PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steel Preseason Poll and how MVFC is positoned in the Poll

penguinpower
August 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Youngstown State has been tabbed as the No. 4 team in the Phil Steele FCS Preseason Top-40 poll announced today by the Phil Steele’s FCS College Football Preview magazine.

1. Sam Houston State
2. James Madison
3. Montana State
4. Youngstown State
5. Wofford
6. N. Dakota State
21. Illinois State
26. Southern Illinois
33. Indiana State

Damnit This is bad. I hate when we are a target. We go from not being on any list to full blown target. How does that happen?

Sam_Kats
August 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
A win over the Nat'l Champions last year probably plays a role.

Professor Chaos
August 9th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Youngstown State has been tabbed as the No. 4 team in the Phil Steele FCS Preseason Top-40 poll announced today by the Phil Steele’s FCS College Football Preview magazine.

1. Sam Houston State
2. James Madison
3. Montana State
4. Youngstown State
5. Wofford
6. N. Dakota State
21. Illinois State
26. Southern Illinois
33. Indiana State

Damnit This is bad. I hate when we are a target. We go from not being on any list to full blown target. How does that happen?
UNI was at #15 also.

A win over the Nat'l Champions last year probably plays a role.
But apparently the loss the next week to Missouri St with a playoff berth on the line didn't...

MSUBear42
August 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM
UNI was at #15 also.

But apparently the loss the next week to Missouri St with a playoff berth on the line didn't...

Was thinking the same.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
UNI was at #15 also.

No offense to MSU but that was one of those hangover losses. Happens all the time. YSU upset #1 NDSU on the road and knew all they had to do was beat MSU and they were in the playoffs. They probably partied the next week because they had not beat a #1 team in a long time, that staff never had there and neither had any of the players (that I know of) and so they go in cocky and MSU pulls the upset. Happens all the time. Look at the times a #1 team goes down in an upset and then the team who pulled the upset loses the next week. It even happens when an unranked team pretty much beats a top 5 or top 10 team. Look at Furman against #3 App State last year and then losing to Elon the following week. I'll just about bet that YSU beats MSU good this year and loses to NDSU because of the revenge factor in both games. If that doesn't happen I'll be surprised.

Professor Chaos
August 9th, 2012, 09:53 AM
No offense to MSU but that was one of those hangover losses. Happens all the time. YSU upset #1 NDSU on the road and knew all they had to do was beat MSU and they were in the playoffs. They probably partied the next week because they had not beat a #1 team in a long time, that staff never had there and neither had any of the players (that I know of) and so they go in cocky and MSU pulls the upset. Happens all the time. Look at the times a #1 team goes down in an upset and then the team who pulled the upset loses the next week. It even happens when an unranked team pretty much beats a top 5 or top 10 team. Look at Furman against #3 App State last year and then losing to Elon the following week. I'll just about bet that YSU beats MSU good this year and loses to NDSU because of the revenge factor in both games. If that doesn't happen I'll be surprised.
That will happen but to do it at home with a playoff berth on the line against a team that was 1-9 coming in is what makes me shake my head. NDSU had a huge home win against UNI last year and followed it up the next week on the road against a pretty good Indiana St squad. I was worried about the prototypical "trap game" but NDSU won that game by 2 scores. There's trap game losses and then there's just horribly bad game losses. YSU losing to MSU falls into the latter category. At least Elon was an average team last year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 9th, 2012, 09:59 AM
That will happen but to do it at home with a playoff berth on the line against a team that was 1-9 coming in is what makes me shake my head. NDSU had a huge home win against UNI last year and followed it up the next week on the road against a pretty good Indiana St squad. I was worried about the prototypical "trap game" but NDSU won that game by 2 scores. There's trap game losses and then there's just horribly bad game losses. YSU losing to MSU falls into the latter category. At least Elon was an average team last year.

It was a bad loss but again it happens. There have been a few times over the years when a top 5 team even lost to a 1 or 2 win team late in the season ruining a perfect season. That was a bad loss but like I said I'll be surprised if YSU doesn't beat MSU pretty good this year. Although, MSU will be better because they do have some good newcomers and some young players who should step up this season.

BisonHype!
August 9th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Not sure I agree with that poll....

mmiller_34
August 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I said the same thing in El Bloggo. Youngstown State was unfocused during their loss to MSU and it cost them a trip to the playoffs. This year, more experience should eliminate those costly mistakes YSU made last year.