod:

ucdtim17
July 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
and our giant water tower that faces I-80

http://static.flickr.com/7/8288999_eca208a848.jpg?v=0

BigDukeDawg
July 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
All of those programs are top notch. Let's be honest though. JMU is known for one thing in Virginia above all else -- ridiculously hot girls. :D

5 to 1 ratio of ridiculously hot girls, i know theres a 6 to 1 ratio but theyre not all gorgeous :D

Golden Eagle
July 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Tech's an engineering school, one of the finest in the Southeast.

BEAR
July 7th, 2006, 09:17 PM
UCA is known for:
Teachers, business leaders, cats (by the thousands), squirells, girls, girls girls (7 to 1 ratio) and a few big names like Monte Coleman, willie davis and Scottie Pippen. Other than that not much...oh yeah... did I mention girls? :)

OrneryAggie
July 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
UCA is known for:
Teachers, business leaders, cats (by the thousands), squirells, girls, girls girls (7 to 1 ratio) and a few big names like Monte Coleman, willie davis and Scottie Pippen. Other than that not much...oh yeah... did I mention girls? :)

How do you get by title IX with a 7:1 ratio of women to men? Do you just have football for men and 15 women's sports? Or are you just wearing your boob-blinders and giving the women twice as many votes?

p.s. if the ratio really is 7:1 make sure to bring a bunch of them out to davis when y'all visit this season. and then tell them women in bikinis get in for half price (not true but worth a shot)

ngineer
July 7th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Lehigh has had a reputation for its strong engineering college. Actually, in recent decades the business college and arts & sciences have also become nationally recognized. Significant academic strength is the ability to have interdisciplinary courses. Stunning new Zoellner Performing Arts Center has had significant impact on strengthening the arts programs and bringing first rate performances to the Lehigh Valley that previously one would have to go to NY or Philly to see.
Athletically, Lehigh's #1 claim has been it's wrestling program. #5 in the country in the number of national champions produced and consistently ranked in the top 10. The NCAA Wrestling Hall of Fame even has a special room called the "Lehigh Reading Room" acknowledging the school's unique place in the history of college wrestling. Beyond wrestling, though, Lehigh has been named one of the top 20 schools in the country for it total athletic program taking into account graduation rate, percentage of student participation, and winning programs. Womens softball is starting to make national noise.
Lee Iaccoca and Roger Penske are two of the school's better known alumni. Pete Carrill coached at Lehigh for one year before realizing it was a wrestling school.:D
It's campus has one of the greatest changes in elevation, rising almost 800 feet from the southside of Bethlehem to the top of South Mountain where the Iaccoca Labs are found. Yet is very picturesque with it's gothic towers and lots of trees. Spectacular views into the Pocono Mountains to the north. "Almost Heaven"...;)

RabidRabbit
July 7th, 2006, 11:03 PM
On the academic side, Engineering, Military Science (Great ROTC Dept. - West Point of the Plains), Nursing, Pharmacy, and of course all things Ag related (after all we are the State Land Grant). Also, the Cartography/geography dept. is highly respected by the US Govt. (Defense Mapping Agency has MANY SDSU grads :thumbsup:

On the sports side Basketball and Cross Country (8 NCAA D-II National Championships in those sports).

PRIDE OF THE DAKOTAS Marching Band

JaxSinfonian
July 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Education

Jax State produces more new teachers each year than any other institution in the state. Or so they say. I've never seen the numbers. Among them: a buncha high school band directors from the music department, most of who were part of JSU's top-notch marching band (http://www.marchingsoutherners.org).

Despite all that, education is not the largest program on campus; that would be the College of Commerce & Business Administration.

Saint3333
July 8th, 2006, 09:09 AM
UNI:

2004, last time the CPA exam was taken on paper, ASU was ranked #1 in CPA pass rate.

http://www.news.appstate.edu/releases/112404accounting.html

biobengal
July 8th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Idaho State University is know for:

1. Nuclear Engineering: a result of ISU's proximity to the Idaho National Lab.

2. Idaho Accelerator Center: "houses the former DOE Santa Barbara LINAC, a famous accelerator which had been used by Los Alamos, Sandia and other national laboratories to support nuclear weapons testing"

3. National center for the Doctor of arts program, designed to enhance the instructional capability of college educators.

4. Jeff Meldrum: professor of paleobiology, well known expert on bigfoot.

5. Pharmacy: one of the very first programs on campus

6. Can't forget Holt Arena, first covered football facility on a college campus, first season was in 1970.

HPCAT
July 8th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I tried to pick a variety of academic interests to show how diverse and comprehensive Texas State is. :D

Still honoring its founding as a teachers college, Texas State certifies more teachers than any other school in Texas. It has been recognized by the Association of Teacher Educators as one of the top three teacher education programs in the country and is headquarters for the National Center for School Improvement, the Texas School Safety Center and other education initiatives to meet the challenges of public education today.
The Geography Department has been ranked the largest and one of the best programs in the nation for many years by the Association of American Geographers.
Faculty members in geography, communication studies, business, mathematics and mass communication have been recognized as the best in the nation in their fields. Twelve faculty have been honored as Piper Professors, an annual recognition of the top college faculty in the state.
The physics program was one of five in the nation cited by the American Physical Society for innovation in preparing students for good jobs; others were MIT, LSU, Rutgers and Morehead State.
The technology curriculum is designed to produce a qualified workforce for the high-tech industry, with programs in manufacturing engineering and semiconductor manufacturing. The new Mitte Complex, which opened in fall 2003, includes a state-of-the-art microchip fabrication facility.
The sound recording technology program, housed at Texas State’s unique Fire Station Studio, is the only degree program of its kind in the Southwest.
The stuttering therapy program is the only one of its kind in Texas and the first in the nation.
Texas State is the third most popular choice of colleges for Texas students who apply electronically (about half of students apply on-line).
The National Endowment for the Humanities has designated Texas State the nation’s study center for the Southwest, one of eight such regional centers. Others are at Temple, Tulane, Ohio, Nebraska, California-Davis, Wisconsin, and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities.

McNeese75
July 8th, 2006, 12:30 PM
2004, last time the CPA exam was taken on paper, ASU was ranked #1 in CPA pass rate.

http://www.news.appstate.edu/releases/112404accounting.html

So, do you have computer tech classes at ASU? What happened after they started giving the exam on computer?? :D

paytonlives
July 8th, 2006, 01:37 PM
University of Montana is known for:

Griz Football
Forestry Dept
Law School
Liberal Arts
Robin Selvig (Women's coach 700 wins)
Men's Basketball Coaches
-Jud Heathcoat (Then coached Michigan State/ Magic Johnson)
-Blaine Taylor (at Old Dominion)
-Mike Montgomery (then coached Stanford and Golden State)
-Larry Krysko (coaches at Milwaukee Bucks)
-Stew Morrill (Now at Utah State)
-Don Holst (Now at Utah State)

Archie Bunker
Granolas
Campus Squirrels

And THE BEST FANS IN AMERICA

Just remembered something. The Forester's Ball use to be considered one of the biggest College parties in America, esp when the drinking age was 18. It has however been a lot quieter in the past 10 years.

BigApp
July 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM

what, y'all don't have air conditioning???:rotateh: :rotateh: :rotateh:

bincitysioux
July 8th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Although North Dakota is not officially Division I yet, I'll chime in.

Nationally, UND is recognized as having one of the top Aviation and Space Studies programs in the country. They have the largest fleet of non-military training aircraft in the U.S., and currently operate an airplane that is a "flying research lab" owned by NASA.

Regionally, UND is known for its fine Medical & Law schools, as well as its Nursing and Business schools.

Athletically, the Fighting Sioux are best known for hockey, of course. :thumbsup:

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Two big Furman names in recent news..

1. Charles Townsend. The guy invented the frappin laser for crying out loud. He is also one of only two people in history to both be awarded the Noble Peace Prize and the Templeton Award (for fusing together science and religion). I mean, daggum.

2. Clint Dempsey. ex-furman soccer player netted the only goal of the World Cup for the red, white, and blue. Pretty big stuff.

Killtoppers90
July 8th, 2006, 06:10 PM
WKU:

The #1 Hearst-ranked school for Journalism & Broadcasting (finished in the top 4 for the past 7 years)
Elementary and Secondary Education
Engineering and Biological Sciences
Environmental Sciences
A first-tier masters degree institution by U.S. News
top notch athletics programs across the board (Men's & Women's)
some of the hottest girls in the state

blackfordpu
July 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
WKU:

The #1 Hearst-ranked school for Journalism & Broadcasting (finished in the top 4 for the past 7 years)
Environmental Sciences

A buddy of mine lives in Kentucky and he hasn't seen very many "hot girls" at all. He is really disappointed.

blukeys
July 9th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Delaware has always been a bastion for chemical engineering and chemistry - proximity to the DuPont's originally and now all the pharmaceuticals and Gore's of the world have helped continue that. Still around the top 5 grad schools in the U.S. for Chem Eng if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct Chemical Engineering is the chief claim to fame having a ton of faculty positions endowed by both Dupont and then by Gore!!!!!!!!

UD's Nursing program has also been in the top 10 Nationally for many years.

UD has no weak programs but some of the other strong programs include:
Electrical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Entymology (Funded by the Chicken Industry) and Graduate programs in ...................Theatre Arts!!!!!!!!!xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 9th, 2006, 01:42 AM
Temple is largest issuer of professional degrees in the country and Bill Cosby is our most famous alum. We also have a world renowned medical program although it has taken a few hits the last couple of year thanks mostly to our now former president. Thankfully that university president has since moved on. Our athletic program has also suffered severly under his reign of terro. We historically have one of the strongest crew teams in the country and up until my Fr. year on North Broad we had made 18 consective NCAA tourney's, haven't made it since our Elite 8 run in 2001. I will say that i am very encouraged with the direction that my school is headed. The new president should bring a breath of fresh air to a university that desperately needed it; especially after having to deal with an 8 rule under one of the worst university presidents i can ever imagine.

seantaylor
July 9th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Trim.

Gambit
July 9th, 2006, 03:40 AM
A buddy of mine lives in Kentucky and he hasn't seen very many "hot girls" at all. He is really disappointed.

Must be in Eastern Kentucky. :nod: Richmond area most likely.

MR. CHICKEN
July 9th, 2006, 08:40 AM
UD.....WE OWN UMASS's FUDGE TUNNEL...........xazzx..........BRAWK!

dbackjon
July 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Interesting on how many I-AA schools started life as Teacher's Colleges.

To add for NAU - excellent Nursing and Physical Therapy schools.

Tribe4SF
July 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
W&M

Nation's first Indian School. (GO TRIBE!!!)

Nation's first university.

Second oldest college.

Top-notch undergraduate programs.

Marshall-Wythe School of Law.

Mason School of Business

Virginia Institute of Marine Science

Archeology

Alma Mater of Thomas Jefferson.

ButlerGSU
July 9th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Actually Georgia Southern's highest ranked program according to U.S. News is Nursing which I believe is ranked 9th in the nation.

The most popular major according to the fact book is Marketing but the college of I.T., Business and Education are all strong.

slostang
July 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Cal Poly is known for Agriculture and Engineering:read: . It is also known for being located in the beautiful coastal town of San Luis Obispo which has some of the best year round weather in the world.:thumbsup:

ThreadStopper
July 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Cal Poly is known for Agriculture and Engineering:read: . It is also known for being located in the beautiful coastal town of San Luis Obispo which has some of the best year round weather in the world.:thumbsup:

Slostang, don't forget the archie's

BigDukeDawg
July 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
James Madison University (JMU) is located in Harrisonburg, Virginia almost in the middle of the Shenandoah Valley and is approximately two hours away from Washington D.C., Richmond, and Roanoke. JMU is predominantly focused on undergraduate studies as there are ~16,300 undergraduate students out of a total enrollment of ~17,000.

Here is our history: http://www.jmu.edu/jmuweb/aboutjmu/history.shtml
1908: State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg
1914: State Normal School for Women at Harrisonburg
1924: State Teachers College at Harrisonburg
1938: Madison College
1977: James Madison University

Education
Music

And the best frickin Kinesiology department :hurray:

UAalum72
July 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Interesting on how many I-AA schools started life as Teacher's Colleges.
Probably because Normal Schools are NOT usually their state's flagship university.

bainsey
July 9th, 2006, 10:11 PM
University of Maine. Founded in 1865, centrally located in Orono, Maine.

Academically, best-known programs are in engineering (chemical, electrical, biological, to name a few) and forestry.

Socially, the Princeton Review ranked UM #1 two years ago in "Campus with the Most Things to Do."

Athletically, men's ice hockey reigns supreme (9 Frozen Four appearances, two national championships), but other NCAA tourney appearances have come from baseball, women's basketball, football, and softball.

Best known alumni: Stephen King, Gary Thorne (ESPN), Rudy Vallee, plus many Maine senators and congressmen.

Fun fact: UMaine's "Stein Song" (sung by Vallee in 1930) is the only college fight song to top any record charts. It is also the official alma mater of UMaine. http://www.umaine.edu/stein.htm

Maroons
July 10th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Eastern Kentucky University, like so many others on this board, was founded as a Normal School (despite the protests of UK, who thought all of Kentucky's teachers should be channeled through Lexington.) While we are known as an "Education" school and still operate the only laboratory school in Kentucky, our reputation nationally is defined by our...

College of Justice and Safety. One of the nation's leaders in the field.

Other things of note:
EKU Football since Roy Kidd
A highly accredited business school
Nursing & Occupational Therapy
Music & Special Ed.

Maroons
July 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Hey, Killtoppers... if this were true, your male students wouldn't be having their way with goats (http://www.wkuherald.com/media/storage/paper603/news/2006/05/09/News/Goat-Incident.Shocks.Campus-1983862.shtml?norewrite200607100942&sourcedomain=www.wkuherald.com).

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Lehigh has had a reputation for its strong engineering college. Actually, in recent decades the business college and arts & sciences have also become nationally recognized. Significant academic strength is the ability to have interdisciplinary courses. Stunning new Zoellner Performing Arts Center has had significant impact on strengthening the arts programs and bringing first rate performances to the Lehigh Valley that previously one would have to go to NY or Philly to see.
Athletically, Lehigh's #1 claim has been it's wrestling program. #5 in the country in the number of national champions produced and consistently ranked in the top 10. The NCAA Wrestling Hall of Fame even has a special room called the "Lehigh Reading Room" acknowledging the school's unique place in the history of college wrestling. Beyond wrestling, though, Lehigh has been named one of the top 20 schools in the country for it total athletic program taking into account graduation rate, percentage of student participation, and winning programs. Womens softball is starting to make national noise.
Lee Iaccoca and Roger Penske are two of the school's better known alumni. Pete Carrill coached at Lehigh for one year before realizing it was a wrestling school.:D
It's campus has one of the greatest changes in elevation, rising almost 800 feet from the southside of Bethlehem to the top of South Mountain where the Iaccoca Labs are found. Yet is very picturesque with it's gothic towers and lots of trees. Spectacular views into the Pocono Mountains to the north. "Almost Heaven"...;)

Yeah your right... almost... heaven is 15miles to the east, located atop a Hill in Easton. :rotateh:

dbackjon
July 10th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Hey, Killtoppers... if this were true, your male students wouldn't be having their way with goats (http://www.wkuherald.com/media/storage/paper603/news/2006/05/09/News/Goat-Incident.Shocks.Campus-1983862.shtml?norewrite200607100942&sourcedomain=www.wkuherald.com).

xlolx xlolx xlolx

LUHawker
July 10th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah your right... almost... heaven is 15miles to the east, located atop a Hill in Easton. :rotateh:

That's right a hill, not a mountain, a hill that Lehigh looks down upon, literally. :D

eaglessoar20021
July 10th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Winning National Titles

Killtoppers90
July 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Hey I cannot speak for those "farm boys" but I have seen/had my fair share of lovely ladies on the Hill.

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
That's right a hill, not a mountain, a hill that Lehigh looks down upon, literally. :D

Ha seriously... who builds their school on the side of a mountain? Just doesn't make sense... We built ours on top of the hill.. now that's convenience. :rotateh:

NoDak 4 Ever
July 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
NDSU is best known for their quality output of architects, engineers and pharmacists. We are also known as one of the top-3 research universities in the Upper Midwest. Biotech, nanotech and agtech are the biggest research fields. A lot of new technology in the region is developed at NDSU. The architects who graduate from here lately seem to make the most money out of all career fields. The pharmacists who graduate from NDSU are in high demand. As are the engineers, because there are so many of them who graduate from here, and the department is GIGANTIC.

In other words, we're like a Silicon Valley school.:)

Oh yeah, all those opportunities and I get a freakin Speech Communication Degree! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

COLONELSINCE78
July 10th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Eastern Kentucky University, like so many others on this board, was founded as a Normal School (despite the protests of UK, who thought all of Kentucky's teachers should be channeled through Lexington.) While we are known as an "Education" school and still operate the only laboratory school in Kentucky, our reputation nationally is defined by our...

College of Justice and Safety. One of the nation's leaders in the field.

Other things of note:
EKU Football since Roy Kidd
A highly accredited business school
Nursing & Occupational Therapy
Music & Special Ed.

One specific part of Justice and Safety is the Forensic Science program. It is the only nationally accredited four-year program in the country

Wmbgskip
July 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Other W&M alums, in addition to TJ -

President's James Monroe and John Tyler. George Washington got his Surveyor's License at the College as well.
Chief Justice John Marshall
Two signers of the Declaration of Independence
Multiple members of the Continental Congress
Henry Clay, famed 19th century statesman and Secretary of State
General Winfield Scott, who was a general officer from 1814-1861
Actress Glenn Close
Comedian Patton Oswalt
Daily Show host Jon Stewart
William Barton Rogers, Founder of MIT
George Wythe, signer of the Declaration, Continental Congressman, and first law professor in America
Raymond Mason, founder of Legg Mason, Inc
Mark McCormack, founder of IMG and the modern sports agency system
Dave Brown, died on the space shuttle Columbia
Darren Sharper, NFL safety

The College is also known for having an obscenely difficult undergraduate program. Professor Emeritus Hans Tiefel was once famously ordered to stop failing every student in his class. Also, campus lore states that admissions officers for graduate schools routinely add half of a point to the GPA of any W&M applicant to normalize it with the national average.

--Skip

RadMann
July 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Delaware is known primarily for Chem engineering, Business and certain Arts and Science subjects. The school was long closely associated with the DuPont family and company with many of the university's buildings named for various family members. Much of the classic Georgian campus is a direct result of the generosity of the family. For those not familiar with the DuPonts, they were/are a family of French Hugenot (protestant) immigrants from around the time of the american revolution who were big initially in gun powder production and later in chemicals.

ngineer
July 10th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Ha seriously... who builds their school on the side of a mountain? Just doesn't make sense... We built ours on top of the hill.. now that's convenience. :rotateh:

Well, originally, you're correct. However, it seems the past few years LC has decided that moving down the 'hill' is not so bad. Starting to take over the Bushkill Creek floodplain just north of route 22..:rotateh:

EKU05
July 10th, 2006, 11:11 PM
EKU was also origianlly a teacher's college and many still go there for that (myself included...as well as the history faculty which are second to none in KY).

We have been rated as the #1 criminal justice school in the country several times, and the same is true for Fire and Safety. We are the #1 Nursing school in the state, and the only school in KY where you can become an occupational therapist (as in all 6 years you need to do it) at one school.

Finally, as my buddy JJ knows all too well, we are (or were until very recently) the only completely accredited program for forensic science in the US, and have been rated by many as the best school in the country for that as well. Only 14 schools even offer FS as a major.

I'm also told that back the 1980s Playboy magazine rated us as high as the #2 party school in the country...lol. But then again I was 6 when the 80s ended so what do I know. There's still plenty of partying in Richmond though. Until about 3 years ago all of the bars were 18 and over, so even all of the UK students would come to Richmond on Thursday nights.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2006, 11:17 PM
If this was the smack thread..I'd say..Georgia Southern--Chitlin' Cookin'.

gophoenix
July 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Elon:
Historically - Teaching, Journalism
Now - Add in Physical Therapy, Business and now a focus on Law

EKU05
July 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
One specific part of Justice and Safety is the Forensic Science program. It is the only nationally accredited four-year program in the country

You would think that wouldn't you? Most are shocked to realize that EKU actually classifies Forensic Science under the College of Arts and Sciences rather than the College of Justice and Safety. My friend, who came to EKU from New Jersey for FS, always hated that and had a Justice and Safety sticker on the back of his Jeep anyway.

Despite going to college to teach high school my degree actually came from Arts and Sciences as well rather than from the College of Education...due to the fact that a secondary ed. student's major is technically whatever subject they are trying to teach...in my case History.

65 Pard
July 11th, 2006, 12:24 PM

All kidding aside, Lehigh's campus is one of the most beautiful I have seen.....I remember (I think) walking into the first floor of a dorm, going up to the third floor and walking out the rear of the building ...
I miss Taylor stadium, great place for a game and 16,000 fans never echoed so loudly off the side of any mountain...

Beautiful buildings aside, I still did not enjoy writing those tuition checks for my son made out to Lehigh U.:smiley_wi

LUHawker
July 11th, 2006, 12:41 PM
All kidding aside, Lehigh's campus is one of the most beautiful I have seen.....I remember (I think) walking into the first floor of a dorm, going up to the third floor and walking out the rear of the building ...
I miss Taylor stadium, great place for a game and 16,000 fans never echoed so loudly off the side of any mountain...

Beautiful buildings aside, I still did not enjoy writing those tuition checks for my son made out to Lehigh U.:smiley_wi

But it's good to see that your offspring is doing better than his parents. :D

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 02:45 PM

It's too late now, but you need to get some backbone. One of my classmates was in the same boat. His daughter's first admissions acceptance was from Lehigh. She was, of course, overjoyed - that is, until Dad got home and told her that she could attend Lehigh if she wanted, but had better come up with a plan for how whe was going to pay for it. She is now a Lafayette grad, like her father.

I went a step farther. I would not allow an application to be mailed to Bethlehem.

65 Pard
July 11th, 2006, 03:08 PM
It's too late now, but you need to get some backbone. One of my classmates was in the same boat. His daughter's first admissions acceptance was from Lehigh. She was, of course, overjoyed - that is, until Dad got home and told her that she could attend Lehigh if she wanted, but had better come up with a plan for how whe was going to pay for it. She is now a Lafayette grad, like her father.

I went a step farther. I would not allow an application to be mailed to Bethlehem.

Gimme a break....Son went to LU for grad school only.......LC is undergrad only college.

65 Pard
July 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
But it's good to see that your offspring is doing better than his parents. :D

He needed an LU MBA to equalize my LC undergrad....I retired comfortably at 59....Hope he can do the same

Pards Rule
July 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
And my Dad retired at 49 as a Bucknell grad as only a 40% owner of an exterior Hanna Auto Wash :)

citdog
July 11th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Citadel Cadets fired the first shot of The War for Southern Independence, on the Yankee supply steamer "Star of the West" on 9 January, 1861. Cadet George Haynesworth had the honor of firing the first shot in defense of the Southern Confederacy.

Shannon Faulkner

dbackjon
July 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Citadel Cadets fired the first shot of The War for Southern Independence, on the Yankee supply steamer "Star of the West" on 9 January, 1861. Cadet George Haynesworth had the honor of firing the first shot in defense of the Southern Confederacy.

Shannon Faulkner

Holey Moley - a citdog sighting......

Yes - Shannon Faulker - American Hero :)

galojay
July 11th, 2006, 06:19 PM
WKU:

Environmental Sciences

Let me also mention the National and International winning Forensics (speech and debate) Team. The have won the International title 7 of the last 8 years. I would list the national awards, but their are too many to begin to list.

Also, the Concrete Canoe team has been to the national competition the last 10 years, finishing in the top 10 on six occasions.

Of course our Men's Basketball is one of the top teams in NCAA history, with Top ten rankings in wins, winning percentages, conference championships, and 20-win seasons.

We also created the towel waving tradition, before the Steelers!

BigApp
July 11th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Yes - Shannon Faulker - American Hero
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :nonono2: :nonono2: xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :rolleyes: xidiotx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :anim_chai :pumpuke:

JohnStOnge
July 11th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Yes - Shannon Faulker - American Hero :)

One of many manifestations of a tyrannical and out of control Judiciary.

chrisattsu
July 11th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Texas State also features
1. One of the Top Communication Design programs in the Southwest.
2. Technically developer of the Tracs project. A classroom management system that is designed to let students and teachers interact outside of the classroom. Only 9 other schools in the nation have the level of development that we do some of which are- MIT, Stanford, and UMich.

As mentioned above we also started as a Normal school and evolved into the state's premier party school:rolleyes: the administration has been in the process of sheding this image, but its still really strong.

Chi Panther
July 11th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Other W&M alums, in addition to TJ -

President's James Monroe and John Tyler. George Washington got his Surveyor's License at the College as well.
Chief Justice John Marshall
Two signers of the Declaration of Independence
Multiple members of the Continental Congress
Henry Clay, famed 19th century statesman and Secretary of State
General Winfield Scott, who was a general officer from 1814-1861
Actress Glenn Close
Comedian Patton Oswalt
Daily Show host Jon Stewart
William Barton Rogers, Founder of MIT
George Wythe, signer of the Declaration, Continental Congressman, and first law professor in America
Raymond Mason, founder of Legg Mason, Inc
Mark McCormack, founder of IMG and the modern sports agency system
Dave Brown, died on the space shuttle Columbia
Darren Sharper, NFL safety

The College is also known for having an obscenely difficult undergraduate program. Professor Emeritus Hans Tiefel was once famously ordered to stop failing every student in his class. Also, campus lore states that admissions officers for graduate schools routinely add half of a point to the GPA of any W&M applicant to normalize it with the national average.

--Skip

SOO impressive for many reasons.....used to work with a W&M Grad....

The only thing UNI has on W&M is Darren Sharper played his last college game in the UNI Dome......and was that exciting!!!!!:thumbsup:

Any connection with George Wythe State Park in Waterloo, IA named after the fine gentleman above?????

MR. CHICKEN
July 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
WHAT ARE WE KNOWN FO'...YER KIDDIN' RIGHT?....DERE'S UH KEG......ON EVERAH PORCH........FROM CLEVELAND AVE....TA ACADEMY STREET....TA ELKTON ROAD...TA.....SOUTH COLLEGE AVE....TA........CHOATE STREET.....TA........WEST PARK PLACE...TA........KELLS AVE...TA.....YADDA, YADDA, YADDA........:rolleyes:.........AWK!

RadMann
July 11th, 2006, 10:43 PM
UD had three graduates who were signers of the Declaration of Independence one of whom signed both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, but I don't think that UD is "known" for this, In fact, barely anyone knows it. I just looked it up... lol

crunifan
July 12th, 2006, 02:22 AM
UNI hasn't placed first in the CPA pass rate for a couple years now, but it has placed first many years in a row and has been in the top 10 for the past 15 years now.

UNI is a great education, business, and music school.

Pard4Life
July 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM
He needed an LU MBA to equalize my LC undergrad....I retired comfortably at 59....Hope he can do the same

Retiring early... now that's quite nice... I can only wish to do the same.. still being very young, it seems like everything out there is extemely expensive would be difficult to do. Simply put, one needs an advanced degree nowadays, and even that is no garuntee to a healthy income. I should have taken more economics courses :rolleyes:

On that note, I'd have no problem going to Lehigh for grad school. It's not like you would have to root for or support their athletics, but having a Lehigh degree next to a Lafayette one would be pretty comical on a resume. Plus it's a nice campus, great school and it's fun to visit.

Although carney has already declared I forefit my diploma, many Pardsters these days enjoy the Lehigh crowd.. except when it comes to athletics... then it's just scream for blood and knock heads.

OL FU
July 12th, 2006, 08:48 AM
UD had three graduates who were signers of the Declaration of Independence one of whom signed both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution, but I don't think that UD is "known" for this, In fact, barely anyone knows it. I just looked it up... lol

I think Furman had a few alums and at least one president who voted for the articles of secession:o

pete4256
July 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM

No, I don't know. If I were uncivilized, I 'd say **** you.

Cap'n Cat
July 12th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Yeah, WTF is the matter with you?

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

turfdoc
July 12th, 2006, 05:12 PM
We are also known as one of the top-3 research universities in the Upper Midwest.

Now I am a big NDSU fan and would be proud to be an alum or associated with the University.

I hate to do this but I have to.

Define the upper midwest.

blukeys
July 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM

This is news as I did not know that Thomas McKean, George Read, and the legendary Caesar Rodney were all UD grads!!!!:hurray: :hurray:

Did John Dickinson also attend at UD???

He spent most of his life in Delaware.