PDA

View Full Version : MVFC "TV" deal with ESPN (5 games)

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/369135/

ESPN3

Here is the complete five-game schedule:

--Sept. 29: Indiana State at Southern Illinois, 6 p.m.

--Oct. 6: Youngstown State at North Dakota State, 1 p.m.

--Oct. 13: Youngstown State at Illinois State, 1 p.m.

--Oct. 27: South Dakota at Indiana State, 1 p.m.

--Nov. 10, Northern Iowa at South Dakota, noon.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:09 AM
Turrible

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Turrible

Does Fargo's Cableone offer ESPN3??

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:47 AM

When I last worked there they did not.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 09:50 AM

Nope, this caused a Category 5 ****storm over the playoffs last year, until ESPN offered the games on Game Plan.

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Nope, this caused a Category 5 ****storm over the playoffs last year, until ESPN offered the games on Game Plan.

Then I am sure people would rather watch it on KVLY than trying to find it on the internet unless the bars or Midcontinent (Mhd, WF, Dilworth) has it?

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 10:04 AM
Then I am sure people would rather watch it on KVLY than trying to find it on the internet unless the bars or Midcontinent (Mhd, WF, Dilworth) has it?

Midco has it. Bars in fargo would be incapable of procuring it.. legally. I helped a few out last year.

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 10:08 AM
Midco has it. Bars in fargo would be incapable of procuring it.. legally. I helped a few out last year.

I wish there was someway Fargo would allow Midco to break the Cableone monopoly or else ESPN3 is a total joke.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM
I wish there was someway Fargo would allow Midco to break the Cableone monopoly or else ESPN3 is a total joke.

It comes down to who owns the infrastructure, the content receiver antennas (big dishes aimed at ESPN, Viacom, etc. satillites) and the distribution lines in the city to customers.

If the city owns it all, I don't see why they can't shop the service provider contract around to anyone.

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 10:27 AM
It comes down to who owns the infrastructure, the content receiver antennas (big dishes aimed at ESPN, Viacom, etc. satillites) and the distribution lines in the city to customers.

If the city owns it all, I don't see why they can't shop the service provider contract around to anyone.

It just makes no sense that Midco is available outside of the FM metro and inside the FM metro...minus the F part. I guess they feel Fargo has a choice, Cableone, Dish Network, Directv, or internet.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM

Midco is the only one holding midco out of Fargo.

The city owns the underground infastructure and leased it to cableone (Cablecomm or w/e it was called before cableone acquired them) for a really long period of time.

Midco would have to finance the entire underground infastructure and put it all in. I have heard midco plans on doing this once they have completely finished Moorhead and West Fargo, which was slated for late '12 as of '10.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 10:44 AM
It just makes no sense that Midco is available outside of the FM metro and inside the FM metro...minus the F part. I guess they feel Fargo has a choice, Cableone, Dish Network, Directv, or internet.

It makes sense because if each city owns its own distribution lines. West Fargo owns its lines, Moorhead owns its lines, Fargo owns its lines. Each city has a contract with a service provider to provide content on those lines. WF and Moorhead contracted with MidCo.

Whoever does the contract for Fargo probably went to school with the guy from CableOne. That's how these things work.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 10:45 AM
It makes sense because if each city owns its own distribution lines. West Fargo owns its lines, Moorhead owns its lines, Fargo owns its lines. Each city has a contract with a service provider to provide content on those lines. WF and Moorhead contracted with MidCo.

Whoever does the contract for Fargo probably went to school with the guy from CableOne. That's how these things work.

I'm pretty sure this is a holdover from the Cablecom days. That was local before CableOne bought them out.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 10:46 AM

The city owns the underground infastructure and leased it to cableone (Cablecomm or w/e it was called before cableone acquired them) for a really long period of time.

Midco would have to finance the entire underground infastructure and put it all in. I have heard midco plans on doing this once they have completely finished Moorhead and West Fargo, which was slated for late '12 as of '10.

It's too bad that wireless distribution (within a city type range) isn't ready to go. That would eliminate the need for distribution lines.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 10:55 AM
You mean like an 802.22 router? :p

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2011/07/80222coverage-thumb-550xauto-67757.jpg

Theoretical coverage area of an 802.22 router. 62 miles. 12000 sq miles.

In theory, that means as few as 307 devices could cover the entire United States. (In reality, it would likely take many more than that.)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/07/new-wireless-specs-for-white-space-up-to-22mbps-over-12000-square-miles/

Honestly I see very few scenario's where Cable providers don't become solely an ISP in the near future.

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 11:00 AM

So maybe next year there could be talk about Midco moving in on Cableone's territory. Maybe they can do part of Fargo (may I suggest North Fargo first!!).

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
So maybe next year there could be talk about Midco moving in on Cableone's territory. Maybe they can do part of Fargo (may I suggest North Fargo first!!).

They will probably put in nodes wherever is the most cost effective intially. I have no idea where that would be. I also heard that information in 2010, it may have changed since then.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 11:11 AM
You mean like an 802.22 router? :p

http://dvice.com/assets_c/2011/07/80222coverage-thumb-550xauto-67757.jpg

Theoretical coverage area of an 802.22 router. 62 miles. 12000 sq miles.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2011/07/new-wireless-specs-for-white-space-up-to-22mbps-over-12000-square-miles/

Honestly I see very few scenario's where Cable providers don't become solely an ISP in the near future.

Not without being allowed to tier service pricing based on data usage, being able to give priority to data from "friendly networks" etc.

Basically they want to build in ways to guarantee the same amount of revenue they get now from TV & internet before they'll agree to switch it over to just internet. They're not just going to stand by and let half their revenue go "chunk" down the drain, just because technology has progress.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 11:13 AM
They will probably put in nodes wherever is the most cost effective intially. I have no idea where that would be. I also heard that information in 2010, it may have changed since then.

Fiber must be super cheap to install now vs copper. Otherwise, I can't believe another service provider would be willing to invest in entirely duplicating an existing distribution network, simply to go over the head of an existing city-provider contract.