PDA

View Full Version : Official: Albany and Stony Brook Accept CAA Football Invite for 2013

danefan
August 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205569011&DB_OEM_ID=8500

RICHMOND, Va. (August 7, 2012) -- The University at Albany and Stony Brook University have both accepted offers of membership into CAA Football beginning July 2013, Commissioner Tom Yeager announced today.

“This is certainly a momentous day for CAA Football,” Yeager said. “The addition of Albany and Stony Brook bring playoff-tested programs from the Northeast into an already nationally-prominent league.”

Albany’s recent success at the FCS level is evidenced by its Northeast Conference title and Division I NCAA Championship berth in 2011. The Great Danes, under 39-year head coach Bob Ford, have won 30 games and two NEC championships dating back to the 2008 season. Albany won eight of its final nine regular-season games in 2011, helping it earn an automatic berth into the NCAA Playoffs. The Great Danes’ offense was among the nation’s best last season averaging better than 33 points/game and holding a pass-efficiency mark of 148.4 which ranked 13th in the country.

“Albany’s success last season is evidence Coach Ford has built a program that will be ready to compete right away in our league,” Yeager said. “Coinciding with its new on-campus football stadium opening in 2013, we are looking forward to having the Great Danes create some great conference rivalries immediately.”

Under head coach Chuck Priore, Stony Brook has captured three consecutive Big South championships and earned the program’s first-ever NCAA Division I Football Championship berth in 2011. The Seawolves, which produced a program-best nine-game winning streak during the 2011 season, advanced to the second round of the playoffs with a thrilling 31-28, first-round win over Albany before losing to national runner-up Sam Houston State. The Seawolves finished the season nationally ranked for the first time ever and were the nation’s top scoring offense at 38.0 points per game. Several preseason publications have Stony Brook ranked heading into the 2012 season.

“Coach Priore has Stony Brook poised for yet another run for the NCAA Playoffs,” Yeager said. “Welcoming the Seawolves into our league next season will present our current members with yet another challenging matchup come Saturday’s in the fall.”

danefan
August 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.ualbanysports.com/fls/15800/splash/SplashPage1.jpg

Lehigh Football Nation
August 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Let me be the first to say congratulations.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 7th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome UAlbany
Can't wait to see the stadium when it is completed

Great news for north east football

ursus arctos horribilis
August 7th, 2012, 05:37 PM
let me be the second. I would have been first but I was over on twitter pumping up danefan as a trustworthy guy.:D

aceinthehole
August 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM
NEC is gonna miss UA. Hope that CCSU can one day soon rejoin UA and SBU in the same conference :)

TheRevSFA
August 7th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Congrats y'all!

danefan
August 7th, 2012, 05:50 PM
So the banner says URI, but did I miss the announcement tha they are staying?

dbackjon
August 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
NEC is gonna miss UA. Hope that CCSU can one day soon rejoin UA and SBU in the same conference :)

Maybe this will put some pressure on them to do so...

jmu_duke07
August 7th, 2012, 06:02 PM
This f*^%ing sucks

jmu_duke07
August 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Any room in the SoCon for JMU?

WataugaDave
August 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Congrats and I kind of wish we were going with you, but ah well.

Any word on Davidson?

jmufan
August 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM

Yikes, no thanks. If we move, move to FBS.

dgreco
August 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM
URI in the banner is interesting. Also, congrats to UAlbany fans; you have wanted this for a while.

jmufan
August 7th, 2012, 06:35 PM
URI in the banner is interesting. Also, congrats to UAlbany fans; you have wanted this for a while.

If you go to the Stony Brook site, the RI logo isn't included. http://www.goseawolves.org/

The Cats
August 7th, 2012, 06:38 PM
.......I kind of wish we were going with you, but ah well.

Don't feel bad, you're not alone in those sentiments.

The Cats
August 7th, 2012, 06:42 PM

Just as soon as the hillbillies leave.

You can even have their hounds....

http://www.funnyanimalpictures.net/data/media/1/beverly_hillbilly_hounds.jpg

BlueHenSinfonian
August 7th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Good to hear, too bad both schools aren't coming in as full CAA members, but who knows what the future holds.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Good to hear, too bad both schools aren't coming in as full CAA members, but who knows what the future holds.

The CAA doesn't need or want more bball teams north of Virginia.

Longhorn
August 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Welcome UA and SBU to the CAA. Look past the JMU fans who have commented negatively on your joining the association, I think you'll do well and make excellent additions. Like the bluehen fan, I only wish it was for all-sports. Maybe that will come in a year or two.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Welcome UA and SBU to the CAA. Look past the JMU fans who have commented negatively on your joining the association, I think you'll do well and make excellent additions. Like the bluehen fan, I only wish it was for all-sports. Maybe that will come in a year or two.

It won't.

The execs at NBC sports are pounding down Yeager's door saying "hey buddy...you better fetch me some bball teams worth putting up on my network, with some name recognition or I'll tear up this contract".

That's not anyone in the America East.

So that said, why would the SUNY schools want to spend that much more money sending non-football teams down to Virginia for the same one-bid to all the tournaments that they can get by (more easily) winning the AE?

Redwyn
August 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
It won't.

The execs at NBC sports are pounding down Yeager's door saying "hey buddy...you better fetch me some bball teams worth putting up on my network, with some name recognition or I'll tear up this contract".

That's not anyone in the America East.

So that said, why would the SUNY schools want to spend that much more money sending non-football teams down to Virginia for the same one-bid to all the tournaments that they can get by (more easily) winning the AE?

1. Very tough to prognosticate future market potential. However, easy to look at population differentials. A small fraction of the NYC media market - not unreasonable given the rapid expansion of alumni base typical of state schools and continued athletic success on national stage - is larger than most schools could get with a 100% market share (unreasonable). Its the magic of NYC - a behemoth of media share that hasn't really properly been tapped yet because of a lack of competent local college football programs.

SBU sure as hell isn't there yet, but I'd have severe doubts that adding an NYC-area state school truly bothers NBC sports.

2. I can't disagree about your second comment. We surely know that no AEC ex-pat has won the conference tourney down in Virginia since all the defections 10+ years ago. While it would have been nice to go to a better conference, being a big fish in the AEC should give us a chance to go to the tourney every year in nearly every sport. I'd hope our next move for All-Sports comes with an FBS invite 10-15 years from now. To do that would require a maximum expansion of our stadium to 30K+, and continued national success ala baseball over the next decade.

I don't think either are unreasonable should we continue at our current rate.

wmmii
August 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Welcome, two great addtions for football and it helps our northern brethen have more company. It will be interesting what happens in BB, serious issues for CAA here and more desperation to get good matches than in football-we lost alot more with VCU and ODU exiting.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
1. Very tough to prognosticate future market potential. However, easy to look at population differentials. A small fraction of the NYC media market - not unreasonable given the rapid expansion of alumni base typical of state schools and continued athletic success on national stage - is larger than most schools could get with a 100% market share (unreasonable). Its the magic of NYC - a behemoth of media share that hasn't really properly been tapped yet because of a lack of competent local college football programs.

SBU sure as hell isn't there yet, but I'd have severe doubts that adding an NYC-area state school truly bothers NBC sports.

2. I can't disagree about your second comment. We surely know that no AEC ex-pat has won the conference tourney down in Virginia since all the defections 10+ years ago. While it would have been nice to go to a better conference, being a big fish in the AEC should give us a chance to go to the tourney every year in nearly every sport. I'd hope our next move for All-Sports comes with an FBS invite 10-15 years from now. To do that would require a maximum expansion of our stadium to 30K+, and continued national success ala baseball over the next decade.

I don't think either are unreasonable should we continue at our current rate.

Absolutely. You should continue to do good work in the AEC for the foreseeable future.

No offense, but no TV network exec is going to walk into a presentation room and try to sell people on the idea of NYC metro cable subscribers tuning in to watch this:

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.1815184.1268781716!/image/3337859705.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/3337859705.JPG

Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Absolutely. You should continue to do good work in the AEC for the foreseeable future.

No offense, but no TV network exec is going to walk into a presentation room and try to sell people on the idea of NYC metro cable subscribers tuning in to watch this:

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.1815184.1268781716!/image/3337859705.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/3337859705.JPG

That's not a bad place for hoops imo, especially for the Northeast. It reminds me a lot of Umass's old Curry Hicks Cage. It's certainly no worse than a lower end A10 facility.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
That's not a bad place for hoops imo, especially for the Northeast. It reminds me a lot of Umass's old Curry Hicks Cage. It's certainly no worse than a lower end A10 facility.

I don't disagree.

But how's it going to look on TV? National TV.

NHwildEcat
August 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Who cares about basketball, we are here for one reason...football, and FCS football at that. The CAA made a couple of great additions and I am excited to play conference games against Albany and SBU. Long time coming, but worth the wait! Now we can battle it out in all sports!

Also, this really helps out Maine and UNH for travel...thanks! Need to officially get URI to stay and add one more northie in my opinion.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 7th, 2012, 07:40 PM
I don't disagree.

But how's it going to look on TV? National TV.

Better than 90% of the facilities in the WCC. St. Mary's anyone?

Go...gate
August 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Congrats to Albany and Stony Brook!

asumike83
August 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Just as soon as the hillbillies leave.

You can even have their hounds....

Hillbilly jokes from Cullowhee? Come on, do y'all still have to go a county over to buy a 6-pack out there?

Congrats to Albany and Stony Brook, a great move for both schools and I think they'll both make fine additions.

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Who cares about basketball, we are here for one reason...football, and FCS football at that. The CAA made a couple of great additions and I am excited to play conference games against Albany and SBU. Long time coming, but worth the wait! Now we can battle it out in all sports!

Also, this really helps out Maine and UNH for travel...thanks! Need to officially get URI to stay and add one more northie in my opinion.

Vermont should start a full scholarship program! xnodx

Redwyn
August 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM

You're right. But we would in this one:
http://www.goseawolves.org/facilities/ston-10-arena.html

We weren't thinking AEC when we put 21 mil into renovations.

Seawolf97
August 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM

Our new 21 million dollar arena will open in October 2014 and blow what you see away. It will be a gem.

WataugaDave
August 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Don't feel bad, you're not alone in those sentiments.
Yeah, if we leave that's one less guaranteed loss for the Catamounts.

Seawolf97
August 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM

I suspect over the next two or three years we will be full sports members. Both Albany and SBU offer mens and womens lax , baseball . SBU needs to continue to upgrade our hoops program both of them.

kdinva
August 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM

SBU's current arena is definitely better than Drexel's, LaSalle's, Fordham's, St. Bonnie's.......

MplsBison
August 7th, 2012, 10:08 PM
You're right. But we would in this one:
http://www.goseawolves.org/facilities/ston-10-arena.html

We weren't thinking AEC when we put 21 mil into renovations.

No, you wouldn't. That's the point.

Size is all that comes through. You would have a very nice, but small arena. Small is equated with low-majors.

jmufan
August 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I think the CAA made a good move. Market wise, the CAA bring New York City back and they bring in a new market in Albany. Both schools look like they are well committed in building their programs further. I guess we'll have to see how the communities view CAA football or their respective institutions and whether or not they will get behind them. I know Albany is billing this as big time football, but would
Albany view it that way? The same goes for Stony Brook. Seemed like NYC never really got behind Hofstra, wonder if they will with Stony Brook? Oh and congrats to both schools, think both fan bases will have a good time in the CAA, a lot of really good teams and a grind every week.

jmufan
August 7th, 2012, 10:27 PM

Size is all that comes through. You would have a very nice, but small arena. Small is equated with low-majors.

Eh..basketball arena size is a little overrated. Look at some of the big time programs in the WCC-St. Mary's comes to mind and they have a old and small arena.

WataugaDave
August 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
We have this. Definitely ready if we make a move.

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics11/0/RT/RTKSACVGGHAMDEL.20090924141646.jpg

Although it's rarely actually that full. Must have been a playoff game or an unseasonably warm day.

Redwyn
August 7th, 2012, 11:36 PM

Or we have the typical "on campus" center that places like U Conn and Seton Hall reserve for lower yield games. We played in Seton Hall's gym in the NIT. MUCH less accommodating than SBU Arena post mods will be. I have little doubt that SBU will get a neutral site arena ala Hartford Civic Center (maybe Nassau Colosseum to piss off Hofstra?) if they need bigger game seating. Close enough to campus for bus transport, local for fans, off a highway...can't go wrong with that situation.

No difference, still don't buy it.

BlueHenSinfonian
August 7th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Seemed like NYC never really got behind Hofstra

That's because you can't walk onto the Hofstra campus without becoming inundated with the stench of failed dreams and spray tan.

Redwyn
August 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM
That's because you can't walk onto the Hofstra campus without becoming inundated with the stench of failed dreams and spray tan.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go...gate
August 8th, 2012, 12:18 AM

This is a good day for the CAA. The conference's long-term future looks a lot better.

Dane96
August 8th, 2012, 02:09 AM
http://www.shanebufano.com/Sports/UVM-Basketball-2009-2010/UVMatAlbany-1-10-10/9N8P6199/1143881991_y8cer-L.jpg

Oh Bison...talking out of his *** again. SEFCU...which already has upgrade plans, sits 5,000. We also have access to The Times Union Center...this little 15,500 seat arena about 2.3 miles from campus.

SBU and Albany...if they wanted and were offered a full-invite from the CAA would not be lacking facilities. The Capt District and Suffolk County are almost 3.5 million combined TV viewers.

Just sayin...

Tribe4SF
August 8th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Happy to have both schools. Look forward to away games in Albany...my old stomping ground. I'll go to Stony Brook, but can't say I'm crazy about Long Island.

bluehenbillk
August 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Congrats to both schools. Not looking forward to the Stony Brook drive, but I have to say - disappointed in Yeager not getting Stony Brook for all sports. How do you let a CWS baseball team slip away......

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Vermont should start a full scholarship program! xnodx

There would be a better chance of you not pissing people of on a daily basis then UVM doing anything that would be considered a positive step towards a football program. Vermont, might be the least interested state in football throughout the entire country.

And I wouldn't want them, last thing we need is another program that will hold down the rest of the northeast.

henfan
August 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Congrats to both schools. Not looking forward to the Stony Brook drive, but I have to say - disappointed in Yeager not getting Stony Brook for all sports. How do you let a CWS baseball team slip away......

Ditto. From UD's perspective, these were the best adds available for FB all things considered. The move solidifies UNH's & UM's continued involvement in the FB league and keeps things together for a while longer for CAA FB.

Interested to see if Rhody stay around. I hope they do.

M Ruler
August 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I have a question for the knowledgable FCS fan. When Albany upgrades to 63 scholarships for the 2013 season can they do it all at once or do they have to transition up over time to 63? (JMU fans keep it to yourself this is a real question)

I believe Albany currently has 40 rides, so can they add 23 more before the start of 2013 or do they slowly add at a snails pace like in the NEC at 2 a year?

SBU I believe is close to 63 already so it should not be too much of a stretch for them in 2013.

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2012, 08:30 AM
So do these statement from UD fans a month ago still hold true?

Actually, if the CEO's are foolish enough not to invite SBU and/or UA to the CAA but, instead, offer them only CAA FB membership, they may be unintentionally setting themselves up for an eventual AEC takeover of CAA FB. That would be completely boneheaded decision on the part of CAA CEO's and Yeager.xcrazyx

If this rumor is true, and these schools have only been offered football affiliate status, as a result of a request from Hofstra, then I think the long term health of the league is in much greater doubt than I originally realized.

Not smack, just asking the bottom line, was this a good move for the CAA?

Seawolf97
August 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ditto. From UD's perspective, these were the best adds available for FB all things considered. The move solidifies UNH's & UM's continued involvement in the FB league and keeps things together for a while longer for CAA FB.

Interested to see if Rhody stay around. I hope they do.

Second that on URI. Would like to see them stay Albany and SBU are short rides for their team and any fans that want to travel on Saturday.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I have a question for the knowledgable FCS fan. When Albany upgrades to 63 scholarships for the 2013 season can they do it all at once or do they have to transition up over time to 63? (JMU fans keep it to yourself this is a real question)

I believe Albany currently has 40 rides, so can they add 23 more before the start of 2013 or do they slowly add at a snails pace like in the NEC at 2 a year?

SBU I believe is close to 63 already so it should not be too much of a stretch for them in 2013.

I think its up to UA. We definitely are not restricted to 2 a year like the NEC did to us, but at the same time I can see Coach Ford not blowing all 23 rides on one recruiting class. I would imagine it will spread over two recruiting classes.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Or we have the typical "on campus" center that places like U Conn and Seton Hall reserve for lower yield games. We played in Seton Hall's gym in the NIT. MUCH less accommodating than SBU Arena post mods will be. I have little doubt that SBU will get a neutral site arena ala Hartford Civic Center (maybe Nassau Colosseum to piss off Hofstra?) if they need bigger game seating. Close enough to campus for bus transport, local for fans, off a highway...can't go wrong with that situation.

No difference, still don't buy it.

That's because you (and the rest who posted on this specific topic) still don't get it: TV. T. V.

SBU's arena, even with upgrades, is not acceptable for national broadcast on NBC sports. End

MplsBison
August 8th, 2012, 08:50 AM

You're of course taking the false viewpoint that it was simply CAA's decision to invite SBU or not.

The option was never on the table. NBC sports execs veto'ed it.

"Stony who? No...No. Get me a 'name' bball program, Yeager! Now! I've got the contract in my hands...you want me to start tearing?"

ccd494
August 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
That's because you (and the rest who posted on this specific topic) still don't get it: TV. T. V.

SBU's arena, even with upgrades, is not acceptable for national broadcast on NBC sports. End

Have you ever watched NBC Sports?

Aside from the NHL, Olympics and MLS, they are airing like the World Series of Hopscotch. Besides, as the CAA Football schedule on NBCS attests, the network is perfectly happy to ignore half of the teams in the conference in order to cherry pick "name" matchups. Stony Brook Arena wouldn't ever need to be on tv (despite the fact that it would look just fine) if NBC didn't want it. Heck, they could just air every GMU home game and call it good.

henfan
August 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM
So do these statement from UD fans a month ago still hold true?

Not smack, just asking the bottom line, was this a good move for the CAA?

These would appear to be good short-term adds for CAA FB, if for no other reason than to help UNH and, if they stay, URI with travel. Time will tell how competitive and how well supported the SUNY programs will be. Hopefully, all will work out fine, as both SBU & UA appear headed in the right direction with investments in their programs.

It's really hard to judge if the SUNY CAA FB adds have the potential to cause further instability until after an announcement is made on CAA expansion. We'll see.

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
These would appear to be good short-term adds for CAA FB, if for no other reason than to help UNH and, if they stay, URI with travel. Time will tell how competitive and how well supported the SUNY programs will be. Hopefully, all will work out fine, as both SBU & UA appear headed in the right direction with investments in their programs.

It's really hard to judge if the SUNY CAA FB adds have the potential to cause further instability until after an announcement is made on CAA expansion. We'll see.

And just to be clear, I was not questioning the particular schools added, I was just asking if CAA fans (and UD fans specifically) still think it was a good idea to add football-only members?

As it stands now, CAA Football is effectively controlled by 6 non-CAA schools (possibly 7 out of 11, if URI stays on board). For the past year or more, many posters here were outright confident that Yeager and the CAA would ONLY add full members that played football. The prevailing thought from many (especially UD fans) was that this hybrid structure (CAA and CAA Football) was a failed model and was calling on more unified membership.

A year or so ago Charlotte came forward with a football program, and the CAA (and its fans) told them to pound sand. Now the CAA welcomes the 2 SUNYs. If Charlotte was dismissed because of their FBS plans, doesn't that also eliminate App State, Georgia Southern, and Liberty from consideration from the CAA?

Again, not smack, just trying to reassess what the FCS landscaping is looking like for the CAA and other conferences (SoCon, NEC, Big South, PL) in the region.

SpiritCymbal
August 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM

Yes. Come on in...PLEASE!

SpiritCymbal
August 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah, if we leave that's one less guaranteed loss for the Catamounts.

Disagree. Doesn't matter who replaces ASU and/or GSU, Western will still lose to them.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 11:40 AM
A few minutes late - but live press conference at Albany streaming now:

http://www.caasports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=8500&catid=0

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Coach Ford on now. Never a bad speech by Coach Ford.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 11:54 AM
https://twitter.com/AndrewSantillo/status/233239370444963841/photo/1/large

superman7515
August 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM
You're of course taking the false viewpoint that it was simply CAA's decision to invite SBU or not.

The option was never on the table. NBC sports execs veto'ed it.

"Stony who? No...No. Get me a 'name' bball program, Yeager! Now! I've got the contract in my hands...you want me to start tearing?"

There were insiders talking not that long ago that Stony Brook was offered a full conference membership and turned it down and would only take football only membership.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
College Basketball Insider for CBS Sports Network and WFAN, Contributor for CBSSPORTS.COM, Studio Host for Compass Media NYC · http://wefollow.com/JonRothstein

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Sources say CAA wants Stony Brook for full membership and Albany just for football but Stony Brook will decline offer. Very happy in AEC.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete
FavoritedFavorite 7:22 AM - 22 Jul 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry® · Details

Looks like that could have been true, Stony Brook may have turned the CAA down and been happy with the America East Conference.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Yeager said an invitation has been reissued to Rhode Island to rejoin the CAA, given today's news - would put conference at 11 schools

https://twitter.com/AndrewSantillo/status/233249548477292544

UNH Fanboi
August 8th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Did Coach Ford mention how this will affect the Patriot League??

superman7515
August 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM

Yes, apparently this is exactly what will push Villanova and William & Mary over the edge. The exit fees for Albany and Stony Brook are being paid by an offshore slush fund managed by Caroline Femovich. What seemed to be a move to shore up the CAA were nothing but a pre-emptive strike by the Patriot League.

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/bushmission2.jpg

henfan
August 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
And just to be clear, I was not questioning the particular schools added, I was just asking if CAA fans (and UD fans specifically) still think it was a good idea to add football-only members?

As it stands now, CAA Football is effectively controlled by 6 non-CAA schools (possibly 7 out of 11, if URI stays on board). For the past year or more, many posters here were outright confident that Yeager and the CAA would ONLY add full members that played football. The prevailing thought from many (especially UD fans) was that this hybrid structure (CAA and CAA Football) was a failed model and was calling on more unified membership.

A year or so ago Charlotte came forward with a football program, and the CAA (and its fans) told them to pound sand. Now the CAA welcomes the 2 SUNYs. If Charlotte was dismissed because of their FBS plans, doesn't that also eliminate App State, Georgia Southern, and Liberty from consideration from the CAA?

Again, not smack, just trying to reassess what the FCS landscaping is looking like for the CAA and other conferences (SoCon, NEC, Big South, PL) in the region.

All fair questions.

It sure appeared that the CAA was not interested in adding schools that would only be members of CAA FB and the UNCC situation was a notable example. That was only a few short months ago. What changed that caused the CEO's to do a 180 in position and accept the SUNY's? We may not find that out until after CAA expansion is announced, if ever.

IMO, while it's far from an ideal scenario from the marketing standpoint for the CAA, it's OK for CAA FB to remain an amalgam of schools from different Olympic sport conferences. No matter what the make up or majority is, CAA FB has to make sure it is taking care of the needs of ALL of its members, as it has always done. I'd suspect there could be deep problems with the arrangement if or when CAA FB's interests run counter to the CAA. If the majority of schools remain outside of the CAA's purview, that could become more of a possibility. Of course it's possible that the CAA's impending expansion will bring in additional CAA FB members. It would be prudent for the CAA to protect their member's FB interests, unless they have the desire to see JMU, TU, UD and W&M look elsewhere for membership.

From this UD fan's perspective, I'd prefer all sport rivalries rather than just those in a single sport. I just believe it's healthier for the conference. That said, rivalries can and do develop over time in single sports between schools (UD-VU FB, for example.)

Tim James
August 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I hope Albany and URI are pushing for Central Connecticut behind the scenes. Albany because they are fellow conference mates and URI because they want another New England team. Obviously Maine and UNH would love for CCSU to get in as well. Add some basketball only southern schools and you'll be all set.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM

Nothing except he plans on beating Colgate on the 1st.......

jmufan
August 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
YSU or Coastal for all sports including football. This is what I would like to see, but doubt it happens.

UNH Fanboi
August 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
All fair questions.

It sure appeared that the CAA was not interested in adding schools that would only be members of CAA FB and the UNCC situation was a notable example. That was only a few short months ago. What changed that caused the CEO's to do a 180 in position and accept the SUNY's? We may not find that out until after CAA expansion is announced, if ever.

IMO, while it's far from an ideal scenario from the marketing standpoint for the CAA, it's OK for CAA FB to remain an amalgam of schools from different Olympic sport conferences. No matter what the make up or majority is, CAA FB has to make sure it is taking care of the needs of ALL of its members, as it has always done. I'd suspect there could be deep problems with the arrangement if or when CAA FB's interests run counter to the CAA. If the majority of schools remain outside of the CAA's purview, that could become more of a possibility. Of course it's possible that the CAA's impending expansion will bring in additional CAA FB members. It would be prudent for the CAA to protect their member's FB interests, unless they have the desire to see JMU, TU, UD and W&M look elsewhere for membership.

From this UD fan's perspective, I'd prefer all sport rivalries rather than just those in a single sport. I just believe it's healthier for the conference. That said, rivalries can and do develop over time in single sports between schools (UD-VU FB, for example.)

I think the difference between Stony Brook and UNCC is that Stony Brook appears committed to CAA football, whereas UNCC was obviously looking to use it as a stepping stone.

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Here's your answer:

McElroy said @UAlbanyFootball team will increase to mid 50s in scholarship in 2013 and 60+ in 2014

https://twitter.com/AndrewSantillo/status/233250379301810176

MplsBison
August 8th, 2012, 01:11 PM

That's because in Delaware's perfect world, the CAA would be a single, all-sports conference. No hybrid, no separate football entity. That's all they've ever wanted, from either the AE or the CAA - and it has never happened for them.

This just means it's even less likely to happen any time soon.

In fact, with such a hodgepodge - I think the right thing to do would be for CAA to spin the league off into an independently administered conference. Call it the Big Atlantic Football Conference or whatever.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
There were insiders talking not that long ago that Stony Brook was offered a full conference membership and turned it down and would only take football only membership.

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
College Basketball Insider for CBS Sports Network and WFAN, Contributor for CBSSPORTS.COM, Studio Host for Compass Media NYC · http://wefollow.com/JonRothstein

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Sources say CAA wants Stony Brook for full membership and Albany just for football but Stony Brook will decline offer. Very happy in AEC.

Expand Collapse Reply RetweetedRetweet Delete
FavoritedFavorite 7:22 AM - 22 Jul 12 via Twitter for BlackBerry® · Details

Looks like that could have been true, Stony Brook may have turned the CAA down and been happy with the America East Conference.

Indeed, why send all the non-football teams down to Virginia for a tougher fight - just to try winning the same one-bid to all the tournaments? Doesn't make any sense.

MplsBison
August 8th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I hope Albany and URI are pushing for Central Connecticut behind the scenes. Albany because they are fellow conference mates and URI because they want another New England team. Obviously Maine and UNH would love for CCSU to get in as well. Add some basketball only southern schools and you'll be all set.

What if UNH and Maine demand that CCS joins the AE in exchange for CAA football?

Deal?

henfan
August 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I think the difference between Stony Brook and UNCC is that Stony Brook appears committed to CAA football, whereas UNCC was obviously looking to use it as a stepping stone.

Perhaps that was an undercurrent but an interest in FBS FB wasn't a reason given for UNCC's lack of CAA FB invitation. It had to do with their not offering a commitment to the CAA.

Tim James
August 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
What if UNH and Maine demand that CCS joins the AE in exchange for CAA football?

Deal?

AE needs members, but CCS is exactly a fair trade after losing BU so I don't know. CCS's basketball facilities aren't great I heard and I don't know how Hartford would feel about them joining.

henfan
August 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
That's because in Delaware's perfect world, the CAA would be a single, all-sports conference...

In fact, with such a hodgepodge - I think the right thing to do would be for CAA to spin the league off into an independently administered conference. Call it the Big Atlantic Football Conference or whatever.

All-sport conference affiliation is desired by the vast majority of institutions participating in college sports. Those who don't prefer it have unique circumstances that prohibits them from seeking it out. (Notre Dame immediately comes to mind.)

The CAA isn't going to 'spin off' CAA FB because there's no impetus to do so for the schools involved, whether they are CAA members or not. In what regard would it be the right thing to do? Who would administer & market the Big Atlantic Football Conference, execute regional/national media and sponsorship deals, etc.? Why would the FB members of this league willingly surrender their votes on matters affecting D-I bylaws? Same holds true for the Mo Gateway FB League.

BearsCountry
August 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
YSU or Coastal for all sports including football. This is what I would like to see, but doubt it happens.

Yes please take YSU off the MVFC hands.

aceinthehole
August 8th, 2012, 02:35 PM
AE needs members, but CCS is exactly a fair trade after losing BU so I don't know. CCS's basketball facilities aren't great I heard and I don't know how Hartford would feel about them joining.

I hope so, but I'm not sure how much pull the NE/NY bloc has - we'd still need 3 votes from UD, Towson, W&M, 'Nova, and UR. But, if the AE-4 and URI were willing to go to the mat to get CCSU an invite to CAA Football (not saying they will, but if they did), then logically would also have to extend Central the offer to the AE as well. Makes no sense otherwise.

CCSU only has 2 options:
1) Status Quo - keep all 18 Division I teams in the NEC
2) America East/CAA Football - (and we would still have to find a home for M/W golf)

Hartford has always been rumored to be against CCSU in the AE (along with BU), but at this point they couldn't stop it if that's really what the rest of the league needed/wants. Also, this time around, CCSU's AD is the former Assoc. AD at Stony Brook - so he has very good relations with all the AE players.

BearsCountry
August 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
If CAA added Youngstown St for football, I wonder if they would go South and push Villanova North, or they make the Penguins go North. Travel wise is would save the Pens alot to play the Virginia schools. As going to the Northeast, it would be about the same travel as the eastern most MVFC schools I would assume.

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I hope so, but I'm not sure how much pull the NE/NY bloc has - we'd still need 3 votes from UD, Towson, W&M, 'Nova, and UR. But, if the AE-4 and URI were willing to go to the mat to get CCSU an invite to CAA Football (not saying they will, but if they did), then logically would also have to extend Central the offer to the AE as well. Makes no sense otherwise.

CCSU only has 2 options:
2) America East/CAA Football - (and we would still have to find a home for M/W golf)

Hartford has always been rumored to be against CCSU in the AE (along with BU), but at this point they couldn't stop it if that's really what the rest of the league needed/wants. Also, this time around, CCSU's AD is the former Assoc. AD at Stony Brook - so he has very good relations with all the AE players.

No one cares about Hartford...let's get you guys in here!

ccd494
August 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Deal?

Why would UNH or Maine do that? Neither cares one iota about basketball or really any of the sports America East sponsors in any major way (yes, UNH has some decent lax/soccer teams, and yes, Maine has a decent northern baseball program, but they aren't spending millions on those sports).

With Maine and UNH the priorities are always going to be:

1.) Hockey East
2.) CAA football (or really any max scholarship FCS conference)

The AE is a pretty poor fit for UNH and Maine when you disregard geography. Unfortunately, there isn't a good fit out there. So neither are going to risk their standing with CAA Football to benefit AE interests. Ask BU fans why they left the conference and they will say that a number of schools just didn't care about improving the conference in basketball or lacrosse or whatever. You can bet BU wasn't complaining about Vermont or the SUNYs with that statement.

Go...gate
August 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM

Good point, and it looks like they are going to be consistently good in Baseball. Who knows, maybe over time.

Go...gate
August 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Where do these moves (especially Stony Brook) leave Hofstra athletics in general? Have there been any developments on their possible resumption of football?

danefan
August 8th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Where do these moves (especially Stony Brook) leave Hofstra athletics in general? Have there been any developments on their possible resumption of football?

Bitter.

heath
August 8th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Great move for both. Football does rule at most schools(all that play football) so the basketball arena,TV etc will not matter.It's so amazing how a Canadian migrant that landed in Fargo has such an uneducated opinion on the CAA, and its future.Mplsbison,please go back to Winnipeg and wait for the snowmobile weather.xthumbsupx

State Line Liquors
August 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Who's Hofstra?

appsfan
August 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Congrats to both schools.

dgreco
August 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM

CCSU only has 2 options:

Option 2 seems too logical to be overlooked, especially if URI rejoins the CAA.

I hope it doesn't happen, because NEC football takes a big step back losing CCSU and UAlbany. Overall, I never thought Bryant was a great fit for the NEC, but I felt like the university jumped at the offer because it was an all sports home (with a nice transition into scholarship football).

slycat
August 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Congrats Albany and SBU fans. Great things going on at Albany with a conference jump and new stadium construction. Hope y'all can take advantage of the momentum and really turn up the fan support. SBU just keeps working their way up.