PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Big Sky Conference Preview: More Playoff Teams? (College Sporting News)

CSN-info
July 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=884&cid=18

2012 Big Sky Conference Preview: Will A Growing Conference Result In More Playoff Teams?

By Kent Schmidt
CSN West Columnist
College Sporting News

Having made an appearance in the FCS National Championship game three of the last four seasons, the Big Sky Conference maintains its stature as one of the premier conferences in the FCS.

Read More ... (http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?766-2012-Big-Sky-Conference-Preview-Will-A-Growing-Conference-Result-In-More-Playoff-Teams)

Grizcountry420
July 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Jordan Johnson hasnt been expelled.. He is still on the current roster.

uofmman1122
July 28th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Unless the top teams completely choke non-conference, or lose to horrible conference teams, we should get at least three in this year, probably four. I see it like this:

Montana State 10-1 (6-1)
Montana 9-2 (6-1)
Eastern Washington 9-2 (6-1)
Cal Poly 8-3 (5-2)

All these teams would be locks for the playoffs. Hell, if PSU got to 8-3, with the expanded format, we could even see 5 BSC teams in.

(As far as the UM, MSU, and EWU spread goes, I'm going with the home team in each matchup. MSU loses to only Montana, Montana loses to App State and EWU, and EWU loses to Wazzu and MSU. I think Poly loses to Wyoming, UND and PSU)

Screamin_Eagle174
July 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Unless the top teams completely choke non-conference, or lose to horrible conference teams, we should get at least three in this year, probably four. I see it like this:

Montana State 10-1 (6-1)
Montana 9-2 (6-1)
Eastern Washington 9-2 (6-1)
Cal Poly 8-3 (5-2)

All these teams would be locks for the playoffs. Hell, if PSU got to 8-3, with the expanded format, we could even see 5 BSC teams in.

(As far as the UM, MSU, and EWU spread goes, I'm going with the home team in each matchup. MSU loses to only Montana, Montana loses to App State and EWU, and EWU loses to Wazzu and MSU. I think Poly loses to Wyoming, UND and PSU)

I could see that. Although if JJ doesn't play, I'd subtract a couple wins from UM.

uofmman1122
July 29th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I could see that. Although if JJ doesn't play, I'd subtract a couple wins from UM.Of course you would. xlolx

TBH, I don't think he's coming back. However, I think we'll be fine, because we'll still have one of, if not the best running game in the conference. We don't need our QB to be lights out.

I could see us lose to PSU and MSU, but no one else.

The only teams that really scare me are the ones that throw it a ton (sans ISU xlolx)

sgt smash
July 29th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Ok, now I know I may not be fully informed about UND, but why are they being talked about in the list of top teams? Just because they didnt schedule USF this year does not make them a contender. Perhaps someone could enlighten me????

Twentysix
July 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Cause a team from ND won the NC.

I do think UND will be a perennial challenger in the bigsky, eventually, just not yet.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ok, now I know I may not be fully informed about UND, but why are they being talked about in the list of top teams? Just because they didnt schedule USF this year does not make them a contender. Perhaps someone could enlighten me????

Sorry some people don't see UND as a bottom feeder like I am sure you feel they are. UND will contend just like SDSU did immediately after their transition...NDSU it took them 3 years to make the playoffs. We tend to follow the path of the Jacks.

No_Skill
July 29th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Choke in the playoffs...got it.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Choke in the playoffs...got it.

Nope...get there quickly without a 3 win season.

sgt smash
July 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I didnt mean that UND is gonna be the bottom feeders. I am pretty sure one team in the Big Sky has that locked up. I just dont believe that this year they will contend for an at large bid. In November I may eat crow for saying that. A very very small part of me kinda hopes it happens because regardless of the rivalry with UND, i love to see the Dakotas put on the map in FCS Football.

frozennorth
July 30th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Sorry some people don't see UND as a bottom feeder like I am sure you feel they are. UND will contend just like SDSU did immediately after their transition...NDSU it took them 3 years to make the playoffs. We tend to follow the path of the Jacks.

I don't think we should be trying to peg UND to either teams path. Probably a middle of the pack team for the next few years that will contend for a playoff spot.

Hammerhead
July 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM
How many times has SDSU been in the FCS playoffs? I think UND will be a solid team in the Big Sky and should only get better now that the nickname issue is behind them and the GWFC is history. For now, it looks like the only way NDSU and UND will play is if we meet in the playoffs.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I didnt mean that UND is gonna be the bottom feeders. I am pretty sure one team in the Big Sky has that locked up. I just dont believe that this year they will contend for an at large bid. In November I may eat crow for saying that. A very very small part of me kinda hopes it happens because regardless of the rivalry with UND, i love to see the Dakotas put on the map in FCS Football.

Not sure about one team..I think ISU will battle UNC for that title, sorry if I took your post wrong. It would be nice to see all 4 Dakota teams in the playoffs...Might be hard in the MVFC to have 3 Dakota teams in it.

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I don't think we should be trying to peg UND to either teams path. Probably a middle of the pack team for the next few years that will contend for a playoff spot.

SDSU's quickness to the playoffs with NDSU's result.xthumbsupx

darell1976
July 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
How many times has SDSU been in the FCS playoffs? I think UND will be a solid team in the Big Sky and should only get better now that the nickname issue is behind them and the GWFC is history. For now, it looks like the only way NDSU and UND will play is if we meet in the playoffs.

UND will get better recruits now that the nickname issue is dead (Dale Lennon said UND lost recruits to other schools because of the contraversey), as for being solid...I think it will take a little time maybe within five years UND will be a contender with the usual group of teams (UM, MSU, Cal Poly).