PDA

View Full Version : UNI Lands Stellar QB Transfer

Mountain Panther
July 5th, 2006, 10:06 PM
http://www.mndaily.com/articles/2006/07/05/68558

Gophers lose one, gain one via transfers
By Chris Lempesis

arcel Jones was one of the more heralded Minnesota football recruits in the 2005 incoming class.
But Jones never reached the field with the Gophers last season and, now it appears he never will, as Jones has transferred to Division 1-AA Northern Iowa, said his father, Randy.

His father said his son also had transfer offers from Division I-A programs such as Boston College and Hawaii. Since Northern Iowa is a Division 1-AA school, Jones will not have to sit out the upcoming season.

"Marcel was never happy (at Minnesota)," his father said. "Marcel committed before his senior season (at Simley High School in Inver Grove Heights, Minn.), the spring of his junior year, actually. And then he went to summer camp and he came home and told me, 'This isn't the right place. It didn't feel right.' "

Things didn't go well for Jones off the field, either, as he - along with wrestler Nate Matousek - was charged with third-degree felony assault stemming from an incident at a Dec. 9 party in which a 20-year-old man suffered broken teeth and a black eye.

Matousek's charges were dropped in early May and Jones' father said the felony charges against his son have also been dropped but that his son has accepted a plea on a misdemeanor of aiding and abetting and will probably receive probation. Marcel Jones declined to comment.

"He had that incident last December where there were a lot of published reports that were lies," Jones' father said.

"He was asked to take a polygraph test by the FBI and he took a polygraph test and passed it, stating clearly that he did not kick this kid."

Jones' father also said the allegation that his son made a phone call bragging about kicking the victim's teeth in was proved to be untrue through phone records.

"Somewhere along the line, my son's been made out to be an animal, and he's not," Jones said.

But, his father said, that is all in the past now and Marcel Jones is just looking to receive a fresh start.

And so far, he's getting one.

"Marcel called last night," his father said. "He goes, 'This is what football's supposed to be. I'm enjoying football for the first time in two years.' "

Chi Panther
July 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM
http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38606&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=261449&Q_SEASON=2005

:bow: :hurray: :read: :hurray: :bow:

slostang
July 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Sounds like a great addition, but you can only play one QB at a time. Who is going to sit? Jones or Sanders?

McNeese75
July 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Great pickup for the Panthers (if it does not cause more problems than add to the overall team performance)

blur2005
July 5th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I wonder what Sanders thinks about this? I think UNI would be crazy to not stick with him.

Chi Panther
July 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Jones is coming in with 4 years of eligability....he may have BIG ideas....but he will most likely serve as a back up and start as a Junior/Senior.

He also still needs to knock this kid off the depth chart who could be a stud.....
http://unipanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/grace_patrick00.html

Mr. C
July 6th, 2006, 02:05 AM
There is NO WAY you start some transfer ahead of Eric Sanders. Sanders is the heart and soul of the Panthers. It would cause a lot of chemistry problems to sit Sanders. Also, Sanders has three years in the UNI system. This transfer has none.

UNH 40
July 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
There is NO WAY you start some transfer ahead of Eric Sanders. Sanders is the heart and soul of the Panthers. It would cause a lot of chemistry problems to sit Sanders. Also, Sanders has three years in the UNI system. This transfer has none.

Couldn't agree with you more. Sanders is undoubtebly the leader of that ball club. He is very much in the same mold as Ricky Santos. Sanders has that "IT" factor, that swagger, and ability to win in all conditions. Without Sanders last season UNI does not make it anywhere near the championship game, they might have missed the playoffs.

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Regarding Sanders and Jones, everything will be alright in Pantherland. Mark Farley is a tremendous manager of people and egos. As Chi Panther said above, Jones is likely for the future, post-Sanders.

ALSO, remember what happened when we didn't have a quality back up for Sanders v Missouri State and Illinois State? We lost two games, we likely shoud not have lost.

Case closed.