PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate FCS elimination game (pilot thread)

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Since we've been having the elimination games for a while I thought I'd come up with another elimination game with some twists that could start at the beginning of the season. My proposed game allows you to vote for four teams each day and gives teams the opportunity to get even more points for certain achievements in the season. I thought I could post the proposed rules and bonuses with point values for critique.

Here are the proposed rules.

1. You must have at least 100 posts to do a daily vote. Anyone can add bonus points to schools where they apply, though.

2. For each daily vote, you can add two points to one team, add one to a second, take away one from a third, and take away two from a fourth.
This is to encourage people to vote up schools other than their own and vote down schools other than their rival school at the start. You may
not use a -2 on a team one point away from elimination.

3. Each team will start with 50 points instead of 10.

4. Bonuses can be applied as follows and the corresponding number of bonus points added. All bonuses must be against Division I opponents.

Obviously, not every team that has earned a bonus will have someone add the points for them but as with the regular elimination game the point is to get people to support your team in the voting. When you add points, provide a link to a box score or news article as proof.

5. BONUSES

(1) Beat a team ranked in the top 10 in the AGS poll (60 points)
(an additional 20 points may be added if that team is ranked number one in the AGS Poll)
(2) Beat a non-BCS FBS team (60 points, 20 additional points for each FBS win the team has)
(when you beat an FBS team, you add the bonus point for each FBS win they had coming into that game and you add 10 points
for all subsequent FBS wins that team has)
(3) Beat a BCS FBS team (80 points)
(same policy as with the non-BCS FBS team, add 20 points for each win said FBS team has)
(4) Beat an FBS team ranked in the AP College football poll (200 points)
(add 40 points for each subsequent week where the team is on the AP College football poll)
(5) Win a game where you were down 20 points or more at one point (80 points)
(6) Win a game in regulation or OT where you were trailing in the final minute (15 points)
(7) Win a game in regulation where the game was tied in the final minute (15 points)
(8) Win a game on the road against a team that was in the top 15 in attendance last year (30 points)
(use this link http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf)
(9) Start the season unranked (i.e. below 25 in the preseason AGS poll) and get into the top 10 of the AGs poll (80 points)
(this bonus can only be applies once)
(10) Win a game with your all-conference QB injured (40 points)
(QB must miss not play any snaps)
(11) Win a game with your all-conference RB injured (30 points)
(RB must not play any snaps)
(12) Win 4 straight FCS road games (60 points)
(can only get bonus once in a season)
(13) Go undefeated in your conference (100 points)
(14) Receive an automatic bid to the FCS playoffs (40 points)
(15) Gain 600+ yards of offense in a game (30 points)
(16) Hold opponent to 150 total yards or less (30 points)
(17) QB completes all passes with minimum 10 passes (20 points)
(18) Running Back gets 200+ yards in a game (30 points)
(19) QB gets 400+ yards passing in a game (30 points)
(20) Commit no penalties in game (40 points)
(21) Get a safety (20 points)
(22) Return a punt for a touchdown (20 points)
(23) Return a kickoff for a touchdown (20 points)
(24) Get a defensive TD (20 points)
(if more than one defensive TD in one game, points stack)
(25) Shut out an opponent (40 points)

6. When bonuses are added, add the number corresponding to the Bonus on the left of the school name, and separate all bonuses with commas add asterisks to the numbers when counting wins of FBS opponents. This is to make sure bonuses aren't added more than once.

Example

North Dakota State +2
Georgia Southern +1
South Dakota -1
North Dakota -2

North Dakota State defeated 2-0 Wyoming (+100)
They also had 600 yards of offense in the game (+30)
NDSU was at 50 and is now at 182

Georgia Southern 51
North Dakota 48
2**, 15 North Dakota State 182
South Dakota 49

Tribe4SF
July 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
My head hurts.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I didn't read it but whatever you come up with and want to play is fine with me but it goes in the smack forum when you start it and I will not be monitoring it or being the "sheriff" on anything to do with these games so y'all are on your own with it.

Just wanted all that to be out front for everyone.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
July 28th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Complicated but interesting to say the least my man. Good luck with it.

Twentysix
July 28th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Ill read it when the season starts. I like the idea because its not some random hate filled zerg fest.

RichH2
July 28th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I'm in. I wish I had paid attention during Eco Statistics. Oh, good you are kepping score.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 28th, 2012, 09:50 PM
The tl;dr version

-vote up two teams and vote down two teams a day

-your team can get bonus points for certain accomplishments (read #5)

tell me if some bonuses should be higher or lower or if you have any ideas for other bonuses

BisonFan02
July 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Members of this board cannot manage to run a simple +1/-1 game without score screwups. Good luck man.

clenz
July 28th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Members of this board cannot manage to run a simple +1/-1 game without score screwups. Good luck man.

This.

I can tell you that I have experience running a board game - check my sig - and you're going to have to put litterally HOURS on end in this thing if you don't want a giant cluster ****. My game is literally updated once a week with a straight forward scoring system (right or wrong) and it would take me 4 hours a week to do it. Thankfully this year I've upgraded into a slightly automated scoring system so my time involved should be much lower.

I couldn't imagine keeping up with this on a daily routine...****, daily wouldn't be enough...it would almost need to be post by post. I've seen standard elimination games end up by over 300 total points by the end of it.....This could end up off by THOUSANDS of points before the season is half over.

clenz
July 28th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Also, how does this game ever end? If a team can only be voted down 1 point at a time but is able to pick up a hundred points per week in bonuses how the **** do we eliminate?

Links all over the place...

This, to be 100% honest with you, is a neat idea - but a complete donkey show waiting to go horribly wrong.

Honestly, completely revamping the game from an elimination game to a "which team scores the most bonus ponints during a season" contest is a better idea.

Kind of a "This team had the "most impressive" season.

crossfire07
July 29th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Ill read it when the season starts. I like the idea because its not some random hate filled zerg fest.

It is if you are using AGS polls. lol

wmmii
July 29th, 2012, 04:46 PM
This is a great ida but way to complicated to track all these bonus rules!

Suggest you take your proposed rules and modify them as follows, but I am happy to join whatever way you decide to do it!

Here are the proposed rules.

1. You must have at least 100 posts to do a daily vote. Anyone can add bonus points to schools where they apply, though.

2. For each daily vote, you can add two points to one team, add one to a second, take away one from a third, and take away two from a fourth.
This is to encourage people to vote up schools other than their own and vote down schools other than their rival school at the start. You may
not use a -2 on a team one point away from elimination.

3. Each team will start with 50 points instead of 10.

4. Bonuses can be applied as follows and the corresponding number of bonus points added. All bonuses must be against Division I opponents.

Obviously, not every team that has earned a bonus will have someone add the points for them but as with the regular elimination game the point is to get people to support your team in the voting. When you add points, provide a link to a box score or news article as proof.

5. BONUSES

(1) Beat a team ranked in the top 10 in the AGS poll (60 points)
(an additional 20 points may be added if that team is ranked number one in the AGS Poll)
(2) Beat a non-BCS FBS team (60 points)
(3) Beat a BCS FBS team (80 points)
(4) Beat an FBS team ranked in the AP College football poll (200 points)