PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Dismisses Starting LB/DE John Rizor from the Team

asumike83
July 31st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rizor would have been a third year starter at the Bandit position. Big loss for our defense, meaning more young players will have to step up. Rizor was a redshirt Senior so sadly, his ASU career is over.

QB Kalik Barnes will also be out of action in 2012. Both are due to undisclosed violation of team rules. Barnes was at best third on the depth chart so not a big loss on the field. Still, very disappointing news this close to camp.

AppAlum2003
July 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Sadly, I was expecting a few more of these before the season started... Are other programs dealing with the same thing? Seems like ASU is constantly having to dismiss someone from the team due to a "undisclosed violation of team rules".

The Eagle's Cliff
July 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM
It's always tough and you have to feel for those kids whose poor decisions have affected their lives so negatively, but I respect schools that enforce appropriate discipline even when it hurts the team.

Appaholic
July 31st, 2012, 02:09 PM
It seems to be a more common phenomenon at App over the past few seasons. Or did I just not pay attention in the past?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 31st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I agree with EC as it's easy to make poor decisions when your young but you have to pay the price.

ASUG8
July 31st, 2012, 02:20 PM
It seems to be a more common phenomenon at App over the past few seasons. Or did I just not pay attention in the past?

I think you're absolutely right. Once we started getting a little chip on our shoulders these indiscretions crept up and can't be swept under the rug (nor should they be). Coaching needs to send a message to these guys.

Go Apps
July 31st, 2012, 02:29 PM
Here we go again - things are starting not to look so good after all - very disappointing the tally is up to 4 so far...I am sure there will be more to come - there have been high expectations this year and I have been cautious - I think our road to the playoffs will be very difficult - we might be out of the race by week 4 all together - get to 3-1 and things could be looking up

asumike83
July 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM
Sadly, I was expecting a few more of these before the season started... Are other programs dealing with the same thing? Seems like ASU is constantly having to dismiss someone from the team due to a "undisclosed violation of team rules".

I hope this is all we'll see of this type of news but unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath. We have had more than our share of this recently, hopefully this will send a message to the rest of the boys.

Keep an eye on Tashion Singleton to see playing time as a true freshman. Had a great prep career here in Charlotte and has apparently been a beast in the weight room this summer. He's added almost 20 lbs of muscle and is now almost a mirror image of Rizor physically at 6-3, 250. If he can pick up the mental aspects and adjust to the speed of the college game, he could help to absorbed some of the impact at the Bandit spot.

mountaineer in Cane Land
July 31st, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm really surprised by Rizor getting kicked off the team. In the 4 years he has been in the program, we have not heard of one major or minor problem with him. I also heard several interviews with Rizor, he came across as an intelligent, well spoken indivional. I guess all it takes it one moment of stupidity and your out the door.

CID1990
July 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear about Rizor. We have similar problems with our honor code thinning the athletic flock from time to time. It makes for some interesting debates on our home board from time to time.

GlassOnion
July 31st, 2012, 05:33 PM
You can bet Tashion Singleton wont have these kind of issues. That guys a standup individual for sure.

UNH Fanboi
July 31st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Are other programs dealing with the same thing?

JMU loses a few every summer, but they generally wait for a felony conviction to throw them off the team.

Apphole
July 31st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Are other programs dealing with the same thing?

Apparently
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111520-Griz-QB-Charged-With-Rape

Unfortunately, this sort of thing stems from success. It happens when athletes are put on a pedestal. I'm glad we're cracking down before it gets to the level UM s dealing with now or god forbid the 90's U of Miami .

AppMan
August 1st, 2012, 08:04 AM
Apps will put an outstanding defesnse on the field in 2012, but with Rizor, Tanyi and Wray it would have been incredible. Hope this sends a strong message to the rest of the team.

asumike83
August 1st, 2012, 08:24 AM
Apps will put an outstanding defesnse on the field in 2012, but with Rizor, Tanyi and Wray it would have been incredible. Hope this sends a strong message to the rest of the team.

It is a damn shame. Those are three all-conference (and two potential All-American) caliber guys that could have made this defense really special. Still expect a very strong defense but this unit had the talent to rival the '05-'06 versions with a full compliment of players. Dominique McDuffie is another talented kid that could have strengthened the secondary if he kept his head on straight.

SpeedkingATL
August 1st, 2012, 09:57 AM
I think last year things kind of spun out of control internally which resulted in the coaching staff changes and hopefully a new attitude internally. The coaches have to take total control and get the kids to buy in to what they are doing, which was likely not the case last year. I think the dismissal of Rizor certainly sends a message about what is to be expected going forward so there are no "surprises". Better now than 3 weeks into the season. I do hope Rizor at least continues his studies and graduates.

GtFllsGriz
August 1st, 2012, 11:49 AM
I think last year things kind of spun out of control internally which resulted in the coaching staff changes and hopefully a new attitude internally. The coaches have to take total control and get the kids to buy in to what they are doing, which was likely not the case last year. I think the dismissal of Rizor certainly sends a message about what is to be expected going forward so there are no "surprises". Better now than 3 weeks into the season. I do hope Rizor at least continues his studies and graduates.

Sounds very similar to what is going on in Missoula. I will not address guilt or innocence of any player...not mine to judge. But we have a group of very good young men that are going to strap on the helmet this fall and we'll play the game with the kids that we have and want to work hard and do things the right way. Win or lose the game with App I will be proud of them. Fortunatly we will be able to prepare for the game with the QBs we have on the team. Prepare, plan and execute. The results will take care of themselves.

PaladinFan
August 1st, 2012, 11:57 AM
Apparently
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111520-Griz-QB-Charged-With-Rape

Unfortunately, this sort of thing stems from success. It happens when athletes are put on a pedestal. I'm glad we're cracking down before it gets to the level UM s dealing with now or god forbid the 90's U of Miami .

Huh? This happens when young adults act like morons. Every school gets their day in the sun, but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with being a successful program.

Apphole
August 1st, 2012, 12:20 PM
Huh? This happens when young adults act like morons. Every school gets their day in the sun, but it certainly doesn't have anything to do with being a successful program.

There is a strong correlation. Not saying it's a direct cause, but when athletes are turned into deitys, they tend to regard themselves as above the law.

cbarrier90
August 1st, 2012, 01:17 PM

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but it just seems like ever since Michigan, the three championships, and the expansion of KBS, the players have a sense of entitlement that just because they have Appalachian State on the front of their chests, victories are certain. Many newer Appalachian fans unfamiliar with average ASU teams of the past feel the same way. One can argue this attitude is the reason ASU has come out shockingly flat in the playoffs the past couple of years.

Instead of hard-working, blue collar walk-ons like Kevin Richardson and Scott Suttle, we hear about guys like McDuffie and Rizor who had all the talent to be special but made stupid decisions. I would have thought the roller-coaster of last season sent enough of a message, but unfortunately, it doesn't appear so.

PhoenixSupreme
August 1st, 2012, 02:53 PM
It definitely sucks for the defense to lose a 3rd-year starter a month before the season kicks off. Most people could make the argument that this would hurt App St's defense because of the inexperience that now has to fill the void, but I think it could actually help, because I would rather have an inexperienced player that can grow on the job playing than a veteran starter that can potentially bring the whole team down with his off-the-field distractions. You definitely gotta give props to Jerry Moore and Co. for recognizing this, and that keeping the integrity of the team intact is more important than being a potential FCS championship contender (which App still will be regardless to be honest).

Saint3333
August 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM
This team is even younger now, they'll be fine by November but they'll need to grow up faster if we want to make the playoffs.

AshevilleApp2
August 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
From the Watauga Democrat

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/News/story/ASU-linebacker-charged-with-assault-id-008575

T-Dog
August 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
If anyone thinks this is just a recent phenomenon post-3Peat, then that's quite the selective memory.

Any school that has a football team with scholarship players deals with a sense of entitlement and privilege.