PDA

View Full Version : Is this stupid or is it just me???

NFLCB2
July 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Is it stupid for players in 1-AA to downplay the competition in conference because they are not playing at Rutgers, Ohio st . etc Did any of you ever go thru this with teammates. Also let them think that it is impossible to make it to the pros

walliver
July 3rd, 2006, 12:45 PM
Is it stupid for players in 1-AA to downplay the competition in conference because they are not playing at Rutgers, Ohio st . etc Did any of you ever go thru this with teammates. Also let them think that it is impossible to make it to the pros

I think it's stupid to want to play at Rutgers.

NFLCB2
July 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM
I like playing at 1-AA you are in control of your own destiny Ive always like to play with the underdogs i like to be david and slay Goliath

JaxSinfonian
July 3rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
What's stupid is letting a few panels of "experts" and some computers decide the two teams that should play for the national championship. The title game is essentially a marketing decision in I-A.

A championship tournament is the only sensible way to go. In NCAA football, that makes I-AA the highest level of championship play.

Players can downplay the opposition as small time all they want. They still have to beat them if they want to win a title.

jmuroller
July 3rd, 2006, 03:16 PM

Why would you downplay a conference foe? You play them every year. And for the pros..the odds are against you. Tell them to get a degree and go from there.

EKU05
July 3rd, 2006, 06:50 PM
1AA is great, and we are very comprable to leagues like the SBC, and even the MAC. But I don't think anyone who had the talent to play at Ohio State, Notre Dame, Auburn or another a big-time I-A school would turn that down to play I-AA. I'm just trying to be realistic.

I-AA is what it is. It's great football, and you certainly can play I-AA and make it to the pros, but as someone said...the odds are against you. There are seven rounds of the NFL draft, and the total I-AA picks usual total about half a round. That's pretty good all things considered (and it probably should be more than that), but it's not where you'd put your money.

And by the way, Rutgers is a program on the rise. I think they can be a decent team this year (I should mention that the Big East is my favorite I-A conference though).

Also, while I agree that a playoff system is better, there are some convincing arguments that the Bowl System does some good (the BCS could use some tweeking for sure). My cousin (a smart guy that graduated from Purdue with a double major in 2 years) wrote an essay on it...I'll link it because even though I disagree it is pretty compelling.

http://bowldebate.ryanrenn.com/

Having said all of that...even my cousin would agree that a playoff system is probably better at any other level...financially speaking.

NFLCB2
July 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM
Why would you downplay a conference foe? You play them every year. And for the pros..the odds are against you. Tell them to get a degree and go from there.

By downplay i mean thinking just because they are playin 1-AA they have no chance at anything. Also i dont like how they know every stat about 1-A but know nothing about 1-AA i asked who preseason number one and they cant name it I said you should be more pay more attention they what are other counterparts are putting up

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2006, 08:53 PM
Agree on Rutgers. This will be a good year for them. They had some great recruits and a couple very good transfers, such as QB Dominick Natale from Michigan State.

eaglesrthe1
July 3rd, 2006, 09:03 PM
By downplay i mean thinking just because they are playin 1-AA they have no chance at anything.

If you know of a player that thinks that because he is playing at a I-AA school that he has no chance at the next level, then he has no chance at the next level. It's not because of where he's playing at however, it's just because he thinks he has no chance.

The odds are long to start with, but if you think you can't cut it from the get go, than you are setting yourself up for failure.

douglasdmb
July 3rd, 2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah, the whole "little chance of getting drafted out of I-AA" argument doesn't work. For every guy that gets drafted out of I-AA, there are probably 6 or 7 guys that get signed and at least get chance in the preseason.

EKU05
July 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the whole "little chance of getting drafted out of I-AA" argument doesn't work. For every guy that gets drafted out of I-AA, there are probably 6 or 7 guys that get signed and at least get chance in the preseason.

Yes, but the same is true of 1A players in larger numbers. At the end of the day there are a pretty decent amount of 1AA players in the NFL, but still way more 1A players. It's just reality. It doesn't mean 1AA players shouldn't work toward that goal at all, but it does mean that many less will succeed across the board.

eaglesrthe1
July 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Yes, but the same is true of 1A players in larger numbers. At the end of the day there are a pretty decent amount of 1AA players in the NFL, but still way more 1A players. It's just reality. It doesn't mean 1AA players shouldn't work toward that goal at all, but it does mean that many less will succeed across the board.

No doubt about it. It just stands to reason that since the overall talent level is higher in IA, then more will move to the next level. But if an individual has what it takes to move on, then he will surely shine in the IAA ranks, and be noticed. IOW, if you've got it, then you've got it, and IAA will not banish a gifted athlete to obscurity.