PDA

View Full Version : Sanford giving out money left and right to the Dakota public flagships

MplsBison
August 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/370184/

Sanford Health is giving $20 million to the University of South Dakota for a new arena. It is the third significant financial move for the Dakotas-based health network in less than a week.

The university last year began raising money for a proposed $50 million basketball and volleyball arena and adjoining sports medicine building that would connect to the existing DakotaDome. The university is “thrilled” with the Sanford donation, President Jim Abbott told the Argus Leader newspaper.

Officials also announced last week that Sanford is giving $10 million to South Dakota State University for an indoor multisport practice facility.

So that covers South Dakota.

In North Dakota, Sanford got naming rights on the BSA renovation and I believe that was either 5 or 10 million.

I've also read where they were interested in making a donation towards UND's indoor practice facility.

This is the same guy who was originally slated to give the U of Minnesota a 35 million gift towards their new stadium some years ago. That didn't happen for some reason.

All hail King Sanford!

Basically, if you want health care in the Dakotas ... you better have your Sanford ID card ready! xnodx

darell1976
August 9th, 2012, 12:19 PM

In North Dakota, Sanford got naming rights on the BSA renovation and I believe that was either 5 or 10 million.

I've also read where they were interested in making a donation towards UND's indoor practice facility.

This is the same guy who was originally slated to give the U of Minnesota a 35 million gift towards their new stadium some years ago. That didn't happen for some reason.

All hail King Sanford!

Basically, if you want health care in the Dakotas ... you better have your Sanford ID card ready! xnodx

I go to Essentia.:D

Kemo
August 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM

All hail King Sanford!

Just to be clear, there are two Sanfords in the Dakota's that have been making large donations: T. Denny Sanford (the individual who made his money in banking/credit) and Sanford Health (the hospital system that is named after T. Denny Sanford after he donated like $500 million to the former Sioux Valley Hospital).

NDSU's arena/sports complex, SDSU's fieldhouse/human performance building, and USD's arena/sports complex all received donations from the Sanford Hospital System, not the man. If I remember correctly, SDSU's Dykhouse Student Athlete Center received a $4 million donation from Sanford the individual.

344Johnson
August 9th, 2012, 03:00 PM
His donations to the hospital system is around $700 million now I think.

citdog
August 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I would have thought that Sanford would have given money for a hospital along the appalachian trail somewhere.

Kemo
August 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM
His donations to the hospital system is around $700 million now I think.
Couldn't remember the exact figures, but I know it was a ridiculous amount.

bisonguy
August 9th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Just to be clear, there are two Sanfords in the Dakota's that have been making large donations: Denny T. Sanford (the individual who made his money in banking/credit) and Sanford Health (the hospital system that is named after Denny T. Sanford after he donated like $500 million to the former Sioux Valley Hospital).

NDSU's arena/sports complex, SDSU's fieldhouse/human performance building, and USD's arena/sports complex all received donations from the Sanford Hospital System, not the man. If I remember correctly, SDSU's Dykhouse Student Athlete Center received a $4 million donation from Sanford the individual.

FWIW, It's T. Denny Sanford, not Denny T. Sanford.

Kemo
August 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM
FWIW, It's T. Denny Sanford, not Denny T. Sanford.

Correct. My dyslexia got the best of me. I'll edit it on the original post.