PDA

View Full Version : FCS vs FBS Week one potential upsets, who do you think has the best shot?

eagle07
July 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Im giving Chattanooga a fighting chance against south florida, i will be watching that one if they can keep south florida under 35pts I think there is a good chance.

msupokes1
July 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I think McNeese has a pretty good chance against Middle Tennessee State.

eagle07
July 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I tell you what, I wish we had penn state scheduled in a bout 2 years LOL

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Im giving Chattanooga a fighting chance against south florida, i will be watching that one if they can keep south florida under 35pts I think there is a good chance.

On paper, yes. But UTC has no heart.

asumike83
I think there are several FCS teams who have a shot to pull the upset. In no particular order:

Appalachian @ East Carolina
Towson @ Kent State
McNeese State @ Middle Tennessee
Eastern Washington @ Idaho
Eastern Kentucky @ Purdue
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana
Chattanooga @ South Florida

Of those 8 games, I think there will be about 3 FCS wins. Honestly, it may be an upset if Idaho doesn't lose.

BR54Niner
I think McNeese has a pretty good chance against Middle Tennessee State.

Agree.

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 26th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I think there are several FCS teams who have a shot to pull the upset. In no particular order:

Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

Of those 8 games, I think there will be about 3 FCS wins. Honestly, it may be an upset if Idaho doesn't lose.

EWU over Idaho is the only one I would be confident in. The odds of the 3 FCS teams winning out of that group are pretty low imo.

asumike83
July 26th, 2012, 02:34 PM
EWU over Idaho is the only one I would be confident in. The odds of the 3 FCS teams winning out of that group are pretty low imo.

Not sure how they are projected for 2012 but unless Middle Tennessee and Kent State are significantly improved from 2011, they could be in trouble. Those are the 3 that I'm most confident in but we'll see.

eagle07
July 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure how they are projected for 2012 but unless Middle Tennessee and Kent State are significantly improved from 2011, they could be in trouble. Those are the 3 that I'm most confident in but we'll see.

Agree, I think Towson in particular has a better than avg shot at the upset.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Agree, I think Towson in particular has a better than avg shot at the upset.

Kent State is a middle of the road MAC team which is usually good enough to take care of a quality FCS team. Towson certainly has a shot in this game but the Golden Flashes are probably a little better than some think.

chattownmocs
July 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM

South Florida has some talent. That wouldn't be my top choice for an upset. The defense needs to keep them a lot lower than 35 if they want to win IMO.

chattownmocs
July 26th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

South Florida is probably the most talented FBS team there. Of course the same could be said about Chattanooga on the FCS level.

aust42
July 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
William & Mary is a LOCK to beat Maryland September 1st. Maryland had half their team transfer last year(three to my Bluehens) and they'll be lucky to win a game this coming year. Towson drove up and down the field on MD last year with ease, but had too many turnovers and a couple dropped TD's to lose the game 28-3, JMU was a missed field goal away from beating them in '09, and they beat the worst team in Delaware's history 14-7 in '08. If William & Mary executes and plays well I don't see MD beating them.

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
On paper, yes. But UTC has no heart.

UNCC has no team.

Squealofthepig
July 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
How is Richmond at Virginia not being discussed?

There are quite a few other FCS @ FBS games going on; SEMO at Central Michigan could be intriguing (though that would definitely be an upset, directional-Michiganness notwithstanding). Elon at North Carolina, Sac State @ New Mexico State, SUU @ Utah State, NAU @ Arizona State also all struck me as interesting, especially Elon, even if the Tarheels are supposed to be getting a lot better.

Also, Minnesota travels to UNLV, rather than host NDSU again. Heh.

SF State Gaters
July 26th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Sac State at NMSU
NAU at UNLV
EWU at Idaho or Wazzu

although, EWU at Idaho isn't really an upset at this point...

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM

There are quite a few other FCS @ FBS games going on; SEMO at Central Michigan could be intriguing (though that would definitely be an upset, directional-Michiganness notwithstanding). Elon at North Carolina, Sac State @ New Mexico State, SUU @ Utah State, NAU @ Arizona State also all struck me as interesting, especially Elon, even if the Tarheels are supposed to be getting a lot better.

Also, Minnesota travels to UNLV, rather than host NDSU again. Heh.

Don't worry. I think MN is paying UNH to come beat them a week later.

cbarrier90
July 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
especially Elon, even if the Tarheels are supposed to be getting a lot better.

Elon may lose on the field, but they'll "win" this game after UNC goes on sanctions again...

McNeese75
July 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

South Florida is probably the most talented FBS team there. Of course the same could be said about Chattanooga on the FCS level.

Only by you.
I'm sure at least ASU fans would disagree

Silenoz
July 26th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Of course the same could be said about Chattanooga on the FCS level.

lmao

BR54Niner
July 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
UNCC has no team.

We'll be a D1 team before yourselves. Stick to what you know, D2 championships.

HailSzczur
July 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM

We're talking the same Richmond that is picked to finish 9th in the CAA right?

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2012, 06:30 PM
We'll be a D1 team before yourselves. Stick to what you know, D2 championships.

...........so? How many championships at any level has UNCC won in football? Here's to having another FBS cupcake available to get paid to beat.

UNIFanSince1983
July 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I know it wouldn't be much of an upset, but UNI will beat Wisconsin... :)

Okay nevermind!

ElCid
July 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

I think here are 4 potentials with App and EW having the best chance.

ElonFirefighter
July 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Elon may lose on the field, but they'll "win" this game after UNC goes on sanctions again...

hey i keep telling my coworkers Elon will win!!!! come on sanctions

Sycamore51
July 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I would put the ISU vs. IU game within 10 points either way. It will all come down to a passing game and our kicking game. If we make pick up a few long passing plays and can make20-35 yard field goals then we will win. No timing in the passing game and no kicking then IU by 10.

I-16Bandit
July 26th, 2012, 10:22 PM

Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

I wish Georgia Southern could play one of those FBS teams...

WataugaDave
July 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Obviously I hope that Appalachian wins the Battle of the Beards, but I don't think we have the best shot of those listed. I agree that EWU will probably win it.

I'll put money on App beating ECU, but not a lot of money.

frozennorth
July 27th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

purdue should be pretty decent this year as well. Chatt is probably on the weaker half of the teams on that list.

Tribe4SF
July 27th, 2012, 06:12 AM

Virginia is a whole new animal since Mike London took over. Don't expect this one to be close.

UMaineD
July 27th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Maine @ Boston. I believe Maine has a shot to win this one

RabidRabbit
July 27th, 2012, 12:38 PM
And SDSU @ Kansas. Kansas is picked to finish last, has a new coach, and first game. This has the feel of NDSU @ KU from 2010.

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
And SDSU @ Kansas. Kansas is picked to finish last, has a new coach, and first game. This has the feel of NDSU @ KU from 2010.

True that. It will be interesting if Sumner is able to sling the ball around against KU...probably going to need to find a rushing attack though. Its definately a Wild Card of a game.

Bam
July 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
purdue should be pretty decent this year as well. Chatt is probably on the weaker half of the teams on that list.

I read this report on Purdue--Purdue is loaded with good veterans, lots of speed and athleticism, and enough talent among the starters to compete with anyone in the conference. Tough one for EKU, but anything is possible!

GSU_Alum08
July 27th, 2012, 02:47 PM
GSU will beat UGA..... seeing is how there is plenty more time for most of UGA starters to get arrested and kicked off the team.... lol

Screamin_Eagle174
July 27th, 2012, 02:57 PM
If we don't beat Idaho, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
If we don't beat Idaho, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

If we don't beat Colorado State the week after, I will join you in being thoroughly disappointed.

DJKyR0
July 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM

http://i.imgur.com/jUFeo.jpg

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 27th, 2012, 08:17 PM
NDSU vs Colorado State

I will be surprised if NDSU loses this game. CSU is a piss-poor FBS team that has a new coach.

NDSU by 2 TDs

frozennorth
July 28th, 2012, 05:44 AM
NDSU vs Colorado State

I will be surprised if NDSU loses this game. CSU is a piss-poor FBS team that has a new coach.

NDSU by 2 TDs
yes, everyone knows ndsu is going to pump CSU, unfortunately this thread is about opening week.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 07:41 AM
The biggest potential win I see is EWU over Idaho. I have been reading Idaho's fan boards recently. They are an athletic program in DIRE STRAITS. They are talking about scheduling an indy FBS schedule for three years and thinking it will actually work.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM
yes, everyone knows ndsu is going to pump CSU, unfortunately this thread is about opening week.

I don't think anyone should pencil in NDSU as a sure win just yet, but the Bison should definitely be the favorite in that one.

I was on the CSU message board recently. They have almost NO idea who we are and they have NO CLUE of what their team is about to get themselves into on 9/8 (My 30th Birthday).

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 12:45 PM
The biggest potential win I see is EWU over Idaho. I have been reading Idaho's fan boards recently. They are an athletic program in DIRE STRAITS. They are talking about scheduling an indy FBS schedule for three years and thinking it will actually work.

If that doesn't work, I-AA football in the Big Sky sure as heck isn't going to solve any financial problems for them. Might as well kill the program at that point.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Maybe. I recall a certain 2008 team that was supposed to sleep walk to the national title. Everything started going downhill with a loss at Wyoming and then the following week they lost at Youngstown.

whoanellie
July 29th, 2012, 04:12 PM
W&M could probably win last years HC game in that case. UNC will get something for their academic fraud, and it all started with a tweet!!

Screamin_Eagle174
July 29th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Have you read the two EWU threads over there from the last couple weeks? Holy $**T are they some delusional SOBs! xlolx

Aug 30th cannot come soon enough.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Have you read the two EWU threads over there from the last couple weeks? Holy $**T are they some delusional SOBs! xlolx

I think EWU will beat Idaho and send the Vandals back to the Big Sky. At least there they can make some money and play in their 15,000 Kibbie Dome with at least 9,000 people in it, instead of being in the FBS in front of 5,000 people. You don't make money with a less than half empty building especially in the FBS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Maybe. I recall a certain 2008 team that was supposed to sleep walk to the national title. Everything started going downhill with a loss at Wyoming and then the following week they lost at Youngstown.

Roehl hurting his ankle against CCSU was the start. The WYO loss was in OT. Nobody blew out the Bison that year, injuries and bad breaks happen.

Squealofthepig
July 29th, 2012, 07:24 PM
instead of being in the FBS in front of 5,000 people. You don't make money with a less than half empty building especially in the FBS.

That's a bit disingenuous; they (Idaho) averaged 11,980 last year, 12,730 in 2010 and 12,500 in 2009.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think EWU will beat Idaho and send the Vandals back to the Big Sky. At least there they can make some money and play in their 15,000 Kibbie Dome with at least 9,000 people in it, instead of being in the FBS in front of 5,000 people. You don't make money with a less than half empty building especially in the FBS.

Ah yes. Therefore, they should move DOWN to a lower classification in order to get more fans to come watch Idaho football. I'm sure moving down to the minor leagues will invigorate the fanbase to purchase tickets.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Roehl hurting his ankle against CCSU was the start. The WYO loss was in OT. Nobody blew out the Bison that year, injuries and bad breaks happen.

You're correct on all counts.

That said, there's no reason some key players couldn't get hurt against Robert Morris, NDSU goes on to lose to Colorado St in OT with the injured players trying to play to get the W and hurting themselves worse, then goes to Cedar Falls 3 weeks later still without those players and loses to UNI.

That would put a serious dent in the season and hopes of getting back to the playoffs. At least this time they were smart enough to space the FBS game and the tough MVFC away game farther apart than back to back weeks.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM
You're correct on all counts.

That said, there's no reason some key players couldn't get hurt against Robert Morris, NDSU goes on to lose to Colorado St in OT with the injured players trying to play to get the W and hurting themselves worse, then goes to Cedar Falls 3 weeks later still without those players and loses to UNI.

That would put a serious dent in the season and hopes of getting back to the playoffs. At least this time they were smart enough to space the FBS game and the tough MVFC away game farther apart than back to back weeks.

Injuries happen to every team. Hopefully the Bison stay healthy this year. But, IMO if Roehl stayed healthy in 08, that team would have easily made the playoffs and would have been a contender for the NC.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
If Roehl didn't get hurt vs. CCSU, the Bison beat Wyoming and Youngstown the following week.

They back into the playoffs with that disgusting home loss to SDSU (with Mertens' last pass ever being the game ending INT) and hopefully that puts a fire under their butts unlike anything seen yet that season. Probably similar to 2010. They host a game and then go on the road against some schmuck Big Sky team, which they beat.

TheBisonator
July 29th, 2012, 09:09 PM

One of their fans said that South Dakota State is not an academic peer of theirs. Which is TOTALLY wrong. Both U of Idaho and SDSU (as well as the Montana schools, NDSU, UND and USD) have almost identical missions.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Ah yes. Therefore, they should move DOWN to a lower classification in order to get more fans to come watch Idaho football. I'm sure moving down to the minor leagues will invigorate the fanbase to purchase tickets.

Being in a conference where they could challenge for a national title would put butts in the seats...being in the Indy league where you have a lot of road games and host FCS teams with no chance of even a Bowl game will NOT put butts in the seats.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM
That's a bit disingenuous; they (Idaho) averaged 11,980 last year, 12,730 in 2010 and 12,500 in 2009.

Its only going to get worse since the 2010 and 2009 where when Idaho was a Bowl team and hosted Boise State both have waived bye bye to them. They will be lucky to crack 10,000 this year.

MSUBear42
July 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
What? No one picking the obvious Missouri State over Kansas State upset?

DJKyR0
July 29th, 2012, 11:06 PM
What? No one picking the obvious Missouri State over Kansas State upset?

I agree with the sentiment that Kansas is so bad that beating Missouri State could be seen as an upset.

344Johnson
July 29th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I agree with the sentiment that Kansas is so bad that beating Missouri State could be seen as an upset.

Kansas State. cough.

DJKyR0
July 29th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Kansas State. cough.

Whoops. Sentimental agreement retracted.

Seriously though, and nothing against Bears fans, but I hope this one turns into a blowout. It benefits NDSU immensely if the Wildcats breeze through a hapless FCS opponent the year before facing the Bison in Manhattan, priming the game for the upset special.

Appaholic
July 30th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Appalachian @ East Carolina (requisite homer pick)
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

Screamin_Eagle174
July 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

moosbah
August 16th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Whoops. Sentimental agreement retracted.

Seriously though, and nothing against Bears fans, but I hope this one turns into a blowout. It benefits NDSU immensely if the Wildcats breeze through a hapless FCS opponent the year before facing the Bison in Manhattan, priming the game for the upset special.

I'm a Bison as well, but having spent a few years watching the Wildcats in Manhattan, I can tell you that that atmosphere is much different than any NDSU has played in at the FBS level. Their crowd is VERY involved and they have a coach that is the king of not overlooking opponents. I know EKU almost snuck one out there last season, but look at what the Cats did after that. I don't see us winning that game.

bjtheflamesfan
August 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Liberty is a longshot against Wake. I think for us to have a chance itll rest on the defense. we have some talented DBs but I am interested in how the front 7 do getting to Price.

TheRevSFA
August 16th, 2012, 01:57 PM
UCA over Ole Miss.

mountaineer in Cane Land
August 16th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Apps got a shot, ECU was awful last year, and nothing seems to have changed, talent wise, Apps pretty close. Our problem is our starters are so dam young, tought to get freshman, redshirt freshman, and sophmores playing at the high level needed to win the game.

AmsterBison
August 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm calling an FCS sweep... er, wait, 7-1.

TTUEagles
August 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm a Bison as well, but having spent a few years watching the Wildcats in Manhattan, I can tell you that that atmosphere is much different than any NDSU has played in at the FBS level. Their crowd is VERY involved and they have a coach that is the king of not overlooking opponents. I know EKU almost snuck one out there last season, but look at what the Cats did after that. I don't see us winning that game.

Took in the TTU @ K-State game 3 years ago and thought it was a fun place, great crowd/atmosphere, etc. I was, frankly, surprised.
I can't believe no one thinks that the defending OVC Champs have a chance at Oregon this year! xrolleyesx

Sycamore51
August 17th, 2012, 07:12 AM
INST 31 IU 24

moosbah
August 17th, 2012, 11:20 AM
INST 31 IU 24

I can definitely see this one coming to fruition.

busybee14
August 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wagner over FAU on 8-31 !!! May seem like a longshot,but a bunch of South Florida players on Wagner squad getting to come home and play against a D1 school who doesnt recruit their own backyard hardly at all. They let a lot of good talent slip away from a very talent rich recruiting area.Will be a lot of local support for the Seahawks and could really turn into a great game.I hope anyway !!

penguinpower
August 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think Youngstown State may have an outside shot at Pitt.

penguinpower
August 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think Youngstown State may have an outside shot at Pitt. Certainly not the best in comparison to other match-ups

skinny_uncle
August 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
INST 31 IU 24

I think you have a shot. Good luck with it.

Cocky
August 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM
JSU should beat Arkansas by 14+, I just do not see this game being close.

eagle07
August 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Apparently im the only one on the board that thinks chatty has a chance, Robinson can cause some problems....

asumike83
August 20th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Apparently im the only one on the board that thinks chatty has a chance, Robinson can cause some problems....

Honestly, I just don't know enough about what South Florida brings to the table to make a prediction. Chattanooga is a talented team for sure but USF could be loaded for all I know. Really do not follow Big East football at all.

LeadBolt
August 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
OK, fortified with kool-aid, here goes:

Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana

Also, I know it is a long shot, but I'll go with:

William & Mary @ Maryland, W&M Seniors finish 2-2 vs the ACC and CAA goes 2-2 vs. FBS in 1st week. Ahh, the kool-aid is good....

EmeryZach
August 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Definitely going to be Towson over Kent State. No question. Lock of the week.

bonarae
August 29th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Here are mine:

Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana (long shot though)
Tennessee-Martin @ Memphis (another long shot, some have omitted this)

aust42
August 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
OK, fortified with kool-aid, here goes:

Also, I know it is a long shot, but I'll go with:

William & Mary @ Maryland, W&M Seniors finish 2-2 vs the ACC and CAA goes 2-2 vs. FBS in 1st week. Ahh, the kool-aid is good....

This game is the LOCK of the week with the offshore line W&M +13 at MD. W&M wins this game outright. MD might have the worst team they have ever fielded this year and will be lucky if they can win one game. Considering they have a true freshman QB starting due to injuries, a few other key injuries, and 8-10 players that transferred that leaves MD young and depleted.

Since I'll miss my Bluehens Thursday night, I'll be attending this game and cheering on my CAA brothers. Good luck!

bonarae
August 29th, 2012, 05:17 PM
With respect to aust42,

I also forgot William and Mary @ Maryland.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Definitely going to be Towson over Kent State. No question. Lock of the week.

I just don't see it. The middling to good MAC teams almost never lose to FCS squads.

Skjellyfetti
August 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
East Carolina announced Wednesday that it suspended three wide receivers for its season opener against Appalachian State on Saturday.

Senior Dayon Arrington, sophomore Danny Webster and redshirt freshman Antonio Cannon were suspended for violating team policy, Pirates head coach Ruffin McNeill said.

http://www.newschannel34.com/sports/story/East-Carolina-suspends-3-for-season-opener/O4bXiQ77HUmObEPdbKO3eQ.cspx?rss=125

xcoffeex

Team who couldn't run the ball last year and will be breaking in a new QB... losing 3 receivers on the 2-deep is quite intriguing...

EmeryZach
August 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I just don't see it. The middling to good MAC teams almost never lose to FCS squads.

Towson is strong this year. They're going to surprise a lot of people. FCS Championship contender for sure.

UNH Fanboi
August 30th, 2012, 03:04 PM
This game is the LOCK of the week with the offshore line W&M +13 at MD. W&M wins this game outright. MD might have the worst team they have ever fielded this year and will be lucky if they can win one game. Considering they have a true freshman QB starting due to injuries, a few other key injuries, and 8-10 players that transferred that leaves MD young and depleted.

Since I'll miss my Bluehens Thursday night, I'll be attending this game and cheering on my CAA brothers. Good luck!

The line you cited means that Maryland is favored by almost 2 TDs. Not sure how that helps you argument.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Towson is strong this year. They're going to surprise a lot of people. FCS Championship contender for sure.

Towson won't be sneaking up on anyone this year. They were able to pull that off last season.

KSU returns 17 starters from a pretty respectable squad. The Tigers will have to play exceptionally well to have a chance to win imo.

LeadBolt
August 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
The line you cited means that Maryland is favored by almost 2 TDs. Not sure how that helps you argument.

I'll gladly take W&M and two touchdowns...

UNH Fanboi
August 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I'll gladly take W&M and two touchdowns...

Now I see what he means

frozennorth
August 30th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Towson @ Kent State
Liberty @ Wake Forest
Indiana State @ Indiana
William & Mary @ Maryland