PDA

View Full Version : Morbid Topic But Relevant

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Northwestern's head football coach just died suddenly of a heart attack. His tenure there predates Mark Murphy as AD, who left Colgate to go there. Murphy has already poached one Colgate coach (women's hoops).

Any odds on him contacting Biddle? God I hope not. I know Biddle is very happy here and has said that he only wants to coach here (and Duke before they snubbed him).

This has me a wee bit concerned. Murphy is the man that took a chance on Biddle in 1995. Also, it's been a while, but don't overlook the fact that Biddle has Big 10 experience at Minnesota. I'm actually more than a wee bit concerned.... They do have some significant staff posibilities in Jerry Brown (asst. head coach, former D coordinator) and maybe Greg Colby (d coordinator). Thoughts anyone????

SunCoastBlueHen
June 30th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Sounds like Biddle may only be interested in a job at a school with a reputable program and a solid academic reputation. I believe Northwestern fits that bill. Of course there are way too many "ifs" and variables for there to be any real immediate concern from the Colgate contingent, but it is an interesting scenario.

Go...gate
June 30th, 2006, 11:26 AM
No question that Biddle will be a leading candidate. This is a good fit for him, and Murphy obviously has great faith in him.

LUHawker
June 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Northwestern's head football coach just died suddenly of a heart attack. His tenure there predates Mark Murphy as AD, who left Colgate to go there. Murphy has already poached one Colgate coach (women's hoops).

Any odds on him contacting Biddle? God I hope not. I know Biddle is very happy here and has said that he only wants to coach here (and Duke before they snubbed him).

This has me a wee bit concerned. Murphy is the man that took a chance on Biddle in 1995. Also, it's been a while, but don't overlook the fact that Biddle has Big 10 experience at Minnesota. I'm actually more than a wee bit concerned.... They do have some significant staff posibilities in Jerry Brown (asst. head coach, former D coordinator) and maybe Greg Colby (d coordinator). Thoughts anyone????

From a competitive standpoint I wish him a fond farewell, but truth be told Biddle is a major asset to Colgate and the the perception of PL football. He consistently produces winners even is supposedly "down" years. Still, I would think that this type of opportunity would be one of the very few he would consider seriously and if I were in your shoes, I would be worried as well. Nonetheless, Colgate has a very strong program and while it all begins at the top, his possible departure won't result in Colgate missing too many steps along the way.

carney2
June 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
It seems to me that Northwestern is no longer the bottom feeder/laughing stock of the Big Ten and that they would want a coach with proven I-A credentials and recruiting contacts. I like Biddle a lot. I'm not so certain that I like him for this situation.

Having stuck my neck out, I now ask myself if I can spell

JIM TRESSEL

who jumped from Youngstown State to Ohio State and hasn't done so bad.

We'll miss you, Dick.

Go...gate
June 30th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Tressel/OSU is indeed the blueprint here; add to it the fact that Mark Murphy, Northwestern AD, hired Biddle when he was AD at Colgate.

SunCoastBlueHen
June 30th, 2006, 02:03 PM
You guys are making this sound more and more like a real possibility. :eek: :eek: :eek:

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Things against Biddle:

- Timing. Sixty days until the season. It might be easier to do an interim deal with a current staff member before looking for a true replacement.
- "Personality". I believe his public face isn't necessarily what a Big Ten/BCS program is looking for. This of course, is tempered by Murphy all ready knowing what he's all about.
- Biddle's desires. The guy has spent an enormous amount of time at Colgate and is in his late 50s. He can basically ride into the sunset here as a legend. He's paid very well and for the most part has a supportive administration. I also (humbly) think that he's almost got the parts in place for another 'big year' a la 2003's run. 2007 and particularly 2008 are shaping up to be 'big' years. He could be eyeing that prize so to speak.

Well, for all of Colgate's sake, I hope that Murphy acts fast and names an interim. The program IS solid and won't founder if Biddle left, but he is the heart and soul of this program right now. I'm not ready to say goodbye to that just yet!

OL FU
June 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Things against Biddle:

- Timing. Sixty days until the season. It might be easier to do an interim deal with a current staff member before looking for a true replacement.
- "Personality". I believe his public face isn't necessarily what a Big Ten/BCS program is looking for. This of course, is tempered by Murphy all ready knowing what he's all about.
- Biddle's desires. The guy has spent an enormous amount of time at Colgate and is in his late 50s. He can basically ride into the sunset here as a legend. He's paid very well and for the most part has a supportive administration. I also (humbly) think that he's almost got the parts in place for another 'big year' a la 2003's run. 2007 and particularly 2008 are shaping up to be 'big' years. He could be eyeing that prize so to speak.

Well, for all of Colgate's sake, I hope that Murphy acts fast and names an interim. The program IS solid and won't founder if Biddle left, but he is the heart and soul of this program right now. I'm not ready to say goodbye to that just yet!

What does paid well mean? A lot of Furman people thought Johnson would not leave. Vanderbuilt walked in with a salary package five times that of Furman's. Johnson is younger than Biddle, but we all thought our saving grace would be that he would see Vanderbuilt as a school that could not win.

Well 2006 will be his fourth year making five times as much as he did at FU. :eek:

I hope he does not leave. He at least needs to wait until after 2008:smiley_wi

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Just watched the Northwestern press conference. Murphy states that time to talk about the future of the program is not not. Any decision like that will be made at the appropriate time.

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 02:30 PM
What does paid well mean? A lot of Furman people thought Johnson would not leave. Vanderbuilt walked in with a salary package five times that of Furman's. Johnson is younger than Biddle, but we all thought our saving grace would be that he would see Vanderbuilt as a school that could not win.

Well 2006 will be his fourth year making five times as much as he did at FU. :eek:

I hope he does not leave. He at least needs to wait until after 2008:smiley_wi

Very true. There is not doubt in my mind that Biddle is paid like a senior full professor at Colgate, making in the low to mid 100's. That said, a Big 10 contract will likely be 5 times that. Money does talk.... but so does the pressure and atmosophere. If Biddle just wanted a I-A, he'd be at Buffalo right now or somewhere else. Northwestern is that 'special' mix that might make him think twice. The second big question is, will Murphy come calling?

OL FU
June 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Very true. There is not doubt in my mind that Biddle is paid like a senior full professor at Colgate, making in the low to mid 100's. That said, a Big 10 contract will likely be 5 times that. Money does talk.... but so does the pressure and atmosophere. If Biddle just wanted a I-A, he'd be at Buffalo right now or somewhere else. Northwestern is that 'special' mix that might make him think twice. The second big question is, will Murphy come calling?

I believe that is why Johnson went to Vandy. Conference (SEC), Academics and Dinero:D

LBPop
June 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM

Let me raise a slightly different angle. What sort of environment did Biddle grow up in? If he likes the relatively quiet, out-of-the-way nature of Hamilton (no offense intended or implied), then I would think that the size of Chicago plus the pressure of the Big Ten would be less appealing. BUT, if he is from a large urban environment, all of that plus the dollars plus the ego bump could be difficult for him to turn down.

Having said all that, I think Biddle has turned Colgate football into a successful "program". A good (not necessarily great) coach would keep things moving forward and keep them successful. Would hate to see him go, but I would wish him all the best should he have the opportunity.

As an aside, I am a big Mark Murphy fan. He was a perfect example of how someone can excel at the highest level (NFL) on effort and intelligence. One of my favorite NFL stories is when Tom Landry ripped his receivers one day while preparing for the Redskins when he said (I may be paraphrasing), "Hell, I could outrun Murphy!" xlolx

colgate13
June 30th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Biddle is from Parkersburg, West Virginia. Wikipedia puts it as a city of 33,000. I fashion him to be more rural than urban.

LBPop
June 30th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Biddle is from Parkersburg, West Virginia. Wikipedia puts it as a city of 33,000. I fashion him to be more rural than urban.

Maybe there's a reason he's in Hamilton and was attracted to Durham. Chicago might just not be for him. Of course several hundred thousand reasons could have a modest impact on that decision should Murphy come knocking. :rolleyes:

carney2
June 30th, 2006, 03:16 PM
is in his late 50s

Bingo! This may be the big chink in his armor. I did not know that he was this old.

LBPop
June 30th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Bingo! I did not know that he was this old.

Hey! Watch that! ;) :rolleyes: :bawling:

Go...gate
June 30th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry, one's fifties is not old anymore....Anybody look at Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden lately?

TheValleyRaider
June 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I thought I had heard/read that Northwestern was going to go with an interim coach for the upcoming season, then begin looking for a permanent successor after this year is over. Biddle's name might come up then, but I think the aforementioned move would make more sense given how much time is left before next season. Besides, Northwestern is built to play run-and-gun, why would you want to bring in a hard-nosed, ball-control coach at this point in the offseason?

Go...gate
June 30th, 2006, 06:26 PM
No doubt Northwestern will elevate an assistant to interim head coach for the season, but Biddle has to be one of the leading candidates. And as far as the offense goes, Biddle can be flexible. He has worked with the Wing-T, Wishbone and Power-I. The Spread involves a lot of running, right up Biddle's alley. And as somebody said above, he will have hundreds of thousands of reasons to seriously consider the challenge at Northwestern.

It is tough to think about it, but I think this could be Biddle's last season at Colgate. : smh :

catdaddy2402
June 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
With the timeframe I'd look for an Asst. Coach to do the interim thing this season, and a national search ongoing throughout the season with an announcement just before the end of the season. With the Colgate ties to the AD Biddle will probably get a look, but there's likely to be a legal pad long list of canidates for the job.

ngineer
June 30th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Bingo! This may be the big chink in his armor. I did not know that he was this old.

Watch you language...;) I'm very close to that classification, I'm considering a 'second' career right now, so I wouldn't consider that a huge factor. However, I think what matters the most, at his age, is 'what do I need?' If he's perfectly happy where he is, what he's being paid covers all he really needs, he can stay as long as he wants,what does he want his legacy to be? He can stay another 10 years and leave more of a legend in Hamilton than Kerr or Dunlap.

carney2
June 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Sorry, one's fifties is not old anymore....Anybody look at Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden lately?

Both were "in place" in I-A with solid reputations and quite a few of those record number of wins in the rear view mirror by the time they hit their "late 50s." Point being that I don't think that many programs are looking for a guy nearing 60 with no I-A credentials to steer their ship.

midwestgold
July 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM
if anybody,after the interim process,gets the job,it will be Pat Fitzgerald,the current recruiting coordinator and linebacker coach.He is very,very well thought of in the NU community.Jerry Brown probably gets the transition job for 1 year.