PDA

View Full Version : AAMU Asst FB Coach to Coach Baseball Team

TexasTerror
July 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Interesting read. The Alabama A&M President said moving up from Div II to Div I to participate in the SWAC was made too soon when they went through with it in the late 1990s.

A very interesting move announced in the article is that in "a cost-cutting measure, assistant football coach Jay Martin will coach the baseball team. Jennings said it's not out of the question that other coaches will be asked to take on similar tasks."

Best of luck to AAMU has they try to utilize resource streams they may not have in the past in an effort to sustain their athletic department and avoid drastic cost-cutting moves...

Jennings: A&M move too soon
New president says school going D-I premature, but doesn't foresee switch
Thursday, June 29, 2006
By REGGIE BENSON
Times Sports Staff [email protected]

Alabama A&M president Robert Jennings told The Huntsville Times on Wednesday that had he been at the school in the late 1990s when it made the decision to go from Division II to Division I, he likely would have rejected the move.

In a meeting with The Times' editorial board and reporters, Jennings said A&M wasn't ready to move to the Division I level, but also said it wouldn't likely drop down like Birmingham-Southern recently did. Birmingham-Southern decided to move from Division I to the Division III level two weeks ago.

"You don't ever want to go back," Jennings said. "Had I been here when the decision was made, I would have been trying to encourage us not to do that. To move to Division I, you've got to have a lot of things in place and I'm not so certain the due diligence had been done in order to make us successful. "

http://www.al.com/aam/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1151572775248950.xml&coll=1