PDA

View Full Version : Western Ill. to the Great West?

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Several points:

- I hate to say "never" but from what I've read online, it appears Western will never get into the MVC like they dream about. They're going to be in the Mid Con for a while.

- If the Great West can get an established I-AA team to join the conference in 2008, it can be considered for an autobid in 2010.

- The Great West is the 2nd strong GPI conference in the nation. They deserve an autobid over the MEAC and the OVC.

- The I-AA playoffs could be expanded to 24 with 12 autobids (the 8 current plus one each for: GWFC, Big South, Ivy League, and SWAC).

UAalum72
July 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM
- The I-AA playoffs could be expanded to 24 with 12 autobids (the 8 current plus one each for: GWFC, Big South, Ivy League, and SWAC).
The Big South is not eligible for an auto bid until it gets a sixth team, the Ivy doesn't want to participate, and the SWAC prefers its championsnip bowl game.

But I'm sure the Northeast Conference would take a bid.:hurray:

EKU05
July 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
As I understand it the SWAC is going to reconsider that position at their meetings this year...and very many are in favor of making a concentrated move towards more playoff participation (currently any SWAC team not in the title game can techinically go to the playoffs).

The Ivy league won't be interested. They've been pretty dead-set against the idea for a long time.

The Big South, I'm sure, would welcome that with open arms. Otherwise bids will be few and far between for them.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I swear I've read (maybe even here) that the Ivys are going to look at the playoffs again.

There's no reason they shouldn't be in the playoffs.

roadwarrior
July 2nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
I dont see any reason for Western Illinois to move football to the Great West, despite any future connection with Mid-Con members.

swaghook
July 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
If the conference was closer it might be a possiblity but they would be the eastern most member and would really make the conference widespread. And it is already spread out.:eek:

EKU05
July 2nd, 2006, 07:46 PM
I agree. The great west is a fine up-start league, but WIU already has a home in one of the best conferences in I-AA. It would be less than a latteral move.

Perhaps the Ivies will reconsider. I know that there are many who want them too, but I think it's the Presidents of the schools that are against it. Now, they don't give athletic scholarships do they? Or, am I making that up? Still, they are usually good enough to have a team at least close to (and often in) the top 25. They certainly would deserve one before the Big South.

douglasdmb
July 2nd, 2006, 08:53 PM
No, they technically don't give athletic scholarships. I hear that they do give a little extra in "academic" scholarships, though.

July 2nd, 2006, 09:15 PM
... Perhaps the Ivies will reconsider. I know that there are many who want them too, but I think it's the Presidents of the schools that are against it. Now, they don't give athletic scholarships do they?...Not scholarships, need-based grants and aid is given to football players...like the PL does it.

ngineer
July 2nd, 2006, 09:20 PM
If the conference was closer it might be a possiblity but they would be the eastern most member and would really make the conference widespread. And it is already spread out.:eek:

Agreed there. In fact, if they make the move, they should consider a name change for the conference, 'cause WIU certainly aint in the west.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
How would going to the 2nd most powerful conference in terms of GPI (A10 is 1st) be a lateral move?

Did you consider the point about Youngstown and Western KY leaving?

If they leave the Gateway is nothing more than SIU (unless ISU becomes a powerhouse).

swaghook
July 2nd, 2006, 09:54 PM
I'm not quite sure how the special circumstances need to be met to get an auto-bid early if a team like WIU joined the GWFC. So wouldn't it also work to have an established DI school that adds football (or scholarships in case of non scholly football) work as well? There are some DI schools that are farther west that are talking about adding football.

EKU05
July 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I'd be willing to be Youngstown isn't going anywhere...WKU might but it isn't a done deal. The hold up there seems to be the MAC. The Sun Belt is an option there, but by the attitude of their administration I don't even think they see that as a step up (it isn't in terms of computer rankings). YSU would have gone 1A a long time ago, but the only conference that would make any sense for them is the MAC. The MAC's current Ohio members have basically frozen them out.

By the way, this link says that the GWFC was 5th last year in the GPI...the Gateway was first. I really think most of the GWFC members view that conference as a stopover on the way to something more stable. Northern Colorado sure got out in a hurry (and who can blame them, they are a great fit in the Big Sky).

http://www.i-aa.org/articles/artfiles/75205_1detail.txt

swaghook
July 2nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
The GWFC definitely started out as little more then a scheduling alliance. But now with the anouncement of UND and possibly others moving up out west and NDSU and SDSU most likely getting an invite to the Mid-Con, the GWFC has a good future ahead.

Golden Eagle
July 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM

If they leave the Gateway is nothing more than SIU (unless ISU becomes a powerhouse).

... and Northern Iowa....

PantherMan
July 2nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
How would going to the 2nd most powerful conference in terms of GPI (A10 is 1st) be a lateral move?

...and UNI and MSU (Terry Allen anyone?):thumbsup:

89rabbit
July 2nd, 2006, 11:19 PM
Agreed there. In fact, if they make the move, they should consider a name change for the conference, 'cause WIU certainly aint in the west.

One might guess that the only way that WIU is coming over is if the GWFC becomes part of the Mid-Con outright and thus the name change is part of the deal.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
... and Northern Iowa....

Forgive me.

Of course UNI deserves to be mentioned.

The rest of the Gateway is average.

The GPI in 2004 had the A10 in 1st and the GWFC in 2nd.

My point is that it wouldn't be a lateral or lowering move if YSU and WKU left.

Plus, if the GWFC becomes Mid Con football, as was mentioned, there would be more pressure.

And I doubt Davis and Poly view the Great West as a stepping stone. They have no other options.

CollegeSportsInfo
July 3rd, 2006, 10:39 AM
I dont see any reason for Western Illinois to move football to the Great West, despite any future connection with Mid-Con members.

Exactly (this whole thread seems quite familiar). If the Mid-Con and GWFC were to bring thing even closer to themselves through a full merger of sponsorship name, then perhaps W.Ill. might be asked to move. Unless that happened, forget it.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Quinn, even if YSU and WKU leave?

Even if the GWFC is ranked higher in the GPI than the Gateway?

WYOBISONMAN
July 3rd, 2006, 10:57 AM
No way would WIU look at the Great West........can you say, "No Autobid"............

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 10:59 AM
Nonsense.

I can't believe even NDSU fans would dismiss this.

Nope, I won't buy that.

I think they will at least look at it. Maybe they won't do it. But if YSU and WKU leave with SIU not too far behind, I think they move over to the GWFC.

Can you say autobid in 2010?

JBB
July 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Then maybe in 2010 it might happen. But until then, if all things remain the same, dream on.

The auto bid would be a lot easier to get if the GWFC continues to get an at large bid every year. At some point the other conferences wouldnt care because we would be getting a bid anyway and really, when they approved the GWFC they knew they were giving up a bid at some point.

July 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
When was the last time WIU got an autobid?

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
Indeed!

WIU might view moving over to the GWFC as an oppertunity to win that conference and get the autobid.

leatherneck177
July 3rd, 2006, 03:32 PM
This talk is pretty ridiculous right now. Western Illinois is a football school, always has been. They take pride in being in one of the top 3 football conferences in the country annually. People that say the conference is average besides SIU, WKU, UNI, YSU and WIU is ridiculous. Do you realize that they are only eight teams in the conference and that leaves only Missouri St, Indiana St, and Illinois State as "average".

If anyone moves conferences, WIU will NOT be the moving. It would be teams out of the Great West possibly moving in to another conference. I believe that WIU has accepted the fact that it will never have "one" conference to be a member of, as have the Missouri Valley Schools that compete in multiple conferences for football and basketball.

I respect the Great West as a promising conference, but that is all it is for now. That move is not even close to lateral, it is quite a step back at this point. I am not going to get into NDSU or SDSU beating other teams or hanging in there against tough teams, I am just saying that week in and week out the Gateway is head and shoulders above the Great West.

I'm sure there will be some shuffling with WIU, but I see them either welcoming schools into the Mid-Con or finding another conference for basketball.

SO ILLmatic
July 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
I respect the fact that the Great West is a up & coming conference( NDSU gave us a hard-fought game in Carbondale last year). But I agree that WIU will be staying in the Gateway, even if the Mid-Con & GWFC decide on a partnership. In addition, dont expect SIU to follow WKU or YSU's suit if they decide to leave. We have too much on our plates (funding for new stadium, keeping the program at the current state, winning playoff games, etc...) to even comtemplate the move to D-IA.

The teams in the Midwest are too spread out compared to the teams in the major areas of D-IAA football (South,Northeast, Southwest). For the future of WIU & the Gateway, I could see teams from the OVC joining and making up two divisions with the current teams. This would give the conference a Midwest feel, and allow teams, like Samford, to go to a southern conference they actually want to be in.

lucchesicourt
July 3rd, 2006, 05:19 PM
The GWFC is JUST a promising conference?! I think you got it wrong. It is far more than that. First. there are currently 5 teams in the GWFC and in the preseason polls we have 3 of them in the top 20. That is 60%, any other conference got better? Second ,only Poly and NDSU have the full alotted schollies. UCD beat Stanford with only 27-35 (someplace between these numbers) schollies. In 2 years UCD should be closer to the 63. NDSU has beaten many established D1AA teams and received top 20 ranking, and Cal Poly made the playoffs and won their first playoff game, moving to a top 8 spot. Anyone who sees the teams in this conference as just promising, is way out there! IMHO

swaghook
July 3rd, 2006, 05:38 PM
I agree the GWFC is a great conference. But the issue at hand in this thread is whether WIU would move to the GWFC and I don't see that happening. Like I said the GWFC has a large foot print but it doesn't extend that far east. I'm still wondering about my earlier question could an established IA school that adds football or a non scholly school that adds schollies acomplish the same thing for the GWFC if they joined?

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
And lets not forget that in 2004 (when Poly was a playoff team except that BS east coast bias got Lehigh AND Lafayette both in) the GWFC was the 2nd rated GPI conference.

I could see the GWFC being number 2 again this year behind the A10 once again.

THAT is NOT a lateral move! :mad:

And like I said but everyone keeps ignoring, WIU could be enticed by the fact that it actually has a chance to win the autobid in the Great West.

It'll never beat out UNI, SIU, WKU, and YSU in the same year. MAYBE if YSU, WKU, and SIU leave.

And by the way, I think all three SIU, WKU, and YSU are natural fits for the MAC.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
I agree the GWFC is a great conference. But the issue at hand in this thread is whether WIU would move to the GWFC and I don't see that happening. Like I said the GWFC has a large foot print but it doesn't extend that far east. I'm still wondering about my earlier question could an established IA school that adds football or a non scholly school that adds schollies acomplish the same thing for the GWFC if they joined?

I *think* so.

IE, if we could add U San Diego by 2008. But not sure.

swaghook
July 3rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
There are also some TX schools and Wichita looking at adding football or restarting their programs they had dropped.

EKU05
July 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
I respect the fact that the Great West is a up & coming conference( NDSU gave us a hard-fought game in Carbondale last year). But I agree that WIU will be staying in the Gateway, even if the Mid-Con & GWFC decide on a partnership. In addition, dont expect SIU to follow WKU or YSU's suit if they decide to leave. We have too much on our plates (funding for new stadium, keeping the program at the current state, winning playoff games, etc...) to even comtemplate the move to D-IA.

The teams in the Midwest are too spread out compared to the teams in the major areas of D-IAA football (South,Northeast, Southwest). For the future of WIU & the Gateway, I could see teams from the OVC joining and making up two divisions with the current teams. This would give the conference a Midwest feel, and allow teams, like Samford, to go to a southern conference they actually want to be in.

Are you joking? If football were the only sport in existance that might be a remote possibility, but the OVC, unlike the Gateway, is a full fledged conference that has a lot more to think about. There is no doubt that the Gateway is a better football league...I'm not saying that at all. I suppose the OVC could cease to sponsor football to allow a move like that, but right now the OVC is putting a lot of focus on becoming a powerful football league again (so much so that it has many members upset, but these are the schools you wouldn't want in the Gateway anyway). We're really hoping for the addition of Chattanooga right now...that would really be a big boost for the OVC and it would be a nice even 12 members which is ideal for basketball (and would be decent for football as well if Morehead State ever decides to come back).

It's not that the idea of a football merger couldn't ever work...it's just that the OVC wouldn't let it, and most of the OVC is too basketball crazy to overrule the league. EKU would be interested in a better football league. JSU would too, but they may not fit geographically. EIU could potentially go for a return to the Gateway and SEMO would probably consider it. The other 7 OVC members would be pretty dead-set against it. The 4 that might consider it wouldn't want to jeopardize their overall relationship with the conference either (other than MAYBE EIU).

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Forget about Wichita. They want I-A.

Arlington or Lamar would be nice, but I doubt they'll get going by 2008.

swaghook
July 3rd, 2006, 06:37 PM
Who knows they may end up I-AA(if they add football at all that is).

RabidRabbit
July 3rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
:cool: I know that WIU joining the GWFC is a long-shot, but.....:rotateh:

Actually, UNI, Youngstown, WKU, ISU, SIU and the strength of the Gateway could be the stick to join a potentially "softer" (though ranking isn't showing it) conference. Especially if all your other sports are against those "softer" teams. Why consistently be in the lower half of a conference when be against a bunch of newbies? Plus may have the mid-con pressure to join with the other mid-cons for football too. 2 years when know the likely pecking order in the Gateway, and not looking good? Gee, maybe the GWFC is the place to be. :eek: :eek:

:hurray: All I'll say, is that I look forward to many battles with the Leathernecks in many sports over the next decade. :hurray:

SO ILLmatic
July 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
I wasn't trying to disrespect the credibility of the GWFC, the teams' rankings and wins have already given them credibility in the short history of the conference.

However, I cant imagine the Leathernecks wanting to travel from Macomb to Cal Poly every two years. If push come to shove from the MidCon officials, I think Western IL would try to quit the conference, stay in the Gateway for football, and try the Horizon League for the other sports.

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2006, 08:58 PM
I don't see it that way.

I think the upside is too good in the Mid Con and the Great West.

Yes travel will be longer in football, so what? If the team is worth a darn they charter their own airplanes anyway. Once you're on an airplane then there really is no difference in going to Missouri State or Cal Poly.

RabidRabbit
July 3rd, 2006, 09:08 PM
I wasn't trying to disrespect the credibility of the GWFC, the teams' rankings and wins have already given them credibility in the short history of the conference.

However, I cant imagine the Leathernecks wanting to travel from Macomb to Cal Poly every two years. If push come to shove from the MidCon officials, I think Western IL would try to quit the conference, stay in the Gateway for football, and try the Horizon League for the other sports.

This scenario is very potentially likely. The point I was raising was a lil bit like EIU leaving the Gateway for the OVC. Why did they choose to leave when they were smack in the middle of the conference footprint? :rolleyes:

Perhaps WIU would have more success in the GWFC? Don't know! We'll start seeing in a season, when SDSU takes on WIU as OOC game.:thumbsup:

eaglesrthe1
July 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
And lets not forget that in 2004 (when Poly was a playoff team except that BS east coast bias got Lehigh AND Lafayette both in) the GWFC was the 2nd rated GPI conference.

And like I said but everyone keeps ignoring, WIU could be enticed by the fact that it actually has a chance to win the autobid in the Great West.

It'll never beat out UNI, SIU, WKU, and YSU in the same year. MAYBE if YSU, WKU, and SIU leave.

And by the way, I think all three SIU, WKU, and YSU are natural fits for

the MAC.

Jesus dude... you say that WIU doesn't have a chance to win the Gateway autobid because they aren't good enough, and should come to the Great West to improve their chances. And yet you are insulted by the proposition that some think that the Great West might be a step down.

Quit talking out of both sides of your mouth.

douglasdmb
July 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
Forget about Wichita. They want I-A.

Maybe so...but they'll have to build up to it, first...in I-AA

:nod:

July 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM
Perspective:

WIU GFC Champs:

COMPOSITE GATEWAY STANDINGS
*Western Kentucky 22-6
UNI 91-31
Western Illinois 75-47
*Youngstown State 29-23
*Eastern Illinois 34-30-1
Missouri State 55-66-1
Illinois State 47-73-2
Southern Illinois 43-79
*Indiana State 37-80
*Includes only years in which teams participated in the Gateway. Indiana State is a GFC member since 1986; Eastern Illinois was a member from 1985 through 1995; Youngstown State joined the Gateway for the start of the 1997 season; and Western Kentucky joined for the start of the 2001 season.

Win Streaks, Gateway vs. Gateway Schools
No. Winning Team (years of streak)
18 Western Illinois vs. Southern Illinois (1984-02)
11 UNI vs. Indiana State (1991-02)
9 Indiana State vs. Southern Illinois (1994-03)
9 Western Ky. vs. Indiana State (1996-present)
8 Youngstown State vs. Indiana State (1996-present)
8 Youngstown State vs. Missouri State (1996-04)
8 Southern Illinois vs. Illinois State (1976-83)
8 Western Illinois vs. Illinois State (1956-63)
8 Missouri State vs. Illinois State (1986-93)
8 Missouri State vs. Southern Illinois (1987-94)
8 UNI vs. Missouri State (1990-98)

leatherneck177
July 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Perspective:

WIU GFC Champs:

COMPOSITE GATEWAY STANDINGS
*Western Kentucky 22-6
UNI 91-31
Western Illinois 75-47
*Youngstown State 29-23
*Eastern Illinois 34-30-1
Missouri State 55-66-1
Illinois State 47-73-2
Southern Illinois 43-79
*Indiana State 37-80
*Includes only years in which teams participated in the Gateway. Indiana State is a GFC member since 1986; Eastern Illinois was a member from 1985 through 1995; Youngstown State joined the Gateway for the start of the 1997 season; and Western Kentucky joined for the start of the 2001 season.

Win Streaks, Gateway vs. Gateway Schools
No. Winning Team (years of streak)
18 Western Illinois vs. Southern Illinois (1984-02)
11 UNI vs. Indiana State (1991-02)
9 Indiana State vs. Southern Illinois (1994-03)
9 Western Ky. vs. Indiana State (1996-present)
8 Youngstown State vs. Indiana State (1996-present)
8 Youngstown State vs. Missouri State (1996-04)
8 Southern Illinois vs. Illinois State (1976-83)
8 Western Illinois vs. Illinois State (1956-63)
8 Missouri State vs. Illinois State (1986-93)
8 Missouri State vs. Southern Illinois (1987-94)
8 UNI vs. Missouri State (1990-98)

I was just getting ready to post some evidence that we are not "consistently" a doormat or at the bottom half of our conference. We have a strong tradition within the Gateway, true we have lost most of our battles against the TRUE power in the conference UNI, but UNI backers will admit that we have won our share of battles against them as well. Let me also point out that we have two bad years in a row, with records of 4-7 and 5-6.

My point in the previous post was that, no matter what happens to the Mid-Con, WIU will look to move into a football conference that has an auto bid and one that has a solid league history with programs geographically located in areas that make sense for travel.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Jesus dude... you say that WIU doesn't have a chance to win the Gateway autobid because they aren't good enough, and should come to the Great West to improve their chances. And yet you are insulted by the proposition that some think that the Great West might be a step down.

Quit talking out of both sides of your mouth.

I did no such thing.

The Gateway is top heavy. For that reason, WIU doesn't have a chance to win the autobid.

The GWFC is very balanced. For that reason, the GWFC is a higher rated conference than the GFC. But WIU has a better chance to win in the GWFC.

July 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
... The Gateway is top heavy. For that reason, WIU doesn't have a chance to win the autobid...You mean like they did three years ago? http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=37940

Only UNI has more conference wins than WIU.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
The past is the past.

They no longer have the oppertunity now with SIU doing so well and UNI almost winning it all. WKU and YSU having good years as well.

They'll be out recruited.

July 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
The past is the past.
They no longer have the oppertunity now with SIU doing so well and UNI almost winning it all. WKU and YSU having good years as well.
They'll be out recruited.????

Since:
2000: WIU autobid, YSU makes playoffs
2001: UNI autobid, WKU makes playoffs
2002: WIU autobid, WKU National Champs
2003: SIU autobid, WIU, UNI, WKU makes playoffs
2004: SIU autobid, WKU makes playoffs
2005: UNI autobid, SIU makes playoffs

SO of the recent playoff teams from the GFC, each has missed the playoffs too. Don't plan on WIU leaving the cozy GFC for a while.

SochorField
July 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I think the Great WEST Conference will first look to preserve its present teams, then to adding teams from the WEST..like San Diego, and perhaps UND, or someone else starting/restarting a program.

I agree the idea of WIU moving is off.

Chi Panther
July 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Doesn't UNI and WIU has the most fellers in the NFL for I-AA schools...currently????

WIU is not out recruited.....but I do agree that the former hawkeye coach has them slipping at the moment.....

July 4th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Doesn't UNI and WIU has the most fellers in the NFL for I-AA schools...currently????...2005 NFL Final Roster Players from Current I-AA Member Schools
I-AA.org

All NFL teams have at least two former I-AA student-athletes from current I-AA member schools. (Source NFL.com, 1/2/06)
Number (total players): 2,220
Number (former I-AA): 227 (10.23%) from 85 schools and all conferences

I-AA Conference Representation
34 - GFC
29 - A10
24 - SWAC
23 - MEAC
22 - BSC
19 - IVY
18 - OVC
17 - GWFC
16 - SLC
15 - SOCON
3 - BSOUTH
2 - NEC
2 - PFL
2 - PL
1 - MAAC

I-AA Participating School Representation (minimum of four players)
10 - Northern Iowa
9 - Western Illinois
6 - Montana
6 - North Carolina A&T
5 - Arkansas-Pine Bluff
5 - Northwestern State
5 - Western Carolina
5 - Western Kentucky
4 - Alcorn State
4 - Delaware
4 - Eastern Kentucky
4 - Grambling
4 - Hofstra
4 - Howard
4 - Northern Arizona
4 - Northern Colorado
4 - Pennsylvania
4 - Sacramento State
4 - South Carolina State
4 - South Dakota State
4 - Villanova
4 - William & Mary

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=75164

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I have a feeling someone you are going to hear from someone from Northern Iowa.
:D

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 05:21 PM
When was the last time WIU got an autobid?
In 2002, WKU won the National Title, but WIU won the autobid for the Gateway. WKU was an at-large.

July 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM
...the GWFC is a higher rated conference than the GFC...uh, the GWFC is two years old. The GFC is 20. Only one team in the GWFC has ever made the D-I playoffs, and that was their first time. The GWFC had a higher average GPI one year. Not exactly the time for GWFC members to get on a high horse.

July 4th, 2006, 05:26 PM
In 2002, WKU won the National Title, but WIU won the autobid for the Gateway. WKU was an at-large.Sorry I waited for a GFC person to supply the facts but I ended up posting them all myself (see post #42/47 etc. in this thread).

Mountain Panther
July 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
I have a feeling someone you are going to hear from someone from Northern Iowa.
:D

Yes, he clearly didn't think that one through. :nonono2: : smh : xidiotx

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM

And by the way, I think all three SIU, WKU, and YSU are natural fits for the MAC.
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif
The Dawgs will never leave the Gateway or Valley for the MAC. The MVC is better in basketball and there is no desire in Salukiland to go IA in order to join a mediocre BCS league.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Sorry I waited for a GFC person to supply the facts but I ended up posting them all myself (see post #42/47 etc. in this thread).
Sorry. Had not worked my way through the whole thread yet.

swaghook
July 4th, 2006, 05:58 PM
uh, the GWFC is two years old. The GFC is 20. Only one team in the GWFC has ever made the D-I playoffs, and that was their first time. The GWFC had a higher average GPI one year. Not exactly the time for GWFC members to get on a high horse.Don't let one misguided fan be the basis of judgement for all of the fans of the GWFC. He sometimes argues his ideas to a fault. Check out the thread on Bisonville where he argued that they could remove the four main support columns of the Fargodome to add seating.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM
http://www.freewebby.com/happy-smilies/24.gif
The Dawgs will never leave the Gateway or Valley for the MAC. The MVC is better in basketball and there is no desire in Salukiland to go IA in order to join a mediocre BCS league.

The MAC is better for football.

Also consider this: SIU could easily get the MAC autobid for basketball every year if they were in the MAC.

Can they get the MVC autobid every year? Not likely. Not with that competition.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Don't let one misguided fan be the basis of judgement for all of the fans of the GWFC. He sometimes argues his ideas to a fault. Check out the thread on Bisonville where he argued that they could remove the four main support columns of the Fargodome to add seating.

I wasn't wrong.

It is possible.

And I even went out of my way (far out of my way, in fact) to make sure that I pointed out that it may indeed be too expensive to do that.

I was just making the point that it would be possible.

Go...gate
July 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Why would WIU want to leave the Gateway? It is a good fit in so many ways, and they have a quality program which is competitive every year.

slostang
July 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
uh, the GWFC is two years old. The GFC is 20. Only one team in the GWFC has ever made the D-I playoffs, and that was their first time. The GWFC had a higher average GPI one year. Not exactly the time for GWFC members to get on a high horse.
I agree. The GWFC is in it's infancy and still has it's training wheels on (not all of it's teams are fully funded and three teams are still transitioning). Although it's is new and still growing, it is still a strong conference. The teams of the GWFC have not shied away from competition. In two years they have already played OOC games agaist I-AA teams like Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Weber State, Sacramento State, Portland State, Texas State, Northwestern State, Nichols State, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Southern, Southern, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, New Hampshire and Maine. This year you can add Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Mississippi Valley State and Northeastern. This year the five GWFC teams have scheduled six I-A games. As all the teams become fully funded and we add another team or two the GWFC has a chance to become one of the top I-AA conferences. We are not there yet, but we are headed in the right direction.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Also consider this: SIU could easily get the MAC autobid for basketball every year if they were in the MAC.

The MVC autobid for the Dance depends on who wins the conference tourney every year (SIU did last year). However their RPI was high enough to get at-large bids the previous 4 years. The RPI of the MAC is lower and would hurt their chances in the long run. The MVC had 4 teams in the Dance last year and the MAC, if my memory is correct, only had one. The autobid in the MAC would not be automatic as there are always one or two good teams in that league and it would hurt their at-large chances.
I have seen no evidence the Salukis have any desire to go to !A in football. The new stadium on the drawing board would not be large enough to qualify. The long range plans at SIU all seem to be geared to remaining in IAA.

swaghook
July 4th, 2006, 06:31 PM
I wasn't wrong.

It is possible.

Of course you would spend as much to do so as to build a new larger dome.

You argued that you could remove the main columns and make the beams they supported thicker and that would hold up the roof, yet without the columns the beams you pointed out had no support to sit on.

Just admit that you are not always right and all will be better don't act like a Sioux fan it's unbecoming of a Bison fan.: smh :

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 06:41 PM
The MVC autobid for the Dance depends on who wins the conference tourney every year (SIU did last year). However their RPI was high enough to get at-large bids the previous 4 years. The RPI of the MAC is lower and would hurt their chances in the long run. The MVC had 4 teams in the Dance last year and the MAC, if my memory is correct, only had one. The autobid in the MAC would not be automatic as there are always one or two good teams in that league and it would hurt their at-large chances.
I have seen no evidence the Salukis have any desire to go to !A in football. The new stadium on the drawing board would not be large enough to qualify. The long range plans at SIU all seem to be geared to remaining in IAA.

The one I saw was as big as NIU's stadium.

I don't agree with you that being in the MAC would hurt SIU's at large chances.

If they schedules good teams non conference and play them well, their RPI will be high enough.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Of course you would spend as much to do so as to build a new larger dome.

Of course you're just talking out of the air.

You don't have a clue about how much it would actually cost or how much it would cost to build a new dome.

You argued that you could remove the main columns and make the beams they supported thicker and that would hold up the roof, yet without the columns the beams you pointed out had no support to sit on.

If you read the thread I said that you could reinforce the walls.

blukeys
July 4th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I agree. The GWFC is in it's infancy and still has it's training wheels on (not all of it's teams are fully funded and three teams are still transitioning). Although it's is new and still growing, it is still a strong conference. The teams of the GWFC have not shied away from competition. In two years they have already played OOC games agaist I-AA teams like Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Weber State, Sacramento State, Portland State, Texas State, Northwestern State, Nichols State, McNeese State, Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Southern, Southern, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, New Hampshire and Maine. This year you can add Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Mississippi Valley State and Northeastern. This year the five GWFC teams have scheduled six I-A games. As all the teams become fully funded and we add another team or two the GWFC has a chance to become one of the top I-AA conferences. We are not there yet, but we are headed in the right direction.

I think everyone here recognizes that the GWFC is headed in the right Direction and you can add Delaware to the list of teams that the GWFC is scheduling although we don't play SDSU until 2010.

A move by WIU based solely on football doesn't make sense to me. I echo Go.. Gate's sentiments in this area.

If the move makes sense on the basis of an all sports conference, I still think the travel costs in an era of rising fuel costs make this a bad move.

Like others I don't understand MplsBison's reasoning.

How could WIU have a better chance of winning an autobid from what he says is the 2nd best GPI conference behind the A-10? (I wish I could have missed the 2005 season and I guess MplsBison really did!!!! The A-10 was not the best conference in 2005 in any GPI rating I saw) If the Gateway is inferior on the basis of the GPI, Wouldn't WIU have a better chance of winning an autobid from the Gateway???????

Chi Panther
July 4th, 2006, 07:23 PM
How could WIU have a better chance of winning an autobid from what he says is the 2nd best GPI conference behind the A-10? (I wish I could have missed the 2005 season and I guess MplsBison really did!!!! The A-10 was not the best conference in 2005 in any GPI rating I saw) If the Gateway is inferior on the basis of the GPI, Wouldn't WIU have a better chance of winning an autobid from the Gateway???????

Well said my friend.....:bow:

I still think MplsBison's logic on WIU's inability to recruit is comical.....

Also calling the GFC top heavy seems silly....and I understand that many schools from the GWFC are still transitioning to 63 schollies....but SDSU and UNC...the bottom teams IMO of the GWFC would struggle against all the lower teams in the GFC.......so the top heavy talk of the GFC doesn't hold water relative to the GWFC

blukeys
July 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Well said my friend.....:bow:

I still think MplsBison's logic on WIU's inability to recruit is comical.....

Also calling the GFC top heavy seems silly....and I understand that many schools from the GWFC are still transitioning to 63 schollies....but SDSU and UNC...the bottom teams IMO of the GWFC would struggle against all the lower teams in the GFC.......so the top heavy talk of the GFC doesn't hold water relative to the GWFC

Thanx Chi. From what I have seen there is plenty of talent to go around. Anyone with the scollies to give out should get a decent amount of talent. Especially, if you are close enough to Coffeyville JC and are able to evaluate their players!!!!!!!!!!!!xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod: xlolx :nod:

swaghook
July 4th, 2006, 08:53 PM
SDSU and UNC
Don't you mean SDSU and SUU? UNC is now a member of the Big Sky.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM
The one I saw was as big as NIU's stadium.

I don't agree with you that being in the MAC would hurt SIU's at large chances.

If they schedules good teams non conference and play them well, their RPI will be high enough.
We play about 18 games in conference. Going to a conference with a weaker RPI would definitely hurt our at-large chances.
The new stadium is only supposes to hold about 15000, definitely smaller than both NIU and old MacAndrew. SIU is not planning any move to the MAC or IA.

MplsBison
July 4th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Well that's your opinion but I think it could definately turn out different.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Well that's your opinion but I think it could definately turn out different.
Based on...................?

slostang
July 4th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I think everyone here recognizes that the GWFC is headed in the right Direction and you can add Delaware to the list of teams that the GWFC is scheduling although we don't play SDSU until 2010.

A move by WIU based solely on football doesn't make sense to me. I echo Go.. Gate's sentiments in this area.

If the move makes sense on the basis of an all sports conference, I still think the travel costs in an era of rising fuel costs make this a bad move.

Like others I don't understand MplsBison's reasoning.

I do not think that WIU will move to the GWFC or that they should. The Gateway is a great fit for them. I was just responding to Ralph post on the GWFC. I do not think that the GWFC was the 2nd best conference in either of the last two seasons, but if it continues the way it is it could be in a few years.

I think that UND when they move up (and USD if they move up) make more sense as a new member(s). San Diego if they ever add scholarships would be another team that would be a good fit for the GWFC.

skinny_uncle
July 4th, 2006, 10:42 PM
The GWFC is a good league that is developing. I just don't see WIU leaving the Gateway.

Chi Panther
July 4th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Don't you mean SDSU and SUU? UNC is now a member of the Big Sky.

Great point my friend.

I even live in Denver now....should have remember the conf change.....additionally......espn still doesn't know....
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams

PantherMan
July 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM

Were you drunk when you posted this? Do you follow college basketball at all?xidiotx

SO ILLmatic
July 5th, 2006, 07:09 AM
I mean let's put MVC basketball on one side of a scale and MAC basketball on the other. The strength of one conference in particular, would easily outweigh that of the other. And I'm sure everyone realizes what the stronger conference is.

I cant see any team that is in the both the Gateway and the Valley wanting to leave the conferences, based on current success of the conferences as a whole and the high-hopes each member has for the future.

nmatsen
July 5th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Not to mention the MAC a stronger football conference than the Gateway? Why don't you take a look at MAC vs Gateway schools the last ten years, then take into account that all of those games are on the road for the Gateway and tell me what you come up with.

MplsBison
July 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
NIU beat SIU.

WYOBISONMAN
July 5th, 2006, 09:10 AM
The GWFC is a good league that is developing. I just don't see WIU leaving the Gateway.

Amen.....now let's quit debating this silly issue........:deadhorse:

leatherneck177
July 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM
First of all, let's lay off WIU. I think everyone knows that we have had two bad seasons in a row, however I would not bet against WIU and their ability to recruit and maintain a program. True the emergence of WKU and SIU has hurt some recruiting efforts, but I think that schools like EKU, Missouri St, and some of the Ohio Valley Conference schools have been hurt by their emergence as well, not just WIU.

Second, SIU should've beaten NIU in that game. I was there and their TE dropped a two point conversion pass that would've won the game for them. I think everyone in the Gateway and the MAC would agree that our entire conference could slide into the middle or near the top of the MAC if we were to make the move this upcoming season.

BearsCountry
July 5th, 2006, 10:17 AM
WKU will be leaving soon, but look for Missouri State to do the same pretty soon as well. YSU and SIU are not going anywhere.

Now to WIU, the only way I see them playing in the Great West is if the Mid-Con forces the issue.

The Gateway is a tough league, no one team is going to dominate it for a long period of time. And even the low ranked Gateway teams would do well in alot of other conferences.

MplsBison
July 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
So now you have possibly 4 teams leaving the GFC.

WKU, YSU, SIU, and now MSU.

And you're telling me that coupled with that, pressure from the Mid Con, and the possibility of winning a GWFC autobid is not enough to send WIU over to the GWFC?!

Nonsense!

dbackjon
July 5th, 2006, 11:12 AM
WKU will be leaving soon, but look for Missouri State to do the same pretty soon as well. YSU and SIU are not going anywhere.

Now to WIU, the only way I see them playing in the Great West is if the Mid-Con forces the issue.

The Gateway is a tough league, no one team is going to dominate it for a long period of time. And even the low ranked Gateway teams would do well in alot of other conferences.

And where do you see MSU going?

CollegeSportsInfo
July 5th, 2006, 11:36 AM
There has been previous contact between the Sunbelt and Missouri St. But we'd have to lose MSU to I-A for that to happen.

Killtoppers90
July 5th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Bears must know something that I don't know. As of right now and for future reference, WKU is NOT going anywhere. The talk has been going on for 2 years now with nothing being done. WKU is improving the stadium because it needs it badly. So there are no plans that I know of to move.

dbackjon
July 5th, 2006, 11:55 AM
There has been previous contact between the Sunbelt and Missouri St. But we'd have to lose MSU to I-A for that to happen.

Why would MSU downgrade to the Sunbelt? And they have 13 members currently - which is too big already, IMHO.

Cap'n Cat
July 5th, 2006, 11:58 AM
MplsBison, respectfully: give it up. You're out of touch with the Gateway and with I-AA.

:)

RabidRabbit
July 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM
:hurray: Cap'n - WIU is getting picked on because they're a Mid-Con member. Tom Douple, Mid-Con & GWFC commissioner has indicated that he wants the interconnection between the football conference (GWFC) and the Mid-Con (rest of sports) to rival that of the Gateway/MoValley.

The GWFC members appreciate the tight geographic limits of the Gateway. :thumbsup: We'd love to see ONE EXISTING I-AA SCHOOL IN THE UPPER MIDWEST OR WEST to join us to accelerate our auto-bid eligibility.

WIU - Definitely looking forward to competing with you in all sports! Football, even as OOC games. :thumbsup:

BearsCountry
July 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM
So now you have possibly 4 teams leaving the GFC.

WKU, YSU, SIU, and now MSU.

And you're telling me that coupled with that, pressure from the Mid Con, and the possibility of winning a GWFC autobid is not enough to send WIU over to the GWFC?!

Nonsense!

YSU and SIU are not leaving. WKU and MSU might. Gateway is a better conference end of story.

BearsCountry
July 5th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Bears must know something that I don't know. As of right now and for future reference, WKU is NOT going anywhere. The talk has been going on for 2 years now with nothing being done. WKU is improving the stadium because it needs it badly. So there are no plans that I know of to move.

Actually I got it off your guy's board. But with your stadium construction and MAC adding Temple it made some sense.

Cap'n Cat
July 5th, 2006, 04:44 PM
:hurray: Cap'n - WIU is getting picked on because they're a Mid-Con member. Tom Douple, Mid-Con & GWFC commissioner has indicated that he wants the interconnection between the football conference (GWFC) and the Mid-Con (rest of sports) to rival that of the Gateway/MoValley.

The GWFC members appreciate the tight geographic limits of the Gateway. :thumbsup: We'd love to see ONE EXISTING I-AA SCHOOL IN THE UPPER MIDWEST OR WEST to join us to accelerate our auto-bid eligibility.

WIU - Definitely looking forward to competing with you in all sports! Football, even as OOC games. :thumbsup:

Understand. But, no matter what that conf suit says, Western Illinois is not going anywhere. It's all talk, like the WKU crap and the delusions of MAC grandeur wafting out of Youngstown.

The 'Necks starve, too, for attention in their nearby large media outlets, St. Louis and Chicago. Worst thing they could do is to go to some other far-flung conference in which every team seems to be trying to get into another, established conference. Virtually all their students come from Chicago 'burbs and rural IL, IA and MO.

Besides, anecdotally speaking, they are a plankholding, founding member of the Gateway. They have some tough rivalries with some Gateway teams - UNI being one of the biggest. The key to their continued success is making it happen here, not in SLO, Cedar City or Vermillion.

:twocents:

Who TF started this ridiculous thread anyway??

:mad: :mad: :mad: :p

nmatsen
July 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Would you consider getting the Gateway's auto bid into the play-offs 11 out of 21 season not dominating? Thats what UNI has done. In my eyes thats dominating.

Oh and to the NIU beating SIU comeback earlier, that game was at NIU the year the played in the MAC title game, also the year that SIU was ousted in the first round of the play-offs.

leatherneck177
July 5th, 2006, 06:09 PM
MplsBison, respectfully: give it up. You're out of touch with the Gateway and with I-AA.

:)

I agree as well. MsplsBison, you have not done your research on WIU or the rest of the history of the Gateway. This thread is ridiculous. I admire the speculation of WIU switching conferences, but in terms of moving their football program into another conference, that thought never even entered my mind until you posted it.

BearsCountry
July 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I could only see WIU in the GWC if the Mid-Con takes it over, and adds two more teams to make half the league fb schools. Thats the only reason I see WIU in the Mid-Con, no other way do they leave the Gateway.

RabidRabbit
July 5th, 2006, 09:19 PM
I could only see WIU in the GWC if the Mid-Con takes it over, and adds two more teams to make half the league fb schools. Thats the only reason I see WIU in the Mid-Con, no other way do they leave the Gateway.

This is a possibility, much like if WKU rejoins/joins the Mo Valley. In that case, over 1/2 schools in MoValley are also football schools, and MoValley football exists.

Defeats the interest of GWFC in having WIU (or any other EXISTING I-AA SCHOOL) join to accelerate auto-bid eligibility.

:bow: Thanks for airing this out :bow: The GWFC members are eager to be in the playoffs by more than just an invite. But 3 of 5 are still not even eligible, so we can wait a couple of years yet :smiley_wi

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I agree as well. MsplsBison, you have not done your research on WIU or the rest of the history of the Gateway. This thread is ridiculous. I admire the speculation of WIU switching conferences, but in terms of moving their football program into another conference, that thought never even entered my mind until you posted it.

Leatherdude,
God love him, but he does the same sort of shat on PantherNation.com. Likes to hear himself talk, bless his little heart.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cap'n Cat
July 6th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Nobody has said here what the thinking is in the ivory towers of Macomb. Unless a gun is pointed at the AD's head, they won't leave the Gateway.