PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele Preview Coming Soon....

smallcollegefbfan
August 3rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm excited. I have seen the top 5. I won't let the cat out of the bag but there are surprises. Some hints for his top 5.

He does have a MVFC team in the top 5 and it's not North Dakota State.

He really likes a certain CAA team to go very far this year.

He does not have App State in his top 10. Does he have them in the top 15? I'll let them release that.

Montana is not in the top 15.

Hint on the #1 team is that this team went far in the playoffs this year and has 2 legit senior NFL prospects.

A Big South team is ranked in the top 10.

He has a Big Sky team in the top 15 I like as a sleeper. In fact he has two who I like that were not in the final top 15.

His top 40 is very different from most of what we have seen so far. I really didn't see anything that looked crazy stupid on paper. He is being different but on paper you can argue everyone in his top 15. I think he does have Lehigh still a bit high and I am not as high on UNI as he is but it's a very solid ranking.

He did a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th team All-America list.

Excited to see the final product! :)

Gringer1
August 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I'm looking forward to getting my copy, but I remember his #1 pick being a kiss of death last year.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
What a tease!

cpalum
August 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
C'mon....I'm gonna go camp by the maibox

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Anybody know when it's expected to ship?

BisonFan02
August 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I'm excited. I have seen the top 5. I won't let the cat out of the bag but there are surprises. Some hints for his top 5.

He does have a MVFC team in the top 5 and it's not North Dakota State.

He really likes a certain CAA team to go very far this year.

He does not have App State in his top 10. Does he have them in the top 15? I'll let them release that.

Montana is not in the top 15.

Hint on the #1 team is that this team went far in the playoffs this year and has 2 legit senior NFL prospects.

A Big South team is ranked in the top 10.

He has a Big Sky team in the top 15 I like as a sleeper. In fact he has two who I like that were not in the final top 15.

His top 40 is very different from most of what we have seen so far. I really didn't see anything that looked crazy stupid on paper. He is being different but on paper you can argue everyone in his top 15. I think he does have Lehigh still a bit high and I am not as high on UNI as he is but it's a very solid ranking.

xnutsx xcoffeex ummmmm.....sure.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2012, 12:52 AM

He does have a MVFC team in the top 5 and it's not North Dakota State. Has to be either UNI or YSU

He really likes a certain CAA team to go very far this year. Towson?

He does not have App State in his top 10. Does he have them in the top 15? I'll let them release that. Probably.

Montana is not in the top 15. Not surprised.

Hint on the #1 team is that this team went far in the playoffs this year and has 2 legit senior NFL prospects. Georgia Southern?

A Big South team is ranked in the top 10. Stony Brook.

He has a Big Sky team in the top 15 I like as a sleeper. In fact he has two who I like that were not in the final top 15. EWU and Cal Poly?

^ ^ ^

mgbison
August 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM
If he doesn't have NDSU in the preseason top 5, the magazine is a joke and I'm pissed I spent money on it. I don't think NDSU has to be #1, but top 5 for sure.

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2012, 02:17 AM
NDSU could be #6, which isn't too much of a stretch; you guys did lose some key pieces. But I agree, NC's should be top 5.

344Johnson
August 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM
If he doesn't have NDSU in the preseason top 5, the magazine is a joke and I'm pissed I spent money on it. I don't think NDSU has to be #1, but top 5 for sure.

Take 'er easy. He might think that at least 5 teams are going to better. That is entirely possible.

mgbison
August 7th, 2012, 04:32 AM
NC's that return the majority of the their team and the starting QB should be in the top 5. I would really like to hear the logic of how there are more than a couple of teams that could be preseason ranked ahead of NDSU. Besides SHSU, I can't think of one. Our best players were sophomores last year and we have a huge class of them. Plus, we rotated so many players last year, that being a starter was misleading.

Plus I'm not buying the argument of a team having a couple players getting drafted. GSU for example, Russell is projected to get drafted but I'd take our d-line as a unit over GSU's any day of the week.

bluehenbillk
August 7th, 2012, 07:57 AM
When is the sucker gonna ship??? I'm getting anxious!!!

NHwildEcat
August 7th, 2012, 08:07 AM
When is the sucker gonna ship??? I'm getting anxious!!!

Likewise...this is my first year ordering it!

UNDColorado
August 7th, 2012, 09:26 AM
When I ordered it in June I remember seeing something about a mid August shipping date. So hopefully any day now...

RichH2
August 7th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I was told first week in Aug. So I am hoping it gets sent this week.

bluehenbillk
August 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I called - they're going to press today - should ship before end of next week.

Gringer1
August 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Eastern Washington would have said the same thing if they were placed below 5th after their championship. Turns out, that would have been correct. Don't get me wrong, I put NDSU in my top 5, but Phil Steele likes to take chances on his picks. He puts some odd ones in the top 10 and some favorites in the 15-20 range. Making different predictions that mainstream thought is how these guys survive. The successful ones, like Mr. Steele, end up right more often than not.

mgbison
August 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
EWU sucked last year cause half their team got hurt. It still made sense to have them ranked in the preseason as one of the top teams.

Anyone can pick a bunch of upsets and one or two of them will pan out. It doesn't mean the picks made sense.

I'll quit complaining until I see the magazine.

bluehenbillk
August 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
If you'd like to "see" the magazine, here it is:

http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2012/Aug12/DBAug7.html

Fear the Bird
August 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
FYI, Phil Steele tweeted the following today: "@philsteele042: If I do not see a significant increase in demand this year then this will be my last year of publishing an FCS Preview!"

LUHawker
August 7th, 2012, 02:20 PM
FYI, Phil Steele tweeted the following today: "@philsteele042: If I do not see a significant increase in demand this year then this will be my last year of publishing an FCS Preview!"

If I wasn't active on this board, I'd know nothing about Phil's FCS Preview.

I love the product, but I've seen virtually no marketing and I don't believe its available at most booksellers. Phil needs to do some marketing and distribution. Rough guess of potential customers: ~124 FCS schools with average attendance of ~6k gives a total addressable market of ~750k customers. Not going to ever hit that but Phil needs to get to the conference directors and School Media folks to advertise/generate interest.

Come on Phil, you can do better than Tweeting!

Bearkat-Backer
August 7th, 2012, 02:26 PM

It's the same story every year. I am begining to wonder if it isn't just a marketing ploy to sell more copies.

RichH2
August 7th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Every year? Only 2nd yeat for FCS.

coover
August 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM
No mail delivery at my home, so I have to go to the Post Office every day! I placed my order the first part of July ...

I'm kind of reminded of that TV commercial where the lady stands by the closed door of a department store and chants "Open, open, open, open".

I'm standing by my PO Box chanting "Get here, get here, get here, get here"... So GET HERE!!!!:)

eiu1999
August 7th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I too am waiting for mine.

citdog
August 7th, 2012, 03:32 PM
I too am waiting for mine.

i'll bet your wife, who has a larger schmeckle than you do, ripped it up in a steroid fueled rage because there were no new york city phonebooks around which she usually uses.

eiu1999
August 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
i'll bet your wife, who has a larger schmeckle than you do, ripped it up in a steroid fueled rage because there were no new york city phonebooks around which she usually uses.

*Yawn*

Screamin_Eagle174
August 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
EWU sucked last year cause half their team got hurt. It still made sense to have them ranked in the preseason as one of the top teams.

Anyone can pick a bunch of upsets and one or two of them will pan out. It doesn't mean the picks made sense.

I'll quit complaining until I see the magazine.

Two-thirds (14 starters). xnonono2x

bleedblue
August 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm guessing the CAA team is Towson. A lot of people are high on Towson and West is on the cover so that's my guess. I will say though I don't understand why people are so high on Towson. They are good but I THINK they are 1 of 3 or 4 teams that could win the CAA. They are not the best team hands down. Should be a fun year.

mmiller_34
August 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I need to order mine still... last year I was able to pick up two copies at the Barnes & Noble in West Des Moines. Anybody know if he is going to send out FCS mags to select locations?

Mr. Bojangles
August 7th, 2012, 09:23 PM
No mail delivery at my home, so I have to go to the Post Office every day! I placed my order the first part of July ...

I'm kind of reminded of that TV commercial where the lady stands by the closed door of a department store and chants "Open, open, open, open".

I'm standing by my PO Box chanting "Get here, get here, get here, get here"... So GET HERE!!!!:)

I was told today that the pre-orders would ship in 2 weeks.

smallcollegefbfan
August 7th, 2012, 09:40 PM
NC's that return the majority of the their team and the starting QB should be in the top 5. I would really like to hear the logic of how there are more than a couple of teams that could be preseason ranked ahead of NDSU. Besides SHSU, I can't think of one. Our best players were sophomores last year and we have a huge class of them. Plus, we rotated so many players last year, that being a starter was misleading.

Plus I'm not buying the argument of a team having a couple players getting drafted. GSU for example, Russell is projected to get drafted but I'd take our d-line as a unit over GSU's any day of the week.

Arguments against it are the following from PS:

1. NDSU lost a lot of seniors returning a team with mostly sophomores and juniors.
2. Tough schedule. He is calling for a loss to Colorado State and possibly to Illinois State on the road to end the year. He has YSU ahead of NDSU but I personally think NDSU wins that game or should because it's at home and is a revenge game for them. I do think the 3 game stretch of UNI, YSU, and Indiana State will be tough though. With Indiana State, Illinois State, YSU, Colorado State, UNI, and SIU they do face a battle tested schedule.
3. NDSU forced like 26 turnovers last year. Their ratio was very good and teams rarely do that.
4. Last but not least PS tries to predict what will happen. Teams rarely ever repeat. So just by not picking NDSU #1 you are 85-90% likely to be right. I don't think NDSU repeats this year for sure but I do think they should be top 5.

If you look at depth charts right now you could argue that NDSU and App State should be 1 and 2 for 2013 though.

smallcollegefbfan
August 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Their All-America teams were suppose to come out today I thought. I expect to see them released any day now.

bluehenbillk
August 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Phil needs to get his act together. Stop threatening to publish next year & get the damn book out. He should know better - the golden rule in sports preview publishing is timing. After Labor Day he can count on his hands how many he'll sell. Basically it's all pre-sales & word of mouth, kind of like he wants/it's destined not to sell much.

I just want to have time to read the thing before the kickoff weekend. That was the issue with the old CSN 1-AA preview.

Mr. Bojangles
August 8th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Top 40- #20-#40

http://www.philsteele.com/FCSINFO/2012FCSTop40.html

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Phil needs to get his act together. Stop threatening to publish next year & get the damn book out. He should know better - the golden rule in sports preview publishing is timing. After Labor Day he can count on his hands how many he'll sell. Basically it's all pre-sales & word of mouth, kind of like he wants/it's destined not to sell much.

I just want to have time to read the thing before the kickoff weekend. That was the issue with the old CSN 1-AA preview.

I think the reason they are delayed this year is because they aren't having to put it in stores so they just decided to delay it a little bit so they could be more accurate. I know people want to read these things in June but they are so out of date by then. Go read his FBS preview. As good as it is he needs to update it. There are so many transfers and injuries by now that all of those mags from May and June are outdated big time.

jmufan999
August 8th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I also get tired of the "threats": "If you don't buy enough this year, I won't publish one next year."

I know why he does this, I can't even say I blame him. But there are people that treat PS like he's God. He makes some good predictions, and others that are way off. I am also fairly certain the FCS mag is mostly done by assistants/other writers. Look at the list of "contributors". What do you think they were contributing? How could he possibly have time to cover EVERY FBS AND FCS team by himself? I don't think he does, he just slaps the "Phil Steele" brand on the cover. It's a decent mag, but most people only care because it's the ONLY FCS mag out there.

That said, I'll be buying one again this year. :)

If it goes over $15 next year, I'm done. Pretty sure it was $11-12 last year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing the CAA team is Towson. A lot of people are high on Towson and West is on the cover so that's my guess. I will say though I don't understand why people are so high on Towson. They are good but I THINK they are 1 of 3 or 4 teams that could win the CAA. They are not the best team hands down. Should be a fun year.

It's not Towson.

It's funny though to hear people say no way and this team is the 5th best team in their league now, etc. and then in the postseason that team wins the league. This is why we play the games. :)

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I also get tired of the "threats": "If you don't buy enough this year, I won't publish one next year."

I know why he does this, I can't even say I blame him. But there are people that treat PS like he's God. He makes some good predictions, and others that are way off. I am also fairly certain the FCS mag is mostly done by assistants/other writers. Look at the list of "contributors". What do you think they were contributing? How could he possibly have time to cover EVERY FBS AND FCS team by himself? I don't think he does, he just slaps the "Phil Steele" brand on the cover. It's a decent mag, but most people only care because it's the ONLY FCS mag out there.

That said, I'll be buying one again this year. :)

If it goes over $15 next year, I'm done. Pretty sure it was $11-12 last year.

First on the price. That includes S&H. If you bought it in the store it was cheaper. S&H goes up all the time so that's why their is an increase there. The other reason for the hike in price is because of the lack of sales that has kept any others from even doing one and the fact that he lost over 100K on the FCS mag last year. The fact he is even doing one this year is amazing. I highly doubt you and I know I wouldn't do one if I lost that much money on a major project like that. I know how the "threat" comes off but it's more of a warning that hey you guys need to show there is interest because I won't lose my butt on it again like this is what he means.

As for his staff and how he does things. He is very honest in his FBS mag that his brother Jim is his in-house FCS guy who covers it big time. Phil, his brother, and his GM all 3 spend a lot of time on it. Now as for the staff I'm surprised there aren't more. When you consider there is someone who does the layout, designs the cover, there are 3-6 proofs done on every team and article, they have outside information such as the TSN info, draft info, and they assign someone to oversee everything such as the ratings, all-league teams, inputting the stats, someone in charge of sales, and he has someone designated to follow a conference during the season in his office to help compile information. When you consider all of that plus there are likely more things I'm forgetting then yes he should have a staff that big. One person can't do a big project like that by themselves. It's impossible.

I will say I'm on your side and I wouldn't pay more than 15 for it. As a member of the media I get one free but that is still a lot of money. If sales in the stores had gone well it would be in Wal-Mart and just 8 or 9 bucks. So honestly part of the blame is on the fans who didn't buy it so therefore they didn't want to pay the massive publishing costs and shipping to send it all over the country. When you print 50k copies of a mag and only sale like 3k that isn't nearly enough to justify printing that many again.

jmufan999
August 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
First on the price. That includes S&H. If you bought it in the store it was cheaper. S&H goes up all the time so that's why their is an increase there. The other reason for the hike in price is because of the lack of sales that has kept any others from even doing one and the fact that he lost over 100K on the FCS mag last year. The fact he is even doing one this year is amazing. I highly doubt you and I know I wouldn't do one if I lost that much money on a major project like that. I know how the "threat" comes off but it's more of a warning that hey you guys need to show there is interest because I won't lose my butt on it again like this is what he means.

As for his staff and how he does things. He is very honest in his FBS mag that his brother Jim is his in-house FCS guy who covers it big time. Phil, his brother, and his GM all 3 spend a lot of time on it. Now as for the staff I'm surprised there aren't more. When you consider there is someone who does the layout, designs the cover, there are 3-6 proofs done on every team and article, they have outside information such as the TSN info, draft info, and they assign someone to oversee everything such as the ratings, all-league teams, inputting the stats, someone in charge of sales, and he has someone designated to follow a conference during the season in his office to help compile information. When you consider all of that plus there are likely more things I'm forgetting then yes he should have a staff that big. One person can't do a big project like that by themselves. It's impossible.

I will say I'm on your side and I wouldn't pay more than 15 for it. As a member of the media I get one free but that is still a lot of money. If sales in the stores had gone well it would be in Wal-Mart and just 8 or 9 bucks. So honestly part of the blame is on the fans who didn't buy it so therefore they didn't want to pay the massive publishing costs and shipping to send it all over the country. When you print 50k copies of a mag and only sale like 3k that isn't nearly enough to justify printing that many again.

Very good info, I really appreciate it. Given what you said, the only thing that confuses me is this: If he lost so much money last year, why is he doing it again? I know it's not out of the kindness of his heart. Just doesn't seem like a very smart business decision.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Very good info, I really appreciate it. Given what you said, the only thing that confuses me is this: If he lost so much money last year, why is he doing it again? I know it's not out of the kindness of his heart. Just doesn't seem like a very smart business decision.

Much of the money lost on the mag was the fact he had to pay the publishing and distribution of it plus the fact he had to pay a portion of the money to Wal-Mart and other vendors. He has taken A LOT of the cost out of it by only selling it online and not having all that other stuff. There are some in his office who told me they didn't think he should do more than make it as an online PDF and sale it for like $4 bucks he wanted to do a hard copy.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Phil Steele just sent out an email to the media and SIDs with the preseason All-America and top 40 teams. They should start leaking out here soon.

His top 40:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST
2) JAMES MADISON
3) MONTANA ST
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST
5) WOFFORD
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON
8) TOWSON
9) STONY BROOK
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN
11) NEW HAMPSHIRE
12) DELAWARE
13) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
14) NORTHERN ARI ZONA
15) NORTHERN IOWA
16) APPALACHIAN ST
17) EASTERN KENTUCKY
18) LEHIGH
19) OLD DOMINION
20) MONTANA
21) ILLINOIS ST
22) SOUTH CAROLINA ST
23) HARVARD
24) JACKSONVILLE ST
25) ALABAMA ST
26) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
27) MCNEESE ST
28) GRAMBLING ST
29) CHATTANOOGA
30) MAINE
31) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
32) MURRAY ST
33) INDIANA ST
34) WILLIAM & MARY
35) PENN
36) NORFOLK ST
37) DUQUESNE
38) UT MARTIN
39) LIBERTY
40) HOLY CROSS

This list takes into account not only talent but strength of schedule as some teams that would likely win a head-to-head contest are listed below others because
they have a tougher schedule and will have a weaker record. For updated FCS Power Ratings check out PhilSteele.com during the football season.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Saw this note in the release they sent out.

The magazine will begin shipping soon! Make sure you order your copy today! A single issue sells for $8.95 plus $5.30
shipping and handling. However, we want you to help spread the word about this outstanding FCS coverage. Order 2
to 3 copies and pay just $7.95 per magazine (plus $5.30 s/h). Or even better - order between ten and 15 magazines and
pay just $5.95 per magazine (plus $11.30 s/h).* Call today and we’ll ship yours the minute they land in our offices!

Number of Magazines Price Per Magazine Shipping & Handling
1 $8.95 $5.30
2-3 $7.95 $5.30
10-15 $5.95 $11.30

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM
His first-team All-America list

Phil Steele’s 2012 1st Team All-Americans
offense
QB Brad Sorensen Southern Utah
RB Terrance West Towson
RB Timothy Flanders Sam Houston St
FB Eric Breitenstein Wofford
WR Aaron Mellette Elon
WR Ryan Spadola Lehigh
WR Nicholas Edwards Eastern Washington
TE Colin Anderson Furman
OL Aaron Adams Eastern Kentucky
OL Blake Matthews Norfolk St
OL Malcolm Boyd Liberty
OL Earl Watford James Madison
OL Evan Conrad Southeast Missouri St

defense
DL Brent Russell Georgia Southern
DL Willie Jefferson Stephen F. Austin
DL Blake Oliaro San Diego
DL Ben Obaseki Indiana St
DE/LB Tyler Starr South Dakota
LB Keith Pough Howard
LB Jeremy Kimbrough Appalachian St
LB Matt Evans New Hampshire
DB Marcus Williams North Dakota St
DB Darnell Taylor Sam Houston St
DB Kejuan Riley Alabama St
DB B.W. Webb William & Mary

specialists
K Zach Brown Portland St
P Jonathan Plisco Old Dominion
KR Kevin Fogg Liberty
PR Gralyn Crawford Stephen F. Austin

Professor Chaos
August 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
FWIW, Phil Steele had NDSU 20th to start last year. Significantly lower than most other polls so this looks good to me! xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 01:15 PM
FWIW, Phil Steele had NDSU 20th to start last year. Significantly lower than most other polls so this looks good to me! xthumbsupx

I remember that. I think most of us figured top 10-12 and I do remember thinking 20th was a little low, and it proved to be.

Let me say that usually in this day and age the NC has a lot of seniors and juniors who are NFL prospects. That's something I have noticed.

Here is a look back at the last 3 NCs and their NFL prospects
2011- NDSU
Prospects- Matt Veldman, Paul Cornick, DJ McNorton, Daniel Eaves, and Coulter Boyer all were getting looks. They had the one safety sign in the CFL. Then you had sophomores like Billy Turner, Marcus Williams, etc. who were key in the run.

2010- Eastern Washington
Prospects- This roster was loaded with NFL talent from Taiwan Jones (4th round pick), Brandon Kaufman, Nicholas Edwards, Renard Williams, Jesse Hoffman, JC Sherritt is in the CFL and doing well, Matt Johnson (4th round pick), and CFL QB Bo Levi Mitchell.

2009- Villanova
Prospects- Norman White, Ben Ijalana (2nd round pick), John Dempsey, Chris Farmer, Thomas Weaver, Ross Ventrone, Brandyn Harvey, Phil Matusz, Jonathan Bugli, and Osayi Osunde all got looks or are on NFL rosters right now.

I won't go in depth on Richmond and the 3 previous App State teams but they all had plenty of NFL talent. A couple players this year getting NFL looks from Richmond were on that team.

This just goes to show that in FCS if you want to have enough talent to come out of the playoffs against the best you better have at least 6-7 players that are pro caliber players.

Here are the prospects of those in Phil's top 10:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST- They have 4 getting strong looks right now.
2) JAMES MADISON- They have 7 getting strong looks with 2 I believe will get drafted.
3) MONTANA ST- They have 4 prospects.
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST- There are 7 with 4 of the 7 being underclassmen right now.
5) WOFFORD- They have upgraded talent over the last 3 years and this year they have 4 with 1 I believe will be drafted over the next two years.
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST- There are 3 prospects at this point.
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON- There are 5 with 2 I would draft.
8) TOWSON- There are 8 getting looks with 2-3 possible draft picks over the next 3 years.
9) STONY BROOK- They have 3 good ones.
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN- They have 3 strong prospects.

Here are some teams with a lot of NFL prospects who aren't in his top 10

Stephen F. Austin- 6
App State- 6
Chattanooga- 5
Southern Utah- 5
Richmond- 5
ODU- 5
Liberty- 5
Illinois State- 5

Keep an eye on those teams.

Now, let me say that there will be guys who emerge as prospects this year so don't take this as me saying those with less than 5 have no shot but this does show the teams who have the most high level talent in FCS entering the season.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't know if this was covered but if so here it is again.

These went to print yesterday. PS will have them in 7-9 days and they will begin shipping orders immediately and they will go out priority mail.

mgbison
August 8th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Daniel eaves getting nfl looks, c'mon. He was a solid player for us, but nfl prospect? He didn't even play most of last year due to injury. Veldman is in a nfl camp because of his potential, not because of being a great college football player.

If Steele had us at 20 last year, wow. Looks like Montana got the lucky spot this year. Finally, jmu at number two. I stopped taking this poll seriously with that pick.

jmufan999
August 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Phil Steele just sent out an email to the media and SIDs with the preseason All-America and top 40 teams. They should start leaking out here soon.

His top 40:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST
2) JAMES MADISON
3) MONTANA ST
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST
5) WOFFORD
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON
8) TOWSON
9) STONY BROOK
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN
11) NEW HAMPSHIRE
12) DELAWARE
13) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
14) NORTHERN ARI ZONA
15) NORTHERN IOWA
16) APPALACHIAN ST
17) EASTERN KENTUCKY
18) LEHIGH
19) OLD DOMINION
20) MONTANA
21) ILLINOIS ST
22) SOUTH CAROLINA ST
23) HARVARD
24) JACKSONVILLE ST
25) ALABAMA ST
26) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
27) MCNEESE ST
28) GRAMBLING ST
29) CHATTANOOGA
30) MAINE
31) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
32) MURRAY ST
33) INDIANA ST
34) WILLIAM & MARY
35) PENN
36) NORFOLK ST
37) DUQUESNE
38) UT MARTIN
39) LIBERTY
40) HOLY CROSS

1. I stand by my previous statements about predictions. Who knows what will happen this year? No one.

2. That said, this is the most talented JMU team I've seen since the 2008 team with Landers. I'm not going to defend why I think this here because I think this will turn into a separate thread. I'll defend my reasoning at that point. I'm sure people will rip his ranking, which is fine.

cpalum
August 8th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Cant wait to get mine ...... NAU? at 14? Phil c'mon?

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Daniel eaves getting nfl looks, c'mon. He was a solid player for us, but nfl prospect? He didn't even play most of last year due to injury. Veldman is in a nfl camp because of his potential, not because of being a great college football player.

If Steele had us at 20 last year, wow. Looks like Montana got the lucky spot this year. Finally, jmu at number two. I stopped taking this poll seriously with that pick.

Eaves was a legit prospect before he got hurt. I remember seeing him look good on tape against Kansas as a junior but yes his senior year was derailed by injuries. I could have also included Warren Holloway as one getting looks. Ojuri is another name I didn't even mention and yes you need to credit Veldman more than you are. He was a good blocker who combined with your OL helped paved the way for two 1,000 yard rushers and kept Jensen on his feet. He really came on as a senior after injuries and poor blocking as a junior. NDSU had a lot of big boys with pro potential on that team along with a very good senior class. Look at every NC team over the last 5 years and they had a very good senior class. If NDSU could get 5-6 seniors step up and be all-league caliber they have the depth to really go deep.

As for JMU there is a buzz that their QB is looking great and I know their schedule goes in their favor. I thought it was high as well but I have them in my top 10. I have JMU #6 with NDSU #5. I think NDSU goes 10-1 or 9-2 and wins at least two playoff games. I think 2013 they should be preseason #1 if they end up about where I have them this year, or better.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cant wait to get mine ...... NAU? at 14? Phil c'mon?

At first I said the same thing mainly because NAU needs to show they can win. I have NAU #21 with only SUU, MSU and EWU ahead of them from the Big Sky. They do have some talent with a decent QB, the best RB in the Big Sky, and a few other quality players. One player to watch from NAU will be the JC LB Ficklin. He's explosive and fast. He was also productive in JC. If he makes an impact they could have a solid defense.

JmuSkinsfan
August 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Remember, Steele does his pre-season polls based on how he believes teams will finish the season. I think JMU in the 5-10 range is very fair and right where they should be, but barring any major injuries, I think this JMU team is as talented as the 2008 team and could run the table after WVU like that team did going 10-1.

JMU was pretty unstoppable last year with Thorpe at QB and the defense will only be better than what was already dominant. All of our (3 to 4) STUD RBs are back and our OL should be improved as well. If Thorpe can stay healthy, I think this team makes a run in the playoffs.

FWIW, JMU held pretty well against NDSU last year in the Fargodome. I know we got some respect from NdSU fans there.

mgbison
August 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I'm more concerned about getting through the conference than playing nonconference teams come playoff time. If we end up 9-2 or 10-1, we'll be at home and I don't see any of the option teams beating us at home.

We do have the advantage of playing Colorado state this year. Its a game we should probably win. While most fcs teams play a lot tougher fbs teams.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Remember, Steele does his pre-season polls based on how he believes teams will finish the season. I think JMU in the 5-10 range is very fair and right where they should be, but barring any major injuries, I think this JMU team is as talented as the 2008 team and could run the table after WVU like that team did going 10-1.

JMU was pretty unstoppable last year with Thorpe at QB and the defense will only be better than what was already dominant. All of our (3 to 4) STUD RBs are back and our OL should be improved as well. If Thorpe can stay healthy, I think this team makes a run in the playoffs.

FWIW, JMU held pretty well against NDSU last year in the Fargodome. I know we got some respect from NdSU fans there.

Yes you did and I think the EKU vs. JMU playoff game last year was a matchup of two teams who will be improved for sure in 2012!

mgbison
August 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I think jmu has a solid squad and they could do some good/great things next year. I think having them ranked #2 is a bit high. It all depends which team(s) can get through their conferences and get the 1 or 2 seed.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm more concerned about getting through the conference than playing nonconference teams come playoff time. If we end up 9-2 or 10-1, we'll be at home and I don't see any of the option teams beating us at home.

We do have the advantage of playing Colorado state this year. Its a game we should probably win. While most fcs teams play a lot tougher fbs teams.

I certainly see NDSU as a 9-2 and one big reason I don't think they lose to YSU is the fact that you have them at home in a revenge game.

NDSU needs to remember that it is very tough to repeat and if I were you guys I would not want to be #1 or even #2 right now. Let me say though that I have noticed a sense of entitlement by NDSU fans like App State had. You guys need to look at these rankings and not care if you are #1. App State felt entitled from their fans to the players and even their coaches the last few years and look at how they have dropped off. They have nobody leftover from their NC run now and their staff is 90% different from that last NC, too. You guys need to go out and stay hungry. Combined with how tough it is to repeat and the fact that entitlement can take over along with the unlikeihood of winning the turnover battles like you did last year I don't have NDSU in my top 4. I think NDSU will slip up in a game they should not lose and will fall in the semis or quarterfinals but become hungry again and be top 2 or 3 in 2013.

I look at App State right now and so many of their players, coaches, and fans are glad to be getting snubbed by rankings right now. I would not be surprised if you see a very hungry ASU squad in 2012 after the Phil Steele, coaches, and media polls picking them much lower than normal. Because of all of this I have bumped ASU up to #6 in my rankings and believe they will be very good if their OL comes together well.

I have noticed with GSU how they got cocky and things fell apart for them for a few years and now look at them coming back. Every champion gets dethroned and to be honest the only times any team has been able to overcome it and last at the top for several years are App, GSU, YSU, and Marshall. That's 4 teams in over 30 years. And of those it's been pretty much proven there was some NCAA violations going on with YSU at the time and Marshall did it taking a lot of D1 transfers. So basically only GSU and App did it with non transfers and no asterisk on their titles. Not trying to start anything but just showing how hard it is. I wish everyone well and to be honest I hope NDSU goes far but I would love to see an underdog like JMU, Stony Brook, etc. get hot and go deep this year that hasn't been picked to be in the top 3.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2012, 02:33 PM
SFA at 13 is fine with me.

NHwildEcat
August 8th, 2012, 02:52 PM
#11 @ #40 to kick off the season...how has ESPN not picked this up yet?

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM
We get FBS SMU, then #3 Montana State, then FBS Texas State, then 31 UCA, then 1 Sam all in a row..

CID1990
August 8th, 2012, 03:14 PM

His top 40:

29) CHATTANOOGA

This list takes into account not only talent

That can't be right. Chattanooga is the most talented team in the universe. They even have their own Mini Me Tebow.

bisonboone11
August 8th, 2012, 03:29 PM

His top 40:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST
2) JAMES MADISON
3) MONTANA ST
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST
5) WOFFORD
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON
8) TOWSON
9) STONY BROOK
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN
11) NEW HAMPSHIRE
12) DELAWARE
13) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
14) NORTHERN ARI ZONA
15) NORTHERN IOWA
16) APPALACHIAN ST
17) EASTERN KENTUCKY
18) LEHIGH
19) OLD DOMINION
20) MONTANA
21) ILLINOIS ST
22) SOUTH CAROLINA ST
23) HARVARD
24) JACKSONVILLE ST
25) ALABAMA ST
26) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
27) MCNEESE ST
28) GRAMBLING ST
29) CHATTANOOGA
30) MAINE
31) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
32) MURRAY ST
33) INDIANA ST
34) WILLIAM & MARY
35) PENN
36) NORFOLK ST
37) DUQUESNE
38) UT MARTIN
39) LIBERTY
40) HOLY CROSS

This list takes into account not only talent but strength of schedule as some teams that would likely win a head-to-head contest are listed below others because
they have a tougher schedule and will have a weaker record. For updated FCS Power Ratings check out PhilSteele.com during the football season.
I hope the NDSU players see this. I want them to feel like they have something to prove to everyone so they don't get complacent and they stay hungry.

344Johnson
August 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I hope the NDSU players see this. I want them to feel like they have something to prove to everyone so they don't get complacent, and they stay hungry.

Goodness, some folks worry too much about the polls. I hope our players in Fargo are not fretting about something so insignificant.

ValleyChamp
August 8th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I hope the NDSU players see this. I want them to feel like they have something to prove to everyone so they don't get complacent and they stay hungry.

LOL, yeah it is so disrespectful to be ranked ALL the way down at #6, give me a break. If NDSU players need that to motivate themselves they got something wrong with them.

Sammy94
August 8th, 2012, 03:41 PM
then FBS Texas State

This made me chuckle.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM

6 is not that low. This stuff should not be what makes players hungry. And to be honest I don't even think a team should truly be motivated by this unless they are ranked #15 or #20 or unranked at all. To me if you are a talented team like Maine or Indiana State I would think they get heavily motivated. I think both of them should be ranked and they aren't. Maine would be a NC contender if the two safeties and 1 of the QBs returned from last year.

smallcollegefbfan
August 8th, 2012, 03:47 PM
This made me chuckle.

Yeah because about 45 FCS teams are better than Texas State right now.

TheRevSFA
August 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
This made me chuckle.

Yeah I couldn't keep a straight face typing it either.

fatmonarch
August 8th, 2012, 07:57 PM
If odu finishes 19th or worse, I'll go on a diet.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Georgia Southern at #10....interesting to say the least!

JMU might be alittle high but they are good.....saw that first hand in the FD last year.

NDSU #6.....good

seantaylor
August 9th, 2012, 12:01 AM
GSU didn't fall apart because we got cocky. We fell apart because we had a borderline retard as an AD who hired two awful coaches.

I-16Bandit
August 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Georgia Southern at #10....interesting to say the least!

He had NDSU at #20 last year.

darell1976
August 9th, 2012, 08:35 AM
No Cal Poly??? I don't put too much stock in this poll.

jmufan999
August 19th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I really only came here to find out when this sucker will ship. I'm buying this mag more time and depending on price (and other factors), I'll determine what if I want to do this again next year. But since I'm here...

You don't think that's possible? It's not like you were in the semis last year or anything. You lost in the Round of 16 AND you lost the reigning CAA Defensive Player of the Year on a defense that (I personally believe) wasn't that good anyway. I mean, you gave up 55 points in your last outing and just lost BY FAR your best defensive player. I do think ODU makes the playoffs but finishing 19th-ish wouldn't be absurd. I personally guarantee you don't make the semis, feel free to make me eat crow if I'm wrong.

I won't be.

JMU might be alittle high but they are good.....saw that first hand in the FD last year.

We can play better than we did in Fargo. Don't get me wrong, NDSU was unquestionably the better team. On that day or any day.

I want to see JMU play with our starting QB for 11 of 11 games, not 6 of 11 games. If Thorpe starts 11 of 11 games, we win no fewer than 8 games this year. If we go 8-3, we get a home game in the Round of 16. 9-2, we're probably seeded. I don't think 9 wins is insane if we avoid injuries and suspensions.

401ks
August 19th, 2012, 10:46 PM

Here's to a new, slimmer you in 2013!

xbeerchugx

xthumbsupx

jmufan999
August 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Anyone received their magazine yet?

NHwildEcat
August 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Anyone received their magazine yet?

I was just thinking the same thing...I have not received it yet.

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2012, 11:52 AM
I just talked to someone in the office. Mags were suppose to arrive there yesterday but came in this morning. They will begin shipping ASAP!

I'm excited!!

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
I just talked to someone in the office. Mags were suppose to arrive there yesterday but came in this morning. They will begin shipping ASAP!

I'm excited!!

Great job Phil! You dropped the ball on this one.....

Gringer1
August 22nd, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds more like the publisher dropped the ball. Phil can't help if the print company was late.

cpalum
August 22nd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Sounds more like the publisher dropped the ball. Phil can't help if the print company was late.

No Phil dropped the ball as well. He said that the magazines would be shipped in early August when orders were taken. That was too late to begin with for a "preview magazine" and then a few weeks ago he adjusted his ship date to late August....Notice that they "were supposed to arrive yesterday". Yesterday was the 21st of August, 9 days from the start of the season. If we assume that they will take 3 days to reach the folks who ordered them, they will arrive about 6 days before kick-off.....that sucks.

I really appreciate what Phil does and I have been a consistent supporter of his Mag but this mumbo jumbo along with the "buy it or I'll cancel" bologna on his site is getting real old. I may reconsider next year.

TheRevSFA
August 22nd, 2012, 01:19 PM

I'm excited!!

Wow..I get a magazine less than a week before kickoff. Not much of a "preseason" preview

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Great job Phil! You dropped the ball on this one.....

I don't think he dropped the ball. They sent it in and had to wait for the publisher. Last year he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on labor, publishing, distributor, research, and energy to produce an FCS only magazine because so many of us wanted it so bad. Then it comes and sales are so bad, despite the fact Phil has the best name in the business and has improved his content on FCS every year as he has gotten his feet wet, that he decided late this year to even do a print mag (purely out of the love of his heart), and then decides to get rid of regional mags so he can spend more time on FCS. He held on to this longer to get more accurate information and is even so up to date that he has Marquis Jackson at Portland State in his magazine, despite all the other previews coming out so early they have him at Texas Southern. I'm just glad he did it. Folks need to buy this one big time so Phil doesn't lose money again because while he may do this for 1 or 2 years out of love he will not do this again next year if he loses over 100k on it again.

I'm not blaming all of us FCS fans but just saying that sales last year were bad and made him waver on it, then he did something different getting rid of all regionals and devoting his entire office on FCS. My suggestion is to buy this thing and then when you do send feedback that you would like for him to have it out faster next year and thank him for doing it. It's funny how people demand so much but yet give so little in return. Let's support this because let's face it, while I don't love the abbreviations and writing style at times, nobody can and will do a better job of research, time, and statistical analysis than the hand full of people he has doing it. I am appreciative to them for doing it and hope that AGS and the rest of FCS gets behind this.

Although, it's hard to imagine that a FCS mag will ever make money and so my guess is that next year he will do a PDF and sell it for $5 or so and not do a hard copy anymore.

Anyone see Jeff Monken's tweet about FBS the other day? FCS just won't ever get the attention and love from media or anything when a moretorium is lifted and 4-5 teams bolt every time. Right now JMU, Delaware, GSU, Montana, App St, Liberty, ODU, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, etc. are all either saying they want to move up or are moving up and coaches coming out expressing this ideal to move up so I don't really expect fan bases to go support this as much as most of us on here believe they should because most schools want out.

I'm not trying to start anything here but simply saying with the lack of support of FCS the fact that there is even a hard copy preview of FCS only is amazing and we should be glad he is willing to do it. I agree about the timing but you can't blame much of that on Phil. If he didn't give a crap he would have put a piece of crap out two months ago and done a lazy job. At least he has gone out and put the time and effort that it deserves! Let's give that time and effort the support it deserves! Push it on your school message boards and flood Phil with emails thanking him for the preview and asking about how to get it out earlier!

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2012, 02:50 PM
No Phil dropped the ball as well. He said that the magazines would be shipped in early August when orders were taken. That was too late to begin with for a "preview magazine" and then a few weeks ago he adjusted his ship date to late August....Notice that they "were supposed to arrive yesterday". Yesterday was the 21st of August, 9 days from the start of the season. If we assume that they will take 3 days to reach the folks who ordered them, they will arrive about 6 days before kick-off.....that sucks.

I really appreciate what Phil does and I have been a consistent supporter of his Mag but this mumbo jumbo along with the "buy it or I'll cancel" bologna on his site is getting real old. I may reconsider next year.

I get what you are saying but there are things that happened that are out of his control that made him back it up. The buy it or I'll have to cancel making it is just how the world works. Do you think he should make a FCS preview if he loses 200k on it every year? I don't want anyone to do that. He is doing something nobody has really ever done by putting a ton of money and time in it and trying to push a hard copy FCS preview. To be honest with a lot of the attitudes from hardcore FCS fans like us I don't see others even buying it and I don't think you have to worry at all about him doing a hard copy next year. My prediction is either a PDF or nothing at all for next year. I hope I'm wrong though.

cpalum
August 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
I get what you are saying but there are things that happened that are out of his control that made him back it up. The buy it or I'll have to cancel making it is just how the world works. Do you think he should make a FCS preview if he loses 200k on it every year? I don't want anyone to do that. He is doing something nobody has really ever done by putting a ton of money and time in it and trying to push a hard copy FCS preview. To be honest with a lot of the attitudes from hardcore FCS fans like us I don't see others even buying it and I don't think you have to worry at all about him doing a hard copy next year. My prediction is either a PDF or nothing at all for next year. I hope I'm wrong though.

As I said, I appreciate what he does and I have encouraged folks to buy the mag and have always bought it myself. I understand the business realities.

As far as his "order it or I wont do it" I find that obnoxious; it may be true but it is bad business....

smallcollegefbfan
August 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
As I said, I appreciate what he does and I have encouraged folks to buy the mag and have always bought it myself. I understand the business realities.

As far as his "order it or I wont do it" I find that obnoxious; it may be true but it is bad business....

I agree with that. I know how it comes off. If you talk to him in person it wouldn't come off the same tone. The bottom line is though that more FCS fans need to order it. If not the he can't justify doing it and won't be able to afford it either. He doesn't want to get rich off it but he can't financially afford to lose 200k on it each year. If there aren't enough hardcore FCS fans to make it worth while why should he spend the time and money knowing he is just going to lose his butt ever year? I'm on both sides. Because both of you are right!

BisonBohl
October 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Through 6 weeks how do you think Mr. Steele has done so far ?

Phil Steele's top 40:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST
2) JAMES MADISON
3) MONTANA ST
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST
5) WOFFORD
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON
8) TOWSON
9) STONY BROOK
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN
11) NEW HAMPSHIRE
12) DELAWARE
13) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
14) NORTHERN ARI ZONA
15) NORTHERN IOWA
16) APPALACHIAN ST
17) EASTERN KENTUCKY
18) LEHIGH
19) OLD DOMINION
20) MONTANA
21) ILLINOIS ST
22) SOUTH CAROLINA ST
23) HARVARD
24) JACKSONVILLE ST
25) ALABAMA ST
26) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
27) MCNEESE ST
28) GRAMBLING ST
29) CHATTANOOGA
30) MAINE
31) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
32) MURRAY ST
33) INDIANA ST
34) WILLIAM & MARY
35) PENN
36) NORFOLK ST
37) DUQUESNE
38) UT MARTIN
39) LIBERTY

cpalum
October 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Through 6 weeks how do you think Mr. Steele has done so far ?

Phil Steele's top 40:

1) SAM HOUSTON ST
2) JAMES MADISON
3) MONTANA ST
4) YOUNGSTOWN ST
5) WOFFORD
6) NORTH DAKOTA ST
7) EASTERN WASHINGTON
8) TOWSON
9) STONY BROOK
10) GEORGIA SOUTHERN
11) NEW HAMPSHIRE
12) DELAWARE
13) STEPHEN F. AUSTIN
14) NORTHERN ARI ZONA
15) NORTHERN IOWA
16) APPALACHIAN ST
17) EASTERN KENTUCKY
18) LEHIGH
19) OLD DOMINION
20) MONTANA
21) ILLINOIS ST
22) SOUTH CAROLINA ST
23) HARVARD
24) JACKSONVILLE ST
25) ALABAMA ST
26) SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
27) MCNEESE ST
28) GRAMBLING ST
29) CHATTANOOGA
30) MAINE
31) CENTRAL ARKANSAS
32) MURRAY ST
33) INDIANA ST
34) WILLIAM & MARY
35) PENN
36) NORFOLK ST
37) DUQUESNE
38) UT MARTIN
39) LIBERTY

Pretty good with the very notable exception of Cal Poly who he thought would suck this year......wrong

BisonBohl
October 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Biggest errors is ODU way to low. No Cal Poly at all.

Too much love for :

DELAWARE & STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

BisonBohl
October 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Biggest errors is ODU way to low. No Cal Poly at all.

Too much love for :

DELAWARE & STEPHEN F. AUSTIN

SpeedkingATL
October 10th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Still looks pretty good considering it was a preseason poll. He has the 3 highest ranked SoCon teams pretty close to where they are but did miss on Samford. By seasons end he may be even closer (or way off). NDSU sure looks like the dominate team in FCS so far so having them at 6th looks a little low.

RichH2
October 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
For preseason, a pretty good list. Cal Poly only oops.