PDA

View Full Version : How Long for Albany & Stony Brook to ramp up in the CAA?

M Ruler
July 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I know its not official but we already know this is a done deal.

The question I have is on average how many years will it take both programs to become very competitive?

SBU is a bit ahead of Albany with facilities and scholarships but you would not have known that last year in the FCS Playoffs. In fact, Albany blew the game on the 3 yard line with 40 seconds and a timeout.

Ford will make them competitive in my opinion day one as will Priore. Problem is Ford is Bobby Bowdon like (Notice I didn't say Paterno like?) in that he is 100 years old and could be looking at retirement in 5 years and Priore will be leaving for "greener pastures" as soon as he can. He wants FBS in the worst way.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
If the rumors are true, I think they step in right away and are competitive. Priore is already there. Ford might take a couple of years but I can't see anyone else at Albany during this transition to full scholarships. This hall-of-fame coach I have to believe would see what they bring.

jmu_duke07
July 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I know its not official but we already know this is a done deal.

The question I have is on average how many years will it take both programs to become very competitive?

SBU is a bit ahead of Albany with facilities and scholarships but you would not have known that last year in the FCS Playoffs. In fact, Albany blew the game on the 3 yard line with 40 seconds and a timeout.

Ford will make them competitive in my opinion day one as will Priore. Problem is Ford is Bobby Bowdon like (Notice I didn't say Paterno like?) in that he is 100 years old and could be looking at retirement in 5 years and Priore will be leaving for "greener pastures" as soon as he can. He wants FBS in the worst way.

Hopefully never

M Ruler
July 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
LOLOLOLOL

UA and SBU will at least be as competitive as JMU will be at the FBS level.

Isin't JMU a hockey school anyway?

MplsBison
July 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Here's the real question: will Albany and SB be as competitive as UNH and Maine?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Here's the real question: will Albany and SB be as competitive as UNH and Maine?

In the long run Albany might have a slightly higher ceiling in terms of generating a stronger fan base and money. I've spent enough time in the capital region to know they love their sports.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
In the long run Albany might have a slightly higher ceiling in terms of generating a stronger fan base and money. I've spent enough time in the capital region to know they love their sports.

Then AE football looks strong.

Come on Vermont and Bing!

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I would love to see Binghamton get a football team. They were the closest D1 team to where I used to live back in PA. Unfortunately, given the bball scandal I can't see the school investing too much money in their athletic program.

I seriously considered BU when I was looking at colleges back in high school. It has an excellent business program.

M Ruler
July 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
As far as Albany fans go it doesnt matter if its the CAA, The AE(If it had football) or the NEC if they ramped up to counter status...we just wanted full scholarship football.

As someone on the CAA boards posted Albany is a sleeping giant.

They get top end athletes now I cant wait to see the athletes they get with 63 scholarships and a new 8000 seat facility( I know JMU you have the best in all the land).

I have heard that a number of local kids that went to play football for Penn State have inquired about playing at Albany next season.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I would love to see Binghamton get a football team. They were the closest D1 team to where I used to live back in PA. Unfortunately, given the bball scandal I can't see the school investing too much money in their athletic program.

I seriously considered BU when I was looking at colleges back in high school. It has an excellent business program.

They are one of the research universities of New York state... you'd think they'd get with the program.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2012, 02:19 PM
They are one of the research universities of New York state... you'd think they'd get with the program.

When your bball team does their best Columbian drug cartel imitation and sullies the schools reputation it's tough to get the board "onboard".

But yes, if BU invested in a football program like they have the hoops team, they could be a legit player in FCS imo. The school has a great academic reputation and is close to the talent rich areas of North Jersey and Eastern PA.

ccd494
July 27th, 2012, 02:33 PM

Both UVM and Binghamton will drop athletics before they add football. You don't understand very much about the northeast, do you?

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Both UVM and Binghamton will drop athletics before they add football. You don't understand very much about the northeast, do you?

UVM and BU are vastly different when it comes to the local "football culture". BU is located much closer to the football hotbeds of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.

NHwildEcat
July 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Screw Vermont....

MplsBison
July 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
LOL!

I love it. Maine and UNH guys get pissed at the thought of Vermont and Bing football.

BlueHenSinfonian
July 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
LOL!

I love it. Maine and UNH guys get pissed at the thought of Vermont and Bing football.

Not only does UVT not play football, Vermont has no Division 1 or 2 football programs at all (they have three Div 3 programs). Only Alaska fares worse with no D1, D2, D3, or NAIA programs. You'd think that if Hawaii can make a football program work that Alaska could.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Not only does UVT not play football, Vermont has no Division 1 or 2 football programs at all (they have three Div 3 programs). Only Alaska fares worse with no D1, D2, D3, or NAIA programs. You'd think that if Hawaii can make a football program work that Alaska could.

Not only doesn't UAA or UAF have football, they both have an odd, in my opinion partial, offering of sports. Men's hockey, of course, is the only thing they can try to sell people. Men's bball is there too, but DII.

Anchorage seems like it would thrive with a big time college football program to support. Sort've like how Boise has BSU now. If they could get a team up there to take off like that, they could recruit players from Hawaii, Samoa, and the entire west coast.