PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel..

NFLCB2
June 30th, 2006, 11:21 AM
How did you feel about the NCAA trying to make 1-AA being called 1-A and making a 12 games schedule

NoCoDanny
June 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I felt shame.

NFLCB2
June 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM
You dont think it would have been a good move

Retro
June 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM
The NCAA didn't try to make I-AA be called I-AA. They were eliminating the I-A/I-AA Suffixes altogether and just calling I-AA something like the Playoff Championship series, but all would be simply called Div I.

EKU05
June 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Yes, the idea was not to call everyone 1A, but to eliminate the use of "A" altogether. The 12 game schedule would be a great thing if it can be worked out.

kats89
June 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM
They need to leave the I-AA nomenclature alone and just play football. I really think that the I-AA level of football is really starting to catch attention around the country since more games are being televised, along with the playoff games as well. Over the last several years, there have been some awesome I-AA playoff games on tv. Still to this day when I wear my Bearkat ballcap around, I have people talk to me about the amazing comeback in 2004 vs E. Washington. What an incredible ballgame.

The NCAA just needs to leave it alone and deal with real issues at hand. I really don't have any opinion on 12 game schedules. On the positive side it would just mean more college football on tv.:hurray:

TexasTerror
June 30th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I want to be called Division I. We are Division I and should not have people think that our programs are Div II programs. I-AA and I-A, whether it Ohio State, Montana St, Florida St or Idaho State...all Division I football programs...

paytonlives
June 30th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I feel like this classification actually hurts Basketball more. I have heard several BSC basketball coaches (all are Div 1) say that when they recruit against the likes of Oregon or Washington State, those coaches make it a point to say UM (or the BSC schools) are a I-AA program. Even though in Basketball they are on the exact same level.

I would prefer the dropping of I-AA, and this will happen in the next 2 years. That would mean that the Idaho's, Boise's and Nevada's of the world were "back" in the Grizzlies division.

This (Again) is all part of the NCAA master plan that will let the top 64 1A football programs break into a Mega Division. Then the top I-AA and lower 1A will become the playoff division. It is going to happen, so if you are a lower I-AA program you might get "left out" and dropped down to Division 2.

EKU05
June 30th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I agree that it hurts basketball more. The perception of the school via the football program can be an achilles heal for recruiting.

Under no circumstances will programs be involuntarily dropped to Division II. The NCAA has just recently become very adament about all Division I schools playing football in Division I, and they won't waiver on that. Now of course there is a trend toward seperating the wheat from the chaff in I-A, but there are two many things that would be impractical about making an official seperation of the "top 64" programs (by the way there are 65 BCS conference football teams...12 SEC, 12 Big 12, 12 ACC, 10 Pac-11, 11Big 10, and 8 Big East...also there maybe more if the Big East chooses to expand in football which many think they will).

But to make my original point again...the NCAA is not in the business of making teams drop down because they can. They have proven that by letting teams like Middle Tennessee, Eastern Michigan, and Louisiana-Monroe stay in Division I-A. It would be even messier (and a terrible PR move) to make a team drop not only its football program but its entire athletic program down to Division II just because they have some grand scheme. The NCAA probably has a master plan, but it will play out more in terms of the distribution of wealth than in official classification. That's all any of those big time schools REALLY care about anyway.

NFLCB2
June 30th, 2006, 07:42 PM
I also think its a matter of wealth because Stony Brook is moving out of mid-major not because of talent but because they have the money and facilities

GeauxColonels
July 3rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
Now of course there is a trend toward seperating the wheat from the chaff in I-A, but there are two many things that would be impractical about making an official seperation of the "top 64" programs (by the way there are 65 BCS conference football teams...12 SEC, 12 Big 12, 12 ACC, 10 Pac-11, 11Big 10, and 8 Big East...also there maybe more if the Big East chooses to expand in football which many think they will).
Just for my own benefit, are you saying there are 10 teams in the Pac-11 or 11 teams in the Pac-10? Or was it just a typo all together?