PDA

View Full Version : GSU Athletic Director Sam Baker Resigns?

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
This was just posted on Twitter.

Probably a Hoax...I'll believe it when I see it in the paper.

http://twitter.com/thedaofsports

NoDak 4 Ever
July 27th, 2012, 03:16 PM

He probably got an offer from the Sun Belt.

eaglesrback
July 27th, 2012, 03:17 PM

Now confirmed.

bluehenbillk
July 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Well maybe he saw that the Delaware job opened up.....

Apphole
July 27th, 2012, 03:31 PM
The Flight Line seems pretty happy....

The guy was not pro-FBS. Could he be leaving as a result of the GaSo president leaning towards WAC football membership? The timing works well enough with the WAC announcement coming up....

NoDak 4 Ever
July 27th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Clearly being forced out for the whole "georgiasoutherneagles.co" scandal.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I think he was fired for misspelling naive, personally.

Saint3333
July 27th, 2012, 04:01 PM
People probably don't realize just how big this is. Consider what ASU did post 2004 when a long-time status quo AD was let go, I could see the same thing happen for GSU. Good move by them.

App better work hard to stay ahead.

GATA_Eagles
July 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
http://www.statesboroherald.com/m/section/1/article/42741/
Here's a good article about it. Huge news and the Eagle Nation is looking forward to an even brighter future!

Smitty
July 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Here's a good article about it. Huge news and the Eagle Nation is looking forward to an even brighter future!

That is one of the biggest pictures I have ever seen.....................

Eaglesrus
July 27th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Apparently he's not leaving GSU; will become a "special Assistant to the President". Speculation is that it will allow him to get fully vested in the state of Georgia retirement plan.

GSUEagles#1
July 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Really hoping that nothing comes out of the woodwork to say other stuff was going on and he was forced out! But if that were true, I don't think he would have been kept on as an assistant to the President.

From a TRUE GSU fan, this is VERY good news!!!

Eaglesrus
July 27th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Really hoping that nothing comes out of the woodwork to say other stuff was going on and he was forced out! But if that were true, I don't think he would have been kept on as an assistant to the President.

From a TRUE GSU fan, this is VERY good news!!!

My guess is that he didn't make this decision on his own, but that was simply because he and Dr. Keel didn't see eye-to-eye on the direction that the program should take, nothing sinister about it.

TheEagleWay
July 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Change is coming.

eaglewraith
July 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Wait, Yogus is back?

blueballs
July 28th, 2012, 07:23 AM
My guess is that he didn't make this decision on his own, but that was simply because he and Dr. Keel didn't see eye-to-eye on the direction that the program should take, nothing sinister about it.

I would think this is correct.

How ironic is it that the man who was labeled the "ax man" (correctly in my opinion) by a prominent FCS columnist for his classless firings of coaches is ushered out in a totally classy and dignified way?

My take on this is that GSU President Keel has HIS man already identified, and the timing of the announcement- at the end of the academic year- will allow for a seamless transition.

Keel is showing what in my opinion is undeserved loyalty and disdain for the taxpayers of the State of Georgia by keeping Baker around in a cake job so Baker can reach retrement age and suck a pension and insurance benefits off the taxpayers of the State of Georgia for the rest of his life. I can assure you that if I was in Keel's position out means out and he'd be gone for good.

Ivytalk
July 28th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I would think this is correct.

How ironic is it that the man who was labeled the "ax man" (correctly in my opinion) by a prominent FCS columnist for his classless firings of coaches is ushered out in a totally classy and dignified way?

My take on this is that GSU President Keel has HIS man already identified, and the timing of the announcement- at the end of the academic year- will allow for a seamless transition.

Keel is showing what in my opinion is undeserved loyalty and disdain for the taxpayers of the State of Georgia by keeping Baker around in a cake job so Baker can reach retrement age and suck a pension and insurance benefits off the taxpayers of the State of Georgia for the rest of his life. I can assure you that if I was in Keel's position out means out and he'd be gone for good.

Hey, blueballs, there's a bit of a spat going on over on FB among our Red Flag friends about this development. I tried to stay above the fray, because I like both people involved and I don't know enough about Baker to comment.

blueballs
July 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
IT:

Like a CEO or COO, an AD is judged by the entirety of his tenure in leadership, and Baker should be judged by that as well. His tenure has been one of very high highs and very low lows. His successes and shortcomings have been very well documented in this and other forums and aren't really subject to debate in my opinion as they are what they are.

However, IMO, the greatest trait of a leader is.... well, leadership- not stewardship. Sam Baker was a steward, not a leader. He was a bean counter, not a visionary. His tenure coincided with an incredibly unprecendented growth in enrollment, growth, and fund raising by the university yet the athletic department's budget and booster contributions did not increase in proportion. IMO that stagnation lays directly at Baker's feet.

While he was (arguably) a good steward of money he failed to inspire which led to the stagnation in the athletic department and his numerous faux pas (hoops academic scandal, the firing of Stowers and Sewak, BVG, how Hatcher was canned, failing to bid on a playoff game, the famous quote of "scaling back our dreams," etc.) damaged the athletic department in ways that can't really be quantified.

I guess the real question is this: Do you consider success as status quo (while along the way having several HUGE mistakes) or do you consider success as taking an entity to "the next level" both financially and competitively, while fostering a culture of achievement? To me, a leader is both a good steward AND a visionary, and Baker was definitely NOT a visionary, was barely a steward, and sure as hell didn't foster a culture of achievement. So, by my definition his tenure was an overall failure- I'd rate it a C-.

Ivytalk
July 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks, blueballs. I just remember seeing those kids hanging the "Fire Sam Baker" bedsheets on that I-20 overpass after the Furman game a few years back.;)

MplsBison
July 28th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Obviously the president and soon to be named new AD will be on-board with the plan to launch a 6-team, eastern US "division" of WAC football, along with App St, JMU, Delaware, Jax St and Liberty.

Baker, being an old timer and have an entrenched view of how things "ought to be", wouldn't accept the new way things are in college athletics. He bowed out.

Football only.

eaglewraith
July 28th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Obviously the president and soon to be named new AD will be on-board with the plan to launch a 6-team, eastern US "division" of WAC football, along with App St, JMU, Delaware, Jax St and Liberty.

Baker, being an old timer and have an entrenched view of how things "ought to be", wouldn't accept the new way things are in college athletics. He bowed out.

Football only.

Not so certain they'll be on board with the WAC idea. I'm not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't consider it a slam dunk that we'd jump on it either.

GATA_Eagles
July 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Dr. Keel's presser:
http://www.statesboroherald.com/multimedia/4629/