PDA

View Full Version : CAA now looking for basketball schools only?

The Cats
August 9th, 2012, 10:59 AM
With the lastest addition of Stony Brook and Albany to the CAA Football conference, I don't think they are now looking for any southern football teams at this point, only basketball (all sport teams) for the CAA.

Yeager won't discuss candidates, but the Richomd Times-Dispatch quotes him as saying, "Right now, football is stable. We've got everything where we want it as far as the minimum. Now, it's just getting the all-sports membership taken care of." and he added, "there isn't any directional initiative" and he doesn't anticipate more football additions at this point.

It would then seem that ASU, Elon, Furman, and Wofford are now off the table. I have no idea if they declined or were not actually offered, but it seems that CAA football will not be coming back south any time soon.

However, Charleston, Davidson, & UNCG would meet their needs nicely for basketball (and all-sports). Maybe the SoCon will become a football conference once again, real soon.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/aug/09/tdsport02-caa-turns-attention-to-all-sports-member-ar-2118304/

aceinthehole
August 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Yep, the CAA needs 1 or 3 basketball addtions. Adding just 2 teams doesn't help at all.

My guess today is they just add Charleston and stay at 10, unless Charleston really wants those 2 additional "Southern" teams such as Davidson & UNCG for travel purposes.

bluehenbillk
August 9th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I think you're reading into that wrong. Yeager is talking about football-only affiliates, like Albany & Stony Brook are. I still think that bringing in a school(s) for all-sports including football is on the table.

MplsBison
August 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Depends on what URI does. If they stick with their NEC commitment then for sure no more football teams will be added to the CAA FC.

That probably points to just adding CoC as UNCW's travel partner, for now.

The Cats
August 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think you're reading into that wrong. Yeager is talking about football-only affiliates, like Albany & Stony Brook are. I still think that bringing in a school(s) for all-sports including football is on the table.

You could be right, but I don't think so. Yeager said "Right now, football is stable. We've got everything where we want it as far as the minimum. Now, it's just getting the all-sports membership taken care of."

IMO, all-sports membership= non-football schools + their other sports

TheDancinMonarch
August 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM
They let their basketball schools get away a few months ago. Georgia State got away too! :D

MplsBison
August 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
They let their basketball schools get away a few months ago. Georgia State got away too! :D

GMU wanted out too, but GW blocked them from getting in the A10.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 9th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Or GMU realized that they were suddenly in a pretty nice position in the CAA with VCU leaving. The A-10 may get an extra tourney invite or two compared to the CAA for now, but the competition at the top is also tougher.

VCU in particular is going to have a rough ride in the A-10 now that they lose the massive home court advantage they've enjoyed in the CAA where the conference tournament was basically on their campus.

MplsBison
August 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
It's just so tough for me to trust anything that any Delaware fan is saying about the CAA.

They're all so bitter and jaded that things have not worked out the way they wanted.

NHwildEcat
August 9th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Yawn.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Or GMU realized that they were suddenly in a pretty nice position in the CAA with VCU leaving. The A-10 may get an extra tourney invite or two compared to the CAA for now, but the competition at the top is also tougher.

With losing Temple, the A-10's usual numbers are probably the same as where it was before (2, 3, maybe a fourth every few years or so), but the 14-team ACC will be expecting at least eight, and while the 18-team Big East won't be getting 10, there's still enough good talent for six or seven.

The problem for Mason is that the CAA risks rejoining the one-bid leagues.

fc97
August 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
the comment is read wrong, there is multiple places where the comment is expanded and he is saying that football only is a step and what they are looking for now is ALL sports members, not football only.

elon, furman, app, charleston and davidson are all on the table

big difference in saying football expansion is over and saying we are focusing on all sports expansion

henfan
August 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
They're all so bitter and jaded that things have not worked out the way they wanted.

Let's see. In Fall 2000, UD sought membership in the CAA as a means of landing all sports under a single conference umbrella. Check. The school also hoped that they would be moving into a conference that would be more competitive while providing them with exposure broader than what they would have otherwise received in their former conference. Check and check. They've managed to maintain their longest-standing rivalries with their primeary MBB & FB foes (DU & VU) and picked up all-sport rivalries with W&M, JMU & TU. Check. The school couldn't have imagined that affiliating with the CAA would have brought them a national TV deal, so that's worked out much better than UD expected. So, how exactly has the CAA not worked out for UD? xlolx

BearsCountry
August 9th, 2012, 02:43 PM
You would think they would be really trying hard to get Davidson. Being pretty close to Charlotte, excellent academics, has some rep nationally, and they have a pretty good working arrangement with Duke for hoops.

fc97
August 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
what youre now seeing is a group of 5-6 schools in discussions of a package. charleston is being public on the matter for pr, the rest of working closed door, quietly on the rest. and it is all interdependent. and this is why charleston bot and ad asid they were waiting to see who was coming with them.

DFW HOYA
August 9th, 2012, 03:02 PM
what youre now seeing is a group of 5-6 schools in discussions of a package.

What conference can absorb six schools?

Sitting Bull
August 9th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Well recently, I can think of the Big East and CUSA...

fc97
August 9th, 2012, 03:13 PM
any conference looking to add 5 expected 2 to leave and wanting a large division of north and south schools for your two big sports

davidson and charleston give the two they want but also an uneven number. one more brings it even, and two pads it expecting another two to leave later

mainejeff
August 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM
It's just so tough for me to trust anything that any Delaware fan is saying about the CAA.

xthumbsupxxbowxxlovex

Sycamore51
August 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I've always thought Youngstown would fit pretty good in the CAA in all sports. If I were the caa I would try to grab them, wright st, and Cleveland st. That would move you into eastern Ohio and bring a football traditional power plus two decent basketball schools

fc97
August 9th, 2012, 09:55 PM
so the travel problem for 2 schools becomes even worse?

BlueHenSinfonian
August 9th, 2012, 10:01 PM
so the travel problem for 2 schools becomes even worse?

Complaints about travel in the CAA need to be taken with a grain of salt. If a conference like the Big Sky, which has a much larger distance between schools than the CAA, can make it work, the CAA can figure it out.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM
and can you tell me what sports outside of football that the big sky is known for? and i think it is largely different when a conference has to have travel because of the minimal number of schools in an area vs a conference that chooses to overlook regional schools to be a more territorial setup.

w&m and uncw have valid arguments. why spend tons on travel when you can pull in a few schools in the same large region (mass to carolinas) and same on the travel budget to improve on the product.

nj alum
August 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
w&m and uncw have valid arguments. why spend tons on travel when you can pull in a few schools in the same large region (mass to carolinas) and same on the travel budget to improve on the product.

As a W&M grad, let me point out a few things.

First, W&M left the SoCon, and later joined the Yankee. As such, Tribe football left the more travel-friendly SoCon, and became a southern outpost in the less travel-friendly Yankee. For W&M, it's more about institutional fit.

Second, W&M football never publicly squawked about the travel. In fact, in a recent unbalanced year, W&M took an extra trip up north, and "took one for the league".

Third, with the loss of ODU and VCU, the all-sports CAA is less Virginia-centric. IMO, that is a good thing, and will allow W & M to "breathe", especially in hoops. Once again, for W & M, I think the issue will be institutional fit over travel.

Waco Kid
August 10th, 2012, 09:56 AM
the comment is read wrong, there is multiple places where the comment is expanded and he is saying that football only is a step and what they are looking for now is ALL sports members, not football only.

big difference in saying football expansion is over and saying we are focusing on all sports expansion

App is off the table, but there is another school in the mix to take our place on that list.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
App is off the table, but there is another school in the mix to take our place on that list.

yes, but you know what i meant.

TheDancinMonarch
August 10th, 2012, 12:10 PM

More likely that the admin at GMU, specifically the President, was unwilling to pull the trigger as he is less than an ardent sports fan. One of the reasons Larranaga left, I'm pretty sure. One of those handwriting on the wall situations.

whitey
August 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM
More likely that the admin at GMU, specifically the President, was unwilling to pull the trigger as he is less than an ardent sports fan. One of the reasons Larranaga left, I'm pretty sure. One of those handwriting on the wall situations.

I thought it was the AD would let Larry walk? Also, I think Mason was in a similar position as to JMU the last few months in that the school President was retiring and a new one was coming up to speed.

MplsBison
August 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I've always thought Youngstown would fit pretty good in the CAA in all sports. If I were the caa I would try to grab them, wright st, and Cleveland st. That would move you into eastern Ohio and bring a football traditional power plus two decent basketball schools

Please do take YSU for football!

MplsBison
August 10th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Let's see. In Fall 2000, UD sought membership in the CAA as a means of landing all sports under a single conference umbrella. Check. The school also hoped that they would be moving into a conference that would be more competitive while providing them with exposure broader than what they would have otherwise received in their former conference. Check and check. They've managed to maintain their longest-standing rivalries with their primeary MBB & FB foes (DU & VU) and picked up all-sport rivalries with W&M, JMU & TU. Check. The school couldn't have imagined that affiliating with the CAA would have brought them a national TV deal, so that's worked out much better than UD expected. So, how exactly has the CAA not worked out for UD? xlolx

Delaware has never had all sports under a single CAA umbrella. That's your fantasy.

Your football team is under the separate entity of CAA football. It's the exact same as the MVC-MVFC relationship.

The CAA is now a one-bid to the Men's bball tournament, not that Delaware has ever competed for the CAA's bids anyway. No advantage there over the AE.

I do agree it's nice that your school single-handedly strong-armed the basketball TV deal into including Delaware football. We'll see how long that lasts now that the CAA has no name brands to offer viewers in college bball. Hopefully Davidson comes to your rescue there.

MplsBison
August 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM

You read what you want to read. It's obvious you're trying as hard as you can to get Elon into the CAA for all sports. Good luck to you. I would bet it isn't even on the table, behind closed doors.

They're taking CoC, done deal, and they're doing the best they can to get Davidson to come over alone. If URI stays in the football conference, doesn't really matter.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM
You read what you want to read. It's obvious you're trying as hard as you can to get Elon into the CAA for all sports. Good luck to you. I would bet it isn't even on the table, behind closed doors.

They're taking CoC, done deal, and they're doing the best they can to get Davidson to come over alone. If URI stays in the football conference, doesn't really matter.

it amazes me that you try so hard to post this garbage. i'll take your bet and make lots of money off you. why dont you stick to threads about your school and leave the grown up talk to the rest of us. cause, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. its like you dont read papers, listen to results of meetings or bother looking at any of this.

and whether elon, davidson, furman or whoever goes from the socon, at the end of the day; youre still wrong.

dont you get tired of being wrong

MplsBison
August 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
it amazes me that you try so hard to post this garbage. i'll take your bet and make lots of money off you. why dont you stick to threads about your school and leave the grown up talk to the rest of us. cause, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. its like you dont read papers, listen to results of meetings or bother looking at any of this.

and whether elon, davidson, furman or whoever goes from the socon, at the end of the day; youre still wrong.

dont you get tired of being wrong

Don't you get tired of not using punctuation?

Try adding something to the thread instead of just hurling insults. Now that would be "grown up".

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 01:11 PM
in other words, another post of opinions with no facts to back it up, articles to back it up on a subject you know nothing about?

MplsBison
August 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
in other words, another post of opinions with no facts to back it up, articles to back it up on a subject you know nothing about?

Sorry, I forgot about all those articles you posted saying that Elon is negotiating with the CAA and CAA FC for full memberhsip.

fc97
August 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
why would i post them, there were two posted here without me doing it

again, this isnt about elon. this is about you running your mouth about a subject that you only know from reading message boards. go to news.google.com and at least educate yourself on what has been published. seriously, it would help us all out.

TheDancinMonarch
August 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I thought it was the AD would let Larry walk? Also, I think Mason was in a similar position as to JMU the last few months in that the school President was retiring and a new one was coming up to speed.

Maybe the AD tested the wind direction and strength and decided he wanted to keep his job.

henfan
August 10th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Delaware has never had all sports under a single CAA umbrella. That's your fantasy.

Your football team is under the separate entity of CAA football. It's the exact same as the MVC-MVFC relationship.

The CAA is now a one-bid to the Men's bball tournament, not that Delaware has ever competed for the CAA's bids anyway. No advantage there over the AE.

I do agree it's nice that your school single-handedly strong-armed the basketball TV deal into including Delaware football. We'll see how long that lasts now that the CAA has no name brands to offer viewers in college bball. Hopefully Davidson comes to your rescue there.

While the Association & CAA FB are separate legal entities, they are indeed administered under the very same umbrella called the CAA. Sports are branded & marketed in that manner by UD, TU, JMU and W&M, media contracts are negotiated as a single entity by the CAA, the CAA website is set up as a single site, etc. These four schools and all of the others participating in CAA FB are promoting the CAA brand, not the Atlantic 10, America East, or Metro Atlantic. Feel free to argue with yourself about that one, if you choose.

Again, UD joined the CAA, in large part, because it was a more competitive conference across the board compared with the AEC. The CAA was not receiving multiple NCAA MBB bids when the decision to switch conference occurred in 2000, so that had zippo to do with it. If UD was the least bit interested in joining a conference for that sole purpose, they wouldn't have turned down the A-10's offer in 1997. There are far more important issues than the number of MBB bids a conference receives.

Do tell how UD "strong-armed" NBCSports or CAA into an advantageous TV deal. It would come as a complete surprise to Delaware, a state without its own TV station, that the Blue Hens hold massive influence over a major network. xlolx

The Cats
August 10th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Many in the SoCon would welcome CoC, Davidson, and UNCG leaving. Then there would be only football playing schools remaining in the conference.

MplsBison
August 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM
why would i post them, there were two posted here without me doing it

again, this isnt about elon. this is about you running your mouth about a subject that you only know from reading message boards. go to news.google.com and at least educate yourself on what has been published. seriously, it would help us all out.

There has been nothing published with a quote from anyone who actually works for Elon or anyone who actually works for the CAA conference saying that Elon is being considered for membership. None that I recall seeing.

Feel free to post it if you have it.

MplsBison
August 11th, 2012, 11:36 AM
While the Association & CAA FB are separate legal entities, they are indeed administered under the very same umbrella called the CAA. Sports are branded & marketed in that manner by UD, TU, JMU and W&M, media contracts are negotiated as a single entity by the CAA, the CAA website is set up as a single site, etc. These four schools and all of the others participating in CAA FB are promoting the CAA brand, not the Atlantic 10, America East, or Metro Atlantic. Feel free to argue with yourself about that one, if you choose.

Again, UD joined the CAA, in large part, because it was a more competitive conference across the board compared with the AEC. The CAA was not receiving multiple NCAA MBB bids when the decision to switch conference occurred in 2000, so that had zippo to do with it. If UD was the least bit interested in joining a conference for that sole purpose, they wouldn't have turned down the A-10's offer in 1997. There are far more important issues than the number of MBB bids a conference receives.

Do tell how UD "strong-armed" NBCSports or CAA into an advantageous TV deal. It would come as a complete surprise to Delaware, a state without its own TV station, that the Blue Hens hold massive influence over a major network. xlolx

If the CAA wasn't receiving any more than the one-bid that the AEC was getting back when Delaware ditched them, then there was no competitive reason for moving. BBall is all that matters, when it comes to all-sports, non-football conferences. Trying to feign otherwise is very dishonest.

Clearly, it was 100% based on the AEC's lack of willingness to pursue football. That's a suitable reason in itself, no reason for you to try hiding from that.

Likewise, as you've now confirmed for me - the CAA and the CAA FC are separate legal entities. That is correct.

The TV contract was just going to be for bball - mainly to get VCU and GMU on TV in the Virginia/Marlyland/DC area. UD strongarmed them into getting football added to the mix - else they threatened to leave the conference.