PDA

View Full Version : Jack Crowe comments on FBS possibilities at OVC Media Day

asumike83
July 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I know the topic has been beaten to death but I saw this posted elsewhere and thought it was interesting enough to share. Jacksonville State head coach Jack Crowe was interviewed yesterday at the OVC Media Day and had the following to say about JSU's FBS intentions:

http://www.examiner.com/article/college-football-jacksonville-state-may-be-headed-to-the-wac?cid=db_articles

Will Aubrey: Three or four years ago you told me that you were considering moving to the Football Bowl Subdivision. Is that something you are still considering?

Jack Crowe: The board has made the statement that we are going to investigate that. But we haven't run our program differently because of that statement. It looks like there will be five or six FCS schools that are going to be pulled into the bottom of the WAC. And we'd like to have a discussion to see if we're one of them.

There could be six, seven, or eight of us. But none of those discussions are going on. Letters have been exchanged. There's some reality to it. But is it going to go anywhere? I don't know.

Obviously nothing has been decided at this point but if nothing else, it seems that the idea is not completely dead like many people (myself included) thought. This still seems like a bit of a long shot to me but several schools appear to be keeping their options open.

Thoughts?

Gringer1
July 25th, 2012, 09:51 AM
It can't work because transitional FBS schools have to play a full FBS schedule. If your conference consists of 6 transitional schools, you can't make that requirement. To stay an FBS conference, you have to have 8 members. With the potential additions not joining for at least a year, the WAC will only have 2 teams next year, disqualifying it. It simply won't work on too many levels.

asumike83
July 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
It can't work because transitional FBS schools have to play a full FBS schedule. If your conference consists of 6 transitional schools, you can't make that requirement. To stay an FBS conference, you have to have 8 members. With the potential additions not joining for at least a year, the WAC will only have 2 teams next year, disqualifying it. It simply won't work on too many levels.

I agree, it is a logistical nightmare. My assumption is that the NCAA would grant the WAC a waiver if it meant they would not have to fold as a football conference. Still very doubtful but it is something to talk about in the offseason!

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM

Last time I checked 2 + 6 = 8. Right?

Idaho, New Mexico St + 6 from I-AA = 8 teams in the WAC, which is the requirement for it to stay a I-A conference.

Gringer1
July 25th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Last time I checked 2 + 6 = 8. Right?

Idaho, New Mexico St + 6 from I-AA = 8 teams in the WAC, which is the requirement for it to stay a I-A conference.

8 FBS members, which they won't have next year because FCS schools would have had to begin transition this year. The WAC will spend at least 1 year without a full FBS membership, which disqualifies them.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 11:22 AM
8 FBS members, which they won't have next year because FCS schools would have had to begin transition this year. The WAC will spend at least 1 year without a full FBS membership, which disqualifies them.

A) I don't think that's correct. Seems like they get at least a 2 year grace period per the rules, but not sure why I'm saying that.

B) If a reasonable plan is in place, they won't be disqualified. They'll get a waiver.

TheRevSFA
July 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM
App State and Idaho will not be in the same conference.

If they need 6 schools they'll probably look at

Montanas (which will decline)
Sac State
Portland State
Lamar
Sam Houston
Jax State
SFA (who won't go)

Note..the schools listed have markets...Save for SFA and J State

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Sac State
Portland State
Lamar
Sam Houston
Jax State
SFA (who won't go)

Throw in Weber.

They have the market and they have the facilities to go I-A right now. And as a bonus, they have a solid bball program and arena - not as good as Utah St, mind you, but pretty good.

They'll also probably decline, but never hurts to ask.

BEAR
July 25th, 2012, 11:33 AM
No you guys have it all wrong....those rules can be "suspended" depending on how much money the conference gives the NCAA. xlolx..Geez..I thought you knew that...xlolx

Cocky
July 25th, 2012, 01:31 PM
J

Sac State
Portland State
Lamar
Sam Houston
Jax State
SFA (who won't go)

JSU is in the Birmingham market which is top 50. Population is around 800,000 to 900,000 within 50 miles. It is about the same 50 mile population as Mobile.

TheRevSFA
July 25th, 2012, 01:46 PM
J

JSU is in the Birmingham market which is top 50. Population is around 800,000 to 900,000 within 50 miles. It is about the same 50 mile population as Mobile.

Good stuff..thought you were further out. Thanks for the info.

SU DOG
July 25th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Am I missing something here? In what way would being a member in this league possibly be good for JSU?

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM
J

Not looking for a fight here...but J'ville is 85 miles to B.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Am I missing something here? In what way would being a member in this league possibly be good for JSU?

I-A. That's it.

jmufan999
July 25th, 2012, 06:49 PM
edit

Redbirdz
July 25th, 2012, 09:51 PM
JSU as a BCS member would not only double its game guarantees (to $2 million a year) but could reschedule its old rival, Troy, on a home and home and UAB too which would be a crowd pleaser. More thought has gone into this than many realize and I look for it to happen in 1-2 years. FCS teams moving up in a football only WAC would probably be JSU, Liberty, Georgia Southern (yes for foootball only), Lamar, North Dakota State and maybe Sam Houston. With that, things might look more appealing to Ap and one more. Then add Idaho and NM State. We are talking football only here. The WAC is on hold until it gets its basketball league put back together. That is its vital first step.

Gringer1
July 26th, 2012, 12:39 AM
JSU as a BCS member would not only double its game guarantees (to $2 million a year) but could reschedule its old rival, Troy, on a home and home and UAB too which would be a crowd pleaser. More thought has gone into this than many realize and I look for it to happen in 1-2 years. FCS teams moving up in a football only WAC would probably be JSU, Liberty, Georgia Southern (yes for foootball only), Lamar, North Dakota State and maybe Sam Houston. With that, things might look more appealing to Ap and one more. Then add Idaho and NM State. We are talking football only here. The WAC is on hold until it gets its basketball league put back together. That is its vital first step.

You think a conference containing a few very cash strapped members with travel to all corners of the country would be a good idea? O_o

asumike83
July 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
WAC Media Day was yesterday and it was stated by the commissioner that he planned to announce new members within 2-3 weeks. I expect it will likely just be non-football members to keep the conference alive. However, it would keep the door open for this "WAC East" football idea in the future.

Biggest hurdle I see from Appalachian's standpoint is what to do with the other sports. I doubt the SoCon/CAA would allow ASU to be members without bringing football and I'm not crazy about playing all other sports in the A-Sun. Travel would just be insane for an all-sports conference.

goyotes
July 26th, 2012, 08:40 AM
This quote from the attached blog is interesting "we were able to discover that he (WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd) will be making an announcement in the next 2 to 3 weeks about possible new members joining the WAC for football.

http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/ - under WAC Media Day 2

asumike83
July 26th, 2012, 08:49 AM
This quote from the attached blog is interesting "we were able to discover that he (WAC commissioner Jeff Hurd) will be making an announcement in the next 2 to 3 weeks about possible new members joining the WAC for football.

http://bilofootball.blogspot.com/ - under WAC Media Day 2

Cool, thanks for posting. I saw the interview after day one where he just said new members in 2-3 weeks without specifying football. Very interesting. I'd think this has to affect some FCS teams, as there are certainly not any FBS teams planning a jump to the WAC. I'll be curious to see if it is only schools in the WAC footprint or if the East coast idea actually has legs.

MplsBison
July 26th, 2012, 08:50 AM

One correction, there is no more BCS (after 2014).

It's just I-A now. There are currently 11 I-A conferences, one of which would need to invite Jax St for them to move up. WAC is possible.

MplsBison
July 26th, 2012, 08:56 AM
WAC Media Day was yesterday and it was stated by the commissioner that he planned to announce new members within 2-3 weeks. I expect it will likely just be non-football members to keep the conference alive. However, it would keep the door open for this "WAC East" football idea in the future.

Biggest hurdle I see from Appalachian's standpoint is what to do with the other sports. I doubt the SoCon/CAA would allow ASU to be members without bringing football and I'm not crazy about playing all other sports in the A-Sun. Travel would just be insane for an all-sports conference.

The WAC / Big Sky merger makes the most sense.

The Big Sky won't get an additional auto bid if it absorbs the WAC members and the NCAA tournament credits earned by Nevada and Utah St will be lost. Having too many members also can be unwieldy.

And both sides would view it as a potential "open door" for the other side's football members to come over. Big Sky wants Idaho football. WAC wants to take Sac St, Portland St, Montanas, etc.

MplsBison
July 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Cool, thanks for posting. I saw the interview after day one where he just said new members in 2-3 weeks without specifying football. Very interesting. I'd think this has to affect some FCS teams, as there are certainly not any FBS teams planning a jump to the WAC. I'll be curious to see if it is only schools in the WAC footprint or if the East coast idea actually has legs.

Like I've been saying - if the WAC dies, nothing is going to replace it. It will be 10 I-A conferences and that's it.

Why waste all that history for nothing?

They'll make something work, keep both the WAC and WAC football alive, in some fashion. Money isn't going to be the problem, given the credits staying behind (Nevada and Utah St leaving out) and the new $$ shares from the I-A playoff.

major095
July 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
One correction, there is no more BCS (after 2014).

It's just I-A now. There are currently 11 I-A conferences, one of which would need to invite Jax St for them to move up. WAC is possible.

once you've moved up, you don't have to be in the wac forever. what does it take for a group(or one) of fbs schools to start a new conference?

MplsBison
July 26th, 2012, 03:05 PM
once you've moved up, you don't have to be in the wac forever. what does it take for a group(or one) of fbs schools to start a new conference?

Yes, once you're in - then it might be possible to start a new conference. I don't know what it takes, however. I'm sure there are rules - like a minimum of 8 members. And probably they would not allow a newly forming conference to pull up more members from I-AA. You'd need 8 schools already in the I-A for some years to then regroup as a new conference.