PDA

View Full Version : Joe Schobert takes walk on at UND over schloarships and a BCS school

darell1976
July 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.wissports.net/article.asp?pageID=1&newsID=23508&sportID=3

It isn't uncommon for a high school athlete to perform well late in their careers and garner increased recruiting attention from other schools, but for Waukesha West's Joe Schobert, "late" got a whole new meaning.

Schobert gave a verbal commitment to join the North Dakota football team as a preferred walk-on at outside linebacker back in February. However, after an outstanding week leading up to, and performance at the WFCA All-Star Game in Oshkosh in early July, he began hearing from several schools who realized they may have missed out on a quality football player.

I said all season that Schobert may be the most underrecruited player in the state. Despite rushing for nearly 3900 yards and 51 touchdowns as a running back, being a two-time All-State selection, earning All-Conference honors on defense, and posting impressive measurables, he did not receive any Division I scholarship offers.

That changed after his performance at All-Star Week though. Since he did not sign any binding Letter of Intent as a preferred walk-on, other schools remained free to contact, recruit, and offer. Both North Dakota State and Northern Illinois offered some form of scholarship money, and the University of Wisconsin extended a preferred walk-on invitation.

Schobert had built a strong relationship with the North Dakota staff over the last several months and felt a great deal of loyalty to the program. He informed the coaching staffs at North Dakota State and Northern Illinois that he appreciated the offers, but was not considering them. It was down to preferred walk-on invitations at North Dakota and Wisconsin.

Last night, he reaffirmed his commitment to North Dakota and will head to Grand Forks next week to get settled in for practices.

"I just felt like the North Dakota coaches like me and I liked the campus," Schobert told WisSports.net. "And I'm excited to play outside linebacker."

Sounds like UND got a steal from Wisconsin!!

kdinva
July 28th, 2012, 07:56 PM
good to see the lad keep his word........xhighfivex .........and the UW recruiters going.....xarguex

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
"He informed the coaching staffs at North Dakota State and Northern Illinois that he appreciated the offers, but was not considering them."

He probably is the kind of guy who's averse to the limelight and media/fan pressure and would prefer to be in a place like Grand Forks where no one would recognize a UND FB player if they saw one.

slostang
July 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Probably wants to play in the Big Sky conference. Can not blame a kid for wanting to play in the best conference in the FCS. ;)

UNDColorado
July 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Ouch this must sting, that makes the second recruit in this class who was chased by ndsu that is choosing Kelley Green over piss yellow. For your health we should get you on suicide watch now as this pattern of events will continue!

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Ouch this must sting, that makes the second recruit in this class who was chased by ndsu that is choosing Kelley Green over piss yellow. For your health we should get you on suicide watch now as this pattern of events will continue!

Keep chest-thumping there flickertail faithful....xsmileyclapxxsmileyclapxxsmileyclapx

Come down to our tailgate that has twice your ave attendance, for some real FB atmosphere.

southernbounder
July 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM

It doesn't sting at all. NDSU threw some quick scholly money at him after an all-star game just like a few others and the kid stuck by his commitment. It sounds like the kid has some potential. Good find by UND and Congrats to the kid for sticking to his word.

It sounds like good news up north is few and far between these days. The butthurt is strong with you. xcrazyx

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
"He informed the coaching staffs at North Dakota State and Northern Illinois that he appreciated the offers, but was not considering them."

He probably is the kind of guy who's averse to the limelight and media/fan pressure and would prefer to be in a place like Grand Forks where no one would recognize a UND FB player if they saw one.

UND is hoping to change all that!! Being in an AQ conference was step one in the process (Check), step two is getting some pretty good recruits (check that!!). Now to show the FCS world what we can do starting Sept 8th against Portland State (I consider the SDSoM's an exhibition game).

frozennorth
July 29th, 2012, 05:09 PM

a und star player bounces at a bar downtown, noone knows who he is, except for me and a handful of other people. pretty hilarious.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM
a und star player bounces at a bar downtown, noone knows who he is, except for me and a handful of other people. pretty hilarious.

I'm still in contact with a couple of the NDSU coaches (I knew them some years ago when I was on the FB staff). They tell me that NDSU FB players are treated like they're the players of the local pro team in Fargo. Many of the players are cult celebrities in F-M.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 09:15 PM

I'm still in contact with a couple of the NDSU coaches (I knew them some years ago when I was on the FB staff). They tell me that NDSU FB players are treated like they're the players of the local pro team in Fargo. Many of the players are cult celebrities in F-M.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM

It must be sad when all you have to lord over NDSU is that you got a recruit that we offered.

We'll just keep earning the rings and selling out our 19,000-seat stadium, thank you.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds like a great get for UND, congrats!

Question: why didn't UND offer this kid a scholarship after his all-star game? Seems like the right thing to do, rewarding his loyalty when could've had guaranteed money going to Fargo or Dekalb.

pajo
July 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Ouch.

http://www.wissports.net/article.asp?pageID=1&newsID=23510&sportID=3

No_Skill
July 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
...that's a shame.

cbarrier90
July 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ouch.

Dream or not, I'll never understand why kids turn down four years of completely free higher education to walk-on elsewhere.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Dream or not, I'll never understand why kids turn down four years of completely free higher education to walk-on elsewhere.

Two words.....Depth Chart.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 10:31 PM
http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/15087-2012-recruiting/page__st__1340#entry569660

Hey everyone,
this is Joe Schobert, Unfortunately for everyone in Grand Forks I received a call from Coach Bielema today and he assured me that I would be able to get in to Madison for the Fall semester and that was what I was waiting to hear all week long last week. But on Friday they couldn't tell me so I thought i would be heading to UND. Im sorry that this has turned out this way, I loved the coaches and people I met that worked for the University but this is an opportunity to live out my Dream and i am going to try and take it. I wish you all the best of luck in the future and the UND football team certainly looks like it will make noise in the BSC very soon.
Thanks,
Joe Schobert

344Johnson
July 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Sucks to suck El Forko Grande.

Go Herd.

Whioux Suck.

DJKyR0
July 29th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Always a touchy thing when student-athletes read (much less post) in/on an internet forum, but that's some class to man up and speak out to some fans that were probably pretty jacked about this whole thing.

dakotadan
July 30th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Can't give too much flack to a kid for choosing his home state B1G school over an FCS school. It would have been nice to see him in Kelly Green.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 12:41 AM

If I were in his position, I would turn down a scholarship to UND to go to U-W. Their walkons have a very strong record, and its one of the best and most prestigious schools on the planet. No brainer IMO.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 01:44 AM
Sucks to suck El Forko Grande.

Go Herd.

Whioux Suck.

Easy now...you sound like Lakes. Stay classy.

Twentysix
July 30th, 2012, 04:54 AM
If I were in his position, I would turn down a scholarship to UND to go to U-W. Their walkons have a very strong record, and its one of the best and most prestigious schools on the planet. No brainer IMO.

No kidding. UW-Madison is ranked #19 in the world academically... If he can work it out financially then he should do it. Not to mention UW is really cheap it's only 10k per year tuition for him.

Hammerhead
July 30th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Is a preferred walk-on guaranteed a spot on the roster?

MplsBison
July 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM

UND wasn't offering him a scholarship! Just a walk-on chance.

That's the weirdest thing of this whole deal, to me.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Is a preferred walk-on guaranteed a spot on the roster?

It just means you can come to fall camp. A walk-on in the normally thought of sense can't participate on the team until school starts. Those types usually never make it above the practice squad.

Preferreds, on the other hand, certainly can and do earn scholarships later.

THE HERD
July 30th, 2012, 08:52 AM
If UND really wanted him than they really F'd up by not giving him a scholarship offer after the Badgers gave him a preferred walk-on offer. Hell ya know a Wisconsin kid is gonna take a preferred walkon to UW over a preferred walkon to UND! Apparently they didn't want him that bad, either that or they are nieve and stupid all wrapped in one.

Apphole
July 30th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Two words.....Depth Chart.

This. PT. Or perhaps he has a girl friend there. These are 18-year-olds, let's not forget. They could go for any number of reasons, some of which could be quite stupid. Why do you think UNCC is able to get any recruits? Some players don't want to leave mommy's home cookin'.

aces1180
July 30th, 2012, 09:21 AM
This whole thread makes me smile.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 09:39 AM
If UND really wanted him than they really F'd up by not giving him a scholarship offer after the Badgers gave him a preferred walk-on offer. Hell ya know a Wisconsin kid is gonna take a preferred walkon to UW over a preferred walkon to UND! Apparently they didn't want him that bad, either that or they are nieve and stupid all wrapped in one.

I am sure Coach Mussman will be asked that. I would like to know why they didn't offer him a scholarship, there has to be a reason. As for picking UW over UND was a no-brainer. A top notch BCS school over a newly playoff eligible team. Unless he knew he has a shot at starting right away or if it was academics I could see him picking UND over UW but maybe he has a shot at a start after a possible redshirt year (I am pretty sure UW would redshirt him).

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM

The part that UND lost a walk-on to a BCS team, or UND almost getting a walk-on to sign over a possible schloarship from the National Champions of the FCS. The first one is understandable, but the second one really makes me smile.:)

NoDak 4 Ever
July 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The part that UND lost a walk-on to a BCS team, or UND almost getting a walk-on to sign over a possible schloarship from the National Champions of the FCS. The first one is understandable, but the second one really makes me smile.:)

Take the little victories when you can.

Twentysix
July 30th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Its got nothing on my coinstar thread.

Twentysix
July 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I am sure Coach Mussman will be asked that. I would like to know why they didn't offer him a scholarship, there has to be a reason. As for picking UW over UND was a no-brainer. A top notch BCS school over a newly playoff eligible team. Unless he knew he has a shot at starting right away or if it was academics I could see him picking UND over UW but maybe he has a shot at a start after a possible redshirt year (I am pretty sure UW would redshirt him).

You mean academics as in he has poor grades right?

Cause UND doesn't even sniff UW's farts academically.

aces1180
July 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Its got nothing on my coinstar thread.

Yeah, that was funny...However, GC are just as good as cash.

aces1180
July 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Glad you can smile too...I expect that this season will give UND fans little opportunity to do so...5-6.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Academics as in field. Maybe there was something at UND that isn't offered at UW.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Glad you can smile too...I expect that this season will give UND fans little opportunity to do so...5-6.

Which 5 do we beat? Because I want to relive this thread at the end of the season to see if your crystal ball is clear or full of yellow kool-aid.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Which 5 games do you think they will win?

I see: SDSMT, NAU, UNC, and maybe SUU.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM

I see SDSMT, PSU, Sac St, Cal Poly, UM, NAU, SUU, and UNC. 7 wins...playoffs baby!!

aces1180
July 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM

I think they sneak past Portland St and maybe Sacto...I don't think they beat SUU.

Twentysix
July 30th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I see SDSMT, PSU, Sac St, Cal Poly, UM, NAU, SUU, and UNC. 7 wins...playoffs baby!!

Unless UM wins 9 DI games you wont get in with that resume. ILLst sat so will UND.

If UM wins 9 games then you will.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Unless UM wins 9 DI games you wont get in with that resume. ILLst sat so will UND.

If UM wins 9 games then you will.

So 7 isn't the "guarantee" mark anymore its more like 8 or 9?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 30th, 2012, 10:24 AM
So 7 isn't the "guarantee" mark anymore its more like 8 or 9?

Just ask ISUr, Delaware, or Portland State.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just ask ISUr, Delaware, or Portland State.

I figured with more teams now in the playoffs 7 is a good number (of course winning all the games is the safest).

NoDak 4 Ever
July 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I figured with more teams now in the playoffs 7 is a good number (of course winning all the games is the safest).

Yeah, that's probably what NDSU will do.

BisonBacker
July 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Talk about drinking the koolaid. WOW.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Talk about drinking the koolaid. WOW.

Not really the only game on that list on the road is Sac St. and UNC. UND is very tough in the Alerus (right NDSU)?

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Not really the only game on that list on the road is Sac St. and UNC. UND is very tough in the Alerus (right NDSU)?

NDSU played two games in there. So....very small sample size eh? UND got pounded by.....USF in the Alerus.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:54 AM
NDSU played two games in there. So....very small sample size eh? UND got pounded by.....USF in the Alerus.

Sorry, here is a big sample size: UND has lost only 11 games in the Alerus since 2001. 62-11 thats an average of 1 home loss a season. Again...tough at home.

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sorry, here is a big sample size: UND has lost only 11 games in the Alerus since 2001. 62-11 thats an average of 1 home loss a season. Again...tough at home.

how about we look at their record against Division 1 teams in there. And include the Sioux Falls loss.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 11:12 AM
how about we look at their record against Division 1 teams in there. And include the Sioux Falls loss.

Just DI teams (including transition teams ex. USD): 7-4 (during our transition). Record against DI teams prior to transition 0-0 at home and 2-0 on the road (UNI, and SUU)

UND is now a full DI member in football so they will be on even ground with the rest of DI since the DII players have been filtered out. I know you want to downgrade UND in everyway...I wouldn't expect less from some Bison fans.

Twentysix
July 30th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Just DI teams (including transition teams ex. USD): 7-4 (during our transition). Record against DI teams prior to transition 0-0 at home and 2-0 on the road (UNI, and SUU)

UND is now a full DI member in football so they will be on even ground with the rest of DI since the DII players have been filtered out. I know you want to downgrade UND in everyway...I wouldn't expect less from some Bison fans.

UND sucks! Haha! :p

Seriously though I don't see UND making the playoffs this year. They will be a contender in the bigsky pretty soon though. Especially if they play smashmouth football in that pass happy league.

bisonnation
July 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
This is funny! As he posts this the player decided to go to Wisconsin and walk on.

Schobert, a 6-foot-2, 215-pound safety/tailback from Waukesha West High School, was almost out the door heading to join the North Dakota program when UW coach Bret Bielema called and offered a spot as a preferred walk-on.

Schobert accepted and is now set to report on Sunday for preseason camp. He expects to start out at strong safety.

You guys are getting pretty desperate for moral victories! I guess UND is a better destination than Wisconsin! ROTFLMAO! Good for him and good for you guys

BTW, Justin Arp chose a walk on offer over a UND scholarship and we didn't feel the need to start a thread on it. Once you almost beat a few upper tier Big Sky teams you can go back to moral victories!

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Just was pointing out that UND is not some juggernaut at home because they did well there when they were D-II or when they were playing down against D-II and NAIA teams.

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Wow you guys are getting pretty desperate for moral victories! I guess UND is a better destination than Wisconsin! ROTFLMAO! Good for him and good for you guys

BTW, Justin Arp chose a walk on offer over a UND scholarship and we didn't feel the need to start a thread on it. Once you almost beat a few upper tier Big Sky teams you can go back to moral victories!

Doesn't count, because he is planning on agriculture I believe.

aces1180
July 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Wow you guys are getting pretty desperate for moral victories! I guess UND is a better destination than Wisconsin! ROTFLMAO! Good for him and good for you guys

Funny thing is, they celebrated a moral victory that didn't even happen!

MplsBison
July 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Certainly UND doesn't even come close to Wisconsin in the number of research grants awarded to faculty. Wisconsin's faculty are probably much more accomplished in terms of being research all-stars, as well (much more highly published, awards, etc.).

But in simple terms of the quality of undergraduate education for most majors, you'd probably get about the same quality at UND as Wisconsin. Research all-stars don't necessarily translate well to all-stars at teaching junior and senior undergrad topics.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Certainly UND doesn't even come close to Wisconsin in the number of research grants awarded to faculty. Wisconsin's faculty are probably much more accomplished in terms of being research all-stars, as well (much more highly published, awards, etc.).

But in simple terms of the quality of undergraduate education for most majors, you'd probably get about the same quality at UND as Wisconsin. Research all-stars don't necessarily translate well to all-stars at teaching junior and senior undergrad topics.

It depends one your interests. If you are interested in your academics, you will get more out of U-W. Only about 1/4 of UND's student body would have a shot at being admitted into U-W, probably less. It's really tough to get the kind of intellectual engagement at middle tier universities that you do at the upper crust. Not to mention the connections you make.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 03:48 PM

NDSU getting a recruit over UND is the same as UND getting a recruit over Wisconsin. Yeah thats almost the same.xrolleyesx But he picked Wisconsin because its his home state.

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM
NDSU getting a recruit over UND is the same as UND getting a recruit over Wisconsin. Yeah thats almost the same.xrolleyesx But he picked Wisconsin because its his home state.

UND didnt get a recruit over Wisconsin though. I am obviously missing something.

Bison06
July 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM

But you didn't get a recruit over Wisconsin, this isn't horseshoes Darell. :)

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
But you didn't get a recruit over Wisconsin, this isn't horseshoes Darell. :)

I know UND didn't, obviously you missed his comparison or you know comparing NDSU over UND to Wisconsin over UND is very funny. Sorry but even though you won the FCS title...Wisconsin rules over NDSU.

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I know UND didn't, obviously you missed his comparison or you know comparing NDSU over UND to Wisconsin over UND is very funny. Sorry but even though you won the FCS title...Wisconsin rules over NDSU.

I don't think he compared what you think he did. I think he pointed out that UND did not win some huge recruiting battle because he ended up at Wisconsin.

And that he found it to be strange that UND folks are making quite a large deal about this being a sign UND recruiting is getting better when NDSU offers the guy some scholarship money but yet UND fans ignore, and honestly a lot of NDSU folk do too, that Arp turned down UND money to go to NDSU. I think that is what he is saying....not entirely sure though.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I don't think he compared what you think he did. I think he pointed out that UND did not win some huge recruiting battle because he ended up at Wisconsin.

And that he found it to be strange that UND folks are making quite a large deal about this being a sign UND recruiting is getting better when NDSU offers the guy some scholarship money but yet UND fans ignore, and honestly a lot of NDSU folk do too, that Arp turned down UND money to go to NDSU. I think that is what he is saying....not entirely sure though.

His example was stupid. NDSU got a walk on over a scholly at UND because he went into Agriculture. Sorry UND doesn't offer that but that is the fault of the school not the football team. Wisconsin got this guy over UND because he is from Wisconsin which is the fault of the school's location not the football team. This team is getting better recruits and without the nickname issue a distraction plus being in a big time FCS conference will get even better and some players will choose UND over an FBS team (as we have seen with other FCS schools...like NDSU).

Bison06
July 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM

I fully realize that NDSU is not on par with Wisconsin.

What I would like to say about it here and now is, at no point in the future do you have any bragging rights on this. Why? Because it didn't actually happen.

Just thought I would throw that out there now, because I think we both know you would feel like this was some sort of moral victory over NDSU even though again...it didn't actually happen.xrotatehx

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I fully realize that NDSU is not on par with Wisconsin.

What I would like to say about it here and now is, at no point in the future do you have any bragging rights on this. Why? Because it didn't actually happen.

Just thought I would throw that out there now, because I think we both know you would feel like this was some sort of moral victory over NDSU even though again...it didn't actually happen.xrotatehx

No I don't think its a moral victory ( I still love how everything that goes bad for UND some Bison fan says its a moral victory). I just thought it was something that a recruit would consider walking on to UND over the National Champions in the FCS and a FBS school who offered the guy a scholly. Its flattering and it shows maybe UND football is headed in the right direction.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 04:33 PM
No I don't think its a moral victory ( I still love how everything that goes bad for UND some Bison fan says its a moral victory). I just thought it was something that a recruit would consider walking on to UND over the National Champions in the FCS and a FBS school who offered the guy a scholly. Its flattering and it shows maybe UND football is headed in the right direction.
the only reason he was going to UND over UW is because it wasn't sure he wold be admitted or not. Once he was admitted, he went to UW.

Bison06
July 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM

The reason I am saying this is a moral victory for UND is because you are presenting as such. When something doesn't actually happen, you don't get to brag about it.

I agree, UND can take this as a sign that things are turning around, but anything above and beyond that I would consider ridiculous because he didn't actually pick a UND walk on over a NDSU scholarship.

By the way, has anyone actually confirmed what exactly NDSU offered? Maybe we offered to pay for his books, Maybe we offered him a full ride. Until(If ever) that becomes public we can't make an informed decision on how much "pride" UND should take in this "victory".

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM
The reason I am saying this is a moral victory for UND is because you are presenting as such. When something doesn't actually happen, you don't get to brag about it.

I agree, UND can take this as a sign that things are turning around, but anything above and beyond that I would consider ridiculous because he didn't actually pick a UND walk on over a NDSU scholarship.

By the way, has anyone actually confirmed what exactly NDSU offered? Maybe we offered to pay for his books, Maybe we offered him a full ride. Until(If ever) that becomes public we can't make an informed decision on how much "pride" UND should take in this "victory".

Agreed.

No_Skill
July 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM

If he had stayed with UND, I would agree 100%, but don't you think there is a possibility that he didn't consider any other schools recently because he knew UW would be calling? He would have looked like a tool if he had blown off UND to accept at NDSU and went on to accept the UW offer. He seems like a class act kid and I can see him thinking that way.

DJKyR0
July 30th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I think they're trying to point out the fact that UND fans are using a near-miss walk-on as a barometer for their program's progress. That should be evidence of how bad the transition has gone.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I think they're trying to point out the fact that UND fans are using a near-miss walk-on as a barometer for their program's progress. That should be evidence of how bad the transition has gone.

don't worry, UND is already more talented at every position group then NDSU, except for maybe secondary. NDSU's minor, unsuccessful program, had better get used to taking scraps from north dakota's true powerhouse.

DJKyR0
July 30th, 2012, 05:33 PM
don't worry, UND is already more talented at every position group then NDSU, except for maybe secondary. NDSU's minor, unsuccessful program, had better get used to taking scraps from north dakota's true powerhouse.

Now you're starting to sound like your online UND brethren. xthumbsupx

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM

The fact that NDSU even has a program after being outshone by UND's star for over a century is a triumph of the human spirit.

bisonboone11
July 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
His example was stupid. NDSU got a walk on over a scholly at UND because he went into Agriculture. Sorry UND doesn't offer that but that is the fault of the school not the football team. Wisconsin got this guy over UND because he is from Wisconsin which is the fault of the school's location not the football team. This team is getting better recruits and without the nickname issue a distraction plus being in a big time FCS conference will get even better and some players will choose UND over an FBS team (as we have seen with other FCS schools...like NDSU).Yep. That's the reason Wisconsin got him over UND. It has nothing to do with Wisconsin being one of the best schools academically and one of the top teams in the BCS. If he would've been from any other state besides Wisconsin, I'm sure UND would've gotten him over Wisconsin.

344Johnson
July 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Yep. That's the reason Wisconsin got him over UND. It has nothing to do with Wisconsin being one of the best schools academically and one of the top teams in the BCS. If he would've been from any other state besides Wisconsin, I'm sure UND would've gotten him over Wisconsin.

Notre Dame? psh. USC? psh. Texas? weaksauce.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
It depends one your interests. If you are interested in your academics, you will get more out of U-W. Only about 1/4 of UND's student body would have a shot at being admitted into U-W, probably less. It's really tough to get the kind of intellectual engagement at middle tier universities that you do at the upper crust. Not to mention the connections you make.

Absolutely for connections and just the name recognition on the degree. Those are superior at Wisconsin.

And yes, the undergrads being admitted to UW are relatively higher up the food chain compared to UND. In the sense that, similar to Minnesota, Wisconsin is tell its high school graduates that just want to go to college because that's the next thing to do after high school: "go to one of the other public schools...not Madison".

BUT, still, not withstanding the fact that your average classmate will be more competitive with you, I will still contend that undergrad education at a public university is mostly what you make out of it. It's going to be a lot of self teaching - if you want to learn the concepts and do well.

Hammerhead
July 30th, 2012, 07:39 PM
He was probably reading something and said: "Wait a minute. I thought North Dakota won the national championship last year and they didn't?! Guess I'll just stay in Wisconsin."

Ouch.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:18 PM
He was probably reading something and said: "Wait a minute. I thought North Dakota won the national championship last year and they didn't?! Guess I'll just stay in Wisconsin."

That wasn't it since he said no thanks to a scholly from NDSU. Thanks for playing.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Yep. That's the reason Wisconsin got him over UND. It has nothing to do with Wisconsin being one of the best schools academically and one of the top teams in the BCS. If he would've been from any other state besides Wisconsin, I'm sure UND would've gotten him over Wisconsin.

I loved the coaches and people I met that worked for the University but this is an opportunity to live out my Dream and i am going to try and take it.

I don't think someone in Minnesota would have a dream of playing for the Badgers, or someone in Texas has a dream to play in Madison.

NDB
July 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Spin it however you want, the story blew in your face.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I don't think someone in Minnesota would have a dream of playing for the Badgers, or someone in Texas has a dream to play in Madison.

please stop making people from the school you didn't go to look like idiots. we do a good enough job as it is.

BluBengal07
July 31st, 2012, 07:04 AM
not too common kids will keep their word when the competition and bigger schools start calling their name after a outbreak performance. congrats North Dakota.

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 07:55 AM
please stop making people from the school you didn't go to look like idiots. we do a good enough job as it is.

xsmhx

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 07:57 AM
not too common kids will keep their word when the competition and bigger schools start calling their name after a outbreak performance. congrats North Dakota.

I wish him the best of luck in Badgerville.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 08:02 AM
I wish him the best of luck in Badgerville.

Church Key>El Roco

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Church Key>El Roco

I miss El Roco. Drank, danced, played pool, and had lots of fun. 1998 was a good year!!

bisonboone11
July 31st, 2012, 09:09 AM
I don't think someone in Minnesota would have a dream of playing for the Badgers, or someone in Texas has a dream to play in Madison.I didn't say someone from those states would necessarily have a dream of playing for the Badgers, but I'm guessing 99.9% of high school football players would rather play for Wisconsin than UND or NDSU for that matter. I'm not making any attempt to put UND down, but Wisconsin is a great school with a great football program. Are you honestly trying to say that he would've chosen UND over Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc., or if he would've been from any of the other 49 states besides Wisconsin, he would've chosen UND over Wisconsin?

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:23 AM

http://www.shanghairanking.com/Institution.jsp?param=University of Wisconsin - Madison

If you intend to further your education beyond an undergrad degree going to UW will open graduate doors that wouldn't have even existed if you attended UND.

Letters of recommendation from people who are at the top of their research field are the biggest deal. Your opportunities at Wisconsin blow UND out of the pond.

Not to mention according to UND's website it would have cost him 17,000 a year in tuition and fees. Where as Wisconsin will be 7k a year cheaper than that for him.

That is 2011-12 costs for UND and 2012-13 costs for UW-Madison.

http://und.edu/finance-operations/student-account-services/tuition-rates.cfm

http://www.finaid.wisc.edu/undergraduate-cost.htm

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 09:24 AM
I didn't say someone from those states would necessarily have a dream of playing for the Badgers, but I'm guessing 99.9% of high school football players would rather play for Wisconsin than UND or NDSU for that matter. I'm not making any attempt to put UND down, but Wisconsin is a great school with a great football program. Are you honestly trying to say that he would've chosen UND over Alabama, Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc., or if he would've been from any of the other 49 states besides Wisconsin, he would've chosen UND over Wisconsin?

He said that his dream was to play for Wisconsin I understand that just like I am sure someone from Fargo's dream is to play for NDSU and so on. UW is tops (if not "the" top) team in the Big 10. Of course UND, NDSU or even Northern Illinois seems like small potatoes compared to the Badgers. Its good he chose to pursue his dream and I wish him well. And if 99.9% of players had a choice between a BCS school or a FCS school...its not going to be our teams. Maybe I read your comment wrong. Sorry if there was confusion. But anyway, I wish him luck, and I wish your team luck in their pursuit of another national title and let the recruit battle continue.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 09:26 AM
http://www.shanghairanking.com/Institution.jsp?param=University of Wisconsin - Madison

If you intend to further your education beyond an undergrad degree going to UW will open graduate doors that wouldn't have even existed if you attended UND.

Letters of recommendation from people who are at the top of their research field are the biggest deal. Your opportunities at Wisconsin blow UND out of the pond.

My wife got into 6 different PhD programs having only gone to NDSU. She had her choice of 5 different R1 programs. Kind of also depends on the student.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM
My wife got into 6 different PhD programs having only gone to NDSU. She had her choice of 5 different R1 programs. Kind of also depends on the student.

That is meaningless unless you post the 6 schools with departments.

She may have gotten into Kansas State rather than the University of Chicago. They are not created equal.

The potential academic advantage of going to Wisconsin over NDSU are vast.

Also did she have a terminal masters when being admitted or was it BA to PhD route.

Was she admitted as a PhD candidate or was she admitted to take classes with the potential of becoming a PhD candidate?

Was she admitted with immediate funding to all 6 schools?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
That is meaningless unless you post the 6 schools with departments.

She may have gotten into Kansas State rather than the University of Chicago. They are not created equal.

The potential academic advantage of going to Wisconsin over NDSU are vast.

ok fine, She is a Mass Communication student and she got into Penn State, Kentucky, UNC-Chapel Hill, Ohio State, and...Wisconsin! She ultimately chose OSU over UNC. Wisky begged her to come with no financial considerations (not bloody likely).

She got her Bachelor's and Masters at NDSU. It really does depend on the student.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM
Obviously it depends on the student but that doesn't change the fact that you are afforded more tools at certain schools.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Obviously it depends on the student but that doesn't change the fact that you are afforded more tools at certain schools.

State Street is Wisconsin's greatest recruiting tool.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:46 AM
State Street is Wisconsin's greatest recruiting tool.

You misunderstand what I mean.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
You misunderstand what I mean.

Nope, just trying to derail the boring-as-**** academic discussion and getting to the meat of that an 18 year old kid would think vis a vis Madison vs. Grand Forks.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 09:51 AM
Nope, just trying to derail the boring-as-**** academic discussion and getting to the meat of that an 18 year old kid would think vis a vis Madison vs. Grand Forks.

Depends how serious he is about academics. More than likely you are right that the party scene, but even more so the football culture and tradition would be what sways him.

Not to mention Im sure mom and dad would rather pay 10k a year than 17k a year sans living expenses.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 10:10 AM

Not to mention according to UND's website it would have cost him 17,000 a year in tuition and fees. Where as Wisconsin will be 7k a year cheaper than that for him.

Can't refute a single thing you said.

Was just commenting on the average joe who gets a BS in something. You'd probably learn as many concepts and learn them just as well in Grand Forks as Madison. But absolutely yes, everything else you mention is correct.

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 10:20 AM
ok fine, She is a Mass Communication student and she got into Penn State, Kentucky, UNC-Chapel Hill, Ohio State, and...Wisconsin! She ultimately chose OSU over UNC. Wisky begged her to come with no financial considerations (not bloody likely).

She got her Bachelor's and Masters at NDSU. It really does depend on the student.

When did your wife attend NDSU? I have both those degrees as well in Mass Comm...Maybe I had class with her?

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 10:23 AM
When did your wife attend NDSU? I have both those degrees as well in Mass Comm...Maybe I had class with her?

She graduated BS in '04 and MS in '07

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 10:26 AM
She graduated BS in '04 and MS in '07

Oh, ok..I am just a bit older than her...I got my BA in '02 and the MA in '05. What is her focus? Mine was PR.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 10:29 AM
Oh, ok..I am just a bit older than her...I got my BA in '02 and the MA in '05. What is her focus? Mine was PR.

Oh I wish it was PR. That's where all the jobs seem to be coming out next year. She is doing what I would consider about the most boring focus on political communication - not rhetoric, not messaging. but media effects on political participation.

She's pretty brilliant but I'm a total political wonk and she rarely knows what I'm talking about.

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Oh I wish it was PR. That's where all the jobs seem to be coming out next year. She is doing what I would consider about the most boring focus on political communication - not rhetoric, not messaging. but media effects on political participation.

She's pretty brilliant but I'm a total political wonk and she rarely knows what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I went where the money was...I thought about getting my PhD, but decided to get a certificate from MSCTC in Web Development instead. I do like studies that explore media effects and trends...Politics would not be my interest area, however.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I went where the money was...I thought about getting my PhD, but decided to get a certificate from MSCTC in Web Development instead. I do like studies that explore media effects and trends...Politics would not be my interest area, however.

I went where the money decidedly was NOT. I got my degree in Speech Comm from NDSU. Needless to say, it was mostly a "hey Mom, I graduated" degree.

NDB
July 31st, 2012, 10:51 AM

With all due respect. You don't know sh#t.

A kid with a solid academic record, test scores, and letters of recommendation can go anywhere from UND.

344Johnson
July 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM

I'm sure there are kids in Minnesota who grow up Wisconsin fans. Probably some Iowa fans too. Might depend a lot of mommy and daddy.

Twentysix
July 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM

A kid with a solid academic record, test scores, and letters of recommendation can go anywhere from UND.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?111331-Joe-Schobert-takes-walk-on-at-UND-over-schloarships-and-a-BCS-school&p=1819083&viewfull=1#post1819083

Thanks for playing.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM

As bad as it is, I'll bet my next paycheck that there are employers in this country who would get in an application from the top ranked student at UND (or NDSU for that matter) and would turn them down simply based on the fact that they didn't come from the "right" school.

Go Bison
July 31st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Okay, let me get this straight. This 6 page thread is about someone that chose not to go to UND or NDSU. What a waste of time.

DJKyR0
July 31st, 2012, 12:34 PM
Time to derail this bastard of a thread.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/00%20spiderman.jpg

aces1180
Okay, let me get this straight. This 6 page thread is about someone that chose not to go to UND or NDSU. What a waste of time.

Yep...The OP couldn't wait to come here at tell everyone about how UND earned a moral victory over NDSU...Oops.

NoDak 4 Ever

Whew! Thank goodness the arbiter of time wasting has arrived. We can now lock this thread.

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 12:35 PM
Time to derail this bastard of a thread.

http://blogs.westword.com/showandtell/00%20spiderman.jpg

I thought some of us already did that while discussing our time with the Communication Department at NDSU? :)

PS - Charles Okigbo and Mark Meister are the ****!

DJKyR0
July 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM
I thought some of us already did that while discussing our time with the Communication Department at NDSU? :)

PS - Charles Okigbo is the man!

As a comm student at NDSU, I'd go with Spiderman every time.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM

PS - Charles Okigbo is the man!

Nah. Robert Littlefield!

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
As a comm student at NDSU, I'd go with Spiderman every time.

Ouch...I guess it's easy to look back fondly after the fact.

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Nah. Robert Littlefield!

Only had him for one class...

DJKyR0
July 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Ouch...I guess it's easy to look back fondly after the fact.

As a diehard comic book fan, I automatically defer to Spiderman in most comparisons. Nothing personal against the comm department.

Go Bison
July 31st, 2012, 12:52 PM
Whew! Thank goodness the arbiter of time wasting has arrived. We can now lock this thread.

Actually, it was a decent read but the thread title is a bit misleading. I suppose you could say it was a twist in the plot.

aces1180
July 31st, 2012, 01:19 PM
As a diehard comic book fan, I automatically defer to Spiderman in most comparisons. Nothing personal against the comm department.

Gotcha...

darell1976
July 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Actually, it was a decent read but the thread title is a bit misleading. I suppose you could say it was a twist in the plot.

He was choosing UND when I posted it....it wasn't until a later time that he changed his mind. Go back and read the first 10 or so posts.

pajo
July 31st, 2012, 06:33 PM
Nah. Robert Littlefield!
Dr. L is a bad, bad man. /thread

ndsubison
August 1st, 2012, 04:50 PM
Probably wants to play in the Big Sky conference. Can not blame a kid for wanting to play in the best conference in the FCS. ;)

No offense SloStang since I've always enjoyed and appreciated your comments on the boards. But let's see how you do in the Big Soft and what your record reflects before calling it the toughest conf in the nation. My money has Poly going .500 in the MVFC right now.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 05:06 PM
No offense SloStang since I've always enjoyed and appreciated your comments on the boards. But let's see how you do in the Big Soft and what your record reflects before calling it the toughest conf in the nation. My money has Poly going .500 in the MVFC right now.

What would NDSU do in the Big Sky? BSC is pretty much even with the MVFC. Could NDSU go to Cheney, Grand Forks, Missoula, Bozeman, SLO and win? Maybe, but then again maybe not.

Wilson16
August 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM
What would NDSU do in the Big Sky? BSC is pretty much even with the MVFC. Could NDSU go to Cheney, Grand Forks, Missoula, Bozeman, SLO and win? Maybe, but then again maybe not.

1 Loss

No_Skill
August 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM

We've won in all but Cheeeeeney before...the question pretty much answers itself.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 06:08 PM
We've won in all but Cheeeeeney before...the question pretty much answers itself.

Except in the Alerus (0-2). So no you haven't won in all.xnonox

No_Skill
August 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM

You said Grand Forks...xnonox

MplsBison
August 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM

The day will come. I hope sooner rather than later.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
You said Grand Forks...xnonox

Sure I said Grand Forks but UND doesn't play in Memorial Stadium anymore. Would it make you feel better if I named the stadiums and not the cities.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
The day will come. I hope sooner rather than later.

It will be in the playoffs because we all know the reason UND and NDSU will NEVER meet in an OOC game, and that reason is.........

No_Skill
August 1st, 2012, 06:13 PM
Sure I said Grand Forks but UND doesn't play in Memorial Stadium anymore. Would it make you feel better if I named the stadiums and not the cities.

You wrote the words, fella. I'm not a mind reader.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
You wrote the words, fella. I'm not a mind reader.

Since UND hasn't played in Memorial Stadium since the fall of 2000, and NDSU hasn't won in that stadium since 1997 its safe to say I was talking about the Alerus Center since only Gene Taylor is the only one around since NDSU won it last in GF.

Thundar
August 1st, 2012, 06:42 PM
It will be in the playoffs because we all know the reason UND and NDSU will NEVER meet in an OOC game, and that reason is.........

Brian Fiason

Thundar
August 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM

Wow.......xsmhx

No_Skill
August 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM
Since UND hasn't played in Memorial Stadium since the fall of 2000, and NDSU hasn't won in that stadium since 1997 its safe to say I was talking about the Alerus Center since only Gene Taylor is the only one around since NDSU won it last in GF.

Regardless, we've won in gf before and if you ever get good enough to make the playoffs AND be ranked higher than us...we'll win there again.

darell1976
August 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM
Regardless, we've won in gf before and if you ever get good enough to make the playoffs AND be ranked higher than us...we'll win there again.

Last time UND was playoff eligible we made the playoffs. We will meet soon enough.

No_Skill
August 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
Last time UND was playoff eligible we made the playoffs. We will meet soon enough.

That's almost good enough to add to the other quote in my signature...almost.

MplsBison
August 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM

Gene Taylor.

Literally the only many standing in the way of the renewed series....

Twentysix
August 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
That would be one hell of a NC.

NDSU in the east division UND in the west.

frozennorth
August 2nd, 2012, 02:49 AM
I would be thrilled if NDSU and UND never played a regular season game ever again.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2012, 08:55 AM

Would the NCAA put them on opposite ends or intentionally make them play ASAP.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2012, 09:52 AM

Never happen. One of them would out-bid the other to host the game and the bid loser would go to the bid winner's site in a 1st or 2nd round game.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
I would be thrilled if NDSU and UND never played a regular season game ever again.

Yeah...but you know that won't happen. Too much money. Too many power players will say "ok, long enough...bygones are bygones".

Sure, there are a few ultra-bitter, ultra-rubes like yourself as well as on the NDSU side who will never forgive the other, perhaps refuse to attend or watch the games. But there aren't enough of you anymore to stop it.

darell1976
August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Yeah...but you know that won't happen. Too much money. Too many power players will say "ok, long enough...bygones are bygones".

Sure, there are a few ultra-bitter, ultra-rubes like yourself as well as on the UND side who will never forgive the other, perhaps refuse to attend or watch the games. But there aren't enough of you anymore to stop it.

FIFY

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM
FIFY

Whoops, saw the GF and assumed.