PDA

View Full Version : "Progress" at Fisher Field?

carney2
July 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
The VoyForum site for Lafayette athletics is beginning to grouse and grumble over progress on the stadium renovations. In particular, they seem alarmed that construction on neither the visiting stands nor the press box has commenced, and there are only 10 weeks until the home opener vs. Penn. Does anyone have any official or insider info on how things are going? I realize that even olde Noah would have been high and dry up on College Hill, but has the recent flood up and down the Delaware affected the project, possibly because of reduced access to the site? IMHO 10 weeks is still enough time to get this done, but as my wife frequently points out to me, I'm not the sharpest tack in the pack.

Pards Rule
July 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM
They gotta GETTER DONE!!! Contractor should have penalty clause for delays although they are often caveated for weather, etc.

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Tsk tsk...
Looks like the Leopards are going to be playing at 12th and Northampton Streets this September.

Pard4Life
July 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Flooding should not delay the project one bit. The only delay might have been a 20minute detour for trucks heading from Rt. 22 exiting at.. the exit after 3rd St... darn it I can't remember the street.

The water receeds at the base of the Hill in like a day. The city cleans and opens the road promptly.. it is basically the only open road to Forks Twp. and College Hill.

I think the project will be ready on time. Those areas that need to be constructed are not too complex. But, they have to start this month. The field is easy... that only takes three weeks.

Pards Rule
July 6th, 2006, 02:14 PM
13th Street...then comes 25th Street

Lafayette71
July 6th, 2006, 03:02 PM
They gotta GETTER DONE!!! Contractor should have penalty clause for delays although they are often caveated for weather, etc.

I am sure that there is a schedule built into the Construction managers Contract. Lafayette has employed Bovis construction on campus to CM their various building projects for a long time. There may be some overtime involved in getting it wrapped up for occupancy by the opening weekend, and typically the CM would negotiate some additional funds to pay for that if there is a justifiable weather related delay. In any case, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet they'll pull it together in time.

Dartmouth is in a similar situation. Part of their stadium was demo'd to make way for a new athletic building and reconstruction has yet to begin.

Pards Rule
July 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Depending on how the season goes, we may rename it Tavani Field

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Lafayette schedule update... the Sacred Heart games has been moved to a 2pm start time.

Also, a good indication of the skepticism that the lights might not be ready... all of our games are scheduled to begin at 1pm... but perhaps, maybe there isn't skepticism... the G'town and Lehigh games will start at 1pm, not 1230pm as usual.

I thought the Holy Cross game was going to start at 3pm, but going back to posts a month and a half ago, I have it listed as a 1pm game... I think I confused myself... does anyone else remember a 3pm start time for Holy Cross?

I don't think that Penn game will be a night game despite our speculation. Remember... the athletic department has to print out hundreds of magnetic schedules, posters, media guides with the schedule and time on it... plus, the PL needs a copy of the schedule... so what we are looking at now is likely the final schedule... :twocents:

Pards Rule
July 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
And they can't change the time? I'm sure Patriot League or I-AA only cares who you are playing on what days, not what time. Get the Leopard down there to starting pouring concrete - he's doing nothing offseason anyway except certain repetitive motions with his tail.

carney2
July 7th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Lafayette schedule update... the Sacred Heart games has been moved to a 2pm start time.

Also, a good indication of the skepticism that the lights might not be ready... all of our games are scheduled to begin at 1pm... but perhaps, maybe there isn't skepticism... the G'town and Lehigh games will start at 1pm, not 1230pm as usual.

I thought the Holy Cross game was going to start at 3pm, but going back to posts a month and a half ago, I have it listed as a 1pm game... I think I confused myself... does anyone else remember a 3pm start time for Holy Cross?

I don't think that Penn game will be a night game despite our speculation. Remember... the athletic department has to print out hundreds of magnetic schedules, posters, media guides with the schedule and time on it... plus, the PL needs a copy of the schedule... so what we are looking at now is likely the final schedule... :twocents:

Makes sense that at some point the test is over and the blue books have to be turned in, but...

What about Ellis's unofficial comments that the Penn game would be under the lights? I was really looking forward to that.

Yes, I also remember the Holy Cross game as a 3:00 start. It did not strike me as strange because it is Homecoming with other activities going on and, after all, we have lights. I thought that I saw it on the official schedule, but perhaps I only saw it here and took it as gospel. Frankly, I won't miss that oddball start time.

In any event, it has always been my impression that the lights are not really for football anyway. I have been assuming that they are primarily to be used for mid-week scheduling in other sports (lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, intramurals, who knows) that could now begin at 6:00 or 7:00 and not interfere with the regular school day.

Pards Rule
July 7th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Carney, I am hoping these lights would only be used for special occasion games. Certainly don't want all the games or a substantial part of them under the lights.

cosmo here
July 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM

You're right, it was originally 3 p.m., but there were probably internal discussions the whole time. It's nice for the team to be in a rythym with a standard start time, which might explain the slow starts in night games over the last couple years (Princeton 2004, Marist 2005) . . lets hope for better results at Bucknell and Princeton this year.

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Makes sense that at some point the test is over and the blue books have to be turned in, but...

What about Ellis's unofficial comments that the Penn game would be under the lights? I was really looking forward to that.

Yes, I also remember the Holy Cross game as a 3:00 start. It did not strike me as strange because it is Homecoming with other activities going on and, after all, we have lights. I thought that I saw it on the official schedule, but perhaps I only saw it here and took it as gospel. Frankly, I won't miss that oddball start time.

In any event, it has always been my impression that the lights are not really for football anyway. I have been assuming that they are primarily to be used for mid-week scheduling in other sports (lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, intramurals, who knows) that could now begin at 6:00 or 7:00 and not interfere with the regular school day.

The 3pm start for HC was listed on the official schedule. I saw it on goleopards and then likely posted it on here.. but sleuthing the post could take awhile.

If the claim is accurate that Weiss said 7pm, then I guess that's still a wait and see. But, they have to install everything first.

Why do you think the lights are not for football? Any press that's out there seems to point to that it's for both football and other sports. That is why they are installing different types of lights for various settings.

Pard4Life
July 7th, 2006, 10:04 AM
You're right, it was originally 3 p.m., but there were probably internal discussions the whole time. It's nice for the team to be in a rythym with a standard start time, which might explain the slow starts in night games over the last couple years (Princeton 2004, Marist 2005) . . lets hope for better results at Bucknell and Princeton this year.

If you go by rythym, 7pm UPenn makes sense.. Bucknell 7pm.. UPenn 7pm.. Princeton 6pm... Yale 1pm... bye... 1pm rest of the year.

cosmo here
July 7th, 2006, 10:11 AM
If you go by rythym, 7pm UPenn makes sense.. Bucknell 7pm.. UPenn 7pm.. Princeton 6pm... Yale 1pm... bye... 1pm rest of the year.

Well, except that's one the games that's never been listed at a time other than 1 p.m. By my count, the ones that have changed are at Sacred Heart (1 to 2), at Harvard (1 to 12:30), Holy Cross (3 to 1) and at Fordham (12:30 to 1).

I don't think the coaches want to have the players sit around all day waiting for a home game, regardless of what the discussions are in the athletic dept. They'd like to avoid hanging around in the hotel all day on the road, also, which is why they made the trip to Princeton the day of the flood two years ago, however, an overnight trip there is a necessity this year after that debacle.

I do think where the lights will be most helpful is if the start time of a home Lehigh game has to be moved to mid-afternoon for national TV.

Marcus Garvey
July 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Night football games are vastly overrated. Frankly, the weather in Sept. and Oct. in the Northeast is gorgeous for daytime football. The only time I think night games ought to be played (excluding TV broadcasts) is if heat's a factor. Schools in the South and Desert Southwest play night games early in the season.

Aren't the lights intended primarily for other sports during the week? Merril Field at Alfred University has had lights since about 1930, and I doubt they've played more than two dozen night games in that span. The lights were meant for soccer, field hockey, la crosse, etc...

Pard4Life
July 10th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I am not sure what the minor panic is about regarding progress on the field. I finally was able to see the webcam and it seems that everything is moving along rather well. The visitor stands appear to be under construction... the gravel and sand looks to be in position to begin being laid on the field (this only takes about 3-4 weeks to the point where laying the turf is completed). And I assume the grading and lowering of the field 18 inches is complete.

Progress does not seem to be made on the press box behind the grandstand, but one cannot really see it so well on the webcam. But from what some people say.. it's still a hole. This will likely start on this soon, once the 'heavy' construction is done on the field. If nothing has begun by August 1 then I would worry.

carney2
July 10th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Why do you think the lights are not for football? Any press that's out there seems to point to that it's for both football and other sports. That is why they are installing different types of lights for various settings.

I reread my earlier comment and have concluded that I aint got good English. I never intended to imply that the lights will not be used for football. You have to admit though that the lights are a fairly hefty expense. It is hard to believe that they were justified by a night football game or two in September plus the ability to negate another "catch in the gloaming" in November. I'm thinking that football is the tail and not the dog when it comes to those lights.

Go...gate
July 10th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Lights may also help if you get a home play-off game. It was getting dark at Andy Kerr Stadium near the end of the 2003 UMass and WIU games.

ngineer
July 10th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I agree that lights are overblown as so important for football. Bucknell has lights at Christy Mathewson and hardly ever play football at night. Local high school and other sports usually do.
Also, we have had a lot of thunderstorms--very severe--over the past few weeks and I imagine that could have caused some delays at the site. However, I'm still hopin for the Penn game in the p.m. so we can have the Patriot/Ivy Double Dip with Ralph coming in!

Ken_Z
July 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I agree that lights are overblown as so important for football. Bucknell has lights at Christy Mathewson and hardly ever play football at night. Local high school and other sports usually do.

actually, in recent years, Bucknell has played most September home games under the lights. usually only 1 or 2 games a year, but the first 3 are all at home and at night this year.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
actually, in recent years, Bucknell has played most September home games under the lights. usually only 1 or 2 games a year, but the first 3 are all at home and at night this year.

Any way that we can sneak in there and disable those lights? As detailed in another post, scheduling the game against Lafayette on 9/9 at night is playing havoc with my away game travel plans.

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Lights may also help if you get a home play-off game. It was getting dark at Andy Kerr Stadium near the end of the 2003 UMass and WIU games.

Agreed. It gives the Committee options as to start times.

I doubt if this was a factor in the decision to install lights, however. Maybe just some throw in "icing on the cake" during the discussions.

Marcus Garvey
July 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Agreed. It gives the Committee options as to start times.

I doubt if this was a factor in the decision to install lights, however. Maybe just some throw in "icing on the cake" during the discussions.

I would say the lights are for other sports, such as soccer, which is played during the week. Lights enable the starting time to be pushed back an hour or two, thus reducing the amount of class time missed by students.

cosmo here
July 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
I would say the lights are for other sports, such as soccer, which is played during the week. Lights enable the starting time to be pushed back an hour or two, thus reducing the amount of class time missed by students.

Lafayette just renovated its soccer facility, complete with lights, last summer, so they're not going anywhere. The lights at Fisher Field will definitely be used for football practice though, once that entire operation moves on campus.

Pard4Life
July 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Lafayette just renovated its soccer facility, complete with lights, last summer, so they're not going anywhere. The lights at Fisher Field will definitely be used for football practice though, once that entire operation moves on campus.

As mentioned above, a later practice time could assist the academic aspect.. i.e. allowing later afternoon classes.

I do not think it would have been just to renovate the entire facility and not construct lights. Given our recent involvement in the I-AA playoffs and greater scheduling options, McC and the donors must have realized the advantages of lights. Plus, they are for intramurals as well.

I would not mind seeing a major soccer game or two at Fisher.. i.e. the PL Finals.

cosmo here
July 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM
As mentioned above, a later practice time could assist the academic aspect.. i.e. allowing later afternoon classes.

I do not think it would have been just to renovate the entire facility and not construct lights. Given our recent involvement in the I-AA playoffs and greater scheduling options, McC and the donors must have realized the advantages of lights. Plus, they are for intramurals as well.

I would not mind seeing a major soccer game or two at Fisher.. i.e. the PL Finals.

I agree with everything, except for the last comment. While in principle that would be nice . . the team would have played all of its home games on grass, before switching to FieldTurf for the final. Also, they have a sparkling new, soccer-only facility built with some of the same donors money that is integral in the Fisher Field project. That facility was upgraded to host a championship men's program, and hopefully soon, a championship women's program . . the same that Fisher Field is being renovated to host a championshp football program.

Ken_Z
July 11th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Any way that we can sneak in there and disable those lights? As detailed in another post, scheduling the game against Lafayette on 9/9 at night is playing havoc with my away game travel plans.

no chance, we need the advantage this year. just to keep 13 happy with my chest thumping, i will add that i see Lafayette as our second most likely upset victim behind 'gate of the "BIG 3" or "PL HEAVYWEIGHTS" or however you guys are referring to it today. but a win over Laf is just a possibility whereas a win over 'gate feels likely. :D

Marcus Garvey
July 11th, 2006, 04:03 PM

Are they planning on moving everything into the stadium and that dinky "practice" field? How very... high school. :rolleyes: Shoot, that would be a big turnoff for me. After checking out Lehigh's practice facilities, then seeing Lafayette doing drills in the stadium, I'd be hard pressed pick LC over LU. Aren't they going to upgrade the facilites at Metzgar too?

cosmo here
July 11th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Are they planning on moving everything into the stadium and that dinky "practice" field? How very... high school. :rolleyes: Shoot, that would be a big turnoff for me. After checking out Lehigh's practice facilities, then seeing Lafayette doing drills in the stadium, I'd be hard pressed pick LC over LU. Aren't they going to upgrade the facilites at Metzgar too?

The "practice" field (20x70 yards, or something like that) is for the blocking and tackling sleds. All of the other drills will be on the FieldTurf in a beautiful new facility, next to the beautiful new football varsity house with the expanded strength & conditioning and sports medicine areas, with the coaches offices upstairs, with new meeting and film rooms . .

The big turn-off is bussing in from Metzgar on game days, then bussing out after the game . . driving 3 miles to get to practice after class . . all of that is fixed with the renovations.

I'm sure Metzgar will be upgraded for all of the other varsity athletes . . and by moving 100 football players, locker rooms etc. out of Metzgar, that benefits everybody else.

I don't know how you can possibly spin a $23 million upgrade of all football operations into a negative.

colgate13
July 11th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Face it, LC and LU are both losing out to Colgate's expansive football facilities! At last check, it was 3 full size fields right next to the stadium! :D

carney2
July 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Face it, LC and LU are both losing out to Colgate's expansive football facilities! At last check, it was 3 full size fields right next to the stadium! :D

There's lots of extra space up there on the tundra.

Marcus Garvey
July 11th, 2006, 09:17 PM
I don't know how you can possibly spin a $23 million upgrade of all football operations into a negative.

I'm not spinning, but rather pointing out the flaws in a good, but not perfect plan. Overall, it's great, I think they've taken 2 leaps forward, and one back for a net gain of 1. I had more practice space in middle school. As for bussing, Lehigh already does that, and it hasn't killed them. In fact, it was their superior facilities that helped them to beat you 7 years straight. They had better talent. Why pass up an opportunity to have a first class practice facility?

I'm saying that long term, it's a mistake to move EVERYTHING on campus given the limited space. If they had at least one more regulation sized field, it'd work better. Face it, practicing in the stadium has a chicken***** feel to it. Of course, I may be wrong. We'll just have to see.

colgate13
July 12th, 2006, 07:36 AM
Face it, practicing in the stadium has a chicken***** feel to it. Of course, I may be wrong. We'll just have to see.

I wouldn't go that far, but it does remind me a little of high school. BUT, if the facilities are nice enough, cool!

The problem I see is, what if you want to run two drills that take up the entire field? You're screwed. You can work around it, but it's a coaching hassle.

Pard4Life
July 12th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Well, they probably consulted Tavani on this project (it would be stupid to have not) and he likely agreed to the plan and found a way to work things out. Given limited space, he probably had to devise a practice schedule four years before the first practice there.

I'm not sure practicing in the stadium is such a big deal. You have the varsity house right next to the field... and it might get the players to focus more, knowing that is where there are going to have to 'take care of business'. Good practice in the stadium could equal having higher confidence. Just a speculative prognosis.

carney2
July 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure practicing in the stadium is such a big deal. You have the varsity house right next to the field... and it might get the players to focus more, knowing that is where there are going to have to 'take care of business'. Good practice in the stadium could equal having higher confidence. Just a speculative prognosis.

Another spin is that suddenly game day is not such a big deal since you essentially go to the same place you've been going for weeks. Eh, it's all conjecture at this point. It will be what the coaches make it. No more, no less.