PDA

View Full Version : Portland State adds big time transfer

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Texas Southern DE Marquis Jackson has landed at Portland State. That's a big time transfer and a name the SWAC has known for a long time.

eagle1
July 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Doesn't he have to sit out the 2012 season though!

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Doesn't he have to sit out the 2012 season though!

No. He has graduated and was given an unconditional release. He will play in 2012.

laxVik
July 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Nice p/u!

JALMOND
July 28th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Anyone know the situation why he is transferring to Portland State? I've been unable to confirm this with PSU even though it has been reported on the national line. It seems to be a different situation than with Myles Wade last year (Wade was a Portland kid who wanted to play his final year in front of friends, his father and his disabled sister), while Jackson is from Northridge, CA and seemed to be getting ample playing time at TSU. Just wondering why a kid who is a two-time All SWAC first teamer would want to transfer his senior year and why PSU is rather hush hush with it.

lionsrking2
July 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Anyone know the situation why he is transferring to Portland State? I've been unable to confirm this with PSU even though it has been reported on the national line. It seems to be a different situation than with Myles Wade last year (Wade was a Portland kid who wanted to play his final year in front of friends, his father and his disabled sister), while Jackson is from Northridge, CA and seemed to be getting ample playing time at TSU. Just wondering why a kid who is a two-time All SWAC first teamer would want to transfer his senior year and why PSU is rather hush hush with it.

Pretty obvious why they wouldn't want to release it ... transfers don't sign letters of intent and are pretty much fair game until classes start. One, they probably don't want to draw the attention since he's a grad school kid and could go anywhere, and secondly, they're probably not 100% certain he's gonna show up. Best just to wait until he's in classes to make any announcement. That's the way it should be with all transfers unless the transfer himself is dead set on where he's going and wishes to tell the media.

smallcollegefbfan
July 29th, 2012, 12:03 AM

What lionsrking2 said is partially why. PSU put him on the roster and mentions him in their preseason notes so they are starting to put it out there but just not doing a separate release.

He transferred because of some untrue things told to him by the previous head coach at TSU who left for reasons that relate to Jackson leaving. Jackson has also stated behind closed doors that he really wants the NFL and wants to face tougher competition. Since he graduated and can transfer he decided to go somewhere else, and he certainly gets tougher competition in the Big Sky.

JALMOND
July 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
What lionsrking2 said is partially why. PSU put him on the roster and mentions him in their preseason notes so they are starting to put it out there but just not doing a separate release.

He transferred because of some untrue things told to him by the previous head coach at TSU who left for reasons that relate to Jackson leaving. Jackson has also stated behind closed doors that he really wants the NFL and wants to face tougher competition. Since he graduated and can transfer he decided to go somewhere else, and he certainly gets tougher competition in the Big Sky.

Makes sense, kind of. I just wanted to make sure there was no attitude issues or any off field incidents and could not seem to find anything up here on him. Last season, Wade made it a point to say he was coming to play his last year in front of friends and family in Portland, and I thought that was kind of the norm. Doing it this way when the kid is not from your area does seems right, however.

darell1976
July 29th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I get to see him in person Sept 8th when UND hosts PSU. I know the coaching staff at UND will be watching this guy on film. Good pick up PSU.

Thundar
July 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
How is this kid considred a "big time" transfer? just curious the SWAC isnt exactly an elite conference and neither is Texas Southern

just asking