PDA

View Full Version : AppStateCentral.com - Please Stop By and Give Feedback!

asumike83
August 2nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
For all the Appalachian fans and anyone else who is interested, I am launching a new ASU website with a friend of mine today and would love to get feedback from the AGS community. Unfortunately, I cannot take any credit for the excellent layout of the site but Bryden has really done some incredible work. I will be writing content for the site on a regular basis, co-hosting the Podcast and I've also listed several of the other features below.

Link: App State Central (http://www.appstatecentral.com)

Current features:
Blogs - everyone who signs up can have their own blog. Only select individuals get theirs posted to the home page but anyone can have a free blog hosted by appstatecentral.com and if you produce enough good material, you can certainly get your posts on the main page.

Forum/Message Board - Very user-friendly layout and another place to talk ASU.

Polls - We will have regular polls posted on the site that any member can vote on and discuss

Video Library - Currently consists of over 60 videos which users can rate from 1-5 stars. More will continued to be added as the come along.

Wallpapers - Four free desktop wallpapers with the 2012 schedule which can be downloaded from the site.

News Feeds - Instead of competing with the other great sites out there, we have set up feeds from AppStateNation, AppFan, MMB and GoASU so that while visiting our website, you can see what all the other Appalachian fans are talking about and direct traffic to them accordingly.

Upcoming features:
Podcast - This feature should be coming very soon. Currently, we are working to get some guests signed up for the show and the plan is to eventually have a weekly Podcast where we can take questions live via Facebook, Twitter or chat. Very excited about this, we are hoping to have a very big guest on to kick off the show!

Photo gallery - A feature is in the works that will allow members to upload their own photos to the site for other fans to see, hopefully up and ready for tailgate season!

Any other requests - We are always open to suggestions and Bryden is a web developer by trade, so if you have any suggestions for what could be added to enhance the site, chances are he can make it happen.

Check it out and let me know what you think!

ASUG8
August 2nd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Nice layout, maybe a bit more black and gold in the layout to make it look more team specific. Otherwise, looks great and hope you get plenty of traffic!

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Wow. I appreciate the effort that went into that! Lets make this one work! You are the epitome of try try again, I love it. Thank you.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 09:24 AM
I agree with ASUG8, more black and gold.

Maybe you could incorporate a black and gold Tweetsie into the site, you know, a Steam Car, to go along with the "Central" theme.

SpeedkingATL
August 2nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Pretty sweet!

T-Dog
August 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
This is like the 5th different App fan site to open in the last year.

My advice? Each site is like an individual Power Ranger. Alone they have one strength which is all right for a while. But together they form a Megazord, which IIRC, was undefeated in battle.

So basically, we could have a ultimate App fan site with constant news and multiple view points and multiple strengths.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
This is like the 5th different App fan site to open in the last year.

My advice? Each site is like an individual Power Ranger. Alone they have one strength which is all right for a while. But together they form a Megazord, which IIRC, was undefeated in battle.

So basically, we could have a ultimate App fan site with constant news and multiple view points and multiple strengths.

Appstatecentral is that site. There are even feeds to the other blogs. It offers the message board of MMB (with a modern layout), the blogging ability of Appfan and things offered nowhere else (POD casts, video library, freebies ect). I really think this could become the new nucleus for ASU on the internet.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 09:51 AM
I really think this could become the new nucleus for ASU on the internet.

If we post on it. Get on it.

Now we can filter out those annoying fans without a program!

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
If we post on it. Get on it.

You made a handle yet?

asumike83
August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Really appreciate all the feedback guys! A little more black and gold is always a good thing. Personally, I am a fan of a black background and gold text but it is too bright for some. We will definitely tweak it to see what we can to do keep the clean look while incorporating some more black and gold into the color scheme. I agree, that would give it a more distinct Appalachian flavor.

CID1990
August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
I give it 3 hots.

Seriously, looks good.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
You made a handle yet?

As they'd say in Suthrn Jawja, "I done posted twaice!"

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Really appreciate all the feedback guys! A little more black and gold is always a good thing. Personally, I am a fan of a black background and gold text but it is too bright for some. We will definitely tweak it to see what we can to do keep the clean look while incorporating some more black and gold into the color scheme. I agree, that would give it a more distinct Appalachian flavor.

Bryden has done a phenomenal job laying that thing out.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
As they'd say in Suthrn Jawja, "I done posted twaice!"

We are destined for success then

AppIAA
August 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
Wow, thanks for the kind words! I am the developer of the site (Bryden). It has been quite some time since I have posted here, but thanks for all the advice!

I will take them all to heart and work on it. I am currently working on a way to get it more black and gold without hurting the overall look of it.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I got a question, Why isnt the AppCentral site wide screen for me like all the other sites, I've got like 4 inches of white on either side of the actual "stuff."

AppIAA
August 2nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
It's a fixed width design. I am actually looking into changing it up while adding more black and gold!

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
It's a fixed width design. I am actually looking into changing it up while adding more black and gold!

Great! Thanks. I think that would make the forum better too, you'd then be able to read more posts on the screen if they were wider as opposed to taller, I like that.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Biggest challenge: How do we get the old faithfuls on MMB to make the switch?

AppIAA
August 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM

I think the only way this happens is if we just keep adding new content, podcasts, freebies, etc. until they finally realize the MMB is nearly impossible to use.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 10:41 AM

There are a handful of those "old faithfuls" I hope dont make the switch. Theres a reason so many of us are searching for an alternative.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
There are a handful of those "old faithfuls" I hope dont make the switch. Theres a reason so many of us are searching for an alternative.

You said it, not me. ggregg can stay on the prehistoric site. That guy has a vendetta against me for some reason.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
You said it, not me. ggregg can stay on the prehistoric site. That guy has a vendetta against me for some reason.

LOL! I agree, that guys a blood hound too. If you dont share his opinions or leanings, he'll dog your footsteps forever. Then challenge you to a duel in a food lion parking lot.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM
LOL! I agree, that guys a blood hound too. If you dont share his opinions or leanings, he'll dog your footsteps forever. Then challenge you to a duel in a food lion parking lot.

He did indeed tell me he'd be happy to meet up with me to fight in the same post where he called me immature.

T-Dog
August 2nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Once you wade through all the BBQ discussion and the lunatic fringe, it's still the go-to message board for ASU as you have a core base of posters.

Thing is with any new fan site run by one person is that they usually post for a while, then gradually slow down and the site dies a slow death. App Fan is an exception but I feel like he plays to the lunatic fringe and his non-football coverage is lacking.

I say forget the message board, assemble a diverse team to cover ASU with specific beats and go from there. Once it gets off it's training wheels and develops a following, then other forms of social media can follow. Right now the ASU fansite market is over-saturated with a lot of supply but a lack of demand.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 10:58 AM
He did indeed tell me he'd be happy to meet up with me to fight in the same post where he called me immature.

Yes. The seriousness with which those guys take themselves is astounding. Their viewpoint is THE only viewpoint. Or maybe more accurately, the only RIGHT viewpoint.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 11:02 AM
TDog,

I disagree. The Rivals board is full of good posters, that specifically bailed on the MMB. The success of these boards is going to be based on the number of people that get off their duff, and post. Some of these boards get great traffic, but only 2 or 3 consistant posters. Get that # up to around 10 before the "new smell" wears off, and you'll get that traffic coming back regularly, and it will slowly start to grow.

T-Dog
August 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Rivals is limited due to the pay aspect of it and being part of a larger conglomerate. Brian does good work there, but it's got a ceiling. More and more college fan sites have 100% free content and make their money off website ad revenue.

GlassOnion
August 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Rivals is limited due to the pay aspect of it and being part of a larger conglomerate. Brian does good work there, but it's got a ceiling. More and more college fan sites have 100% free content and make their money off website ad revenue.

True, the ceiling exists, but it does weed out alot of the doo slingers, and there are alot of posters that are serious and knowledgeable App fans, that dont want everything they post spread far and wide over the net. Well worth $7 or $8 a month IMO.

Oh, and the recruiting season and signing day war room, those are very nice.

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
From one guy who mods/runs a site to another..it looks great!

I should have made a thread about SFA's site..but only SLC people would care on that.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Once you wade through all the BBQ discussion and the lunatic fringe, it's still the go-to message board for ASU as you have a core base of posters.

Thing is with any new fan site run by one person is that they usually post for a while, then gradually slow down and the site dies a slow death. App Fan is an exception but I feel like he plays to the lunatic fringe and his non-football coverage is lacking.

I say forget the message board, assemble a diverse team to cover ASU with specific beats and go from there. Once it gets off it's training wheels and develops a following, then other forms of social media can follow. Right now the ASU fansite market is over-saturated with a lot of supply but a lack of demand.

I think Appfan IS dying a slow death. When I started posting there 2-3 years ago, there were several regulars (you guys are among them). Now there are only a handful of reputable regulars and endless BS from that lunatic fringe and UNCC trolls. The articles are more and more scarce these days as well.

Appstatecentral offers a one-stop-shop for people. I think that's it's edge in the increasingly saturated ASU blogosphere

AppIAA
August 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM

I think thats the beauty of AppStateCentral.com -- not only do we allow any app fan to write their own blog posts (more content!) but we also have a dedicated team of three of us currently (with offers for more). Also, we have links and posts to all the other sites -- its more of like a central hub for all things App.

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Can I write a blog for the site? You know offering the "other" view point.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM

A peanut gallery section might not be a bad idea, actually. It would provide some comic relief. Chattown can post about how UTC is BCS caliber and BR54 can talk about UNCC being 5 years from the SEC and one of the most prestigious Universities in the nation...

ASUMountaineer
August 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM

The Birdcage?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Birdcage_imp.jpg/215px-Birdcage_imp.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/000/761/739/RackMultipart.9835.0_crop_340x234.gif?1259094377

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
A peanut gallery section might not be a bad idea, actually. It would provide some comic relief. Chattown can post about how UTC is BCS caliber and BR54 can talk about UNCC being 5 years from the SEC and one of the most prestigious Universities in the nation...

I don't want to write about UTC. I want to write about APP in this blog.

cbarrier90
August 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM
I think Appfan IS dying a slow death. When I started posting there 2-3 years ago, there were several regulars (you guys are among them). Now there are only a handful of reputable regulars and endless BS from that lunatic fringe and UNCC trolls. The articles are more and more scarce these days as well.

Appfan is dying a slow death because its blog format means discussion is difficult to follow and the sheer anonymity of the commenting format makes it easily troll-able. I could easily go on there right now under the name "Chattownmocs" and completely bash everything about the institution and no one would have any idea it was me.

I do agree people need to chill out with the site creation. To my knowledge, Auburn only has two or three message boards and they're much bigger than ASU, obviously.

cbarrier90
August 2nd, 2012, 12:27 PM

Your first post should answer this question: What drives your obsession with the ASU program?

chattownmocs
August 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Your first post should answer this question: What drives your obsession with the ASU program?

Don't really care too much about it to be honest.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Appfan is dying a slow death because its blog format means discussion is difficult to follow and the sheer anonymity of the commenting format makes it easily troll-able. I could easily go on there right now under the name "Chattownmocs" and completely bash everything about the institution and no one would have any idea it was me.

I do agree people need to chill out with the site creation. To my knowledge, Auburn only has two or three message boards and they're much bigger than ASU, obviously.

There's really only 4: Appfan, AppStateNation, MMB and now Appstate Central unless you count rivals and multi-school forums. There are enough App fans to keep all 4 busy IMO

asumike83
August 2nd, 2012, 12:59 PM

I love the message board layout and hope that we can maintain a good, active dialogue but the main goal will be to provide Appalachian coverage through the Podcast and original articles. I plan to do a lot of writing on the site, and not just about football. You are right on though, the idea is to provide as much coverage with original content as possible and have that drive traffic and eventually increase participation on the message board.

asumike83
August 2nd, 2012, 01:02 PM

Since it is an Appalachian site, our coverage will primarily be from the ASU side but I honestly like the idea. One thing it brings to mind is having a fan of the current week's opponent do a write-up previewing the game from their side. If you think you'd be interested in doing that before the App/UTC game, let me know. I certainly don't expect you to show no bias at all but as long as it's kept respectful, I think it's a cool idea.

Apphole
August 2nd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Since it is an Appalachian site, our coverage will primarily be from the ASU side but I honestly like the idea. One thing it brings to mind is having a fan of the current week's opponent do a write-up previewing the game from their side. If you think you'd be interested in doing that before the App/UTC game, let me know. I certainly don't expect you to show no bias at all but as long as it's kept respectful, I think it's a cool idea.

Talk about locker room material.

AppIAA
August 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM

Great idea! I love it!

TheRevSFA
August 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
I could write a blog of knock knock jokes

asumike83
August 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
I could write a blog of knock knock jokes

Sign on up! xbowx

ASUMountaineer
August 3rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
Sign on up! xbowx

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!