PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Predictions for this year

AppGuy04
July 7th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Anyone have any predictions that might or might not come as a surprise to others.

One of mine would be that Georgia Southern struggles to finish in the top half of the SoCon

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Anyone have any predictions that might or might not come as a surprise to others.

One of mine would be that Georgia Southern struggles to finish in the top half of the SoCon

I kinda agree with the GSU thing, 4, however, I saw them at their Springy and they seemed to be a little more advanced and into their changeover than I expected.

Course you could just be smackin', too, you buzzard......

:nono: :nono:

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Youngstown finishes 3-8 and whines when they do not get into the playoffs.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

blueballs
July 7th, 2006, 10:33 AM

...and then he woke up.

McNeeserocket
July 7th, 2006, 10:43 AM

I think McNeese may regain some respect!

AppGuy04
July 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
I kinda agree with the GSU thing, 4, however, I saw them at their Springy and they seemed to be a little more advanced and into their changeover than I expected.

Course you could just be smackin', too, you buzzard......

:nono: :nono:

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nope, no smack, honest opinion

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Mine would be Lafayette beats half of their Ivy opponents and beats Colgate as well.

Cap'n Cat
July 7th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Missouri State fights it out with UNI for Gateway title.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM

I agree with you on that. I think you guys will make the playoffs.

Pards Rule
July 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Mine would be Lafayette beats half of their Ivy opponents and beats Colgate as well.

YES!!! Penn goes down!

bluehenbillk
July 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
UMass makes the playoffs & JMU doesn't.

JMU Duke Dog
July 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
JMU will win the 2006 I-AA national championship over Montana. After beating Appalachian State, New Hampshire, William & Mary, Richmond, and Delaware in the regular season, the Dukes will host their first playoff game since 1994 in the now excellent Bridgeforth Stadium.

BigApp
July 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Chattanooga will beat 2 of the SoCon's Big 3, contend for a playoff spot and finish the season ranked in the top 25.

bandl
July 7th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Delaware loses to Towson...again. Delaware loses to Richmond...again. Delaware loses to Hofstra...again.
All on consecutive weeks...again.

;)

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Chattanooga will beat 2 of the SoCon's Big 3, contend for a playoff spot and finish the season ranked in the top 25.

Cool three losses for ASU,

Chatt, NC State and FU. :nod:

JMU Duke Dog
July 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Also, you can add in a fourth with JMU who will end the Mountaineers winning streak at "The Rock." :cool:

bluehenbillk
July 7th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Delaware loses to Towson...again. Delaware loses to Richmond...again. Delaware loses to Hofstra...again.
All on consecutive weeks...again.

;)

Damn that would suck, with all 3 being revenge games & 2 at home though I think we'll "avoid the broom".

bluehenbillk
July 7th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Here's some A-10 upsets that could happen....

Delaware losing to URI or N'Eastern, both road games sandwiched around an anticipated visit from UNH, I think they'll lose one of them.

JMU losing to 'Nova, place where they've had very little luck, if the Dukes are teetering or have nothing to play for.

Maine over Youngstown St, Whitcomb is an experienced QB and the Black Bears have gone to Miss St & beat an SEC team & hung with the Huskers in Lincoln, comparatively a much milder trip.

UMass beats Navy & loses to N'Eastern. They catch Navy early which is the time to do it with a new option QB taking over & N'Eastern should still be hyped to play the Minutemen who may have UNH on the brain that week.

Northeastern over Virginia Tech, just kidding, seeing if you're still reading.

Duke over Richmond, the Blue Devils beating a team that played in the 1-AA playoffs last year is an upset, however if it wasn't the 1st game of the year I'd take the Spiders.

William & Mary over JMU, the Dukes may be staggering or hungover from UNH the week before & the Tribe has Liberty, or a bye week to prepare, these teams don't like each other, see last year's pre-game.

OL FU
July 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Also, you can add in a fourth with JMU who will end the Mountaineers winning streak at "The Rock." :cool:

We will keep it at three , they beat NC State:nod:

Gort
July 7th, 2006, 01:29 PM

More like a dream than a prediction. JMU with a 62-55 record over the past ten seasons is hardly in the class of the other top I-AA programs. In fact, if the you take away the one great year when they won the title, JMU doesn't even have a winning record over those other nine years (49-53). JMU still has a long way to go to prove that they're little more than a one year wonder.

bandl
July 7th, 2006, 01:54 PM
More like a dream than a prediction. JMU with a 62-55 record over the past ten seasons is hardly in the class of the other top I-AA programs. In fact, if the you take away the one great year when they won the title, JMU doesn't even have a winning record over those other nine years (49-53). JMU still has a long way to go to prove that they're little more than a one year wonder.

What the...??? Did you post on the wrong thread or something?? What in the hell does the 10-year history of a program have to do with someone's opinion of a surprise?

JMU Duke Dog
July 7th, 2006, 01:58 PM
JMU losing to 'Nova, place where they've had very little luck, if the Dukes are teetering or have nothing to play for.

William & Mary over JMU, the Dukes may be staggering or hungover from UNH the week before & the Tribe has Liberty, or a bye week to prepare, these teams don't like each other, see last year's pre-game.

With all the negative sentiment towards JMU on AGS, my predictions should then be seen as "surprises" (look at the thread title after all) for you JMU haters. Many of you AGS posters have no clue how "ticked off" JMU players and coaches are in their feelings towards the disappointing 2005 season. Division I-AA will need to watch out for the extremely hungry Dukes in 2006 and seasons following!

bluehenbillk
July 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I didn't know if we didn't pick a team 11-0 you were labeled a hater? How bout anybody that picked CCU to surprise JMU last year, wise or hater?

PaladinFan
July 7th, 2006, 03:43 PM
GSU will struggle. They are planning on a passing offense with no experience at QB. Sometimes, even though it is tough to accept, reality always wins out.

Which of the big three will UTC beat? I can see them beating the Eagles, but beating Furman on the road will be tough. We've blown them out year after year. UTC always seems to give ASU a good game though. Beware!

If the JMU Dukes end the Apps winning streak at the Rock, I will be very upset. Be it known that the streak must be ended by the Paladins in blowout fashion. It may not be this year, or anytime soon. But when the 'Dins do win another one in Boone, I want it to be an absolute shelacking.

My suprise prediction....Appalachian drops a close one on the road to the Catamounts in Cullowhee.

also, Furman steals one in Boone this year on a 103 yrd interception return for a two point conversion. In a strange coincidence, Grandfather mountain collapses and destroys the south end zone of KBS. I would prefer a shelacking, but if this is how it must be, it must be.

SU Jag
July 7th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Jackson State wins the SWAC Eastern Division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod:

SouthernEagle02
July 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'm going with not only UTC finishing in the Top 15, but I'll go as far as saying that Costal Carolina will whoop up on nearly everyone they play this year and finish in the Top 25. As far as GS, I'll be happy if we finish at .500.

rufus
July 7th, 2006, 05:45 PM
With all the negative sentiment towards JMU on AGS, my predictions should then be seen as "surprises" (look at the thread title after all) for you JMU haters. Many of you AGS posters have no clue how "ticked off" JMU players and coaches are in their feelings towards the disappointing 2005 season. Division I-AA will need to watch out for the extremely hungry Dukes in 2006 and seasons following!
Being loved is boring -- it's more fun to be hated. :)

blackfordpu
July 7th, 2006, 07:23 PM

You are more respected than you think. Every team out there knows that the Cowboys are a sleeping giant.

UNHWildCats
July 7th, 2006, 10:57 PM
New Hampshire defeats Northwestern to kick off the season.

OrneryAggie
July 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM
UC Davis and North Dakota St both go 10-0-1. Their head to head matchup is called a tie after 10 overtimes and a final score of 70-70. The NCAA refuses to budge on the playoff ban so, by virtue of their win over Ball St (and Minnesota) NDSU takes the MAC's spot in the GMAC bowl and battles suprise CUSA champion Rice. Rice proves to be a tougher opponent than Minn, Cal Poly, or Georgia Southern and wins a 42-38 shootout. With the win over TCU, UCD gets invited to the las vegas bowl where they play Portland St (who defeated New Mexico, Cal, and Oregon but went 3-5 in Big Sky play, barely getting the six wins necessary for bowl admittance). 6 ucd players get suspended for the game after they mistakenly wandered into a stripclub while trying to study for the MCAT's. PSU once again owns the ags.

Aggie71
July 7th, 2006, 11:14 PM
That's my kinda Aggie. Getting hot with bovine exhaust fumes in the air again?

'71

seantaylor
July 8th, 2006, 03:03 AM
GSU will struggle. They are planning on a passing offense with no experience at QB. Sometimes, even though it is tough to accept, reality always wins out.

Which of the big three will UTC beat? I can see them beating the Eagles, but beating Furman on the road will be tough. We've blown them out year after year. UTC always seems to give ASU a good game though. Beware!

If the JMU Dukes end the Apps winning streak at the Rock, I will be very upset. Be it known that the streak must be ended by the Paladins in blowout fashion. It may not be this year, or anytime soon. But when the 'Dins do win another one in Boone, I want it to be an absolute shelacking.

My suprise prediction....Appalachian drops a close one on the road to the Catamounts in Cullowhee.

also, Furman steals one in Boone this year on a 103 yrd interception return for a two point conversion. In a strange coincidence, Grandfather mountain collapses and destroys the south end zone of KBS. I would prefer a shelacking, but if this is how it must be, it must be.

GSU will have the best defense in the Socon. Mark it down, Van Gorder is an NFL defensive coach, and with the talent back, we will blossom. Furman's defense was horrible last year, and they lost their best player. So, we will see.

AppGuy04
July 8th, 2006, 12:45 PM
GSU will have the best defense in the Socon. Mark it down, Van Gorder is an NFL defensive coach, and with the talent back, we will blossom. Furman's defense was horrible last year, and they lost their best player. So, we will see.

I would tend to agree with the Furman assessment, but as for GSU, if their offense struggles, it will put ALOT of pressure on the D, and that could be a very bad thing

BigApp
July 8th, 2006, 02:31 PM
New Hampshire defeats Northwestern to kick off the season.

Good luck with that, with their coach passing away and all...

MSUBear42
July 8th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Missouri State fights it out with UNI for Gateway title.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

You read my mind.:read:

parr90
July 8th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Georgia Southern is much better than people expect and go on to play in their 9th National Championship game. Of course if we get there you know we will win.

PaladinFan
July 8th, 2006, 06:40 PM

Furman's defense wasn't it's normal self last year. I attributed that to a lot of things. Good deal of new faces all over the field last year. Also, check out our offensive statistics. When your offense scores as quickly and proficiently as ours did last year, the defense always seemed to be on the field. That took its toll.

This year, we will have a potent running attack and nearly everyone back, 9 starters and 19 back on the two deep. I am not worried about our defense. In recent memory Furman has had one bad defensive year, and I believe with the new coach on D-line will be vast improvements. Yes, we lost Freeman, but out of every starter lost, he will be the easiest to replace. Our linebacking corps is the strongest and deepest part of the team.

VanGorder is a defensive genius, no doubt. By my calculation, Morhing is your best player and a darn good one. However, with an offense that will struggle, your defense will make or break your season. Your defense will see A LOT of the field. That will be the first time for that probably in the history of your school. No more 10 min drives for the GSU offense.

I wasn't impressed with the GSU defense at all last year (yes, you won the game, I know, I was there). The speed and athleticism is there, but tackling and pass coverage were not. If they improve that, we'll see about the best defense in the conference.

Mr. Tiger
July 8th, 2006, 06:53 PM
South Carolina State will win the MEAC
Prairie View and Jackson St. will have winning seasons in the SWAC
Illinois State will finish a close second in the Gateway
Georgia Southern will finish behind App State, Furman, and Western Carolina in the Southern Conference.

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Illinois State finishing second in the Gateway would certainly not come as a surprise to me, but it might come to others. I also predict that Missouri State makes noise, but they might be a year or two away. I predict that Western Illinois quits the Gateway to join the Mid-Con. Finding out that the Mid-Con does not have football, they go to the OVC. They go 4-7.

PMB4Life
July 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Oh, and I forgot... Western Illnois schedules a game with my fraternity's intramural team. They win 70-0 and then spend the next two weeks defending their scheduling practices.

seantaylor
July 9th, 2006, 02:14 AM
South Carolina State will win the MEAC
Prairie View and Jackson St. will have winning seasons in the SWAC
Illinois State will finish a close second in the Gateway
Georgia Southern will finish behind App State, Furman, and Western Carolina in the Southern Conference.

Crazy.

seantaylor
July 9th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Furman's defense wasn't it's normal self last year. I attributed that to a lot of things. Good deal of new faces all over the field last year. Also, check out our offensive statistics. When your offense scores as quickly and proficiently as ours did last year, the defense always seemed to be on the field. That took its toll.

This year, we will have a potent running attack and nearly everyone back, 9 starters and 19 back on the two deep. I am not worried about our defense. In recent memory Furman has had one bad defensive year, and I believe with the new coach on D-line will be vast improvements. Yes, we lost Freeman, but out of every starter lost, he will be the easiest to replace. Our linebacking corps is the strongest and deepest part of the team.

VanGorder is a defensive genius, no doubt. By my calculation, Morhing is your best player and a darn good one. However, with an offense that will struggle, your defense will make or break your season. Your defense will see A LOT of the field. That will be the first time for that probably in the history of your school. No more 10 min drives for the GSU offense.

I wasn't impressed with the GSU defense at all last year (yes, you won the game, I know, I was there). The speed and athleticism is there, but tackling and pass coverage were not. If they improve that, we'll see about the best defense in the conference.

I agree. Mohring is an NFL player. With a competent coach, our defense will be sick. You are forgetting the Socon freshmen of the year, Dedrick Bynam. I don't think anyone in the conference can touch our talent on D. And with BVG(I like our chances).

PaladinFan
July 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I agree. Mohring is an NFL player. With a competent coach, our defense will be sick. You are forgetting the Socon freshmen of the year, Dedrick Bynam. I don't think anyone in the conference can touch our talent on D. And with BVG(I like our chances).

I agree. Y'all have talent, but so do most of the teams in the conference. Hell, even Elon has a great linebacker.

AppGuy04
July 9th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I agree. Y'all have talent, but so do most of the teams in the conference. Hell, even Elon has a great linebacker.
Arguably the best one in the conference

WCU LawCat
July 9th, 2006, 12:51 PM
For GSU Fans just remember this...WCU has had a very good defense for the last 3 seasons but WCU couldn't finish in the top three in the conferance. WCU's Offense has struggled keeping the defense on the field. This WILL play a factor in GSU's number of wins. I have watched it for 3 straight years.

This season, WCU should have enough tallent returning to be strong on defense again. I also think that the offense returning all of its skill players as well as two former starters from 04 and bringing in Ashcroft from South Carolina will make us more sound. Not to mention the 4 way QB battle that has erupted. Should improve at the QB spot even if Clark keeps his job because 3 guys will be right on his heels.

Jag4Life
July 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Grambling falls behind PVU in the West!

seantaylor
July 9th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Arguably the best one in the conference

I'd put him behind Mohring and Murrell.

nlwwln
July 9th, 2006, 02:04 PM
EKU wins the OVC and in my opinion could very well win the whole thing. They have missed the playoffs by a game or two the past couple of years and I just dont see them letting that happen again with the talent on this years squad. This is coach Hopes year and I think he knows it. Its now or never for EKU. Western Carolina and UTC will be much imporved from last year and if they manage to catch a few breaks could be in the playoff hunt come november. I still think APP is the team to beat in the socon but otherwise it looks to be a pretty even playing field in the conference, it should be fun to watch. I think coastal looses their stride and ends up something like 6-5 or 7-4. Its not easy to play at the level they have over the past couple years. I think their tough schedule will catch up with them and they will loose a couple of close ones and miss the playoffs again.

parr90
July 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
For GSU Fans just remember this...WCU has had a very good defense for the last 3 seasons but WCU couldn't finish in the top three in the conferance. WCU's Offense has struggled keeping the defense on the field. This WILL play a factor in GSU's number of wins. I have watched it for 3 straight years.

This season, WCU should have enough tallent returning to be strong on defense again. I also think that the offense returning all of its skill players as well as two former starters from 04 and bringing in Ashcroft from South Carolina will make us more sound. Not to mention the 4 way QB battle that has erupted. Should improve at the QB spot even if Clark keeps his job because 3 guys will be right on his heels.

OK.............We will be sure to remember that!

Killtoppers90
July 9th, 2006, 03:53 PM
EKU wins the OVC and in my opinion could very well win the whole thing. They have missed the playoffs by a game or two the past couple of years and I just dont see them letting that happen again with the talent on this years squad. This is coach Hopes year and I think he knows it. Its now or never for EKU. Western Carolina and UTC will be much imporved from last year and if they manage to catch a few breaks could be in the playoff hunt come november. I still think APP is the team to beat in the socon but otherwise it looks to be a pretty even playing field in the conference, it should be fun to watch. I think coastal looses their stride and ends up something like 6-5 or 7-4. Its not easy to play at the level they have over the past couple years. I think their tough schedule will catch up with them and they will loose a couple of close ones and miss the playoffs again.
What? No prediction that EKU beats WKU? But I do agree that EKU could surprise many and get into the playoffs this season (but I still hope not).:thumbsup:

Saint3333
July 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I don't think anyone in the conference can touch our talent on D. And with BVG(I like our chances).

You might want to check the preseason all-american lists...

MSUBear42
July 9th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I predict this place:

http://photos-013.facebook.com/ip006/v36/176/67/34307828/n34307828_30993013_9335.jpg

will get it's first sell-out in 9 years this season.

UCABEARS75
July 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM
We (UCA) will have a winning record and beat at least 2 D-Iaa opponents.

SoCon48
July 10th, 2006, 08:41 AM

FU winning at the Rock?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx